Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Brifters on MTB with Shimano 7sp

Started by Peon · · Last activity · 8 posts · 882 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
23 August 2007
Last activity
23 August 2007
Original author
Peon
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
882
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi to all!
    I'm having some troubles: I've "inherited" an old MTB, from 1996, that
    mounts STX (MC34) Shimano group.

    Now, I'd like to have drop bar and brifter on it... Reading from the net,
    I've discovered that there are a lot of incompatibilities between the
    components (but! This will not discourage me!!)

    1- Using Shimano STI 8-speed (like ST-A417, 1055-T, A410, 3303) or 7-speed
    3303-7:
    this setup would be compatible with rear derailleur and cassette, but
    Shimano spacing between front chain rings is different from MTB to Road
    Bikes...
    On CTC's site I read about the possibility of adapt the STI shifters to MTB
    front der: " To make it work with less cable you can effectively shorten the
    arm by anchoring the cable on the other side of the screw, so it's less far
    from the pivot." Is it effectively possible?

    2- Using Campagnolo ErgoPower 8-speed or above (changing the internal
    mechanism):
    Would this setup be compatible with my front crankset/chainring? The Campys
    are not indexed, so I hope they could be ok with MTB chainring spacing...
    Plus: I'd need to buy a Campagnolo rear der (with long cage!) or use the
    Jtek Engineering ShiftMate model#1

    3- Using Modolo Morphos levers
    Today I spoke with a technician from Modolo (I'm Italian!). He said me that
    they have not tested the levers with front MTB triples and it should not
    work with that cable amount difference (19.5mm MTB vs 13.5mm Road). Maybe,
    is it possible to make (with this levers) the same modification described
    from CTC?

    What solution should I go for? Have you got other suggestions/experiences to
    tell me about?

    Thanks a lot!

    Ciao ciaoo!
    Matteo
    ZA

    Milano - Italia

  2. Peon said:

    Hi to all!
    I'm having some troubles: I've "inherited" an old MTB, from 1996, that
    mounts STX (MC34) Shimano group.

    Now, I'd like to have drop bar and brifter on it... Reading from the net,
    I've discovered that there are a lot of incompatibilities between the
    components (but! This will not discourage me!!)

    You forgot option 4.

    4: installing a 2nd hand road crankset.

    Probably the cheapest option.

    --
    Human Powered Cycles | High quality servicing and repairs
    [email hidden] | Affordable second hand bikes
    (03) 9029 6504 | Bicycle reuse centre
    www.humanpowered.com.au | Mechanical and on-road training and instruction

  3. Peon said:

    Hi to all!
    I'm having some troubles: I've "inherited" an old MTB, from 1996, that
    mounts STX (MC34) Shimano group.

    Now, I'd like to have drop bar and brifter on it... Reading from the net,
    I've discovered that there are a lot of incompatibilities between the
    components (but! This will not discourage me!!)

    1- Using Shimano STI 8-speed (like ST-A417, 1055-T, A410, 3303) or 7-speed
    3303-7:
    this setup would be compatible with rear derailleur and cassette, but
    Shimano spacing between front chain rings is different from MTB to Road
    Bikes...
    On CTC's site I read about the possibility of adapt the STI shifters to MTB
    front der: " To make it work with less cable you can effectively shorten the
    arm by anchoring the cable on the other side of the screw, so it's less far
    from the pivot." Is it effectively possible?

    2- Using Campagnolo ErgoPower 8-speed or above (changing the internal
    mechanism):
    Would this setup be compatible with my front crankset/chainring? The Campys
    are not indexed, so I hope they could be ok with MTB chainring spacing...
    Plus: I'd need to buy a Campagnolo rear der (with long cage!) or use the
    Jtek Engineering ShiftMate model#1

    Do this..make the right ERGO 8s, use a Campagnolo rear derailleur,
    long cage and any front der/crank combo..plus the levers can be
    overhauled...It'll shift 7s anything well.

    Quoted message said:


    3- Using Modolo Morphos levers
    Today I spoke with a technician from Modolo (I'm Italian!). He said me that
    they have not tested the levers with front MTB triples and it should not
    work with that cable amount difference (19.5mm MTB vs 13.5mm Road). Maybe,
    is it possible to make (with this levers) the same modification described
    from CTC?

    What solution should I go for? Have you got other suggestions/experiences to
    tell me about?

    Thanks a lot!

    Ciao ciaoo!
    Matteo
    ZA

    Milano - Italia

  4. "Joel Mayes" <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    You forgot option 4.
    4: installing a 2nd hand road crankset.
    Probably the cheapest option.

    Probably, but I'd like to keep my mountain gears on the front...

    Thanks!

    Ciao ciaoo!
    Matteo
    ZA

  5. "Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com" <[email hidden]> ha scritto
    nel messaggio news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    2- Using Campagnolo ErgoPower 8-speed or above (changing the internal
    mechanism):
    Would this setup be compatible with my front crankset/chainring? The
    Campys
    are not indexed, so I hope they could be ok with MTB chainring spacing...
    Plus: I'd need to buy a Campagnolo rear der (with long cage!) or use the
    Jtek Engineering ShiftMate model#1

    Do this..make the right ERGO 8s, use a Campagnolo rear derailleur,
    long cage [...]

    Reading CTC's page I noticed that Campagnolo 9speed has 3.0mm cable pull.
    This, multiplied for 1.7mm (gear ratio of Shimano derailleurs), makes 5.1mm:
    nearly my 7-speed spacing (5.0mm)!
    Should it work?

    Quoted message said:

    [...] and any front der/crank combo..plus the levers can be
    overhauled...It'll shift 7s anything well.

    So, Ergo *will* work with mountain bike crankset! WOW!!

    Thanks!

    Ciao ciaoo!
    Matteo
    ZA

  6. Peon said:

    Hi to all!
    I'm having some troubles: I've "inherited" an old MTB, from 1996, that
    mounts STX (MC34) Shimano group.

    Now, I'd like to have drop bar and brifter on it... Reading from the net,
    I've discovered that there are a lot of incompatibilities between the
    components (but! This will not discourage me!!)

    1- Using Shimano STI 8-speed (like ST-A417, 1055-T, A410, 3303) or 7-speed
    3303-7:
    this setup would be compatible with rear derailleur and cassette, but
    Shimano spacing between front chain rings is different from MTB to Road
    Bikes...
    On CTC's site I read about the possibility of adapt the STI shifters to MTB
    front der: " To make it work with less cable you can effectively shorten the
    arm by anchoring the cable on the other side of the screw, so it's less far
    from the pivot." Is it effectively possible?

    2- Using Campagnolo ErgoPower 8-speed or above (changing the internal
    mechanism):
    Would this setup be compatible with my front crankset/chainring? The Campys
    are not indexed, so I hope they could be ok with MTB chainring spacing...
    Plus: I'd need to buy a Campagnolo rear der (with long cage!) or use the
    Jtek Engineering ShiftMate model#1

    I'd think you could just use pre2006 9s Ergo to get the ratchety front der and
    connect the rear der using the hubbub cabling.

    Ron

  7. RonSonic said:
    Peon said:

    Hi to all!
    I'm having some troubles: I've "inherited" an old MTB, from 1996, that
    mounts STX (MC34) Shimano group.

    Quoted message said:

    Now, I'd like to have drop bar and brifter on it... Reading from the net,
    I've discovered that there are a lot of incompatibilities between the
    components (but! This will not discourage me!!)

    Quoted message said:

    1- Using Shimano STI 8-speed (like ST-A417, 1055-T, A410, 3303) or 7-speed
    3303-7:
    this setup would be compatible with rear derailleur and cassette, but
    Shimano spacing between front chain rings is different from MTB to Road
    Bikes...
    On CTC's site I read about the possibility of adapt the STI shifters to MTB
    front der: " To make it work with less cable you can effectively shorten the
    arm by anchoring the cable on the other side of the screw, so it's less far
    from the pivot." Is it effectively possible?

    Quoted message said:

    2- Using Campagnolo ErgoPower 8-speed or above (changing the internal
    mechanism):
    Would this setup be compatible with my front crankset/chainring? The Campys
    are not indexed, so I hope they could be ok with MTB chainring spacing...
    Plus: I'd need to buy a Campagnolo rear der (with long cage!) or use the
    Jtek Engineering ShiftMate model#1

    I'd think you could just use pre2006 9s Ergo to get the ratchety front der and
    connect the rear der using the hubbub cabling.

    Ron- Hide quoted text -

    - Show quoted text -

    Don't do the Hubbub with 9s ergos unless you have an 8sp cassette.
    Unmodified it shifts 7sp with a Shimano mech. 8 with Hubbub.

    And yes, I've done it (both 7sp unmodified and 8sp w/Hubbub, with 9sp
    Mirage brifters and an RSX RD), so I'm not talking out my butt.

  8. "Hank Wirtz" <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Don't do the Hubbub with 9s ergos unless you have an 8sp cassette.
    Unmodified it shifts 7sp with a Shimano mech. 8 with Hubbub.

    And yes, I've done it (both 7sp unmodified and 8sp w/Hubbub, with 9sp
    Mirage brifters and an RSX RD), so I'm not talking out my butt.

    First of all: thanks!! We are in the same situation!

    Ah! In an italian newsgroup someone suggested me to use 10sp Ergo (2.8mm
    cable pull x 1.7 gear ratio = 4,76mm of spacing) instead of 9sp (3.0mm x 1.7
    = 5.1mm), because of upgradeability but, as you say, I could use 8sp
    cassette also with 9sp Ergos...

    Your suggestion convinced me! I'll look for 9sp Campagnolo ErgoPowers!

    Thanks again!

    Ciao ciaoo!
    Teo
    ZA

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.