Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Bontrager handlebars? Opinions & How do you measure the width?

Started by Chance3290 · · Last activity · 6 posts · 4,498 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
6 June 2005
Last activity
7 June 2005
Original author
Chance3290
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
4,498
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I just got a TREK 5000 and after a hundred miles, I think the handlebars are a bit too narrow for me. I'm not sure if I should swap them out with a set of Ritcheys that I have on another bike.
    What method do you use to measure bontragers bars?

  2. Chance3290 said:

    I just got a TREK 5000 and after a hundred miles, I think the handlebars are a bit too narrow for me. I'm not sure if I should swap them out with a set of Ritcheys that I have on another bike.
    What method do you use to measure bontragers bars?

    I know that most US manufacturers measure from center to center, while Italian companies measure outside-outside. I also found that some bars flare at the drops but are narrower at the brake hoods (where I spend about 95% of the time). Personally I like the shape of the Ritchey's. They are nice and wide at the hoods and the ergo shape of the drops fits my hands very well when I'm in them. The rule of thumb is that the bars should be as wide as your shoulders measured right at the bone in the front. Too narrow and it restricts breathing and can make the bike less stable as well. I actually go with a bar that's a little narrower than recommended for me because I like being a little less of a sail in a head wind (I ride alond a windy coastline). My point though, is to try them first and don't worry too much about the size that's avertised.

  3. Does anyone who where Bontrager handlebars are marked with their size?

  4. Chance3290 said:

    I just got a TREK 5000 and after a hundred miles, I think the handlebars are a bit too narrow for me. I'm not sure if I should swap them out with a set of Ritcheys that I have on another bike.
    What method do you use to measure bontragers bars?

    A Tape measure ?

    sorry , bad joke
    Theory says : the width of your shoulders ( line of joint to line of joint - don´t try it yourself , it´s impossible unaided ) but most people find it more comfortable to go 2cm bigger - it´ll give you better control and few people out side of the pro ranks are fast enough to tell any difference aerodynamically ; and they´d probably need a wind tunnel to prove it .

    Get a friend to measure the distance between your hands on one bike then the other - it may just be that the shape does not suit you , I changed from a Ritchey to a Deda as I wanted a non anatomic type shallow Italian bend and the book says the same width but the Deda feels narrower , it isn´t but it feels it ( Ritchey road bars are made in Italy incidently , small world sometimes ) 😕

  5. Chance3290 said:


    What method do you use to measure bontragers bars?


    Bontrager lists them as center-to center.

  6. Thanks for all the help.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.