Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Can I jump off sidewalks with a hybrid?

Started by donquijote1954 · · Last activity · 31 posts · 1,273 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
20 May 2006
Last activity
6 June 2006
Original author
donquijote1954
Posts
31
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,273
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 31
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I once had a hybrid bent its spokes by jumping off a simple sidewalk,
    but the one I got now, having suspension, will it be safe?

  2. "donquijote1954" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    I once had a hybrid bent its spokes by jumping off a simple sidewalk,
    but the one I got now, having suspension, will it be safe?

    Depends on rider weight, tire width, and how softly you land.

  3. your technique is undeveloped

  4. In article <[email hidden]>,

    donquijote1954 said:

    I once had a hybrid bent its spokes by jumping off a simple sidewalk,
    but the one I got now, having suspension, will it be safe?

    I routinely jump curbs on my road bikes, including a rack-laden commuter
    with 23mm tires.

    Make sure your wheels are well-built, and bend your knees when you land,

    --
    Ryan Cousineau [email hidden] http://www.wiredcola.com/
    "I don't want kids who are thinking about going into mathematics
    to think that they have to take drugs to succeed." -Paul Erdos

  5. Back in the 1970s, we used to fly off curbs with 22-lb sew-up-equipped
    bikes. It's all about technique - and air pressure. Make sure your tires are
    inflated to the maximum rated pressure. This will avoid kinking rims,
    breaking spokes, etc. Get most of your weight off the seat and bend your
    knees right when you go over the curb (or potholes, etc). Of course, it's
    much better to go down off a curb, than up over one. Going up a curb is very
    likely to damage a hybrid's wheels (as well as the rider) unless done slowly
    or with a lot of skill.
    Have fun!
    - Jeff
    www.safebikes.com

  6. donquijote1954 said:

    I once had a hybrid bent its spokes by jumping off a simple sidewalk,
    but the one I got now, having suspension, will it be safe?

    Dear Ingenioso Hidalgo,

    What parts of your spokes bent in which direction?

    Intrigued,

    Carl Fogel

  7. Jeff Napier said:

    Back in the 1970s, we used to fly off curbs with 22-lb sew-up-equipped
    bikes. It's all about technique - and air pressure. Make sure your tires are
    inflated to the maximum rated pressure. This will avoid kinking rims,
    breaking spokes, etc. Get most of your weight off the seat and bend your
    knees right when you go over the curb (or potholes, etc). Of course, it's
    much better to go down off a curb, than up over one. Going up a curb is very
    likely to damage a hybrid's wheels (as well as the rider) unless done slowly
    or with a lot of skill.
    Have fun!
    - Jeff
    www.safebikes.com

    Thank you all. Now to practice!

  8. donquijote1954 said:

    I once had a hybrid bent its spokes by jumping off a simple sidewalk,

    Right. Sure. That sidewalk must have been pretty simple, all right.

    Quoted message said:

    but the one I got now, having suspension, will it be safe?

    Safe from you? Probably not.

    (Anybody smell a troll?)
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
    Some gardening required to reply via email.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.

  9. Ken said:
    donquijote1954 said:

    I once had a hybrid bent its spokes by jumping off a simple sidewalk,
    but the one I got now, having suspension, will it be safe?

    Depends on rider weight, tire width, and how softly you land.

    And curb height.

    Don <www.donwiss.com/joyrides> (e-mail link at page bottom).

  10. donquijote1954 said:

    I once had a hybrid bent its spokes by jumping off a simple sidewalk,
    but the one I got now, having suspension, will it be safe?

    You can go up them with the same technique. Be sure to go really fast and
    just pull up on the handlebars slightly when you get close. Be sure to keep
    the rear wheel planted on the ground the whole time so you don't lose
    control.
    --
    Phil

  11. "Phil, Squid-in-Training" wrote: (clip) Be sure to go really fast and just
    pull up on the handlebars slightly when you get close. (clip)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    The technique I use is to go *slow,* and pull on the bars and pedal hard
    just as the wheel is going to bump the obstacle. A tall rider can easily
    loft the front wheel in this way. For a shorty like me it's a little
    harder, but the principle is the same. If you're going fast, it's hard to
    synchronize a powerful pedal stroke. Could you tell me whether I am missing
    something in your explanation?

  12. donquijote1954 said:

    I once had a hybrid bent its spokes by jumping off a simple sidewalk,
    but the one I got now, having suspension, will it be safe?

    Generally speaking, cyclists should not be on sidewalks.

    - Frank Krygowski

  13. Sounds like that one had crappy wheels. A well-built wheel on any bike
    should survive the 10 cm drop.

    donquijote1954 said:

    I once had a hybrid bent its spokes by jumping off a simple sidewalk,
    but the one I got now, having suspension, will it be safe?

  14. Leo Lichtman said:

    "Phil, Squid-in-Training" wrote: (clip) Be sure to go really fast
    and just pull up on the handlebars slightly when you get close. (clip)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    The technique I use is to go *slow,* and pull on the bars and pedal
    hard just as the wheel is going to bump the obstacle. A tall rider
    can easily loft the front wheel in this way. For a shorty like me
    it's a little harder, but the principle is the same. If you're going
    fast, it's hard to synchronize a powerful pedal stroke. Could you
    tell me whether I am missing something in your explanation?

    I forgot the smiley again.
    --
    Phil

  15. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:


    donquijote1954 said:

    I once had a hybrid bent its spokes by jumping off a simple sidewalk,
    but the one I got now, having suspension, will it be safe?

    Generally speaking, cyclists should not be on sidewalks.

    Okay, mom ;-)

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    -- Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.
    I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn [point] bc [point] ca

  16. Quoted message said:
    donquijote1954 said:

    I once had a hybrid bent its spokes by jumping off a simple sidewalk,
    but the one I got now, having suspension, will it be safe?

    Generally speaking, cyclists should not be on sidewalks.

    I know, but they can't be on roads either --safely. But that's a long
    story and it would be a long debate. I'm for taking the lane, period.

  17. richard said:

    Sounds like that one had crappy wheels. A well-built wheel on any bike
    should survive the 10 cm drop.

    Maybe. Nobody has mention though how the suspension would prevent that.

  18. donquijote1954 said:
    richard said:

    Sounds like that one had crappy wheels. A well-built wheel on any
    bike should survive the 10 cm drop.

    Maybe. Nobody has mention though how the suspension would prevent
    that.

    It'll help.
    --
    Phil

  19. Phil said:
    donquijote1954 said:
    richard said:

    Sounds like that one had crappy wheels. A well-built wheel on any
    bike should survive the 10 cm drop.

    Maybe. Nobody has mention though how the suspension would prevent
    that.

    It'll help.
    --
    Phil

    I bought this bicycle mainly because of that so it better be good... 😉

    Is suspension that good? My wife is catching up with me with a mountain
    bike with no suspension. That's humiliating!!!

  20. donquijote1954 said:
    Phil said:
    donquijote1954 said:

    richard wrote:
    > Sounds like that one had crappy wheels. A well-built wheel on any
    > bike should survive the 10 cm drop.

    Maybe. Nobody has mention though how the suspension would prevent
    that.

    It'll help.
    --
    Phil

    I bought this bicycle mainly because of that so it better be good... 😉

    Is suspension that good? My wife is catching up with me with a mountain
    bike with no suspension. That's humiliating!!!

    Is she catching you on the flat or over rocky trails? 9 times out of 10
    a rider on a hardtail will out pace a rider on full sus on flat smooth
    terrain.

    You don't need suspension for riding off 10cm curbs, but any suspension
    you do have would help reduce the overall impact to your wheels.

    Laters,

    Marz

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.