Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Campag 9/10sp chain on Biopace rings?

Started by Call Me Bob · · Last activity · 10 posts · 1,208 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
2 December 2003
Last activity
4 December 2003
Original author
Call Me Bob
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,208
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Need to replace most of the drivetrain on one of my bikes. I've never used any Campag stuff and
    would like to give it a try, see how it compares with the Shimano equipment I'm familiar with.

    So, I'm having some wheels built up on Centaur hubs and intend run them with a new 9 or 10sp
    cassette, chain and front 'n rear mechs. Will the Campy 9/10sp chain run okay on my existing Shimano
    Biopace chainrings? I don't think wear will be an issue, the front rings seem in good condition I
    just don't know if they are at all compatible with a Campy chain?

    I'm going to be using downtube friction shifters for the moment, if that makes a difference (I don't
    think it should?).

    Also, this has just occured to me, I'll go and google for it in a sec but might as well ask while
    I'm here... can I get a powerlink type connector for Campy 9 and 10 speed chains?

    Thanks for any advice you might have for me
    --

    "Bob"

    Email address is spamtrapped. To reply directly remove the beverage.

  2. Call me Bob said:

    can I get a powerlink type connector for Campy 9 and 10 speed chains?

    Yes, I use a SRAM 9-speed Powerlink with Campag C9 chain with no problems. I like them so much that
    I wouldn't not use one now. Only 50p!

    There are also some new connecting links from other brands (Connex, etc?)for some 10sp chains - but
    I don't know much about them. I'm still a 9-speed geezer.

    Some thoughts while you're waiting for the Shimano experts: I would guess that a C9 chain would be
    ok on Biopace rings if a Shimano 9-speed chain was. I doubt the egg-shapeness of them should make
    any specific difference when it comes to brand of chain. Widths are different but not hugely.

    ~PB

  3. Pete Biggs said:

    Yes, I use a SRAM 9-speed Powerlink with Campag C9 chain with no problems. I like them so much that
    I wouldn't not use one now. Only 50p!

    Ah, that's handy to know, ta. Thinking about it, I realise I may have a spare 9sp powerlink hidden
    about the place somewhere....

    Quoted message said:

    Some thoughts while you're waiting for the Shimano experts: I would guess that a C9 chain would be
    ok on Biopace rings if a Shimano 9-speed chain was. I doubt the egg-shapeness of them should make
    any specific difference when it comes to brand of chain. Widths are different but not hugely.

    Yeah, it was the width that concerned me. I guess that Biopace was intended for 7 or maybe 8 speed
    chains (?) so don't know if a narrower 9 will mesh at all. I don't need extra slick gear changes at
    the front, until I upgrade the other bits to campy 9 I'm happy if it's a bit clunky so long as it
    actually functions alright.
    --

    "Bob"

    Email address is spamtrapped. To reply directly remove the beverage.

  4. Call me Bob said:

    Yeah, it was the width that concerned me. I guess that Biopace was intended for 7 or maybe 8 speed
    chains (?) so don't know if a narrower 9 will mesh at all. I don't need extra slick gear changes
    at the front, until I upgrade the other bits to campy 9 I'm happy if it's a bit clunky so long as
    it actually functions alright.

    There's little difference in *internal* width between 7, 8 and 9-speed chains so it should mesh.
    It's the outside (overall) width that varies more - and would be more of a problem on rear sprockets
    than chainrings if anything.

    From Barnett's manual: "Most 6 speed and all 7 speed sprocket sets require "narrow" chains with
    outside width of 7.2-7.4mm. these chains are adequate for most 8 speed sprockets but may be slightly
    noisier than the "super narrow" chains which are always 7.2mm. wide, these can also be used on any
    other sprocket sets. Nine speed chains measure 6.6-6.8mm. and they can also be used on other
    sprockets."

    SRAM PC59 chain also works well with Campag 9-speed stuff and is cheaper - although I'm not sure if
    it lasts as long as C9.

    ~PB

  5. Pete Biggs said:

    There's little difference in *internal* width between 7, 8 and 9-speed chains so it should mesh.
    It's the outside (overall) width that varies more - and would be more of a problem on rear
    sprockets than chainrings if anything.

    I didn't know that. I'd assumed a 9sp chain would be narrower in. and externally. Sounds good news
    then. Thank you Pete.
    --

    "Bob"

    Email address is spamtrapped. To reply directly remove the beverage.

  6. Call me Bob said:

    Need to replace most of the drivetrain on one of my bikes. I've never used any Campag stuff and
    would like to give it a try, see how it compares with the Shimano equipment I'm familiar with.

    So, I'm having some wheels built up on Centaur hubs and intend run them with a new 9 or 10sp
    cassette, chain and front 'n rear mechs. Will the Campy 9/10sp chain run okay on my existing
    Shimano Biopace chainrings? I don't think wear will be an issue, the front rings seem in good
    condition I just don't know if they are at all compatible with a Campy chain?

    I'm going to be using downtube friction shifters for the moment, if that makes a difference (I
    don't think it should?).

    Also, this has just occured to me, I'll go and google for it in a sec but might as well ask while
    I'm here... can I get a powerlink type connector for Campy 9 and 10 speed chains?


    Yes but you might just buy a snaplink-enabled brand of nine speed chain to start with. (Here, we no
    longer use Campagnolo chain on new bikes.)

    No issues with the BioPace unless they're worn.

    --
    Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April, 1971

  7. Well a C10 chain works fine on TA Cyclotouriste rings, which are a much older design. The teeth on
    those chainrings, are, according to my vernier calipers, 2.1mm thick. That's compared to 1.94mm
    thick for a chainring that explicitly states that it's 10-speed compatible.

    Nick

    "Call me Bob" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    [snip]

    So, I'm having some wheels built up on Centaur hubs and intend run them with a new 9 or 10sp
    cassette, chain and front 'n rear mechs. Will the Campy 9/10sp chain run okay on my existing
    Shimano Biopace chainrings? I don't think wear will be an issue, the front rings seem in good
    condition I just don't know if they are at all compatible with a Campy chain?

  8. Nick Payne said:

    Well a C10 chain works fine on TA Cyclotouriste rings, which are a much older design. The teeth on
    those chainrings, are, according to my vernier calipers, 2.1mm thick. That's compared to 1.94mm
    thick for a chainring that explicitly states that it's 10-speed compatible.

    Sounds good, thanks for the info (also to other posters). I've ordered the bits now so it either
    works or I'm buying a new chainset.

    The dealer actually had some slightly old stock oft new Daytona chainsets for just 40 quid, which
    I'm very tempted by anyway, I've resisted for now....
    --

    "Bob"

    Email address is spamtrapped. To reply directly remove the beverage.

  9. Hey Bob!!!-

    << So, I'm having some wheels built up on Centaur hubs and intend run them with a new 9 or 10sp
    cassette, chain and front 'n rear mechs. Will the Campy 9/10sp chain run okay on my existing Shimano
    Biopace chainrings? >><BR><BR>

    Yep and don't need a new front mech.

    Bob!!<< can I get a powerlink type connector for Campy 9 and 10 speed chains? >><BR><BR>

    Sram gold for 9s, Whipperman for 10s.

    Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 vecchios.comvecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  10. Nick Payne said:

    Well a C10 chain works fine on TA Cyclotouriste rings, which are a much older design. The teeth on
    those chainrings, are, according to my vernier calipers, 2.1mm thick. That's compared to 1.94mm
    thick for a chainring that explicitly states that it's 10-speed compatible.

    This seems to be a new "standard" for 3/32" sprockets.

    I noticed that my new spare SRAM 3-spline sprocket for my Spectro S7 internal-gear hub looks thinner
    than the previous ones I'd bought (both 3/32" nominal). My measurements roughly agree with yours.

    Hopefully the metallurgy has improved so that there's no accelerated wear.

    John

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.