Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Can I use an old friction shifter with

Started by Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 · · Last activity · 6 posts · 596 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
9 December 2006
Last activity
10 December 2006
Original author
Bellsouth Ijit 2.0
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
596
Views / 30 days
9

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. SRAM ESP MTB rear derailleur? I know these pull 1:1 unlike Shimanos, but
    with friction, would that make any difference?

  2. Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 said:

    SRAM ESP MTB rear derailleur? I know these pull 1:1 unlike Shimanos, but
    with friction, would that make any difference?

    It means you have to move the lever twice as far. On my touring bike
    with downtube shifters, 6-speed freewheel and ESP derailleur, 180
    degree range of rotation on the lever is needed to change through the
    six gears. This is fine, but if you have thumb shifters, or 8/9 speed,
    you might find it tricky to move the lever far enough with your thumb
    to engage the lowest gears.

    On the other hand, finding the right gear is much easier as there is a
    much greater range over which the level is "in gear".

    I must say that I really like this setup, the ESP derailleur (mine is a
    5.0) feels really smooth, gear changes are precise and effortless
    (and, of course, it never needs adjusting).

    Andrew Webster.

  3. Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 said:

    SRAM ESP MTB rear derailleur? I know these pull 1:1 unlike Shimanos, but
    with friction, would that make any difference?

    Bell,
    You'll have to experiment. I've had some problems with some friction
    shifters and SRAM rear ders; others have been more or less OK. When
    they don't work, the shift lever either bottoms out or tops out; too
    much cable take up required. I decided to make life easy, and use the
    Suntour, Shimano, and Campy rear ders in my parts bin and friction
    shifters.

    Allthe best,
    Larry

  4. On 9 Dec 2006 13:26:00 -0800, "Andrew W" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:


    Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 said:

    SRAM ESP MTB rear derailleur? I know these pull 1:1 unlike Shimanos, but
    with friction, would that make any difference?

    It means you have to move the lever twice as far.

    I had a "problem" like this once -- a downtube shifter with not enough
    lever pull for my taste and I fixed it... but can't quite remember
    how. I think I put some sort of tube over the cable where it wrapped
    around the lever to increase the diameter. Maybe it was shifter cable
    lining. It didn't double the pull, but increased it a little bit which
    was nice. Sorry I can't remember more details.
    --
    JT
    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  5. Bellsouth Ijit 2.0 said:

    SRAM ESP MTB rear derailleur? I know these pull 1:1 unlike Shimanos, but
    with friction, would that make any difference?

    It's been done by using a Travel Agent in the middle to pull more
    cable. Here's a few comments from people who have tried it:
    http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/showthread.php?t=8457

    Jeff

  6. On Sat, 09 Dec 2006 18:55:44 GMT, "Bellsouth Ijit 2.0"

    may have said:

    SRAM ESP MTB rear derailleur? I know these pull 1:1 unlike Shimanos, but
    with friction, would that make any difference?

    Yes, it makes a difference, but the only way to find out if it's going
    to work is to try it. The total amount of cable throw available with
    a typical downtube friction lever that has range stops is not going to
    be enough to move that der through the full range required to shift to
    all of the gears on the setup you describe, so be prepared to need a
    different shifter to make this work.

    --
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
    Typoes are not a bug, they're a feature.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.