Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Campy Front Deraileurs -- Need Better than Veloce

Started by Aztec · · Last activity · 8 posts · 785 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
19 March 2004
Last activity
19 March 2004
Original author
Aztec
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
785
Views / 30 days
9

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I run '04 10sp Campy Veloce on one of my bikes. The front deraileur is just too noisy, slow, and needs way more trimming than the '03 Chorus on my other bike.

    Time to get a better one. Anyone found the '04 Chorus or '04 Record to be noticably improved from '03?

  2. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Aztec
    I run '04 10sp Campy Veloce on one of my bikes. The front deraileur is just too noisy, slow, and needs way more trimming than the '03 Chorus on my other bike.

    Time to get a better one. Anyone found the '04 Chorus or '04 Record to be noticably improved from '03?

    Maybe it is not the derailer?? Got it adjusted right?

  3. Yup, including tweaking the cage a bit. The cage is all metal, so any rubbing at all makes a lot of noise. I can only use a few combos where not a single link ticks against it. Shifting is "stickier" as well.

    The '03 Chorus has an insert that masks a lot of the noise when shifting (and accidental minor mis-trimming).

  4. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Aztec
    Yup, including tweaking the cage a bit. The cage is all metal, so any rubbing at all makes a lot of noise. I can only use a few combos where not a single link ticks against it. Shifting is "stickier" as well.

    The '03 Chorus has an insert that masks a lot of the noise when shifting (and accidental minor mis-trimming).

    That's not really the intended purpose of the insert,and all metal ones work just fine. Trimming is often not even necessary,given proper setup and use of cogs. But it's your money not mine.

  5. Actually, it is. The smooth insert is supposed to reduce friction and speed up shifting, quietly. Quietly being the key.

    As a bonus, if you are slightly mis-trimmed, which happens more often with a finite number of clicks than in the old days of infinite adjustment, it quiets that down. I am referring to if you flex the frame slightly and it ticks against it. It obviously wouldn't be to hide continuous rubbing.

    Sure all-metal works fine. I'm asking if the '04 Record or Chorus works "better" than '03. If not, I'll get another '03 for less, I'm sure.

  6. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Aztec
    Actually, it is. The smooth insert is supposed to reduce friction and speed up shifting, quietly. Quietly being the key.

    As a bonus, if you are slightly mis-trimmed, which happens more often with a finite number of clicks than in the old days of infinite adjustment, it quiets that down. I am referring to if you flex the frame slightly and it ticks against it. It obviously wouldn't be to hide continuous rubbing.

    Sure all-metal works fine. I'm asking if the '04 Record or Chorus works "better" than '03. If not, I'll get another '03 for less, I'm sure.

    The insert is for use with a 10 speed chain.it's supposed to be removed when using a 9 speed chain. Maybe I'm doing something wrong in ignoring trim,and never needing it?

  7. Veloce *IS* 10sp.

    Not need for trim? Lucky you. Of the many Campy-equipped folks I know, ALL need to.

  8. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Aztec
    Veloce *IS* 10sp.

    Not need for trim? Lucky you. Of the many Campy-equipped folks I know, ALL need to.

    I'm running a Racing T on the front of my bike. I am finding it to be a bugger to setup right in truth, but the only times I've had rub with it were when I had it set at the wrong height or had the cable tension wrong. Might be worth having a bit more of a fiddle. FWIW I can't see much if any difference mechanically between a Mirage Triple and a Racing T.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.