Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Bolts vs. QR: which has more torque grip?

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 6 posts · 559 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
31 August 2005
Last activity
1 September 2005
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
559
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Anyone using a QR on a fixed gear/track bike/single speed with
    horizontal ends? Any problems with such a setup as far as slippage?
    I believe I remember Sheldon's site claiming that QR's provide either
    as-good or better clamping power as bolts.
    Let's assume that the QR's are standard (not cam-type), steel, of good
    quality (Shimano or Campy), and are properly tightened. Lets also
    assume that the rider is powerful... how about Jan Ullrich?
    Most of the 20th century would suggest that QR's should work fine....

    /s

  2. A shy person asked:

    Quoted message said:

    Anyone using a QR on a fixed gear/track bike/single speed with
    horizontal ends?

    Yes, tens of thousands of people do this.

    Quoted message said:

    Any problems with such a setup as far as slippage?

    Slippage problems occur with QRs, bolts or nuts if they are not properly
    tightened.

    Quoted message said:

    I believe I remember Sheldon's site claiming that QR's provide either
    as-good or better clamping power as bolts.
    Let's assume that the QR's are standard (not cam-type),

    Huh? All standard QRs are cam type. The twist-on skewers are a joke
    for use with horizontal ends, no way those would work.

    See: http://sheldonbrown.com/qr

    Quoted message said:

    steel, of good
    quality (Shimano or Campy), and are properly tightened. Lets also
    assume that the rider is powerful... how about Jan Ullrich?
    Most of the 20th century would suggest that QR's should work fine....

    It's not actually so important how "powerful" the rider is, more
    important is how _heavy_ the rider is.

    In addition, the smaller the chainring in front, the greater the tug on
    the chain. This is why SS mountain bikes have more trouble with this
    than road or track fixies do.

    The nature of the frame end material also enters into it. Chrome plated
    or titanium frames tend to be slipperier than plain painted steel or
    aluminum.

    Sheldon "Is That A Wrench In Your Pocket...?" Brown
    +------------------------------------------+
    | There was a young lady named Bright |
    | Whose speed was far faster than light; |
    | She set out one day |
    | In a relative way |
    | And returned on the previous night. |
    | -- A.H.R. Buller |
    +------------------------------------------+
    Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

  3. Sheldon mentioned in an off-hand fashion:

    Quoted message said:

    Chrome plated or titanium frames tend to be slipperier than plain painted steel or
    aluminum.

    If I have an issue I have managed to trace to the slipperiness of my
    6/4 ti dropouts, i.e., slight motion of the hub in the dropout during
    application of my 15 stone to the pedals, what can I do about it
    besides tightening QR's?

    I am already tightening them about as much as I can.

    Thanks,

    App

  4. The Great Swami said:

    A shy person asked:

    Quoted message said:

    Anyone using a QR on a fixed gear/track bike/single speed with
    horizontal ends?

    Yes, tens of thousands of people do this.

    I was referring to group members, if anyone had personal experiences.

    Quoted message said:

    From reading your site I know that you have a number of bikes set up


    this way without much trouble....

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Any problems with such a setup as far as slippage?

    Slippage problems occur with QRs, bolts or nuts if they are not properly
    tightened.

    Quoted message said:

    I believe I remember Sheldon's site claiming that QR's provide either
    as-good or better clamping power as bolts.
    Let's assume that the QR's are standard (not cam-type),

    Huh? All standard QRs are cam type. The twist-on skewers are a joke
    for use with horizontal ends, no way those would work.

    See: http://sheldonbrown.com/qr

    Yeah, sorry for the imprecision. By 'standard' I meant an enclosed cam
    QR. By 'bolts' I mean track nuts.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    steel, of good
    quality (Shimano or Campy), and are properly tightened. Lets also
    assume that the rider is powerful... how about Jan Ullrich?
    Most of the 20th century would suggest that QR's should work fine....

    It's not actually so important how "powerful" the rider is, more
    important is how _heavy_ the rider is.

    Okay, well, I'm 212lbs, putting together an mtb SS for racing and/or
    very agressive riding (I'm an ex-BMXer). I'll probably be using a
    standard 2x1 ratio. I'm thinking that if I blow a rear tire, I can save
    a bit of time with a QR. (And besides, who wants to carry a wrench?)
    Thing is, I've never seen ANY SS bikes with horizontal drops using a
    QR. I don't know if this is popular misconception, or what?

    Quoted message said:

    In addition, the smaller the chainring in front, the greater the tug on
    the chain. This is why SS mountain bikes have more trouble with this
    than road or track fixies do.

    Yeah, I would think that loaded tourers with triple chainrings and
    climbing cogs would be the ultimate test as slippage goes....

    Quoted message said:

    The nature of the frame end material also enters into it. Chrome plated
    or titanium frames tend to be slipperier than plain painted steel or
    aluminum.

    Is 6/4 'harder' than painted steel? I have a track bike with chrome
    ends and the axle has stayed put....

    Quoted message said:


    Sheldon "Is That A Wrench In Your Pocket...?" Brown
    +------------------------------------------+
    | There was a young lady named Bright |
    | Whose speed was far faster than light; |
    | She set out one day |
    | In a relative way |
    | And returned on the previous night. |
    | -- A.H.R. Buller |
    +------------------------------------------+
    Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

  5. I have both a fixed gear road bike and a single speed 'utility' bike
    with 'quick release' skewers.

    The reason I set these bikes up this way was for the obviously quick
    and easy wheel removal that they allow. However, I made 'Tug Nuts' for
    both machines.

    Not only do these make chain tensioning easier, they also eliminate the
    possibility of slippage.

    I am not _sure_ that I need them but I decided that it would be better
    to have them than to get out in the dark, in the rain and find out that
    I 'wished' that I had them. :-)

    Lewis.

    **********

  6. A shy person asked:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    Anyone using a QR on a fixed gear/track bike/single speed with
    horizontal ends?
    Any problems with such a setup as far as slippage?

    Slippage problems occur with QRs, bolts or nuts if they are not properly
    tightened... Lets also

    Quoted message said:

    assume that the rider is powerful... how about Jan Ullrich?
    Most of the 20th century would suggest that QR's should work fine....

    I wrote, in part:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    It's not actually so important how "powerful" the rider is, more
    important is how _heavy_ the rider is.

    Okay, well, I'm 212lbs, putting together an mtb SS for racing and/or
    very agressive riding (I'm an ex-BMXer). I'll probably be using a
    standard 2x1 ratio.

    Actually, the ratio has nothing to do with it, but chainring size does.

    22/11 and 44/22 are both 2:1 ratios, but the pull on the chain is twice
    as strong with the 22/11.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the smaller the chainring in front, the greater the tug on
    the chain. This is why SS mountain bikes have more trouble with this
    than road or track fixies do.

    Yeah, I would think that loaded tourers with triple chainrings and
    climbing cogs would be the ultimate test as slippage goes....


    That's true, but you rarely see such bikes with horizontal dropouts anymore.

    If you do use a nutted hub, it is very important to lubricate the axle
    threads and the interface where the nut presses against the washer.

    For extreme cases, you can use two nuts on the right side, if you axle
    is long enough. I ran my fixed gear tandem this way before I switched
    to a Phil Wood track hub.

    Sheldon "Torque Doesn't Enter Into It" Brown
    +----------------------------------------------------------+
    | When I was in school, I cheated on my metaphysics exam: |
    | I looked into the soul of the boy sitting next to me. |
    | --Woody Allen |
    +----------------------------------------------------------+
    Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.