Road Cycling · Public discussion

Boss Doesn't Want Me to Cycle

Started by Elisa Francesca Roselli · · Last activity · 46 posts · 1,035 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
11 June 2004
Last activity
21 June 2004
Original author
Elisa Francesca Roselli
Posts
46
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,035
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 46
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Last Tuesday, I went to a meeting with some colleagues at the
    Headquarters of the firm where I usually work in the Training Center.
    The HQ is in a place about 10 kms from the Training Center, and very
    inaccessible by public transport. The way there involves the first 8 km
    practically all gently downhill, then a brutal ascent up a very steep,
    windey forest road, then a rather bumpy dirt path. On the way back, the
    topology is reversed - steeply downhill at the beginning and then an
    upward faux plat all the way home.

    I had tried the route by bike three times last summer and had got the
    trip out in about an hour and a half. On Tuesday, I tried a different
    route for the first time, got lost once, had to stop at every traffic
    light to figure out the continuation, and took 2 hours 30 minutes to
    cover the trip out of 9.56 km. On the way back, I walked almost the
    whole distance, because even if and where it would have been easier to
    cycle, I was too tired to trust my judgement on the road. Even though
    her steering was fixed a few weeks ago, Behemoth is still rather wobbly
    in low gears and at slow speeds, especially as fully loaded with company
    documents and water bottles she aproaches 30 kgs, so I felt safer
    pushing her along the sidewalk. Besides which those low speeds put
    terrible pressures on my wrists and I didn't want them to go into spasm
    again. As the temperatures were also well above 30 Celsius I was going
    slow and drinking water frequently. The trip back took less time than
    the trip out (yes, I do walk faster than I cycle), giving me a round
    trip of 4 hours 30 minutes for a total 19.01 km, with 3 km per hour my
    most frequent going rate. My heart monitor, which I took with me,
    revealed that I was over my aerobic zone, in threshold or redline, for
    about half of that time, and within it for the remaining half with no
    time under. The monitor also showed that my max heart rate of 168 was
    attained on the trip.

    I did the trip out mainly within my lunch break and the trip back after
    hours. I fully understand that 4 and a half hours to cover 19 km could
    not be integrated cost-effectively into a work routine.

    However, I know the trip out could be a lot faster once I learn the
    "script" for the route. I believe it could be managed in about 1 hour 10
    minutes, allowing a half-hour to ascend the hill at the end on foot
    (where my heart rate tends to max out). The same journey by bus has
    taken me 1 hour 10 minutes so the time is comparable, and the bike
    offers much more freedom than the bus which only runs a few times a day.

    But my supervisor is insisting that I am "not safe on the bike" and that
    in future I must take a taxi for this trip, which might install itself
    as something I need to do every Tuesday. I REFUSE! Meetings with the
    Documenation team and closer liaisons with HQ have come about on my own
    initiative entirely and one of my big reasons for doing this was to get
    the opportunity to train up to bike commuting on the journey. If I have
    to use stinky petrol to go, there isn't even a point ot it.

    The cab trip would cost about 20 Euros one way and I would have to go
    through a big rigmarole to claim it on the company. I would also be
    stranded out there with no way to get back (except on foot) unless I
    could persuade the company to disburse a further 20 Euros to get me home
    or beg a ride from a colleague (and be entirely dependent on other
    people's routes and schedules). Not only this is majorly inconvenient
    but I can see eyebrows being raised about the expense and myself being
    targetted as an unnecessarily costly employee at a time of company
    cut-backs (I am the only Carfree person in the company but the French
    have even less understanding of Carfreedom than they do of
    Childfreedom). Alternatively, the bosses will try to force my colleagues
    to give me lifts but the colleagues will resent it and I will have to
    deal with their bad temper. My impression is that my supervisor dislikes
    my rapprochement with HQ and is trying to punish me by playing up
    transport difficulties and creating issues where there aren't any. I
    also particularly resent the way these motorist [censored] go on about my
    "safety". Yes, I am terrified of road traffic which is why I spend so
    much time on sidewalks. But whereas early death by road is a
    possibility, early death by heart disease and diabetes is a near
    certainty for me if I retain the sedentary lifestyle of the IT geek.

    So it looks like I have some civil disobedience on the way. I WILL NOT
    TAKE THAT CAB!.

    EFR
    Carfree By Choice in Ile de France

  2. Some advice: don't talk about stuff at work that you don't need to discuss.

    Why does your boss have reason to fear for your safety? While I can't be
    sure, it sounds potentially like a situation you created. I've seen similar
    (not biking related) things happen before that were the result of too much
    info given at work.

    Still, I hope you work it out.

    Elisa Francesca Roselli wrote:
    :: Last Tuesday, I went to a meeting with some colleagues at the
    :: Headquarters of the firm where I usually work in the Training Center.
    :: The HQ is in a place about 10 kms from the Training Center, and very
    :: inaccessible by public transport. The way there involves the first 8
    :: km practically all gently downhill, then a brutal ascent up a very
    :: steep, windey forest road, then a rather bumpy dirt path. On the way
    :: back, the topology is reversed - steeply downhill at the beginning
    :: and then an upward faux plat all the way home.
    ::
    :: I had tried the route by bike three times last summer and had got the
    :: trip out in about an hour and a half. On Tuesday, I tried a different
    :: route for the first time, got lost once, had to stop at every traffic
    :: light to figure out the continuation, and took 2 hours 30 minutes to
    :: cover the trip out of 9.56 km. On the way back, I walked almost the
    :: whole distance, because even if and where it would have been easier
    :: to cycle, I was too tired to trust my judgement on the road. Even
    :: though her steering was fixed a few weeks ago, Behemoth is still
    :: rather wobbly in low gears and at slow speeds, especially as fully
    :: loaded with company documents and water bottles she aproaches 30
    :: kgs, so I felt safer pushing her along the sidewalk. Besides which
    :: those low speeds put terrible pressures on my wrists and I didn't
    :: want them to go into spasm again. As the temperatures were also well
    :: above 30 Celsius I was going slow and drinking water frequently. The
    :: trip back took less time than the trip out (yes, I do walk faster
    :: than I cycle), giving me a round trip of 4 hours 30 minutes for a
    :: total 19.01 km, with 3 km per hour my most frequent going rate. My
    :: heart monitor, which I took with me, revealed that I was over my
    :: aerobic zone, in threshold or redline, for about half of that time,
    :: and within it for the remaining half with no time under. The monitor
    :: also showed that my max heart rate of 168 was attained on the trip.
    ::
    :: I did the trip out mainly within my lunch break and the trip back
    :: after hours. I fully understand that 4 and a half hours to cover 19
    :: km could not be integrated cost-effectively into a work routine.
    ::
    :: However, I know the trip out could be a lot faster once I learn the
    :: "script" for the route. I believe it could be managed in about 1
    :: hour 10 minutes, allowing a half-hour to ascend the hill at the end
    :: on foot (where my heart rate tends to max out). The same journey by
    :: bus has taken me 1 hour 10 minutes so the time is comparable, and
    :: the bike offers much more freedom than the bus which only runs a few
    :: times a day.
    ::
    :: But my supervisor is insisting that I am "not safe on the bike" and
    :: that in future I must take a taxi for this trip, which might install
    :: itself as something I need to do every Tuesday. I REFUSE! Meetings
    :: with the Documenation team and closer liaisons with HQ have come
    :: about on my own initiative entirely and one of my big reasons for
    :: doing this was to get the opportunity to train up to bike commuting
    :: on the journey. If I have to use stinky petrol to go, there isn't
    :: even a point ot it.
    ::
    :: The cab trip would cost about 20 Euros one way and I would have to go
    :: through a big rigmarole to claim it on the company. I would also be
    :: stranded out there with no way to get back (except on foot) unless I
    :: could persuade the company to disburse a further 20 Euros to get me
    :: home or beg a ride from a colleague (and be entirely dependent on
    :: other people's routes and schedules). Not only this is majorly
    :: inconvenient but I can see eyebrows being raised about the expense
    :: and myself being targetted as an unnecessarily costly employee at a
    :: time of company cut-backs (I am the only Carfree person in the
    :: company but the French have even less understanding of Carfreedom
    :: than they do of Childfreedom). Alternatively, the bosses will try to
    :: force my colleagues to give me lifts but the colleagues will resent
    :: it and I will have to deal with their bad temper. My impression is
    :: that my supervisor dislikes my rapprochement with HQ and is trying
    :: to punish me by playing up transport difficulties and creating
    :: issues where there aren't any. I also particularly resent the way
    :: these motorist [censored] go on about my "safety". Yes, I am terrified
    :: of road traffic which is why I spend so much time on sidewalks. But
    :: whereas early death by road is a possibility, early death by heart
    :: disease and diabetes is a near certainty for me if I retain the
    :: sedentary lifestyle of the IT geek.
    ::
    :: So it looks like I have some civil disobedience on the way. I WILL
    :: NOT TAKE THAT CAB!.
    ::
    :: EFR
    :: Carfree By Choice in Ile de France

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    ....

    Quoted message said:

    So it looks like I have some civil disobedience on the way. I WILL NOT
    TAKE THAT CAB!.

    EFR
    Carfree By Choice in Ile de France

    Well said! I hope you can come to a reasonable conclusion.

    --
    Remove the ns_ from if replying by e-mail (but keep posts in the
    newsgroups if possible).

  4. On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 13:46:27 +0200 someone who may be Elisa
    Francesca Roselli <[email hidden]>
    wrote this:-

    Quoted message said:

    But my supervisor is insisting that I am "not safe on the bike"

    Does your supervisor have a religious view that it is not safe to
    ride a bike, or are they amenable to reason?

    Quoted message said:

    I
    also particularly resent the way these motorist [censored] go on about my
    "safety".

    "Safety" is often trotted out when the real reason is different.

    Quoted message said:

    Yes, I am terrified of road traffic which is why I spend so
    much time on sidewalks.

    There are ways of cycling that remove much of the terror for many
    people.

    Quoted message said:

    But whereas early death by road is a
    possibility, early death by heart disease and diabetes is a near
    certainty for me if I retain the sedentary lifestyle of the IT geek.

    Phrased differently this might be a good argument to use.

    --
    David Hansen, Edinburgh | PGP email preferred-key number F566DA0E
    I will always explain revoked keys, unless the UK government
    prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.

  5. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    ....

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    But whereas early death by road is a
    possibility, early death by heart disease and diabetes is a near
    certainty for me if I retain the sedentary lifestyle of the IT geek.

    Phrased differently this might be a good argument to use.

    Or even with the same phrasing (just translated into French, of course).

    --
    Remove the ns_ from if replying by e-mail (but keep posts in the
    newsgroups if possible).

  6. On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 09:21:21 -0400 someone who may be David Kerber
    <ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net> wrote this:-

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    ...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    But whereas early death by road is a
    possibility, early death by heart disease and diabetes is a near
    certainty for me if I retain the sedentary lifestyle of the IT geek.

    Phrased differently this might be a good argument to use.

    Or even with the same phrasing (just translated into French, of course).

    I would end the sentence with, "if I have a sedentary lifestyle."

    --
    David Hansen, Edinburgh | PGP email preferred-key number F566DA0E
    I will always explain revoked keys, unless the UK government
    prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.

  7. Roger Zoul said:

    Some advice: don't talk about stuff at work that you don't need to discuss.

    A motto that has seen me well in life; "it's easier to ask forgiveness
    then to ask permission". Following this line means you avoid the
    corporate kneejerk "No" to any unusual request.

    Quoted message said:

    Why does your boss have reason to fear for your safety? While I can't be
    sure, it sounds potentially like a situation you created. I've seen similar
    (not biking related) things happen before that were the result of too much
    info given at work.

    Still, I hope you work it out.

  8. On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 13:46:27 +0200, Elisa Francesca Roselli
    <[email hidden]> wrote (more or less):
    ....

    Quoted message said:

    my supervisor is insisting that I am "not safe on the bike" and that
    in future I must take a taxi for this trip, ...

    This should be a refutable statement. If you can find no stats
    specific to France, ther eare stats available showing what exposure to
    var=ious forms of traffic lead to an expectation of fatality for the
    UK.

    Cycling is, perhaps counter-intuitively to your boss, safer than other
    forms.

    Can someone else point Elisa to a place where the stats are
    published?

    --
    Cheers,
    Euan
    Gawnsoft: http://www.gawnsoft.co.sr
    Symbian/Epoc wiki: http://html.dnsalias.net:1122
    Smalltalk links (harvested from comp.lang.smalltalk) http://html.dnsalias.net/gawnsoft/smalltalk

  9. Not Responding said:

    A motto that has seen me well in life; "it's easier to ask forgiveness
    then to ask permission".

    hmmmm. See
    http://www.dilbert.com/comics/dilbert/archive/dilbert-20040531.html

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
    net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  10. David Hansen wrote:
    :: On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 13:46:27 +0200 someone who may be Elisa
    :: Francesca Roselli <[email hidden]>
    :: wrote this:-
    ::
    ::: But my supervisor is insisting that I am "not safe on the bike"
    ::
    :: Does your supervisor have a religious view that it is not safe to
    :: ride a bike, or are they amenable to reason?
    ::
    ::: I
    ::: also particularly resent the way these motorist [censored] go on
    ::: about my "safety".
    ::
    :: "Safety" is often trotted out when the real reason is different.
    ::
    ::: Yes, I am terrified of road traffic which is why I spend so
    ::: much time on sidewalks.
    ::
    :: There are ways of cycling that remove much of the terror for many
    :: people.
    ::
    ::: But whereas early death by road is a
    ::: possibility, early death by heart disease and diabetes is a near
    ::: certainty for me if I retain the sedentary lifestyle of the IT geek.
    ::
    :: Phrased differently this might be a good argument to use.

    I wish....the problem is that Elisa is doing this for work, and if there is
    a preception (no matter where it came from) that cycling along a given route
    is unsafe, then the employer must act in both the best interest of the
    employee and the company. One can easily argument that one can address a
    sedentary lifestyle outside of work hours. Of course, bossman can't stop
    her from riding durning lunch or to/fro work. But bossman might have
    something to say about riding during work hours.

  11. Elisa Francesca Roselli said:

    Meetings with the
    Documenation team and closer liaisons with HQ have come about on my own
    initiative entirely and one of my big reasons for doing this was to get
    the opportunity to train up to bike commuting on the journey. If I have
    to use stinky petrol to go, there isn't even a point ot it.

    I may be an avid cyclist, but I'm also a former executive with a
    Fortune 500 company. The above says it all. Seems to me the only point
    of the meetings is to give you an opportunity to get in some cycling.
    If that's the case cancel the meeting! You should have no expectation
    that your company will pay for time spent on your bike.

    jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

  12. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    my supervisor is insisting that I am "not safe on the bike" and that
    in future I must take a taxi for this trip, ...

    This should be a refutable statement. If you can find no stats
    specific to France, ther eare stats available showing what exposure to
    var=ious forms of traffic lead to an expectation of fatality for the
    UK.

    Cycling is, perhaps counter-intuitively to your boss, safer than other
    forms.

    Can someone else point Elisa to a place where the stats are
    published?

    For the UK:
    http://www.statistics.gov.uk/StatBase/ssdataset.asp?vlnk=7250&Pos=&ColRank=
    1&Rank=272

    short(ish) link to the same thing:
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?D69F13988

    Click on excel option to get nicely formatted table, the general option
    thingy to get ugly, unformatted version.

  13. From your supervisor's point of view, having you with what are
    considered important company documents on a bicycle with an admittantly
    questionable ride in high temperatures is not the safest way to get
    around. Especially when you take the very high (30C?) high temperature
    and low gears into consideration? What if you were to become injured or
    suffer from a heat related trauma?

    If making your living isn't worth making a stand about the cab, I would
    negotiate cab fare compensation with my supervisor. If it is important
    for the company that you make this meeting and take a cab in between for
    health/safety reasons, then the company should willingly and happily pay
    for it.

    I have seen coworkers make stands on the many trivial issues, and some
    have lost jobs (and lifestyle) over it. While their ego may have felt
    justified and satisfied, losing their income and not being able to match
    it with another income even close to the one they gave up, was not worth
    listening to their ego imo. You should really yhink about whether taking
    a cab or not is more important than what you are doing for a living. If
    it is so be it, you can go to sleep with a happy soul.

    Please keep in mind too, that we offer up advice off our cuff at times
    as there is nothing at stake for us in the advice we give. jmho

  14. Elisa Francesca Roselli said:

    The cab trip would cost about 20 Euros one way and I would have to go
    through a big rigmarole to claim it on the company. I would also be
    stranded out there with no way to get back (except on foot) unless I
    could persuade the company to disburse a further 20 Euros to get me home
    or beg a ride from a colleague (and be entirely dependent on other
    people's routes and schedules). Not only this is majorly inconvenient
    but I can see eyebrows being raised about the expense and myself being
    targetted as an unnecessarily costly employee at a time of company
    cut-backs (I am the only Carfree person in the company but the French
    have even less understanding of Carfreedom than they do of
    Childfreedom).

    I'd suggest a sneakier approach than outright refusal. Go ahead and
    take a cab both ways next week. File a reimbursement claim (I assume
    said boss has to sign it, right?). Don't push it, put it in the system
    and let it go.

    If you haven't been reimbursed by the following week, ride your bike,
    because you haven't been reimbursed for last week's cab rides, and
    continue until you get the check. With luck, you'll have a couple of
    safe weeks under your tires before the check comes back, and nobody will
    care any more.

    Pat

  15. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Mark Thompson said:
    Quoted message said:


    Can someone else point Elisa to a place where the stats are
    published?

    For the UK:
    http://www.statistics.gov.uk/StatBase/ssdataset.asp?vlnk=7250&Pos=&ColRank=
    1&Rank=272

    short(ish) link to the same thing:
    http://makeashorterlink.com/?D69F13988

    Click on excel option to get nicely formatted table, the general option
    thingy to get ugly, unformatted version.

    Not much stat in France (we are not that transparent:-).
    www.fubicy.org has some I guess.
    Another source on European documentation is
    http://www.lesberries.co.uk/cycling/cycling.html
    look for Wardlaw's paper which explain that French cyclists are 2.5 ou
    3.5 safer than motorists.

    Besides, so long as you're not late at your meeting, your boss has
    nothing to say about the way you get there.

    Jean-Pierre

  16. Elisa Francesca Roselli said:

    Last Tuesday, I went to a meeting with some colleagues at the
    Headquarters of the firm where I usually work in the Training Center.
    The HQ is in a place about 10 kms from the Training Center, and very
    inaccessible by public transport. The way there involves the first 8
    km practically all gently downhill, then a brutal ascent up a very
    steep, windey forest road, then a rather bumpy dirt path. On the way
    back, the topology is reversed - steeply downhill at the beginning
    and then an upward faux plat all the way home.


    ....

    Quoted message said:

    EFR
    Carfree By Choice in Ile de France

    Where is your work located and where is your meeting? Maybe Those of us who
    bike in the area can suggest an optimal route.

  17. Quoted message said:

    I wish....the problem is that Elisa is doing this for work, and if there


    is

    Quoted message said:

    a preception (no matter where it came from) that cycling along a given


    route

    Quoted message said:

    is unsafe, then the employer must act in both the best interest of the
    employee and the company. One can easily argument that one can address a
    sedentary lifestyle outside of work hours. Of course, bossman can't stop
    her from riding durning lunch or to/fro work. But bossman might have
    something to say about riding during work hours.

    Worse, bossman may have either a contrived or real concern regarding the
    reliability of Elisa's chosen method of transportation. There could also be
    a concern on the part of bossman regarding whatever the French equivalent of
    worker's compensation is, given that Elisa has spoken of "terrible pressure
    on my wrists and I don't want them to go into spasm again." And then
    there's the simple practicality of this particular trip by bike, given that
    the bike, loaded down, weighs over 60 pounds. That's a lot to handle,
    either riding or pushing, and it's apparent that Elisa isn't yet up to
    Lance's caliber of riding.

    Finally, as far as safety is concerned, it's not always going to be the case
    that a given cyclist can safely navigate a given route. Could be that Elisa
    has no choice but to use roads that are quite hostile to cyclists in
    general, and require a degree of skill & strength that isn't possessed.

    I hate to sound like I'm negative towards an attempt to use cycling in one's
    daily life, but there may be issues here that go beyond the norm.

    By the way, if Elisa would be interested in posting the beginning & end
    points of the route, I'd possibly be able to check it out late July, when
    I'll be spending some time in Paris. Heck, my daughter will even have a
    video camera... we could film a documentary! Just kidding... but I am
    curious.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

  18. "Elisa Francesca Roselli" <[email hidden]>
    wrote

    Quoted message said:


    But my supervisor is insisting that I am "not safe on the bike" and that
    in future I must take a taxi for this trip, which might install itself
    as something I need to do every Tuesday. I REFUSE! Meetings with the
    Documenation team and closer liaisons with HQ have come about on my own
    initiative entirely and one of my big reasons for doing this was to get
    the opportunity to train up to bike commuting on the journey. If I have
    to use stinky petrol to go, there isn't even a point ot it.

    The cab trip would cost about 20 Euros one way and I would have to go
    through a big rigmarole to claim it on the company. I would also be
    stranded out there with no way to get back (except on foot) unless I
    could persuade the company to disburse a further 20 Euros to get me home
    or beg a ride from a colleague (and be entirely dependent on other
    people's routes and schedules). Not only this is majorly inconvenient
    but I can see eyebrows being raised about the expense and myself being
    targetted as an unnecessarily costly employee at a time of company
    cut-backs (I am the only Carfree person in the company but the French
    have even less understanding of Carfreedom than they do of
    Childfreedom). Alternatively, the bosses will try to force my colleagues
    to give me lifts but the colleagues will resent it and I will have to
    deal with their bad temper. My impression is that my supervisor dislikes
    my rapprochement with HQ and is trying to punish me by playing up
    transport difficulties and creating issues where there aren't any. I
    also particularly resent the way these motorist [censored] go on about my
    "safety". Yes, I am terrified of road traffic which is why I spend so
    much time on sidewalks. But whereas early death by road is a
    possibility, early death by heart disease and diabetes is a near
    certainty for me if I retain the sedentary lifestyle of the IT geek.

    So it looks like I have some civil disobedience on the way. I WILL NOT
    TAKE THAT CAB!.

    EFR
    Carfree By Choice in Ile de France

    Your boss has a few concerns, some justified, some not.

    Safety aspect - typical in the non-riding populace.
    Time aspect - If this is during the workday, he may have a semi-valid
    concern about the time thing. If it takes you 2+ hours round trip by bike,
    thats 2+ hours out of your workday, just to get back and forth to a meeting.
    How long does it take by car (cab)?
    "If the other people can get there in 20 minutes, why can't you?"

    Is there more than one than one person going from your HQ to the Training
    center and back at the same time? If so, then carpool, every time! Not just
    you, everyone! This week, Marie drives, next week Pierre drives, the week
    after that, Marta drives...
    Organize the rotation, push it as cheaper and more comfortable for the
    individual employee, get the bosses support if you can (...in the interest
    of time and efficiency, blah, blah, blah...).

    Being car-free does not have to mean never, ever using motor transport. Just
    be judicious in how it is used. And "civil disobedience" is not always good
    when it's your boss. Choose your battles. Using work time for bike training
    is usually not a good battle.

    Pete

  19. Quoted message said:

    slow and drinking water frequently. The trip back took less time than
    the trip out (yes, I do walk faster than I cycle), giving me a round
    trip of 4 hours 30 minutes for a total 19.01 km, with 3 km per hour my
    most frequent going rate. My heart monitor, which I took with me,

    While I fully agree that you should be able to use your transportation
    method of choice so long as you aren't billing the company for the
    time it takes to do so - why not walk if you can walk faster than you
    cycle? (assuming there's space to do so the whole way) And if you do
    walk faster than you cycle, maybe you could find some cyclist training
    somewhere near where you are, because it actually seems to me to be
    quite quite difficult to ride at 3km/h. Its almost certainly to cause
    a lot of knee pain to go at that speed. Even to go at a still quite
    leisurely pace of 15 km/h (with the exception of the steep uphill)
    you'll save yourself tons of time!!

    I'm also sure your co-workers should have no problem taking you along
    if they are going over at the same time, and although it may feel
    against your principles, they are going to take their car there anyway
    so might as well fill the space in it.

    But yeah, someone telling me I can't cycle because its not safe would
    be enough to make me really angry at them.


  20. Quoted message said:

    But yeah, someone telling me I can't cycle because its not safe would
    be enough to make me really angry at them.

    paternalistic.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.