Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

Brake levers fo flat bars for road brake calipers

Started by PiledHigher · · Last activity · 6 posts · 537 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
24 July 2006
Last activity
26 July 2006
Original author
PiledHigher
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
537
Views / 30 days
14

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I know we've done this before but what are the prefrred brands/models
    of brake levers for road calipers to suit flat bars (for another fixie
    project)?

    PiledHigher

  2. PiledHigher said:

    I know we've done this before but what are the prefrred brands/models
    of brake levers for road calipers to suit flat bars (for another fixie
    project)?

    IIRC (big if!) you're after something to suit a cantilever brake rather
    than a V-brake. The Vs pull more cable. Some, like the Avid SD range, have
    adjustable leverage. I've even seen cheap Tektro levers with this feature,
    though it was only a two position thing rather than the thumbscrew on the
    Avids.

    If it's a project bike, try getting some older levers from Bicycle Recycle.

    --
    Dave Hughes | [email hidden]
    "Some drink from the Fountain of Knowledge... Others just gargle."
    - Dave Aronson

  3. Random Data said:
    PiledHigher said:

    I know we've done this before but what are the prefrred brands/models
    of brake levers for road calipers to suit flat bars (for another fixie
    project)?

    IIRC (big if!) you're after something to suit a cantilever brake rather
    than a V-brake. The Vs pull more cable. Some, like the Avid SD range, have
    adjustable leverage. I've even seen cheap Tektro levers with this feature,
    though it was only a two position thing rather than the thumbscrew on the
    Avids.

    If it's a project bike, try getting some older levers from Bicycle Recycle.

    --
    Dave Hughes | [email hidden]
    "Some drink from the Fountain of Knowledge... Others just gargle."
    - Dave Aronson

    I want to use road calipers (its a road frame) rather than mountainbike
    levers.

    Want to make a singlespeed shop/pub bike.

  4. PiledHigher said:

    I want to use road calipers (its a road frame) rather than mountainbike
    levers.

    By this I assume you want to use a standard dual pivot road caliper, as
    opposed to a V-brake or cantilever brake. The levers are the bits you
    pull. Road calipers, IIRC, are roughly equivalent in leverage to an older
    cantilever brake. The newer V brakes have a higher mechanical advantage,
    and therefore need to pull a lot more cable to get a decent clearance at
    the rim.

    Sheldon suggests that Canti levers have a ratio of about 3.5:1, roadie
    levers about 4:1, and V-brake levers about 2:1. Since you want to use
    roadie calipers, you should get Canti levers, or something that'll serve
    both purposes, like the Avid Speed Dials. Current V brake levers will give
    you a very firm feeling brake without much power.

    --
    Dave Hughes | [email hidden]
    "Forty-two" - Deep Thought

  5. "PiledHigher" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Random Data said:
    PiledHigher said:

    I know we've done this before but what are the prefrred brands/models
    of brake levers for road calipers to suit flat bars (for another fixie
    project)?

    IIRC (big if!) you're after something to suit a cantilever brake rather
    than a V-brake. The Vs pull more cable. Some, like the Avid SD range,
    have
    adjustable leverage. I've even seen cheap Tektro levers with this
    feature,
    though it was only a two position thing rather than the thumbscrew on the
    Avids.

    If it's a project bike, try getting some older levers from Bicycle
    Recycle.

    --
    Dave Hughes | [email hidden]
    "Some drink from the Fountain of Knowledge... Others just gargle."
    - Dave Aronson

    I want to use road calipers (its a road frame) rather than mountainbike
    levers.

    Want to make a singlespeed shop/pub bike.


    I'm in that boat as well. 105 caliper and flat(ish) bars on a fixie.

  6. PiledHigher said:

    what are the prefrred brands/models of brake levers for road
    calipers to suit flat bars (for another fixie project)?

    I use Dia-compe time trial levers on my fixed wheel, in the ends of time trial bullhorn bars. They might work okay in the ends of flat bars too, but bullhorns are cooler 🙂

    Cheers,

    Suzy

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.