Road Cycling · Public discussion

car free life tests commuters' skills

Started by Claire Petersky · · Last activity · 9 posts · 297 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
7 September 2006
Last activity
11 September 2006
Original author
Claire Petersky
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
297
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Perhaps of interest:

    http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/1310ap_business_of_life.html

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
    See the books I've set free at: http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

  2. Nice article, thnx for sharing
    dave
    "Claire Petersky" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Perhaps of interest:

    http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/1310ap_business_of_life.html

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
    See the books I've set free at: http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

  3. Claire Petersky said:

    Perhaps of interest:

    http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/1310ap_business_of_life.html

    Not too bad, it's nice to see a good balance of pluses and minuses in
    this sort of story instead of just "OMG, they live without cars!" The
    section on dating was particularly interesting. I know some posters
    have talked about that aspect here, and I know some people who've had
    the same issue.

    Quoted message said:

    But there are also social downsides to going car-free. In Cedar Rapids,
    Iowa, 23-year-old Andy Becker is happy going most places on his bicycle,
    but getting a date has proved hard.

    Quoted message said:

    "It just seems (women) aren't as excited about the fact that I don't own
    a car, and don't want to own a car, as I am," Becker wrote on
    Bikeforums.net, asking other bikers for advice.

    Luckily, I was already married before I became addicted to the bicycle.
    So mostly I just get the occasional eyeroll or "Yes, dear" rather than
    having to worry about getting a date.

    Quoted message said:

    Giving up the car is easiest if you don't have young kids, but with
    some ingenuity and planning, even that can be done.

    This is really the sticking point for us. I can do grocery shopping on
    the bike. I live close enough to a hardware store that even large loads
    are doable (especially with the truck rental thing Lowes does). But
    hauling two kids around is a little too challenging on a full time basis
    for my wife. Especially considering she's only sort of interested in
    cycling.

    An Xtracycle equipped with StokeMonkey might help the situation for
    her. Perhaps if the car is nearing retirement when I have that setup
    for her, it might discourage the purchase of a new one.

    --
    Dane Buson - [email hidden]
    An intellectual is someone whose mind watches itself.
    -- Albert Camus

  4. "Dane Buson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Giving up the car is easiest if you don't have young kids, but with
    some ingenuity and planning, even that can be done.

    This is really the sticking point for us. I can do grocery shopping on
    the bike. I live close enough to a hardware store that even large loads
    are doable (especially with the truck rental thing Lowes does). But
    hauling two kids around is a little too challenging on a full time basis
    for my wife. Especially considering she's only sort of interested in
    cycling.

    An Xtracycle equipped with StokeMonkey might help the situation for
    her. Perhaps if the car is nearing retirement when I have that setup
    for her, it might discourage the purchase of a new one.

    If you're patient, eventually they'll get older, and then a more car-free
    lifestyle will be much easier. Hang on, and they'll be riding themselves.

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
    See the books I've set free at: http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

  5. Claire Petersky said:

    Perhaps of interest:

    http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/1310ap_business_of_life.html

    All the articles that get written about people that live without a car
    are really not doing that much for the cycling world. While I am sure
    that a few people will read that article and say maybe I can do that
    bicycle commute thing or maybe I can go car-free. But I don't think that
    many will actually make it reality.

    I am a strong advocate of the bicycle as a viable alternative to the
    motor vehicles that 95% of Americans are addicted to as their only means
    of transportation. I have not driven my car in about 7 months.

    Ken
    --
    Messengers and mountain bikers share a common chromosome. ~James Bethea

  6. Ken C. M. said:
    Claire Petersky said:

    Perhaps of interest:

    http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/1310ap_business_of_life.html

    All the articles that get written about people that live without a car
    are really not doing that much for the cycling world. While I am sure
    that a few people will read that article and say maybe I can do that
    bicycle commute thing or maybe I can go car-free. But I don't think that
    many will actually make it reality.

    I am a strong advocate of the bicycle as a viable alternative to the
    motor vehicles that 95% of Americans are addicted to as their only means
    of transportation. I have not driven my car in about 7 months.

    Too many people's brains ossify on too many subjects to agree re:
    car-free articles. I don't really expect many people to take up a
    car-free lifestyle based on reading an article. I don't really expect
    many people to take up a car-free lifestyle based on meeting you.
    However, exposure to an idea like this may start to wean people away
    from their car addiction, and I'm guessing the article will be seen by
    far more people than talk to you (or any other utility cyclist by choice).

    I suspect there is some fraction of the people exposed to these ideas
    that may think, "Gee, I don't need to drive to pay off that bill, it's
    just a couple of miles," or whatever their introduction to utility
    cycling will be. That's the spark people need to start to change. And
    the more sparks, like this article, they come across, the more people
    are likely to start cycling. That's why such articles are good and
    valuable, IMHO.

    Pat

  7. Claire Petersky said:

    "Dane Buson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Giving up the car is easiest if you don't have young kids, but with
    some ingenuity and planning, even that can be done.

    This is really the sticking point for us. I can do grocery shopping on
    the bike. I live close enough to a hardware store that even large loads
    are doable (especially with the truck rental thing Lowes does). But
    hauling two kids around is a little too challenging on a full time basis
    for my wife. Especially considering she's only sort of interested in
    cycling.

    An Xtracycle equipped with StokeMonkey might help the situation for
    her. Perhaps if the car is nearing retirement when I have that setup
    for her, it might discourage the purchase of a new one.

    If you're patient, eventually they'll get older, and then a more car-free
    lifestyle will be much easier. Hang on, and they'll be riding themselves.

    Yes, I know, but it does seem like a *loooong* stretch.

    Still and all, life has become markedly easier in general since the
    littlest one turned two.

    --
    Dane Buson - [email hidden]
    We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question which divides us is
    whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct. My own feeling
    is that it is not crazy enough. -- Niels Bohr

  8. "Dane Buson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Claire Petersky said:

    "Dane Buson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    >Giving up the car is easiest if you don't have young kids, but with
    > some ingenuity and planning, even that can be done.

    This is really the sticking point for us. I can do grocery shopping on
    the bike. I live close enough to a hardware store that even large


    loads

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    are doable (especially with the truck rental thing Lowes does). But
    hauling two kids around is a little too challenging on a full time


    basis

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    for my wife. Especially considering she's only sort of interested in
    cycling.

    An Xtracycle equipped with StokeMonkey might help the situation for
    her. Perhaps if the car is nearing retirement when I have that setup
    for her, it might discourage the purchase of a new one.

    If you're patient, eventually they'll get older, and then a more


    car-free

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    lifestyle will be much easier. Hang on, and they'll be riding


    themselves.

    Quoted message said:


    Yes, I know, but it does seem like a *loooong* stretch.

    Still and all, life has become markedly easier in general since the
    littlest one turned two.

    Start taking the little ones on bike rides now. I think it makes them more
    likely to want to ride with you later. And obviously, on family bike rides,
    if you are the one pulling the kids your wife might enjoy the ride more.

  9. Cathy Kearns said:

    "Dane Buson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:
    Claire Petersky said:


    If you're patient, eventually they'll get older, and then a more
    car-free lifestyle will be much easier. Hang on, and they'll be
    riding themselves.

    Yes, I know, but it does seem like a *loooong* stretch.

    Still and all, life has become markedly easier in general since the
    littlest one turned two.

    Start taking the little ones on bike rides now. I think it makes them
    more likely to want to ride with you later. And obviously, on family
    bike rides, if you are the one pulling the kids your wife might enjoy
    the ride more.

    Oh I do. Right before I read your post I had taken the eldest on a
    short shopping trip on the grocery bike. Her little sister was asleep,
    so while we were out her mother had some relief.

    We stopped in the ID to pick up a goldfish (a replacement) and stopped
    at our favorite Asian grocer and picked up a little fruit and
    vegetables.

    --
    Dane Buson - [email hidden]
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog it's too
    dark to read. -- Groucho Marx

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.