Triathlon ยท Public discussion

Cant get enough breath in whilst exercising! :s

Started by cheryl ยท ยท Last activity ยท 7 posts ยท 959 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Triathlon
Published
22 June 2006
Last activity
30 June 2006
Original author
cheryl
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
959
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1โ€“7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello ๐Ÿ™‚

    I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas as to how i could improve
    a problem I have with my breathing....

    I'm pretty fit nowadays, after loosing 2 and a half stone in the last
    few years, and I've done a lot of cycling, up to distances of 300k in
    one day, so, i'm no weakling.....

    Over the winter, and until now, i've been doing 4 times weekly RPM
    spinning classes, which are pretty hard going, you average burning off
    about 600 calories in the 45 min session, and my HR has got up to
    187bpm at times.

    However, one thing i'm finding really frustrating is that quite often,
    I simply can't get the breath into my lungs (and this is NOT at the
    point of exhaustion/highest exhertion etc). My chest tenses up, and I
    literally have to stop moving in order to gulp air in. Sometimes, even
    in the breaks between tracks in teh RPM class, I'm unable to get air in
    even by the time we start the next exercise, which is really annoying,
    as that time my muscles etc are really feeling fine and ready to go
    again!

    I always thought that with cycling related exercise, the muscles would
    tire with the lactic acid etc, but I often cannot get to that point as
    first of all I can't breath. I have to try and force myself to yawn in
    order to get the breath in, and can really feel the tension in my
    chest.

    It gets worse when i think about it, so, i'm wondering if it's partly
    psychosymatic (or however you spell it!), but, i've often forgot about
    it totally when it hits me, so, i dont think it's just that...

    I always used to think it was because i wasnt fit enough - but i'm one
    of the fitest people in the gym now with a reputation for hammering it
    somewhat, so, although i'm hardly an athlete, i'm certainly not the
    couch potato i once was before i started all this exercise malarky! ๐Ÿ™‚

    And ideas as to what i can do would be most appreciated! ๐Ÿ™‚

    thanks, Cheryl ๐Ÿ™‚

  2. Have you ruled out allergies resulting in chest congestion or possibly a
    mild case of asthma? Depending on the season my allergies can cause me
    similar problems.
    "cheryl" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hello ๐Ÿ™‚

    I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas as to how i could improve
    a problem I have with my breathing....

    I'm pretty fit nowadays, after loosing 2 and a half stone in the last
    few years, and I've done a lot of cycling, up to distances of 300k in
    one day, so, i'm no weakling.....

    Over the winter, and until now, i've been doing 4 times weekly RPM
    spinning classes, which are pretty hard going, you average burning off
    about 600 calories in the 45 min session, and my HR has got up to
    187bpm at times.

    However, one thing i'm finding really frustrating is that quite often,
    I simply can't get the breath into my lungs (and this is NOT at the
    point of exhaustion/highest exhertion etc). My chest tenses up, and I
    literally have to stop moving in order to gulp air in. Sometimes, even
    in the breaks between tracks in teh RPM class, I'm unable to get air in
    even by the time we start the next exercise, which is really annoying,
    as that time my muscles etc are really feeling fine and ready to go
    again!

    I always thought that with cycling related exercise, the muscles would
    tire with the lactic acid etc, but I often cannot get to that point as
    first of all I can't breath. I have to try and force myself to yawn in
    order to get the breath in, and can really feel the tension in my
    chest.

    It gets worse when i think about it, so, i'm wondering if it's partly
    psychosymatic (or however you spell it!), but, i've often forgot about
    it totally when it hits me, so, i dont think it's just that...

    I always used to think it was because i wasnt fit enough - but i'm one
    of the fitest people in the gym now with a reputation for hammering it
    somewhat, so, although i'm hardly an athlete, i'm certainly not the
    couch potato i once was before i started all this exercise malarky! ๐Ÿ™‚

    And ideas as to what i can do would be most appreciated! ๐Ÿ™‚

    thanks, Cheryl ๐Ÿ™‚

  3. cheryl said:

    Hello ๐Ÿ™‚

    I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas as to how i could improve
    a problem I have with my breathing....

    I'm pretty fit nowadays, after loosing 2 and a half stone in the last
    few years, and I've done a lot of cycling, up to distances of 300k in
    one day, so, i'm no weakling.....

    Over the winter, and until now, i've been doing 4 times weekly RPM
    spinning classes, which are pretty hard going, you average burning off
    about 600 calories in the 45 min session, and my HR has got up to
    187bpm at times.

    However, one thing i'm finding really frustrating is that quite often,
    I simply can't get the breath into my lungs (and this is NOT at the
    point of exhaustion/highest exhertion etc). My chest tenses up, and I
    literally have to stop moving in order to gulp air in. Sometimes, even
    in the breaks between tracks in teh RPM class, I'm unable to get air in
    even by the time we start the next exercise, which is really annoying,
    as that time my muscles etc are really feeling fine and ready to go
    again!

    I always thought that with cycling related exercise, the muscles would
    tire with the lactic acid etc, but I often cannot get to that point as
    first of all I can't breath. I have to try and force myself to yawn in
    order to get the breath in, and can really feel the tension in my
    chest.

    It gets worse when i think about it, so, i'm wondering if it's partly
    psychosymatic (or however you spell it!), but, i've often forgot about
    it totally when it hits me, so, i dont think it's just that...

    I always used to think it was because i wasnt fit enough - but i'm one
    of the fitest people in the gym now with a reputation for hammering it
    somewhat, so, although i'm hardly an athlete, i'm certainly not the
    couch potato i once was before i started all this exercise malarky! ๐Ÿ™‚

    And ideas as to what i can do would be most appreciated! ๐Ÿ™‚

    thanks, Cheryl ๐Ÿ™‚

    You may have asthma. If so you should see your dr. Does it get worse at
    night, after you work out?

    However, I would like to ask you if you are breathing into your chest,
    or into your stomach. Try to breath so that you push down into your
    diaphragm and outward. Fill the lower back, the stomach, the upper back,
    and only then fill into your chest. Don't just fill the chest, only
    stressed people breathe through the chest. Then when you exhale elongate
    your body and make your body long and thin, this will push out the air
    so much more so that you can take so much more air in on the next inhale.

    This will not feel like normal breathing. It will feel like the opposite
    of what you should do, but it will allow you to breathe in so much more
    air and be effective and make you a non lazy efficient breather.

  4. This is a very difficult question. It might just be that you are working
    to your current limit. My breathing capacity is what limits my output. I
    can train to the point that I seldom get muscle fatigue before running out
    of breath. As my fitness level increases it sort of sea saws back and
    forth between muscle fatigue and breathing limits. I always seem to reach
    my perceived limit for breath capacity but feel good in the muscle zone
    unless the time distance factors bring on fatigue. During sprinting drills
    it is always my breath that goes first once I have attained near max muscle
    strength.

    How do you compare competitively against others in your age bracket? It
    could just be that you are exceeding your perceived comfort zone. If so
    continued training in or above that zone will give improvement unless your
    limit has been closely approached.

    Perhaps a visit to the doc for a good physical exam is the first line of
    order to rule out any physical deficiencies.

    Ken

  5. cheryl said:


    Hello ๐Ÿ™‚

    I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas as to how i could improve
    a problem I have with my breathing....


    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    However, one thing i'm finding really frustrating is that quite often,
    I simply can't get the breath into my lungs (and this is NOT at the
    point of exhaustion/highest exhertion etc). My chest tenses up, and I
    literally have to stop moving in order to gulp air in. Sometimes, even
    in the breaks between tracks in teh RPM class, I'm unable to get air in
    even by the time we start the next exercise, which is really annoying,
    as that time my muscles etc are really feeling fine and ready to go
    again!

    I always thought that with cycling related exercise, the muscles would
    tire with the lactic acid etc, but I often cannot get to that point as
    first of all I can't breath. I have to try and force myself to yawn in
    order to get the breath in, and can really feel the tension in my
    chest.

    You can potentially increase the muscular fatigue by upping the
    resistance and reducing your cadence. This should reduce your heart rate
    and make it more strength dependant which should put more focus on your
    legs and less on your cv system. If you plan on trying this, let your
    instructor know pre-class that's what you're doing, and the reason why.

    Quoted message said:

    It gets worse when i think about it, so, i'm wondering if it's partly
    psychosymatic (or however you spell it!), but, i've often forgot about
    it totally when it hits me, so, i dont think it's just that...


    <snip>
    That's common with breathing problems - as soon as you notice it, you
    stress, and start needing more oxygen, so the deficit becomes greater
    and more noticeable. It's the same feeling you get if you're "choking"
    on something - if you can relax, you'll often find it's not so bad as
    you thought. But when you panic it's not good.

    I agree with the opinions that it may be mild asthma. If it is, you may
    also find that it's more frequent in very humid or very dry environments
    (e.g. a gym might be very humid, or an air-conditioned gym would be
    quite dry), and also that you tend to get coughing fits if you don't
    cool down properly and just stop very suddenly. A lot of people with
    mild asthma don't notice it, especially if they exercise regularly,
    because exercise opens up the airways.

    The other thing it might be is iron deficiency. I know that I get out
    of breath more readily when I'm low on iron. (I also have mild
    asthma.) The fact that you're very fit and exercise a lot puts you at
    risk of lower iron levels so I'd recommend getting your doctor to check
    you for this as well. Your increased fitness means that you wouldn't
    notice the breathlessness except at fairly high intensity. I've nearly
    passed out before doing a speedwork session when I was iron deficient.

    Good luck with fixing it :-)

    Tam

  6. hello!

    thanks soo much for all the advice - i'm gonna try all the suggestions
    that you have given out!

    many thanks! cheryl ๐Ÿ™‚

    Tamyka Bell said:
    cheryl said:


    Hello ๐Ÿ™‚

    I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas as to how i could improve
    a problem I have with my breathing....


    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    However, one thing i'm finding really frustrating is that quite often,
    I simply can't get the breath into my lungs (and this is NOT at the
    point of exhaustion/highest exhertion etc). My chest tenses up, and I
    literally have to stop moving in order to gulp air in. Sometimes, even
    in the breaks between tracks in teh RPM class, I'm unable to get air in
    even by the time we start the next exercise, which is really annoying,
    as that time my muscles etc are really feeling fine and ready to go
    again!

    I always thought that with cycling related exercise, the muscles would
    tire with the lactic acid etc, but I often cannot get to that point as
    first of all I can't breath. I have to try and force myself to yawn in
    order to get the breath in, and can really feel the tension in my
    chest.

    You can potentially increase the muscular fatigue by upping the
    resistance and reducing your cadence. This should reduce your heart rate
    and make it more strength dependant which should put more focus on your
    legs and less on your cv system. If you plan on trying this, let your
    instructor know pre-class that's what you're doing, and the reason why.

    Quoted message said:

    It gets worse when i think about it, so, i'm wondering if it's partly
    psychosymatic (or however you spell it!), but, i've often forgot about
    it totally when it hits me, so, i dont think it's just that...


    <snip>
    That's common with breathing problems - as soon as you notice it, you
    stress, and start needing more oxygen, so the deficit becomes greater
    and more noticeable. It's the same feeling you get if you're "choking"
    on something - if you can relax, you'll often find it's not so bad as
    you thought. But when you panic it's not good.

    I agree with the opinions that it may be mild asthma. If it is, you may
    also find that it's more frequent in very humid or very dry environments
    (e.g. a gym might be very humid, or an air-conditioned gym would be
    quite dry), and also that you tend to get coughing fits if you don't
    cool down properly and just stop very suddenly. A lot of people with
    mild asthma don't notice it, especially if they exercise regularly,
    because exercise opens up the airways.

    The other thing it might be is iron deficiency. I know that I get out
    of breath more readily when I'm low on iron. (I also have mild
    asthma.) The fact that you're very fit and exercise a lot puts you at
    risk of lower iron levels so I'd recommend getting your doctor to check
    you for this as well. Your increased fitness means that you wouldn't
    notice the breathlessness except at fairly high intensity. I've nearly
    passed out before doing a speedwork session when I was iron deficient.

    Good luck with fixing it :-)

    Tam

  7. Sounds like Exercise Induced Asthma. An inhaler may help to prevent
    symptoms or you might try using some of the prescription or OTC
    medications for allergies since they help open up the airways. Try
    talking with your doctor about having a treadmill test where you can be
    hooked up to the machine or do a an exercise test and blow into the air
    canister that measures your output.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users ยท 0 guests ยท0 bots ยท0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.