UK and Europe · Public discussion

Car Clubs - A Cool Idea

Started by Artemisia · · Last activity · 80 posts · 1,316 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
26 October 2007
Last activity
3 November 2007
Original author
Artemisia
Posts
80
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,316
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 80
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Very interesting article in THE INDEPENDENT today.

    Car-parks, in housing developments and elsewhere, offering cars for
    easy and affordable hourly rental along a sort of Velib system, so
    that people can have cars when they need them (to go to IKEA, etc.)
    without having to own them.

    http://money.independent.co.uk/property/homes/article3088193.ece

    I hope this takes off in a lot of countries.

    EFR
    Ile de France (for example)

  2. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    Very interesting article in THE INDEPENDENT today.

    Car-parks, in housing developments and elsewhere, offering cars for
    easy and affordable hourly rental along a sort of Velib system, so
    that people can have cars when they need them (to go to IKEA, etc.)
    without having to own them.

    http://money.independent.co.uk/property/homes/article3088193.ece

    I hope this takes off in a lot of countries.

    I belong to Streetcar and it works very well. Doesn't replace my main
    car but means I use it a lot less and it allows me to cycle more knowing
    that I can pick up and use a car when needed at the end of the journey
    rather than taking my car with me on the journey.

    --
    Tony

    " I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong."
    Bertrand Russell

  3. In news:[email hidden],
    Artemisia <[email hidden]> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:

    Quoted message said:

    http://money.independent.co.uk/property/homes/article3088193.ece

    "There is a problem with the page you are trying to reach and it cannot be
    displayed." Bah!

    IIRC this is fairly widespread in Germany. We once - about ten years ago -
    had a German chap come to stay with a view to selling the idea to various
    London councils but nothing seemed to come of it at the time, though I dimly
    recall seeing an item about such a thing on one of the TV motorcar shows.

    --
    Dave Larrington
    <http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk>
    This Unit is a productive Unit.

  4. Artemisia said:

    Very interesting article in THE INDEPENDENT today.

    Car-parks, in housing developments and elsewhere, offering cars for
    easy and affordable hourly rental along a sort of Velib system, so
    that people can have cars when they need them (to go to IKEA, etc.)
    without having to own them.

    Pal of mine is in one in Edinburgh. The trick seems to be a certain
    density of population, which sadly doesn't seem to be present in Dundee
    :-(

    It also depends on what usage you want to make. Typically, such cars
    are very popular at weekends for obvious reasons, and that's when we'd
    want one, and we'd want it for the whole weekend and we'd want it with
    roof-bars, which doesn't fit the generic sort of vehicle wanted in our
    case. But that by no means invalidates the thing on a general basis!

    Work has introduced pool cars for NHST business and they're popular and
    doing well. Only catch was I couldn't get one last time I needed one as
    they were booked out already that day...

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  5. In article <[email hidden]>,
    Artemisia
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    Very interesting article in THE INDEPENDENT today.

    Car-parks, in housing developments and elsewhere, offering cars for
    easy and affordable hourly rental along a sort of Velib system, so
    that people can have cars when they need them (to go to IKEA, etc.)
    without having to own them.


    It's almost like public transport that works. :-)

  6. "Artemisia" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Very interesting article in THE INDEPENDENT today.

    Car-parks, in housing developments and elsewhere, offering cars for
    easy and affordable hourly rental along a sort of Velib system, so
    that people can have cars when they need them (to go to IKEA, etc.)
    without having to own them.

    http://money.independent.co.uk/property/homes/article3088193.ece

    I hope this takes off in a lot of countries.

    Bristol's been doing it for years, and is expanding it all the time.

  7. Peter Clinch said:

    Pal of mine is in one in Edinburgh. The trick seems to be a certain
    density of population, which sadly doesn't seem to be present in Dundee
    :-(

    Stroud, population 10,000 has one. Keenness for green issues probably
    helps - the Green party run the town council, the mayor can be seen
    round town on his bike. I'd have thought Dundee was easily big enough
    to support one, you just need a few people who are pushy enough to get
    it going.

    Rob

  8. In uk.rec.cycling Tony Raven said:

    I belong to Streetcar and it works very well. Doesn't replace my main

    I've joined WizzGo in York and it's excellent.

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune PGP/GPG Key: http://www.clune.org/pubkey.txt
    The struggle of people against power is the struggle
    of memory against forgetting - Milan Kundera

  9. Artemisia said:

    Very interesting article in THE INDEPENDENT today.

    Car-parks, in housing developments and elsewhere, offering cars for
    easy and affordable hourly rental along a sort of Velib system, so
    that people can have cars when they need them (to go to IKEA, etc.)
    without having to own them.

    http://money.independent.co.uk/property/homes/article3088193.ece

    I hope this takes off in a lot of countries.

    EFR
    Ile de France (for example)

    FlexCar seems to be picking up here in the States. Not sure about its
    European counterparts, but Flex car has several locations around the
    city with only one or two cars. You simply make your reservation ahead
    of time and a magic fairy comes and gives you the keys. The spaces are
    reserved for that specific car only (very obviously painted) so you just
    drop it back off when your done. I wish I new more of the details.

    \\paul

  10. In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden]
    says...

    Quoted message said:


    FlexCar seems to be picking up here in the States. Not sure about its
    European counterparts, but Flex car has several locations around the
    city with only one or two cars. You simply make your reservation ahead
    of time and a magic fairy comes and gives you the keys. The spaces are
    reserved for that specific car only (very obviously painted) so you just
    drop it back off when your done. I wish I new more of the details.

    Streetcar its even easier. Go to their website to check availability
    and book the car. Walk up to car, wave Smart Card at windscreen to
    unlock it, retrieve keys from glove box dispenser by entering your PIN
    code, start car and drive off. There are pretty hefty charges for late
    returns so getting there and finding the car not back from the previous
    hirer is rare. In the same way as Flex, the parking space is clearly
    marked out and reserved.

    --
    Tony

    " I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong."
    Bertrand Russell

  11. Tony Raven said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden]
    says...

    Quoted message said:


    FlexCar seems to be picking up here in the States. Not sure about its
    European counterparts, but Flex car has several locations around the
    city with only one or two cars. You simply make your reservation ahead
    of time and a magic fairy comes and gives you the keys. The spaces are
    reserved for that specific car only (very obviously painted) so you just
    drop it back off when your done. I wish I new more of the details.

    Streetcar its even easier.

    All of these ideas sound great. Unfortunately, I see that Streetcar does
    not have a presence anywhere noticeably north of London and Whizzgo only
    has a presence in larger cities.

    Cheers,
    Luke

    --
    Red Rose Ramblings, the diary of an Essex boy in
    exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

  12. "Artemisia" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Very interesting article in THE INDEPENDENT today.

    Car-parks, in housing developments and elsewhere, offering cars for
    easy and affordable hourly rental along a sort of Velib system, so
    that people can have cars when they need them (to go to IKEA, etc.)
    without having to own them.

    http://money.independent.co.uk/property/homes/article3088193.ece

    PhillyCarShare, now five years old, has been immensely successful. I know a
    number of people who have moved back into the city and now don't own cars,
    and the availability of this service was very influential in their choice.
    There are several different models for this; PhillyCareShare's
    not-for-profit approach seems to be working very well.

    And I've never had a bad traffic encounter with someone driving one of their
    cars, either.

    http://www.phillycarshare.org/index.php

    r

  13. On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 23:54:08 -0700, Artemisia <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Very interesting article in THE INDEPENDENT today.

    Car-parks, in housing developments and elsewhere, offering cars for
    easy and affordable hourly rental along a sort of Velib system, so
    that people can have cars when they need them (to go to IKEA, etc.)
    without having to own them.

    http://money.independent.co.uk/property/homes/article3088193.ece

    I hope this takes off in a lot of countries.


    Vancouver BC had the first English speaking car co-op in the world.

    http://www.cooperativeauto.net/
    --
    zk

  14. Tony Raven said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    Very interesting article in THE INDEPENDENT today.

    Car-parks, in housing developments and elsewhere, offering cars for
    easy and affordable hourly rental along a sort of Velib system, so
    that people can have cars when they need them (to go to IKEA, etc.)
    without having to own them.

    http://money.independent.co.uk/property/homes/article3088193.ece

    I hope this takes off in a lot of countries.

    I belong to Streetcar and it works very well. Doesn't replace my main
    car but means I use it a lot less and it allows me to cycle more knowing
    that I can pick up and use a car when needed at the end of the journey
    rather than taking my car with me on the journey.

    does look a intresting idea, i don't think i would get much use out of
    it, (most of my car use is long distance travel)

    roger
    --
    www.rogermerriman.com

  15. In rec.bicycles.misc Paul Myron Hobson said:

    FlexCar seems to be picking up here in the States. Not sure about its
    European counterparts, but Flex car has several locations around the
    city with only one or two cars. You simply make your reservation ahead
    of time and a magic fairy comes and gives you the keys. The spaces are
    reserved for that specific car only (very obviously painted) so you just
    drop it back off when your done. I wish I new more of the details.

    One car club has been around in Helsinki for many years now, and it
    seems they currently have a few dozen locations around the metropolitan
    area. The system seems to be pretty well thought out, based on what's
    on their website:

    "Club members can make reservations either online or use the 24-hour
    reservation service (0200 242424). When making reservation they need to
    decide what type of car they need, plus where and when they will pick it
    up and return it. The car can be accessed by calling the opening number
    (0200 88111) with a mobile phone. Next, the individual.s PIN number is
    requested and then the last three digits of the car registration number.
    After this, the central locking system will open the doors and the car
    is ready for use. The keys will be inside the car. During the
    reservation, the car functions normally, locking and unlocking works
    with the key. When returning the car, the keys are left inside and
    personal belongings are removed. A phone call to the closing number
    (0200 88222) will lock the doors. The used time and driven kilometres
    will be sent electronically to the central billing system. The car is
    free for the next booking."

    URL: http://www.citycarclub.info/en/

    Never tried it, but no doubt a system like this can be very sensible for
    people who only have an occasional need for a car.

    Antti

  16. In article <[email hidden]>, Tony Raven
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    I belong to Streetcar and it works very well. Doesn't replace my main
    car but means I use it a lot less and it allows me to cycle more knowing
    that I can pick up and use a car when needed at the end of the journey
    rather than taking my car with me on the journey.

    I was tempted to use Streetcar - they have two vehicles parked near me -
    but the UKP150 registration put me off. Have they since waived that? The
    last time I rented a car, to collect an ebay purchase from elsewhere in
    London, I got one from Six-t for UKP15 plus petrol. Much less than a
    taxi would have cost me for the journey there and back.
    --
    congokid
    Eating out in London? Read my tips...
    http://congokid.com

  17. "Paul Myron Hobson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Artemisia said:

    Very interesting article in THE INDEPENDENT today.

    Car-parks, in housing developments and elsewhere, offering cars for
    easy and affordable hourly rental along a sort of Velib system, so
    that people can have cars when they need them (to go to IKEA, etc.)
    without having to own them.

    http://money.independent.co.uk/property/homes/article3088193.ece

    I hope this takes off in a lot of countries.

    Quoted message said:

    FlexCar seems to be picking up here in the States. Not sure about its
    European counterparts, but Flex car has several locations around the city
    with only one or two cars. You simply make your reservation ahead of time
    and a magic fairy comes and gives you the keys. The spaces are reserved
    for that specific car only (very obviously painted) so you just drop it
    back off when you're done. I wish I new more of the details.

    We also have flexcar (http://www.flexcar.com/) in Seattle. There's no magic
    fairy. You waive your flex car over the reader; the keys are in the
    glovebox.

    We're considering using flexcar at our workplace. Since nearly all of our
    workforce comes in by public transporation (we have two regular car drivers
    and four regular cyclists), most people don't have a car around if they need
    to go somewhere "in the field". Driving to work is hugely inconvenient and
    parking is expensive. The idea is, if you did have somewhere you needed to
    go during the work day, you could use the flexcar. Since a lot of them get
    better gas mileage than people's personal cars, using flexcar would be
    better for the environment, too.
    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
    See the books I've set free at: http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

  18. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:


    I was tempted to use Streetcar - they have two vehicles parked near me -
    but the UKP150 registration put me off. Have they since waived that? The
    last time I rented a car, to collect an ebay purchase from elsewhere in
    London, I got one from Six-t for UKP15 plus petrol. Much less than a
    taxi would have cost me for the journey there and back.

    Its currently £49.50 a year but those who, like me, joined before June
    this year get Founder Member status with the membership fee waived :-)
    http://streetcar.co.uk/pricing-Membership.aspx

    --
    Tony

    " I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong."
    Bertrand Russell

  19. Ekul Namsob said:
    Quoted message said:

    Streetcar its even easier.

    All of these ideas sound great. Unfortunately, I see that Streetcar does
    not have a presence anywhere noticeably north of London and Whizzgo only
    has a presence in larger cities.

    Well, Streetcar - on a page which you can't reach except via a script,
    how silly - say that all you need to do is offer an off-road parking
    space for a Streetcar in your area:

    Give Streetcar a home!

    Do you have an allocated parking space? Then we want to hear
    from you! Streetcar homes need to be available and accessible 24
    hours a day, 7 days a week. You must also have the legal right
    to let out the space.

    I have a red Skoda that needs an MoT and to be shifted from the
    driveway. Then there'll be a space for a Streetcar there.

    Daniele

  20. D.M. Procida said:
    Ekul Namsob said:
    Quoted message said:

    Streetcar its even easier.

    All of these ideas sound great. Unfortunately, I see that Streetcar does
    not have a presence anywhere noticeably north of London and Whizzgo only
    has a presence in larger cities.

    Well, Streetcar - on a page which you can't reach except via a script,
    how silly - say that all you need to do is offer an off-road parking
    space for a Streetcar in your area:

    Give Streetcar a home!

    Do you have an allocated parking space? Then we want to hear
    from you! Streetcar homes need to be available and accessible 24
    hours a day, 7 days a week. You must also have the legal right
    to let out the space.

    I have a red Skoda that needs an MoT and to be shifted from the
    driveway. Then there'll be a space for a Streetcar there.

    That's a fine idea. It's unfortunate that, as a two car family, we don't
    have space for one.

    Cheers,
    Luke

    --
    Red Rose Ramblings, the diary of an Essex boy in
    exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.