Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Caliper road brakes and direct pull cantilever levers

Started by Earthstick · · Last activity · 31 posts · 1,327 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
29 January 2006
Last activity
8 February 2006
Original author
Earthstick
Posts
31
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,327
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 31
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I understand that direct pull cantilever, V brakes, have more
    mechanical advantage than other brakes and the levers are made to have
    less advantage so that the braking force is in a useful range. If I
    were to mount road caliper brakes which have less mechanical advantage
    which levers would I use?

    This is for a flat bar commuting/city bike so road levers are not an
    option but the V-brake levers will lessen the braking ability. The
    reason for the query is that most forks do not have the bosses for
    V-brakes to mount to so v-brakes limit the choice of forks.

  2. Earthstick said:

    I understand that direct pull cantilever, V brakes, have more
    mechanical advantage than other brakes and the levers are made to have
    less advantage so that the braking force is in a useful range. If I
    were to mount road caliper brakes which have less mechanical advantage
    which levers would I use?

    This is for a flat bar commuting/city bike so road levers are not an
    option but the V-brake levers will lessen the braking ability. The
    reason for the query is that most forks do not have the bosses for
    V-brakes to mount to so v-brakes limit the choice of forks.

    Brake levers that are made for cantilevers. E.g.
    lickbike.comproductpage.aspx

    Robin Hubert

  3. Earthstick said:

    I understand that direct pull cantilever, V brakes, have more
    mechanical advantage than other brakes and the levers are made to have
    less advantage so that the braking force is in a useful range. If I
    were to mount road caliper brakes which have less mechanical advantage
    which levers would I use?

    This is for a flat bar commuting/city bike so road levers are not an
    option but the V-brake levers will lessen the braking ability. The
    reason for the query is that most forks do not have the bosses for
    V-brakes to mount to so v-brakes limit the choice of forks.

    Dual Pivot road brakes have excellent mechanical advantage and are
    equal to or better than "V" brakes. Dual pivot brakes are available in
    both short reach and standard reach. Cantilever brakes such as Avid
    Shorty work as well if not better than "V" brakes. Ca,py makes road
    levers for flat bars. Shimano probably does too.

    You can get fatter tires between V and Cantilever brakes than Dual
    Pivots.

  4. Earthstick said:

    I understand that direct pull cantilever, V brakes, have more
    mechanical advantage than other brakes and the levers are made to have
    less advantage so that the braking force is in a useful range. If I
    were to mount road caliper brakes which have less mechanical advantage
    which levers would I use?

    You need to use "standard-pull" brake levers, as opposed to "V-brake"
    levers. These are available anywhere, since they were the standard
    before V-brakes became available in 1996.

    Here's a couple variations:
    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/brake-levers-up.html
    http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?&c=Components&tc=MTB-Levers-Cantilever

    Jeff

  5. Ok, thanks for informing me 🙂

  6. Could I use the Avid Speed Dials that I use now?

  7. Earthstick said:

    Could I use the Avid Speed Dials that I use now?

    I've never tried it, but I'd say yes. Set them to the maximum
    leverage/minimum travel setting, then adjust from there.

    Jeff

  8. Paul Kopit said:


    Dual Pivot road brakes have excellent mechanical advantage and are
    equal to or better than "V" brakes.

    Straight up hogwash. They might have similar initial lever response in
    some setups, but dual-pivot sidepulls can't match the power of any
    half-decent stud-mounted brake. You must have limited your experience
    to some exceedingly gimpy V-brakes.

    Chalo

  9. JeffWills said:
    Earthstick said:

    Could I use the Avid Speed Dials that I use now?

    I've never tried it, but I'd say yes. Set them to the maximum
    leverage/minimum travel setting, then adjust from there.

    Some official sources say that you can't use V-brake Avid SDs with cantis,
    but I tend to agree that it'll work, although one might need to squeeze
    extra-hard.
    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  10. Chalo said:
    Paul Kopit said:


    Dual Pivot road brakes have excellent mechanical advantage and are
    equal to or better than "V" brakes.

    Straight up hogwash. They might have similar initial lever response in
    some setups, but dual-pivot sidepulls can't match the power of any
    half-decent stud-mounted brake. You must have limited your experience
    to some exceedingly gimpy V-brakes.

    FWIW, I ran a number of different cantis on my old Santana tandem, and
    designed my new tandem around sidepulls. No comparison - the braking
    is much, much better with sidepulls (especially the rear). And a
    twofer is the ultimate brake test (even compared to half-bikes with
    humongous riders).

    Mark Hickey
    Habanero Cycles
    http://www.habcycles.com
    Home of the $795 ti frame

  11. Chalo said:
    Paul Kopit said:


    Dual Pivot road brakes have excellent mechanical advantage and are
    equal to or better than "V" brakes.

    Straight up hogwash. They might have similar initial lever response in
    some setups, but dual-pivot sidepulls can't match the power of any
    half-decent stud-mounted brake. You must have limited your experience
    to some exceedingly gimpy V-brakes.

    I think the OP was referring to the pad-motion for a given cable pull as
    the idea of "mechanical advantage", not maximum force.

    But I disagree with you here. You have to counter the amount of force you
    can apply with the angle at which it is applied. V-brakes or canti's
    apply their braking force at a 45-degree angle to the rim, so lose a fair
    fraction of that force pushing the pad down, not in.

    Since the overall mechanical advantage (lever + caliper) has to be about
    the same for any brake, to get from reasonable separation to max pressure
    without bottoming out the lever, the available pressure would be about the
    same for both kinds. V brakes have both the angle problem (reducing the
    max force by almost 30%), and the extra flex of the fork blades, studs,
    and brake arms, so that a caliper should be measurably stronger -- unless
    they are set up with very tight pad clearance, which presents its own
    problems.

    the main disadvantage of calipers is that they aren't big enough for fat
    tires.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | When you are up to your ass in alligators, it's hard to remember
    _`\(,_ | that your initial objective was to drain the swamp. -- LBJ
    (_)/ (_) |

  12. David L. Johnson said:


    V brakes have both the angle problem (reducing the
    max force by almost 30%), and the extra flex of the fork blades, studs,
    and brake arms, so that a caliper should be measurably stronger -- unless
    they are set up with very tight pad clearance, which presents its own
    problems.

    the main disadvantage of calipers is that they aren't big enough for fat
    tires.

    The main disadvantage of caliper brakes is the fact that they are
    dangled off of a single 6mm fastener with very short bushing surfaces
    and 1-1/2 to 3-1/2 inches of lever arm from pivot to pad. Compare
    cantilever brakes with two cylindrical studs of 8mm diameter and
    something like 16mm of bushing length each, and only 1" from pivot to
    pad.

    I have a Shimano dual pivot caliper brake on one of my bikes, and I set
    the pads to contact the rim with at least 2mm clearance to the rim
    edge. When I apply the brake strongly, the caliper flexes enough to
    deflect the tips of the brake pads more than 4mm into the tire
    sidewall. I can hear them scream against the tire's molded serrations
    and I can see the evidence of them having made contact. I have had
    this verified visually by one of my friends riding alongside.

    At the same time they do that, they don't exert nearly as much braking
    power as the completely ordinary and somewhat worn-out pair of
    low-profile cantilevers on the back of the same bike-- with the same
    pads.

    Most people don't distinguish between the maximum power of different
    brakes because they simply can't use that much braking power before
    they skid in the rear or tip up with the front. Since I can apply
    about twice as much braking force as a typical rider before these
    things happen, I find it easy to discern the difference between brakes
    when it comes to their maximum power. Sidepulls just don't deliver the
    goods like U-brakes, cantilevers, linear-pulls, and rollercams can.

    Chalo

  13. Mark Hickey said:


    FWIW, I ran a number of different cantis on my old Santana tandem, and
    designed my new tandem around sidepulls. No comparison - the braking
    is much, much better with sidepulls (especially the rear).

    That must be why sidepulls are the hands-down choice of tandemists for
    as long as anybody can remember. (Not.)

    Every time I ride, I get to observe the comparative merits of different
    brakes. With some 15 bikes to choose from that have lever-actuated
    brakes of all sorts, I get to try a pretty good cross-section of what's
    available.

    In my observation, dual-pivot calipers are noticeably more powerful
    than drum brakes. Flimsy cantilever brakes in turn are more powerful
    than calipers, and disc brakes and U-brakes are stronger yet. Good
    strong linear-pulls and self-energizing cantilevers are the most potent
    brakes of all, when they are equipped with booster arches to limit
    flex. Linking the top of the booster arch to the fork crown or
    suspension fork slider bridge makes a noticeable difference too.

    I have noticed that the initial lever response of a brake is not
    necessarily a good indication of its maximum power. Drum brakes have
    better maximum power than BMX calipers, although their initial response
    often isn't as good. Likewise discs have fantastic initial bite-- much
    better than that of U-brakes-- while U-brakes can offer maximum power
    equal to or better than that of most discs.

    It is in their initial response that dual-pivots perform well, before
    braking forces flex them out of alignment. That makes them a
    reasonable choice for short-wheelbase bikes (easily tipped up) that are
    often ridden without a strong grip on the levers (hands on the hoods)--
    which unsurprisingly is how they are used.

    Chalo Colina

  14. In article
    <[email hidden]>,

    Chalo said:
    David L. Johnson said:


    V brakes have both the angle problem (reducing the
    max force by almost 30%), and the extra flex of the fork blades, studs,
    and brake arms, so that a caliper should be measurably stronger -- unless
    they are set up with very tight pad clearance, which presents its own
    problems.

    the main disadvantage of calipers is that they aren't big enough for fat
    tires.

    The main disadvantage of caliper brakes is the fact that they are
    dangled off of a single 6mm fastener with very short bushing surfaces
    and 1-1/2 to 3-1/2 inches of lever arm from pivot to pad. Compare
    cantilever brakes with two cylindrical studs of 8mm diameter and
    something like 16mm of bushing length each, and only 1" from pivot to
    pad.

    I have a Shimano dual pivot caliper brake on one of my bikes, and I set
    the pads to contact the rim with at least 2mm clearance to the rim
    edge. When I apply the brake strongly, the caliper flexes enough to
    deflect the tips of the brake pads more than 4mm into the tire
    sidewall. I can hear them scream against the tire's molded serrations
    and I can see the evidence of them having made contact. I have had
    this verified visually by one of my friends riding alongside.

    At the same time they do that, they don't exert nearly as much braking
    power as the completely ordinary and somewhat worn-out pair of
    low-profile cantilevers on the back of the same bike-- with the same
    pads.

    Most people don't distinguish between the maximum power of different
    brakes because they simply can't use that much braking power before
    they skid in the rear or tip up with the front. Since I can apply
    about twice as much braking force as a typical rider before these
    things happen, I find it easy to discern the difference between brakes
    when it comes to their maximum power. Sidepulls just don't deliver the
    goods like U-brakes, cantilevers, linear-pulls, and rollercams can.

    Thanks for this.

    Most brakes are perfectly adequate for non-heavy riders. I
    can haul on my single pivot 60 mm side pull brakes and
    apply more braking power than I and my bike can use while
    maintaining stability. I find this not by accident or
    opinion. I find this to be so by practicing; by riding in
    a situation where I need little attention for anything but
    exploring the limits of my brake system and braking
    technique.

    --
    Michael Press

  15. Chalo said:
    Mark Hickey said:


    FWIW, I ran a number of different cantis on my old Santana tandem, and
    designed my new tandem around sidepulls. No comparison - the braking
    is much, much better with sidepulls (especially the rear).

    That must be why sidepulls are the hands-down choice of tandemists for
    as long as anybody can remember. (Not.)

    But they are becoming more and more popular (note that many of the
    high-performance tandem forks are set up for caliper brakes. I agree
    that the old single-pivots (with their lower mechanical advantage)
    would have been marginal.

    Quoted message said:

    Every time I ride, I get to observe the comparative merits of different
    brakes. With some 15 bikes to choose from that have lever-actuated
    brakes of all sorts, I get to try a pretty good cross-section of what's
    available.

    In my observation, dual-pivot calipers are noticeably more powerful
    than drum brakes. Flimsy cantilever brakes in turn are more powerful
    than calipers, and disc brakes and U-brakes are stronger yet.

    That's just not my observation - particularly not with cantis mated to
    road brake levers. I tried the long-pull DiaCompe levers as well - it
    helped, but the braking was still mediocre. Solid straddles helped
    the cantis more, but I eneded up going with an odd hydraulic canti on
    the front of my old tandem.

    With the new one, I slapped on a pair of Campy calipers (mated to
    Campy levers of course), and the stopping power is at least as good as
    my old tandem, and is a heck of a lot easier to keep in adjustment.

    Mark Hickey
    Habanero Cycles
    http://www.habcycles.com
    Home of the $795 ti frame

  16. Michael Press said:

    In article
    <[email hidden]>,
    "Chalo" <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Most people don't distinguish between the maximum power of different
    brakes because they simply can't use that much braking power before
    they skid in the rear or tip up with the front. Since I can apply
    about twice as much braking force as a typical rider before these
    things happen, I find it easy to discern the difference between brakes
    when it comes to their maximum power. Sidepulls just don't deliver the
    goods like U-brakes, cantilevers, linear-pulls, and rollercams can.

    Thanks for this.

    Most brakes are perfectly adequate for non-heavy riders. I
    can haul on my single pivot 60 mm side pull brakes and
    apply more braking power than I and my bike can use while
    maintaining stability. I find this not by accident or
    opinion. I find this to be so by practicing; by riding in
    a situation where I need little attention for anything but
    exploring the limits of my brake system and braking
    technique.

    I've got to agree with Chalo's comments, they pretty much agree with my
    (more limited) experience.

    Re: single pivot side pulls, I have these on my fixed gear and find that
    they can lift a rear wheel OK, which means that they're strong enough
    usually, but in wet weather they seem to take longer to "squeegee" the
    rims than more powerful canti's on another bike (I swap the same front
    wheel). Net effect is dry stops adequate, wet stops, not.

  17. Chalo said:


    It is in their initial response that dual-pivots perform well, before
    braking forces flex them out of alignment. That makes them a
    reasonable choice for short-wheelbase bikes (easily tipped up) that are
    often ridden without a strong grip on the levers (hands on the hoods)--
    which unsurprisingly is how they are used.

    Chalo Colina

    Not sure, but this may be the place[thread] to ask my brake question.

    How do the different road calipers compare, in pull strength needed to
    lock up the wheel?

    Let me explain, on my 2002 LeMond, I still have the stock generic
    calipers, described as "aluminum dual pivot", it may be made by
    Tektro[?], no markings are on it. I have Kool Stop salmon pads on it.

    The rear with my stronger, bigger, right hand, I can lock up, from the
    hoods. The front, with my smaller weaker, fingers missing, left hand,
    I can't lock up the front. I would like to more effectively use the
    front brake, no I don't want to switch the front to the right lever.
    The brake levers are Dura-Ace 7703 STI.

    Would a DA, Ultegra, or a Campy do more at the caliper, with a light
    pull, compared to my current caliper?
    If so, which model? l Are the new shimano 7800, 6600 series better
    than the 7700, 6500, or is the difference cosmetic? How do the Campy
    calipers compare? Any other brands, that I should consider.
    Price, and/or availibility, will determine whether I replace just the
    front, or both.

    Any info will be appreciated.
    Thank you,
    Jeff

  18. Chalo said:
    David L. Johnson said:


    V brakes have both the angle problem (reducing the
    max force by almost 30%), and the extra flex of the fork blades, studs,
    and brake arms, so that a caliper should be measurably stronger -- unless
    they are set up with very tight pad clearance, which presents its own
    problems.

    the main disadvantage of calipers is that they aren't big enough for fat
    tires.

    The main disadvantage of caliper brakes is the fact that they are
    dangled off of a single 6mm fastener with very short bushing surfaces
    and 1-1/2 to 3-1/2 inches of lever arm from pivot to pad. Compare
    cantilever brakes with two cylindrical studs of 8mm diameter and
    something like 16mm of bushing length each, and only 1" from pivot to
    pad.

    But the stresses on those bushings are greater than with a caliper brake,
    as well.

    Quoted message said:


    I have a Shimano dual pivot caliper brake on one of my bikes, and I set
    the pads to contact the rim with at least 2mm clearance to the rim
    edge. When I apply the brake strongly, the caliper flexes enough to
    deflect the tips of the brake pads more than 4mm into the tire
    sidewall.

    Strange that I have my brake pads set with the same clearance, and never,
    ever, have seen any evidence of contact with the sidewall. Is this a
    long-reach caliper? Is there something unusual about the mounting?

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | Accept risk. Accept responsibility. Put a lawyer out of
    _`\(,_ | business.
    (_)/ (_) |

  19. Jeff Starr said:


    How do the different road calipers compare, in pull strength needed to
    lock up the wheel?

    Let me explain, on my 2002 LeMond, I still have the stock generic
    calipers, described as "aluminum dual pivot", it may be made by
    Tektro[?], no markings are on it. I have Kool Stop salmon pads on it.

    The rear with my stronger, bigger, right hand, I can lock up, from the
    hoods. The front, with my smaller weaker, fingers missing, left hand,
    I can't lock up the front. I would like to more effectively use the
    front brake, no I don't want to switch the front to the right lever.
    The brake levers are Dura-Ace 7703 STI.

    ?? You don't actually want to lock up the front, do you?

    If you're talking about any sort of conventional bike, it's not going
    to happen - at least, not on dry pavement. You'll fly over the bars
    before you lock the front wheel.

    And if you do lock the front wheel (say, on slippery pavement) you're
    almost certainly going down. You can't steer to maintain balance. Try
    it on an icy pond, if you must. You'll see.

    Essentially, you can't get what you want, and you almost certainly
    don't need it. More mechanical advantage, yes - but locking the front,
    no.

    - Frank Krygowski

  20. Mark Hickey said:


    Chalo said:


    In my observation, dual-pivot calipers are noticeably more powerful
    than drum brakes. Flimsy cantilever brakes in turn are more powerful
    than calipers, and disc brakes and U-brakes are stronger yet.

    That's just not my observation - particularly not with cantis mated to
    road brake levers. I tried the long-pull DiaCompe levers as well - it
    helped, but the braking was still mediocre.

    That probably accounts for it. I haven't used drop bars in years, but
    when I did, I always had weak mushy brakes.

    Chalo

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.