UK and Europe · Public discussion

Came into the 21st century.

Started by Sniper8052(L96A1) · · Last activity · 44 posts · 1,233 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
29 May 2006
Last activity
1 June 2006
Original author
Sniper8052(L96A1)
Posts
44
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,233
Views / 30 days
15

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 44
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Yesterday I took my first ride in 21st century fabrics, oh deep joy. I
    have pretty much always just used T-shirts and shorts but yesterday I
    did a little jaunt and, thanks to some discarded cycle squad kit, wore
    one of those fancy wicking T-shirts, after 40 miles I arrived home in a
    markedly sweeter smelling disposition than is normal and I would say in
    a better physical condition. Has anyone else used a new piece of simple
    kit that has made a noticeable difference to their cycling enjoyment?
    Maybe it's time to swop from trainers...

    Sniper8052

  2. Sniper8052(L96A1) came up with the following;:

    Quoted message said:

    Yesterday I took my first ride in 21st century fabrics, oh deep joy. I
    have pretty much always just used T-shirts and shorts but yesterday I
    did a little jaunt and, thanks to some discarded cycle squad kit, wore
    one of those fancy wicking T-shirts, after 40 miles I arrived home in a
    markedly sweeter smelling disposition than is normal and I would say in
    a better physical condition. Has anyone else used a new piece of simple
    kit that has made a noticeable difference to their cycling enjoyment?
    Maybe it's time to swop from trainers...

    The difference from 'normal' pedals to toe-straps was great. The difference
    from toe-straps to spd's was sublime. 😉

    I've now gone back to flat pedals, but with a very aggressive outer cage for
    as much grip as possible for off-roading. My Cruciate Ligament doesn't work
    well in my left knee and straps or spd's became a bit of a chore .. my lower
    leg flexes forward (hyper-extends) so pulling my knee back is a big no-no,
    as is twisting out. Even walking/turning on the spot can cause agony if my
    foot doesn't slip/slide around with my leg ... 😉

    --
    Paul ...
    (8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

  3. Sniper8052(L96A1) said:

    Yesterday I took my first ride in 21st century fabrics, oh deep joy. I
    have pretty much always just used T-shirts and shorts but yesterday I
    did a little jaunt and, thanks to some discarded cycle squad kit, wore
    one of those fancy wicking T-shirts, after 40 miles I arrived home in a
    markedly sweeter smelling disposition than is normal and I would say in
    a better physical condition. Has anyone else used a new piece of simple
    kit that has made a noticeable difference to their cycling enjoyment?
    Maybe it's time to swop from trainers...

    I recently got a headband from Lidl. It was part of the walking equipment
    sale. A great improvement from cycling bare headed, no sweat in the eyes,
    and no overheating from having a hat on. Proper cycling gear always makes
    for a more comfortable ride over those sort of distances.

    Trainers? You'll be telling us you use toe-straps next! Time to make another
    step into the 21st century and buy some clipless pedals and the relevant
    shoes.
    --
    Chris

    "Don't stop to stomp ants when the elephants are stampeding."

  4. Chris Slade said:


    Trainers? You'll be telling us you use toe-straps next! Time to make another
    step into the 21st century and buy some clipless pedals and the relevant
    shoes.

    Yep, we haven't had a first clipless tumble tale related to us in a
    while ;-)

    --
    Tony

    "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to authority is not using
    his intelligence; he is just using his memory."
    - Leonardo da Vinci

  5. Tony Raven said:

    Yep, we haven't had a first clipless tumble tale related to us in a while ;-)

    Has anyone else here never had one?

    --
    Eiron

    No good deed ever goes unpunished.

  6. Sniper8052(L96A1) said:

    Yesterday I took my first ride in 21st century fabrics, oh deep joy. I
    have pretty much always just used T-shirts and shorts but yesterday I
    did a little jaunt and, thanks to some discarded cycle squad kit, wore
    one of those fancy wicking T-shirts, after 40 miles I arrived home in a
    markedly sweeter smelling disposition than is normal and I would say in
    a better physical condition.

    Advantages well worth the disadvantage of being labelled a 'lycra
    lout'!

    Proper cycling shoes and clipless pedals really do offer significant
    benefits, so I would go for those next. Get MTB style ones you can
    still walk in the shoes and can also clip in whatever the orientation
    of the pedal. My fave piece of kit is my Assos winter jacket. Thanks
    to clever design (windproof on the front of the chest and arms,
    'roubaix' fabric elsewhere so your sweat evaporates away) you can ride
    in the middle of winter with just an under-jersey on and stay warm
    whilst not cooking on the climbs. I am always amazed how well it does
    the job.

  7. Sniper8052(L96A1) said:

    Yesterday I took my first ride in 21st century fabrics, oh deep joy. I
    have pretty much always just used T-shirts and shorts but yesterday I
    did a little jaunt and, thanks to some discarded cycle squad kit, wore
    one of those fancy wicking T-shirts, after 40 miles I arrived home in a
    markedly sweeter smelling disposition than is normal and I would say in
    a better physical condition. Has anyone else used a new piece of simple
    kit that has made a noticeable difference to their cycling enjoyment?
    Maybe it's time to swop from trainers...

    Sniper8052

    A fleece headband which kind of "swoops" down to cover my lugs has
    transformed frosty mornings from painful to tolerable. The band fits
    nicely under a kona stretchy baseball cap giving a combo that doesn't
    cause overheating, as a benny hat tends to, but keeps my mighty flaps
    comfortable.

  8. Eiron said:
    Tony Raven said:

    Yep, we haven't had a first clipless tumble tale related to us in a while ;-)

    Has anyone else here never had one?

    I never had one. Had plenty since whilst riding tricky technical
    descents/ascents though!
    --
    http://www.addict-racing.com

  9. Eiron said:
    Tony Raven said:

    Yep, we haven't had a first clipless tumble tale related to us in a
    while ;-)

    Has anyone else here never had one?

    Not as such. Had one episode when some b*****d did the tension screws
    up to max when I was shopping. Had difficulty but eventually got into
    them but couldn't get out. The rest have been legitimate mountain
    biking falls.

    --
    Tony

    "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to authority is not using
    his intelligence; he is just using his memory."
    - Leonardo da Vinci

  10. "Sniper8052(L96A1)" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    Has anyone else used a new piece of simple

    Quoted message said:

    kit that has made a noticeable difference to their cycling enjoyment?


    ....

    The switch from triangular sandwich packs to baguettes, fajitas and sushi
    boxes means I can carry my dinner in the rear pockets of my jersey.

    1st pocket - minidisc
    2nd pocket - food
    3rd pocket - wallet

    --
    Simon Mason
    http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

  11. Simon Mason said:


    The switch from triangular sandwich packs to baguettes, fajitas and sushi
    boxes means I can carry my dinner in the rear pockets of my jersey.

    1st pocket - minidisc
    2nd pocket - food
    3rd pocket - wallet

    Phone?

    Not sure about sushi after it has been bounced around in a warm back
    pocket for a few hours and where do you put the skillet and stove for
    the sizzling fajitas?

    --
    Tony

    "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to authority is not using
    his intelligence; he is just using his memory."
    - Leonardo da Vinci

  12. in message <[email hidden]>, Sniper805

    (L96A1) (') said:

    Yesterday I took my first ride in 21st century fabrics, oh deep joy. I
    have pretty much always just used T-shirts and shorts but yesterday I
    did a little jaunt and, thanks to some discarded cycle squad kit, wore
    one of those fancy wicking T-shirts, after 40 miles I arrived home in
    a markedly sweeter smelling disposition than is normal and I would say
    in
    a better physical condition. Has anyone else used a new piece of
    simple kit that has made a noticeable difference to their cycling
    enjoyment? Maybe it's time to swop from trainers...

    Proper cycling shoes are the biggest. But even simple track-mitts are
    wonderful. I also held out against Lycra for literally years, and now
    wish I hadn't.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    :: Wisdom is better than weapons of war ::
    :: Ecclesiastes 9:18 ::

  13. "Tony Raven" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Simon Mason said:


    The switch from triangular sandwich packs to baguettes, fajitas and sushi
    boxes means I can carry my dinner in the rear pockets of my jersey.

    1st pocket - minidisc
    2nd pocket - food
    3rd pocket - wallet

    Phone?

    I must be the only person in this country who has never owned a mobile phone
    at all - I've never had the need for one. In the last 5 years I must have
    used a public phone box only once - far too infrequent to warrant a mobile.

    Why on earth you see people in supermarkets going up and down the aisles
    asking if the person on the other end wants the 500g tin of beans instead of
    two 250g ones as it's 2p cheaper beats the hell out of me. Just buy the
    flaming thing!

    Quoted message said:

    Not sure about sushi after it has been bounced around in a warm back
    pocket for a few hours and where do you put the skillet and stove for the
    sizzling fajitas?

    I meant the cold wraps, rather than the restaurant fajitas- at Waitrose you
    can even get a wrap with sushi as the filling. Wait until 1700 on a Saturday
    and you can get a 6 quid box of sushi for a couple of quid.

    It's only a 30 mins ride from one fridge to another, so it's not too bad.

    --
    Simon Mason
    http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

  14. Sniper8052(L96A1) said:

    Yesterday I took my first ride in 21st century fabrics, oh deep joy. I
    have pretty much always just used T-shirts and shorts but yesterday I
    did a little jaunt and, thanks to some discarded cycle squad kit, wore
    one of those fancy wicking T-shirts, after 40 miles I arrived home in a
    markedly sweeter smelling disposition than is normal and I would say in
    a better physical condition. Has anyone else used a new piece of simple
    kit that has made a noticeable difference to their cycling enjoyment?
    Maybe it's time to swop from trainers...

    Sniper8052

    1. Cycling jersey, £2.50 from Aldi - no more sweat stains!

    2. Proper cycling shoes - you'll wonder how you ever did without 'em. My
    Shimano M072's are great and you can still walk on them - just beware
    wet decking!

    3. SPD pedals...err, OK I haven't bought 'em yet but I've run out of
    pocket money this month...

  15. Tony Raven said:


    Yep, we haven't had a first clipless tumble tale related to us in a
    while ;-)

    A short while ago I bought a Specialized Tricross (after some very useful
    advice here). I'd experimented for a month or so with some cheap Aldi
    clipless pedals, so I bought some nice new Eggbeaters for the new bike
    and have been very pleased with them (simple mechanism, easy to clip in
    and out, no need for tension adjustment). I'd had one minor clipless
    tumble, but suspected it didn't count as noone was watching.

    I went with some friends to a local town event, the Waendel Weekend,
    which is 3 days of walking, cycling and street entertainment. The
    cycle ride was a very leisurely 26 miles with many checkpoints,
    with extended stops for drinks, cake, hotdogs and picnics.

    On arriving at one of these checkpoints, I took the wrong side of a
    village green and suddenly found I had a rather steep curve to mount.
    Not wanting to buckle my shiny new wheel I unclipped left, stopped,
    and dismounted right. Not ideal. Still trying to save the scratches
    I dived to the ground and rolled right onto my back like an upturned
    beetle, much to the concern of the nearby picnickers.

    Fortunately, only my dignity was harmed. And I'm hoping the next
    emergency dismount will be a little more graceful !

    -adrian

  16. Simon Mason said:


    Why on earth you see people in supermarkets going up and down the aisles
    asking if the person on the other end wants the 500g tin of beans instead of
    two 250g ones as it's 2p cheaper beats the hell out of me. Just buy the
    flaming thing!

    Well, if you've been seduced by a salesman into buying the ten gazillion
    free minutes a month package and you've got nothing to talk about, you
    have to find some way of using them up or admit you wuz dun ;-)

    --
    Tony

    "Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to authority is not using
    his intelligence; he is just using his memory."
    - Leonardo da Vinci

  17. Sniper8052(L96A1) said:

    Yesterday I took my first ride in 21st century fabrics, oh deep joy. I
    have pretty much always just used T-shirts and shorts but yesterday I
    did a little jaunt and, thanks to some discarded cycle squad kit, wore
    one of those fancy wicking T-shirts, after 40 miles I arrived home in a
    markedly sweeter smelling disposition than is normal and I would say in
    a better physical condition. Has anyone else used a new piece of simple
    kit that has made a noticeable difference to their cycling enjoyment?
    Maybe it's time to swop from trainers...

    My list of things which have made a difference over the years:
    Clipless pedals - which means cycling shoes too.
    Clear glasses for the gnats to trampoline on in the early evening (the
    £2.99 Tchibo ones are my favourites).
    A selection of gloves to match the weather conditions.
    Fleece hat for the winter.
    Any device which means I don't have to take my hands off the brakes to
    change gear.
    Brakes which work better (several incarnations).
    Each new bike.

    Finally, for big grin factor, a fixed gear bike.

    --

    JimP

    " " - John Cage

  18. In article said:
    Tony Raven said:

    Yep, we haven't had a first clipless tumble tale related to us in a while ;-)

    Has anyone else here never had one?

    I haven't, but I don't do off-road and a lot of my commuting is in normal
    shoes.

  19. in message <[email hidden]>, Adrian Godwin

    (') said:
    Tony Raven said:


    Yep, we haven't had a first clipless tumble tale related to us in a
    while ;-)

    A short while ago I bought a Specialized Tricross (after some very
    useful advice here).

    Tell us how you like it, and what you use it for. I think it's one of the
    most interesting bikes on the market just now, but I haven't got one.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    ;; If you're doing this for fun, do what seems fun. If you're
    ;; doing it for money, stop now.
    ;; Rainer Deyke

  20. Simon Mason said:

    Wait until 1700 on a Saturday
    and you can get a 6 quid box of sushi for a couple of quid.


    I wouldn't buy sushi if it had sick squid in it!

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.