Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Campy Ergo Mix with Ultegra ?s

Started by David Patnaude · · Last activity · 8 posts · 684 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
12 April 2004
Last activity
16 April 2004
Original author
David Patnaude
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
684
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I am thinking of switching parts of my current setup from
    Ultegra 9 spd triple to Campy due to breaking my front
    brifter. Campy stuff is not very common in my area (my local
    shop does almost no work on Campy components), but I like
    that I might be able to fix a problem next time rather than
    replace it.

    Questions:

    1. Is the Campy ergo brifter indexed at all for the front
    shift and how well will it work for an Ultegra triple
    crank with Ultegra FD?

    2. Current setup is a shimano 12-25 9 spd cassette with 30-42-
    52 chainrings. Can I use the Campy medium cage RD?

    3. My bike is a Cannondale CAAD5 frame. It has inline barrel
    adjusters for the FD and RD and just basic cable stops on
    the frame. Can I still use these inline adjusters with
    the ergo levers?

    4. One dislike I have of the Ultegra setup is that from the
    drops I have some difficulty moving the large lever
    enough for a shift. I don't think that my hands are very
    small, but the arc of the lever really gets away from
    you on the shift. From the hoods, no issue. Small lever
    from the drops, no issue. Will the ergo method of
    shifting help?

    5. I am thinking of going with Centaur group if I switch
    since that seems on the level with Ultegra. Can
    someone provide the part numbers for the 9 spd
    shifters and med cage RD so that I make sure the shop
    orders the right parts?

    Thanks for your help.

    Dave

  2. David-<< 1. Is the Campy ergo brifter indexed at all for the
    front shift and how well will it work for an Ultegra triple
    crank with Ultegra FD? >><BR><BR>

    Flawlessly, better than the ultegra. It is a 'ratcheting
    friction', shifts and then can be trimmed much more than the
    one trim click of the ultegra. PLUS rebuildable-no more
    failed levers.

    David-<< 2. Current setup is a shimano 12-25 9 spd cassette
    with 30-42-52 chainrings. Can I use the Campy medium cage
    RD? >><BR><BR>

    yep, w/o problem.

    David<< 3. My bike is a Cannondale CAAD5 frame. It has
    inline barrel adjusters for the FD and RD and just basic
    cable stops on the frame. Can I still use these inline
    adjusters with the ergo levers? >><BR><BR>

    Yep-

    David-<< From the hoods, no issue. Small lever from the
    drops, no issue. Will the ergo method of shifting help?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    <BR><BR>

    Yep-the best idea is to move the shift lever, not the
    shift/brake lever-=

    david-<< Can someone provide the part numbers for the 9 spd
    shifters and med cage RD so that I make sure the shop orders
    the right parts? >><BR><BR>

    Just get the Centaur 10s units-EP3-CE-10CG for the levers
    and RD-CE-001T for the rear der. Centaur 10s levers shift
    shimano 9s spacing really well, just have one less 'click'.
    We do this all the time. if the bike shop gives you the
    '1000 yard stare', have them call me.

    Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 vecchios.comvecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali
    costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  3. "Qui si parla Campagnolo " <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Just get the Centaur 10s units-EP3-CE-10CG for the levers
    and RD-CE-001T for the rear der. Centaur 10s levers shift
    shimano 9s spacing really well, just have one less
    'click'. We do this all the time. if the bike shop gives
    you the '1000 yard stare', have them call me.

    Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 vecchios.comvecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali
    costruite eccezionalmente bene"

    Calling Peter. This would be a nifty fix for a little
    problem I have. Since the Campy and Shimano 9S wheels worked
    with Campy 9S shifters, does the 10S shifter work on both
    Shimano and Campy 9S spacing? Could you point me to
    directions (or tell me) how to do this? Molti
    ringraziamenti.

  4. [email hidden] (Qui si parla Campagnolo ) wrote in
    :"]news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    David-<< 1. Is the Campy ergo brifter indexed at all for
    the front shift and how well will it work for an Ultegra
    triple crank with Ultegra FD?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    <BR><BR>

    Flawlessly, better than the ultegra. It is a 'ratcheting
    friction', shifts and then can be trimmed much more than
    the one trim click of the ultegra. PLUS rebuildable-no
    more failed levers.

    David-<< 2. Current setup is a shimano 12-25 9 spd
    cassette with 30-42-52 chainrings. Can I use the Campy
    medium cage RD? >><BR><BR>

    yep, w/o problem.

    David<< 3. My bike is a Cannondale CAAD5 frame. It has
    inline barrel adjusters for the FD and RD and just basic
    cable stops on the frame. Can I still use these inline
    adjusters with the ergo levers? >><BR><BR>

    Yep-

    David-<< From the hoods, no issue. Small lever from the
    drops, no issue. Will the ergo method of shifting help?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    <BR><BR>

    Yep-the best idea is to move the shift lever, not the
    shift/brake lever-=

    david-<< Can someone provide the part numbers for the 9
    spd shifters and med cage RD so that I make sure the shop
    orders the right parts? >><BR><BR>

    Just get the Centaur 10s units-EP3-CE-10CG for the levers
    and RD-CE-001T for the rear der. Centaur 10s levers shift
    shimano 9s spacing really well, just have one less
    'click'. We do this all the time. if the bike shop gives
    you the '1000 yard stare', have them call
    me.

    Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 vecchios.comvecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali
    costruite eccezionalmente bene"

    Thanks Peter. One more question now. If I change to the 10
    spd RD, should I also switch to a 10 spd chain? If so, any
    issues with a 10 spd chain on the Shimano chain rings? What
    would you suggest for a chain?

    Thanks, Dave

  5. David Patnaude <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I am thinking of switching parts of my current setup from
    Ultegra 9 spd triple to Campy due to breaking my front
    brifter. Campy stuff is not very common in my area (my
    local shop does almost no work on Campy components), but I
    like that I might be able to fix a problem next time
    rather than replace it.

    Questions:

    1. Is the Campy ergo brifter indexed at all for the front
    shift and how well will it work for an Ultegra triple
    crank with Ultegra FD?

    I use my 2002/2003 9 speed Centaur Ergo brake/shifter to
    shift a Shimano 105 triple front derailleur. Campagnolo does
    not care what front derailleur or crankset you use.

    Quoted message said:


    2. Current setup is a shimano 12-25 9 spd cassette
    with 30-42-52 chainrings. Can I use the Campy
    medium cage RD?

    Some will say you can use a Shimano 9 speed cassette with
    Campagnolo shifters and rear derailleur. Others will say you
    will have troubles. I can't say because I only use
    Campagnolo for my road racing style bikes. I don't need to
    mix cassettes and shifters and rear derailleurs.

    Quoted message said:


    3. My bike is a Cannondale CAAD5 frame. It has inline
    barrel adjusters for the FD and RD and just basic cable
    stops on the frame. Can I still use these inline
    adjusters with the ergo levers?

    4. One dislike I have of the Ultegra setup is that from
    the drops I have some difficulty moving the large lever
    enough for a shift. I don't think that my hands are
    very small, but the arc of the lever really gets away
    from you on the shift. From the hoods, no issue. Small
    lever from the drops, no issue. Will the ergo method of
    shifting help?

    The handlebar shape may have as much to do with this as
    anything else. Some bars put your hands closer to the
    shifters than others. But my hands are far less than large
    and I can easily shift the rear derailleur up or down from
    the drops. I also use a double layer of cork tape so my
    hands are not as close as they could be to the shifters. The
    downshift button with Campagnolo is very easy to reach with
    your thumb if you have shallow drop bars. For bars with a
    huge amount of drop, I don't know since I don't use these
    types of bars. For shifting up with the lever, its easy to
    do with the rear derailleur from the drops. For the front
    derailleur, shifts from big to smaller chainring are easy to
    do with the button. Easy to reach with your thumb while
    riding the drops. For shifting from a small to a big
    chainring, using the lever, I cannot do it in one swing. I
    have to ratchet the front derailleur up. So it takes two
    quick switches on the lever to move to a bigger ring if
    shifting from the drops. Not a problem because of the
    ratchet feature of Campagnolo Ergo shifters. You don't have
    to shove the lever all the way in one throw to get to the
    click, like Shimano. You can ratchet the Campagnolo front
    derailleur up in 10 lever throws if you want. Or one throw
    if your pointer finger is long enough. A huge benefit of not
    having an indexed front derailleur shifter like Shimano. And
    trimming the front derailleur is so easy with Campagnolo.
    All shifts from the hoods, up or down, either derailleur,
    are very easy to make.

    Quoted message said:


    5. I am thinking of going with Centaur group if I switch
    since that seems on the level with Ultegra. Can someone
    provide the part numbers for the 9 spd shifters and med
    cage RD so that I make sure the shop orders the right
    parts?

    I mail ordered my 9 speed Centaur shifters from Excel Sports
    last year. And my Centaur 9 speed derailleurs from Nashbar
    last year. Mail order places may know more about which parts
    to get than your local shop if you have to tell your local
    shop which part numbers to order. I don't see the point in
    going through the local shop if they provide no service or
    help with the order.

    Quoted message said:


    Thanks for your help.

    Dave

  6. russell-<< I mail ordered my 9 speed Centaur shifters from
    Excel Sports last year. And my Centaur 9 speed derailleurs
    from Nashbar last year. Mail order places may know more
    about which parts to get than your local shop if you have to
    tell your local shop which part numbers to order. >><BR><BR>

    Except MO will say you need stuff you don't need. Check out
    what they say about Campagnolo '10s upgrade' for a 9s
    system...altho all you need is a shift disc, cogset and
    chain, they will say ya need ders, chainrings, all sorts of
    stuff they just want to sell ya.

    Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 vecchios.comvecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali
    costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  7. David Patnaude said:

    Questions:

    1. Is the Campy ergo brifter indexed at all for the front
    shift and how well will it work for an Ultegra triple
    crank with Ultegra FD?

    Not indexed and works fine.

    Quoted message said:


    2. Current setup is a shimano 12-25 9 spd cassette with 30-42-
    52 chainrings. Can I use the Campy medium cage RD?

    Yes.

    Quoted message said:


    3. My bike is a Cannondale CAAD5 frame. It has inline
    barrel adjusters for the FD and RD and just basic cable
    stops on the frame. Can I still use these inline
    adjusters with the ergo levers?

    You can on the run from the lever to the cablestop but the
    adjuster needs to accept 4.5-5 mm housing. The rear
    derailleur has a barrel adjuster and, for the front, I
    usually can get proper tension by pulling the cable at the
    attachment screw. Being not indexed is a great advantage.
    Quality also had a barrel adjuster that goes into the
    cablestop. I have a couple of those you can buy if your
    local shop cannot find them.

    Quoted message said:


    4. One dislike I have of the Ultegra setup is that from the
    drops I have some difficulty moving the large lever
    enough for a shift. I don't think that my hands are very
    small, but the arc of the lever really gets away from
    you on the shift. From the hoods, no issue. Small lever
    from the drops, no issue. Will the ergo method of
    shifting help?

    The Ergo shift paddle can be pulled toward the bar as
    you shift.

    Quoted message said:


    5. I am thinking of going with Centaur group if I switch
    since that seems on the level with Ultegra. Can someone
    provide the part numbers for the 9 spd shifters and med
    cage RD so that I make sure the shop orders the right
    parts?

    If your local shop cannot find "Centaur 2004 Ergo 9sp
    shifters and Chorus medium cage rear derailleur", buy the
    stuff from one of the retail supporters of this newsgroup,
    i.e. A. Muzi, Peter Chisolm, Sheldon Brown.

    PS: Veloce 9sp is less costly and all you miss is the hole
    in the shift paddle and logo. Mirage is the same but
    made of engineering plastic.

  8. "Qui si parla Campagnolo " <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    jag-<< Calling Peter. This would be a nifty fix for a
    little problem I have. Since the Campy and Shimano 9S
    wheels worked with Campy 9S shifters, does the 10S shifter
    work on both Shimano and Campy 9S spacing? >><BR><BR>

    Not Campagnolo 9s but yes to shimano 9s. If ya got a
    Campagnolo 10s shifter, need a Campagnolo 10s cogset and
    chain, but that's all.

    Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 vecchios.comvecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali
    costruite eccezionalmente bene"

    Actually this worked well with both Campy 9S and Shimano 9S
    cassettes. I have a Centaur 10S shifter, and Campy 10S
    chain. Shifts well with either Campy or Shimano 9S cassette
    -- no adjustment needed when I swap wheels.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.