Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Campagnolo freehub advice - tool?

Started by David Peake · · Last activity · 10 posts · 679 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
8 August 2006
Last activity
10 August 2006
Original author
David Peake
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
679
Views / 30 days
5
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. So, I greased my rear Campagnolo hub ('98 model) via the lubrication port,
    and the ratcheting sound is quite muffled. I know now that I have to take
    apart the hub to service it correctly (Thank you Peter Chisholm for your
    expert advice.).

    I've got all of the tools except for Campagnolo tool ut-hu080. I see from
    the pictures in the manual that it seems to be a "ratchet holder" to
    reassemble the hub. I can't find my original and can't find a replacement.

    Any clues where to find one or something that will do the same?

    As usual, thank you.

  2. David Peake said:

    So, I greased my rear Campagnolo hub ('98 model) via the lubrication port,
    and the ratcheting sound is quite muffled. I know now that I have to take
    apart the hub to service it correctly (Thank you Peter Chisholm for your
    expert advice.).

    I've got all of the tools except for Campagnolo tool ut-hu080. I see from
    the pictures in the manual that it seems to be a "ratchet holder" to
    reassemble the hub. I can't find my original and can't find a replacement.

    Any clues where to find one or something that will do the same?

    As usual, thank you.

    Dear David,

    Regrettably, the Campagnolo site stinks.

    You may be looking for this:

    http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id=910520125198&d=single&c=Tools&sc=Cassettes%20and%20Freewheels&tc=Freehub%20Tools&item_id=CA-PAT
    or http://tinyurl.com/k4gg5

    Out of stock.

    Or you may be looking for this:

    http://www.loosescrews.com/index.cgi?d=single&c=Tools&sc=Freehub/Freewheel&tc=Campy%20Pawl%20Tool&item_id=LS-1489LT&id=897945712220
    or http://tinyurl.com/q6fjr

    In stock.

    Or just a piece of string or teflon tape:

    "6 Engage freehub inside hub shell. It can be difficult to engage
    pawls into hub shell. If necessary use the Campangolo® UT-HU080 tool.
    You can also tie a string around the pawls to help engage it into the
    shell, then pull the string loose."
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/fix/?id=howfix_freehub

    Cheers,

    Carl Fogel

  3. David Peake said:

    So, I greased my rear Campagnolo hub ('98 model) via the lubrication port,
    and the ratcheting sound is quite muffled. I know now that I have to take
    apart the hub to service it correctly (Thank you Peter Chisholm for your
    expert advice.).

    You needed a bike mechanic to tell you to take apart the rear hub to
    service it correctly instead of just squirting in more grease? Do you
    change the oil in your car by just always adding more oil and never
    draining the oil pan and replacing the oil filter?

    Quoted message said:


    I've got all of the tools except for Campagnolo tool ut-hu080. I see from
    the pictures in the manual that it seems to be a "ratchet holder" to
    reassemble the hub. I can't find my original and can't find a replacement.

    Any clues where to find one or something that will do the same?

    Piece of floss works quite well. Make a slip know in one end with the
    tail of the slip knot extra long. Thread the other end through the
    slip knot to make a loop. Grease up the three springs and pawls and
    put them into their holes in the hub body. Put the loop around the
    three pawls and snug them up when you push the freehub body into the
    shell. Then grab the long tail of the slip knot and pull the string
    out.

    Quoted message said:


    As usual, thank you.

  4. If you can find the metal clip tool that is mentioned it works amazingly
    well.
    I have used thin string before, as mentioned, but having the $3 tool now I'd
    never go back ;-]

    -pete

    "David Peake" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:np2Cg.18503$gU4.15248@trnddc07...

    Quoted message said:

    So, I greased my rear Campagnolo hub ('98 model) via the lubrication port,
    and the ratcheting sound is quite muffled. I know now that I have to take
    apart the hub to service it correctly (Thank you Peter Chisholm for your
    expert advice.).

    I've got all of the tools except for Campagnolo tool ut-hu080. I see from
    the pictures in the manual that it seems to be a "ratchet holder" to
    reassemble the hub. I can't find my original and can't find a
    replacement.

    Any clues where to find one or something that will do the same?

    As usual, thank you.

  5. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:

    You needed a bike mechanic to tell you to take apart the rear hub to
    service it correctly instead of just squirting in more grease? Do you
    change the oil in your car by just always adding more oil and never
    draining the oil pan and replacing the oil filter?

    helpful yet condescending. you get the brandt prize for the day.

  6. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 15:50:43 GMT, "David Peake"
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:


    You may be looking for this:

    http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id=910520125198&d=single&c=Tools&sc=Cassettes%20and%20Freewheels&tc=Freehub%20Tools&item_id=CA-PAT
    or http://tinyurl.com/k4gg5

    Out of stock.

    Because of the age of the hub, I think that this would be the correct tool.

    Quoted message said:

    Or you may be looking for this:

    http://www.loosescrews.com/index.cgi?d=single&c=Tools&sc=Freehub/Freewheel&tc=Campy%20Pawl%20Tool&item_id=LS-1489LT&id=897945712220
    or http://tinyurl.com/q6fjr

    In stock.

    I'm not sure if this tool will work with pre-1999 hubs.

    The string/floss idea seems like a good idea, but I'm afraid that I am not
    quite adept enough to pull it off (no pun intended). I have this feeling
    that I am going to be looking for small springs on the floor of my workspace
    late at night, cursing myself for losing the original tool (if I ever really
    had it).

    Thank you Carl.

  7. Fred Clydesdale said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:

    You needed a bike mechanic to tell you to take apart the rear hub to
    service it correctly instead of just squirting in more grease? Do you
    change the oil in your car by just always adding more oil and never
    draining the oil pan and replacing the oil filter?

    helpful yet condescending. you get the brandt prize for the day.

    Is that the Jobst Brandt High Horse Award for Arrogant Condescension?
    ;-)

  8. David Peake said:


    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 15:50:43 GMT, "David Peake"
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:


    You may be looking for this:

    http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id=910520125198&d=single&c=Tools&sc=Cassettes%20and%20Freewheels&tc=Freehub%20Tools&item_id=CA-PAT
    or http://tinyurl.com/k4gg5

    Out of stock.

    Because of the age of the hub, I think that this would be the correct tool.

    Quoted message said:

    Or you may be looking for this:

    http://www.loosescrews.com/index.cgi?d=single&c=Tools&sc=Freehub/Freewheel&tc=Campy%20Pawl%20Tool&item_id=LS-1489LT&id=897945712220
    or http://tinyurl.com/q6fjr

    In stock.

    I'm not sure if this tool will work with pre-1999 hubs.

    The string/floss idea seems like a good idea, but I'm afraid that I am not
    quite adept enough to pull it off (no pun intended). I have this feeling
    that I am going to be looking for small springs on the floor of my workspace
    late at night, cursing myself for losing the original tool (if I ever really
    had it).

    Thank you Carl.

    Dear David,

    Branford Bikes seems to say that the basket dingus will work on just
    about anything short of the pawls on the Queen Mary's anchor capstan:

    "The Campagnolo Freehub Pawl tool is worth its weight in gold. The
    umbrella shaped tool easily holds those slippery, spring loaded pawls
    in place, on any freehub. Simply slide the bottom of the umbrella over
    the pawls and then easily slide the freehub into your hub's body. Pull
    the umbrella towards you while pushing the freehub into the hub. Fits
    Campagnolo, Shimano, Zipp, Mavic and almost every other freehub made."

    http://www.branfordbike.com/hub/hub10.html#item1

    For the price, I'd just buy the basket tool. Lots of places sell it.

    I suspect that this is why the earlier wire-clip dingus that you're
    looking for (ut-hu080) is no longer available--the entirely different
    basket dingus (ut-hu090) replaced it.

    Cheers,

    Carl Fogel

  9. David Peake said:

    So, I greased my rear Campagnolo hub ('98 model) via the lubrication port,
    and the ratcheting sound is quite muffled. I know now that I have to take
    apart the hub to service it correctly (Thank you Peter Chisholm for your
    expert advice.).

    I've got all of the tools except for Campagnolo tool ut-hu080. I see from
    the pictures in the manual that it seems to be a "ratchet holder" to
    reassemble the hub. I can't find my original and can't find a replacement.

    Any clues where to find one or something that will do the same?

    As usual, thank you.

    I used to have one of these hubs. At the time I read somewhere to use
    a rubber band in lieu of the tool. It worked fine, though yeah, you do
    have to be careful not to lose those springs and pawls...

  10. Quoted message said:
    David Peake said:

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 15:50:43 GMT, "David Peake"
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    You may be looking for this:

    http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id=910520125198&d=single&c=Tools&sc=Cassettes%20and%20Freewheels&tc=Freehub%20Tools&item_id=CA-PAT
    or http://tinyurl.com/k4gg5

    Out of stock.


    Because of the age of the hub, I think that this would be the correct tool.

    Quoted message said:

    Or you may be looking for this:

    http://www.loosescrews.com/index.cgi?d=single&c=Tools&sc=Freehub/Freewheel&tc=Campy%20Pawl%20Tool&item_id=LS-1489LT&id=897945712220
    or http://tinyurl.com/q6fjr

    In stock.


    I'm not sure if this tool will work with pre-1999 hubs.

    The string/floss idea seems like a good idea, but I'm afraid that I am not
    quite adept enough to pull it off (no pun intended). I have this feeling
    that I am going to be looking for small springs on the floor of my workspace
    late at night, cursing myself for losing the original tool (if I ever really
    had it).

    Thank you Carl.

    Dear David,

    Branford Bikes seems to say that the basket dingus will work on just
    about anything short of the pawls on the Queen Mary's anchor capstan:

    "The Campagnolo Freehub Pawl tool is worth its weight in gold. The
    umbrella shaped tool easily holds those slippery, spring loaded pawls
    in place, on any freehub. Simply slide the bottom of the umbrella over
    the pawls and then easily slide the freehub into your hub's body. Pull
    the umbrella towards you while pushing the freehub into the hub. Fits
    Campagnolo, Shimano, Zipp, Mavic and almost every other freehub made."

    http://www.branfordbike.com/hub/hub10.html#item1

    For the price, I'd just buy the basket tool. Lots of places sell it.

    I suspect that this is why the earlier wire-clip dingus that you're
    looking for (ut-hu080) is no longer available--the entirely different
    basket dingus (ut-hu090) replaced it.

    Cheers,

    Carl Fogel

    I've never used the basket but I can tell you that the pos Campagnolo
    tool is only slightly better than trying to use your fingers.

    Robin Hubert

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.