Road Cycling · Public discussion

Bontrager portable battery-powered pump

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 7 posts · 698 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
15 December 2007
Last activity
19 December 2007
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
698
Views / 30 days
15

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. One of my local bike shops has a brand new product. This is a
    Bontrager portable battery-powered pump with a "smart head" that will
    do both presta and schrader. The cost is about $70.

    They claim that it will also do car tires.

    This product is so new I cannot find out anything about it on the web
    including the Bontrager site. Has anyone actually tried one of
    these? If so how about reporting your results?

    thanks,

    HMB

  2. Quoted message said:

    One of my local bike shops has a brand new product. This is a
    Bontrager portable battery-powered pump with a "smart head" that will
    do both presta and schrader. The cost is about $70.

    They claim that it will also do car tires.

    This product is so new I cannot find out anything about it on the web
    including the Bontrager site. Has anyone actually tried one of
    these? If so how about reporting your results?

    thanks,

    HMB

    Can you post something off the package, such as the inventory number,
    or anything? If you didn't buy it, maybe you could call the store, or
    check when you visit next time.

    I'd be a -little- concerned at using an automatic pump on a bicycle
    tire that is -also- (apparently) rated for car tires, but this
    probably has safety checks to prevent over-inflation.

    Any idea how big it is, or how much it weighs? Probably too big to put
    in a back pack, eh? :-)

    Very intriguing!

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,

    EasyCompany said:
    Quoted message said:

    One of my local bike shops has a brand new product. This is a
    Bontrager portable battery-powered pump with a "smart head" that will
    do both presta and schrader. The cost is about $70.

    They claim that it will also do car tires.

    This product is so new I cannot find out anything about it on the web
    including the Bontrager site. Has anyone actually tried one of
    these? If so how about reporting your results?

    thanks,

    HMB

    Can you post something off the package, such as the inventory number,
    or anything? If you didn't buy it, maybe you could call the store, or
    check when you visit next time.

    I'd be a -little- concerned at using an automatic pump on a bicycle
    tire that is -also- (apparently) rated for car tires, but this
    probably has safety checks to prevent over-inflation.

    Considering it's battery powered, I'd excpect doing
    car tires would be a struggle for it -- more so
    than the portable car tire pumps which plug into
    the [vestigal] cigarette lighter.

    Quoted message said:


    Any idea how big it is, or how much it weighs? Probably too big to put
    in a back pack, eh? :-)

    Very intriguing!

    To paraphrase Tom McCahill: "Simplicity means reliability."
    The more complex the mechanism, the greater likelihood
    of malfunctions. When you really need a pump you don't
    want malfunctions.

    A simple frame pump has very much in its favour.

    I've even had probs with those double-action mini MTB pumps.
    A simple cylinder & piston with an interface on one end for
    the user and another interface on the other end for the
    inner tube valve so elegantly does the trick.

    But this particular gizmo just might be Da Bomb for e-bikes,
    which are already encumbered with an electric power source.

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    Nothing is safe from me.
    I'm really at:
    tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

  4. On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 16:43:04 -0800, [email hidden]
    (Tom Keats) wrote , in part, of battery powered pumps:
    \

    Quoted message said:


    But this particular gizmo just might be Da Bomb for e-bikes,
    which are already encumbered with an electric power source.

    CoolI

    After you've pumped up your flat it's easier to pedal/paddle home
    because you drained your battery.
    --
    zk

  5. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Zoot Katz said:

    On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 16:43:04 -0800, [email hidden]
    (Tom Keats) wrote , in part, of battery powered pumps:
    \

    Quoted message said:


    But this particular gizmo just might be Da Bomb for e-bikes,
    which are already encumbered with an electric power source.

    CoolI

    After you've pumped up your flat it's easier to pedal/paddle home
    because you drained your battery.

    Maybe after it's jettisoned.

    I've been looking at e-bikes (at Green World Electric
    Vehicles) and I must confess that I'm tempted.

    It would be preferable to being squished between
    two large guys in the back seat of a Mazda 323 on
    the way to work.

    After a shift of hand-bombing cheap junk from China
    off marine containers from The Port, getting up the
    South Hill can be very daunting. Heck, getting up
    No 6 Rd or Jacombs Road to Bridgeport and over the
    Knight Road bridge can be very daunting.
    Especially at this time of year.

    Well, Jacombs Road is actually a piece o' cake,
    and a nice ride. Even though it does align one
    onto the wrong side of the bridge if northbound.
    I kinda like going over that li'l overpass over
    the East-West Connector.

    Nelson Road southbound off Westminster Hwy is
    very [censored], thanx to all the truck traffic.
    Better to deke down No 8 Road -> Blundell ->
    walk/carry it across the train tracks -> cut
    through a parking lot or two. There's a gap
    in somebody's shrubbery to allow that.

    The lighter the bike, the easier it is to
    negotiate that route.

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    Nothing is safe from me.
    I'm really at:
    tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

  6. seems to me that a battery powered pmp would add unwanted weight to
    most bikes.

  7. On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 05:22:59 -0800, [email hidden] (Tom

    Keats) said:
    Quoted message said:

    After you've pumped up your flat it's easier to pedal/paddle home
    because you drained your battery.

    Maybe after it's jettisoned.

    I've been looking at e-bikes (at Green World Electric
    Vehicles) and I must confess that I'm tempted.


    I spent some time Saturday looking at them through the window.
    The $500 sale price for a ready to roll electric bicycle looks good
    to a person first contemplating utility cycling, especially after
    they've looked at some of the fancy European city-bikes.
    I didn't check the specifications but I'd not be surprised if the
    overall performance disappointments new users. I think it's just a
    new breed of BSO; BBSO (buzz-bike shaped object).

    Were I too take the plunge, I'd go up the street to Renaissance
    Bicycle Company. <www.ebikes.ca/> and get one custom configured.
    They're equipped to make a 48 hole hub motor for cargo duty. They're
    also a bunch of brainiac geeks full of youthful enthusiasm and bright
    ideas. GWEV looksto me like a "lifestyle accessory" shop.

    Quoted message said:

    It would be preferable to being squished between
    two large guys in the back seat of a Mazda 323 on
    the way to work.


    Tell the guys I appreciate your car-pooling. I know it can sometimes
    be inconvenient and uncomfortable but it sure makes sense. I think
    having co-workers in the car puts the driver on better behaviour.

    Quoted message said:

    After a shift of hand-bombing cheap junk from China
    off marine containers from The Port, getting up the
    South Hill can be very daunting.

    Were Argyle St. or Boundary Rd. on my regular routes I'd be
    considering a cocktail of coke, HGH and EPO or going electric.
    Conversely, I was almost blown all the way up Heather St. on Sunday.

    Quoted message said:

    Heck, getting up
    No 6 Rd or Jacombs Road to Bridgeport and over the
    Knight Road bridge can be very daunting.
    Especially at this time of year.

    Well, Jacombs Road is actually a piece o' cake,
    and a nice ride. Even though it does align one
    onto the wrong side of the bridge if northbound.
    I kinda like going over that li'l overpass over
    the East-West Connector.

    Nelson Road southbound off Westminster Hwy is
    very [censored], thanx to all the truck traffic.
    Better to deke down No 8 Road -> Blundell ->
    walk/carry it across the train tracks -> cut
    through a parking lot or two. There's a gap
    in somebody's shrubbery to allow that.

    The lighter the bike, the easier it is to
    negotiate that route.

    I always used to take the single-track and portage route over to Glen
    St. from Home Despot on Terminal Ave. I've not been that way lately
    so there may be an actual path and rail crossing through there now.
    It's all these secret by-ways and restricted passages that helps make
    cycling the best way to get around a city.
    --
    zk

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.