General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

body suits

Started by Fred S. · · Last activity · 62 posts · 4,688 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
8 April 2004
Last activity
1 May 2004
Original author
Fred S.
Posts
62
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
4,688
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–60 of 62
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Duncan Heenan said:

    Martin, Since you appear to be unable to read what is
    written, this dialogue is at an end.

    ok, Dunc, but before you go, what is your actual opinion of
    coaching as a profession, because I've had three swimming
    coaches and one basketball coach who were hugely important
    in my life as mentors, teachers, and leaders, and you
    apparently had some very bad coaches, so I can't understand
    your statement that coaching isn't a valid profession,
    unless you were joking about that.

    martin

  2. "diablo" <[email hidden]> a écrit dans le message de
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Olivier" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    If you want to lure kids in swimming by promising them
    that they will


    get

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    "visibility", "exposure", money, or fame, I think you
    are plainly wrong.

    who said anything about promising them these things?
    certainly not me. do you think swimming would ever have
    gotten onto all the cable news channels recently if Speedo
    hadn't just released it's FSII? what do you think looks
    better on televised races? swimmers in high-tech racing
    suits or speedo breifs? go take a look at your local
    sports store and see the variety of equipment that other
    sports have. these are all little things that make
    competitive swimming neat to the outsider, rather than a
    sport that hasn't changed its appearence in about
    oooohhh.....50 years.

    Kids don't swim because they see it on TV. There is
    virtually no swimming on TV! I never saw a kid swim because
    of the FSII. Kids swim because because parents influence
    (force?) them to do so. And parents should influence their
    kids to train with the best possible sport: swimming
    (reasons previously mentionned). And I don't want my
    swimming kids to ask me for a FSII !

    -- Olivier

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:


    "Bill Geiser" <wpgeiser(no.spam)@sbcglobal.net> wrote in
    message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Duncan Heenan"
    <[email hidden]> wrote in


    message

    Quoted message said:

    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Swimming is a leisutre activity, not a business. It
    does not need to be 'viable'. That is the language of
    greedy capitalism, not simple


    pleasure.

    Quoted message said:


    "The language of greedy capitalism?" That's stretching
    things just a bit, don't you think?

    While the viability of the sport may not be important to
    you.......it is


    to

    Quoted message said:

    others. There are many people who depend of the
    'viability' of the sport


    to

    Quoted message said:

    provide a basic income....note - I'm not talking about a
    huge income - I'm talking about earning enough to keep a
    roof over your head and pay the utility bills.

    The average swim coach in the US is far from wealthy -
    most likely he/she needs to find a second job just to
    pay the bills. I can't speak for


    coaches

    Quoted message said:

    from other nations, but I doubt they are making much
    more. These people


    who

    Quoted message said:

    coached me in my youth....and the youth of
    today.....depend on a steady stream of new swimmers to
    join and stay with the sport.

    I seem to recall you've been involved in swimming the
    channel.....if so,


    did

    Quoted message said:

    the guy who drove the boat while you were taking a
    leisurely swim do it


    for

    Quoted message said:

    free? How forked over the cash to pay for his time? The
    gas? How about all the other people in involved? As I
    said - it might be a leisure activity


    for

    Quoted message said:

    you - for others it isn't.

    So, next time you want to take your high and mighty
    stance regarding


    "greedy

    Quoted message said:

    capitalism" as it pertains to swimming.....you might
    want to keep this in mind.

    I paid for my channel swims out of my own earnings from a
    proper job. The pilot was a fisherman, earning a bit
    extra. Turning swimming in to a profession is like turning
    walking or breathing in to a profession. It's not a proper
    job. I can't expect professionals to agree, for obvious
    financial reasons, but they should know that there are

    Just to satisfy my own curiosity, is there any coach
    position in any coach that you would consider 'proper?' And
    if it's not too personal, and again, for my own edification
    (to better understand your point,) what is your job?

    - Al

  4. I can't make it any simpler than i already have Olivier...

    its about *exposure* through *any medium* ...the FSII hubbub
    was an *example*...

    "Olivier" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "diablo" <[email hidden]> a écrit dans le message de -"]news:[email hidden]-
    kc.rr.com...

    Quoted message said:


    "Olivier" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    If you want to lure kids in swimming by promising them
    that they will


    get

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    "visibility", "exposure", money, or fame, I think you
    are plainly


    wrong.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    who said anything about promising them these things?
    certainly not me.


    do

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    you think swimming would ever have gotten onto all the
    cable news


    channels

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    recently if Speedo hadn't just released it's FSII? what
    do you think


    looks

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    better on televised races? swimmers in high-tech racing
    suits or speedo breifs? go take a look at your local
    sports store and see the variety of equipment that other
    sports have. these are all little things that make
    competitive swimming neat to the outsider, rather than a
    sport that


    hasn't

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    changed its appearence in about oooohhh.....50 years.

    Kids don't swim because they see it on TV. There is
    virtually no swimming


    on

    Quoted message said:

    TV! I never saw a kid swim because of the FSII. Kids swim
    because because parents influence (force?) them to do so.
    And parents should influence their kids to train with the
    best possible sport: swimming (reasons previously
    mentionned). And I don't want my swimming kids to ask me
    for a FSII !

    -- Olivier

  5. "Al" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:MPG.1ae857c5a864ae0898978b@mayonews...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    snip<

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    So, next time you want to take your high and mighty
    stance regarding "greedy

    Quoted message said:

    capitalism" as it pertains to swimming.....you might
    want to keep this


    in

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    mind.

    I paid for my channel swims out of my own earnings from
    a proper job.


    The

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    pilot was a fisherman, earning a bit extra. Turning
    swimming in to a profession is like turning walking or
    breathing


    in

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    to a profession. It's not a proper job. I can't expect
    professionals to agree, for obvious financial reasons,
    but they should know that there


    are

    Quoted message said:


    Just to satisfy my own curiosity, is there any coach
    position in any coach that you would consider 'proper?'

    Possibly, but I haven't met one.

    And if it's not too personal,

    Quoted message said:

    and again, for my own edification (to better understand
    your point,) what is your job?

    I am now retired, but I spent my working life as an
    accountant then in general management in the Aluminium
    industry mostly.

    Now 2 questions for you; Why does that affect the argument?
    What is your job?

  6. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:


    "Olivier" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    If you want to lure kids in swimming by promising them
    that they will get "visibility", "exposure", money, or
    fame, I think you are plainly wrong.

    who said anything about promising them these things?
    certainly not me. do you think swimming would ever have
    gotten onto all the cable news channels recently if Speedo
    hadn't just released it's FSII? what do you think looks
    better on televised races? swimmers in high-tech racing
    suits or speedo breifs? go take a look at your local
    sports store and see the variety of equipment that other
    sports have. these are all little things that make
    competitive swimming neat to the outsider, rather than a
    sport that hasn't changed its appearence in about
    oooohhh.....50 years.

    I think I mostly agree with your concept that more
    visibility is generally better for the sport, but for the
    life of me I can't imagine somebody making a distinction
    between body suits and briefs that would likely impact TV
    sponsorship/coverage/interest. I guess a Madison Avenue ad
    analyst could cook up something along those lines (and
    maybe, sadly, that's what matters) - but it certainly would
    never have occured to me. Personally I think the body suits
    look horrific, but admittedly, that's just because of my
    conventional (briefs) background. If I were competing today
    I wouldn't hesitate to try one if I thought it might make a
    difference in my performance.

    - Al

  7. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:


    "Al" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:MPG.1ae857c5a864ae0898978b@mayonews...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    snip<

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    So, next time you want to take your high and mighty
    stance regarding
    "greedy
    > capitalism" as it pertains to swimming.....you might
    > want to keep this


    in

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > mind.

    I paid for my channel swims out of my own earnings
    from a proper job.


    The

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    pilot was a fisherman, earning a bit extra. Turning
    swimming in to a profession is like turning walking or
    breathing


    in

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    to a profession. It's not a proper job. I can't expect
    professionals to agree, for obvious financial reasons,
    but they should know that there


    are

    Quoted message said:


    Just to satisfy my own curiosity, is there any coach
    position in any coach that you would consider 'proper?'

    Possibly, but I haven't met one.

    And if it's not too personal,

    Quoted message said:

    and again, for my own edification (to better understand
    your point,) what is your job?

    I am now retired, but I spent my working life as an
    accountant then in general management in the Aluminium
    industry mostly.

    Now 2 questions for you; Why does that affect the
    argument? What is your job?

    Thanks. I wanted to know your job so I could get a better
    idea of what would fall in the "proper" category as you
    understand it - on the assumption that you would consider
    your own (former)job proper, which I'm sure you do.

    So along those lines, how do you distinguish between
    accounting and coaching swimming? Swimming coaches are
    indeed extraneous for folks that have no interest in
    swimming more efficiently, but are a viable option for
    people that enjoy swimming more by swimming more efficiently
    and don't have the wherewithal to implement stroke
    improvements on their own. The same can be said for
    accounting I would think - for people that seek to run a
    company more efficiently, an accountant is an option
    - but then again, I would assume that people at large
    generally have access to all the same books as accountants
    and might prefer to struggle along with the accounting on
    their own (probably to their detriment.) But that doesn't
    make the accounting profession any less proper. So I might
    have missed your point about coaches - let me know if
    that's the case.

    As for my job, well, that's too personal :-). I was (in this
    order) a lifeguard, a courtroom artist, a B-52 Navigator,
    and finally a computer programmer. In hindsight, some of
    those occupations were more proper than others :-).

    I do believe that generally there are far too many folks
    riding on the coat tails of athletes, particularly in the
    Olympics - but I don't regard coaches as being among them.

    Thanks for sharing your info, and congrats on your
    retirement!

    - Al

  8. Al said:

    Personally I think the body suits look horrific,

    Just wait 'til they have "Granola" and "Gatorade" plastered
    all over them.

    Donal Fagan AIA Donal@DonalO'Fagan.com (Anglicise the name
    to reply by e-mail)

  9. Sorry for my english...
    M. Heenan Like in everything, there is good and bad coaches.
    But the difference in your situation is the message that
    you receive always seems to be negative. One can
    questionned. I don't feel the way you describe coaches.
    As a coach, I certainly do mistakes, but the only ones
    who don't do mistakes are the ones who do nothing. And i
    know what is Vo2max... I coach about winning, as well
    achieve a 25meter underwater, as well a first provincial
    standard, as well the first time a kid put his face in
    the water. There is something great about winning and
    coming back home with this little smile on your face that
    turn your day in a dream come true. I just don't agree
    with your comment, it'snot funny, and please, for the
    future, there is a way to write publicly. Martin Cléroult

    "Duncan Heenan" <[email hidden]> a
    écrit dans le message de news:407846f7_1@mk-nntp-
    2.news.uk.tiscali.com...

    Quoted message said:


    "Bill Geiser" <wpgeiser(no.spam)@sbcglobal.net> wrote in
    message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Duncan Heenan"
    <[email hidden]> wrote in


    message

    Quoted message said:

    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Turning swimming in to a profession is like turning
    walking or


    breathing

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    in

    Quoted message said:

    to a profession. It's not a proper job. I can't expect
    professionals


    to

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    agree, for obvious financial reasons, but they should
    know that there


    are

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    plenty of amateurs like me who view them mostly as
    hangers on, and


    largely

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    unnecessary.

    So, based on your statement above - being a professional
    swim instructor &/or swim coach is not considered to be
    a 'proper job'.....you must be kidding!

    If not, who died and left you King?

    Perhaps you'd be so kind as to list those jobs you do
    consider 'proper'


    so

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the rest of us can do some much-needed career
    planning........


    A real job is one which has intrinsic value. In my view
    teaching swimming does, coaching does not. Here are some
    thoughts based on my experience of coaches

    When I was small, I used to think that a coach (used in
    England to also


    mean

    Quoted message said:

    'bus', for US readers) was a large thing with four wheels
    which was


    smelly

    Quoted message said:

    and belched out smoke, took you all over the country, cost
    a lot and made you sick. Since I have grown up (in body at
    least), I realise I was wrong about the four wheels. I
    know full well that it is probably a career termination
    move to take a swipe at coaches in their own journal, but
    having been their victim for so many years, and with so
    little to show for it, I just can't resist it.


    First

    Quoted message said:

    let's define our terms. A teacher is someone who takes a
    non-swimmer and convinces them that they can swim, whereas
    a coach is someone who takes a swimmer and convinces them
    that they can't.

    I am of course properly qualified to comment on coaches,
    having never been one. You may think this strange logic,
    but it is every bit as logical as


    the

    Quoted message said:

    convention which seems to debar coaches from ever
    swimming. Unfair accusation? Well, when did you last see
    your coach in the water? There are


    a

    Quoted message said:

    few exceptions of course, like the coach I once had who
    had competed in 3 Olympics and even had a bronze medal to
    show for it - but I call that showing off. No. Mostly,
    coaches plead that they have no time to swim themselves,
    thereby avoiding ever being rumbled as non-swimmers. The
    magic words 'do what I say, not what I do' maintains their
    authority in the face of any swimmer who may question it.
    Take it from me, coaches can't swim.


    The

    Quoted message said:

    ones who will write to Swimming Times incandescent with
    'letter rage', are of course rare exceptions to this
    otherwise universal truth. [applies


    also

    Quoted message said:

    to those who post on this group].

    Viewing these authority figures goose-stepping about on
    the poolside from the water, the poor swimmer is on a
    psychological hiding to nothing. They tower over you and
    make you feel like a primary school kid again. This
    particular form of intimidation only works however if they
    dress for the part. I recall the loss of dignity to one
    lady coach who, on her way to a barn dance, turned up in a
    skirt, only to have her undies thoroughly appraised by the
    below-foot-level swimmers. Perhaps that's why they're so
    wedded to their track suits. There is no logic to wearing
    a track suit - none of them ever goes near a track- but
    they mostly do, don't they? Especially when travelling,
    the track suit is the uniform which lifts them above
    normal mortals. I suppose too, they think it looks racy
    and hints at


    a

    Quoted message said:

    prowess that they are too modest to disclose.

    To call all coaches closet Nazis would be unfair. I heard
    of one who


    wasn't

    Quoted message said:

    ( - he was thrown out of the Nazi party for cruelty).
    However, the power which accompanies the job has to be one
    of their main turn-ons. As well as enabling them always to
    nick the front seat in the bus on the way to


    galas,

    Quoted message said:

    this can easily lead to a sadism second only to that of a
    Parking Warden. The setting of exercises is a field day
    for their love of others'


    suffering.

    Quoted message said:

    I once laboured under a coach who was so obsessed with 'throw-
    overs' and 'catch-ups', that we re-named them 'catch-overs
    and throw-ups', with good reason. On one occasion I recall
    the pool had to be cleared because of the after effects of
    this nauseating (sic) exercise. IM's stood for Individual
    Maladies in our club. Also, I wonder if coaches carry on
    shouting when


    they

    Quoted message said:

    get home? It can become a bit embarrassing outside the
    pool, especially


    when

    Quoted message said:

    she shouts across the pub that she didn't recognise you
    with your clothes on. Leastways, I told my wife she was
    the coach.

    To add mystique to this control freaky, many coaches also
    become equipment junkies. These ones think of all sorts of
    extra kit their swimmers should have. We had a coach once
    who had acquired a job lot of heart rate


    monitors

    Quoted message said:

    and insisted we use them. The sensor was supposedly held
    on by a thing resembling a twisted bra. The men, being
    used only to handling bras on the people for whom they
    were designed, could not get the hang of this.
    Consequently the damn things slipped, and most of the men
    were pronounced dead after 400 metres, as the sensors
    could find no pulse in their backsides. My vast belly
    stopped mine slipping, but I was nevertheless condemned
    by the coach for not trying, as my heart rate actually
    slowed as


    I

    Quoted message said:

    started swimming, in recovery from the effort of putting
    on the bra. You could say I got the booby prize.
    Incidentally, the best electronic


    training

    Quoted message said:

    aid I have come across was a simple video camera. At least
    seeing myself


    in

    Quoted message said:

    action gave me some slight sympathy for the hosts of
    coaches who have


    given

    Quoted message said:

    up on me.

    Jargon comes close to equipment in coaches' affection.
    Don't be bamboozled in to thinking they know what it means
    though. Make them explain. Once, overhearing a coach going
    on about a VO2 max, I called for an explanation and was
    told that it was a milder version of VO5 shampoo. The same
    coach told me that aerobic exercise was a warm up done
    with your dressing gown


    on.

    Quoted message said:


    A coach is a professional critic, which explains in part
    why I love them about equally with literary critics and
    haemorrhoids. I shall however


    prove

    Quoted message said:

    with this short article that they can not themselves take
    criticism from swimmers. Now you've heard it I await your
    response. Coaches who write in complaining that I am wrong
    will prove my point. Those who write in


    agreeing

    Quoted message said:

    also prove my point. Those who say nothing allow my
    point to go


    unchallenged

    Quoted message said:

    by their silence. This self justifying argument is based
    on the same logic which allows the coaches always to be
    right about my training. They say


    "do

    Quoted message said:

    what I say,

    Heenan, and you will improve.". I do, and I don't improve.
    So they say


    "you

    Quoted message said:

    didn't do what I said, or else not well enough." See what
    I mean? When did your coach ever say , "oops, sorry! I got
    that wrong."

    Much of the jaundice in my view comes, of course, from
    being a straight cross of those two least of tameable
    breeds - the master swimmer and the open water swimmer.
    Master swimmers have all 'been there, done it' - and


    got

    Quoted message said:

    not only the tee shirt but the truss as well. Once Prime
    Ministers start being younger than you, there's nothing
    much anyone can tell you. We were swimming before Pontius
    Pilate even started his flying lessons, after all. As for
    open water swimmers, we're all a bit weird anyway;
    brainwashed


    from

    Quoted message said:

    the hours of sensory deprivation. We're so practised in
    the masochism necessary for our branch of the sport that
    we need no sadist on the


    poolside

    Quoted message said:

    to help us. At best we will trade insults with some poor
    devil stuck for hours in a rowing boat, with blistered
    hands, freezing cold and dying for


    a

    Quoted message said:

    loo. Add to this already powerful combination of
    delinquency a naturally stroppy nature, and you can see
    why coaches leave me alone nowadays.


    Anyway,

    Quoted message said:

    one thing's for certain I shall never be allowed to become
    a coach if this article ever gets published, so now you
    can all breath a sigh of relief.

    © Duncan HeenanDecember 1998

    Published in Swimming Times December 1999

    I await the wrath of coaches, proving that they have no
    sense of humour (though I think they've already
    demonstrated that).

  10. "Al" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:MPG.1aea0e5be17f56bc98978d@mayonews...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:


    "Al" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:MPG.1ae857c5a864ae0898978b@mayonews...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    snip<

    Quoted message said:

    > So, next time you want to take your high and mighty
    > stance


    regarding

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > "greedy
    > > capitalism" as it pertains to swimming.....you
    > > might want to keep


    this

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    in

    Quoted message said:

    > > mind.
    >
    > I paid for my channel swims out of my own earnings
    > from a proper


    job.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    The

    Quoted message said:

    > pilot was a fisherman, earning a bit extra. Turning
    > swimming in to a profession is like turning walking
    > or


    breathing

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    in

    Quoted message said:

    > to a profession. It's not a proper job. I can't
    > expect professionals


    to

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > agree, for obvious financial reasons, but they
    > should know that


    there

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    are

    Quoted message said:


    Just to satisfy my own curiosity, is there any coach
    position in any coach that you would consider
    'proper?'

    Possibly, but I haven't met one.

    And if it's not too personal,

    Quoted message said:

    and again, for my own edification (to better
    understand your point,) what is your job?

    I am now retired, but I spent my working life as an
    accountant then in general management in the Aluminium
    industry mostly.

    Now 2 questions for you; Why does that affect the
    argument? What is your job?

    Thanks. I wanted to know your job so I could get a better
    idea of what would fall in the "proper" category as you
    understand it - on the assumption that you would consider
    your own (former)job proper, which I'm sure you do.

    Only part of what I did. Part was wage slavery which did not
    increase the sum total of human happiness. But that's
    irreleveant to this debate, as is much of what follows.

    Quoted message said:

    So along those lines, how do you distinguish between
    accounting and coaching swimming? Swimming coaches are
    indeed extraneous for folks that have no interest in
    swimming more efficiently, but are a viable option for
    people that enjoy swimming more by swimming more
    efficiently and don't have the wherewithal to implement
    stroke improvements on their own. The same can be said for
    accounting I would think - for people that seek to run a
    company more efficiently, an accountant is an option
    - but then again, I would assume that people at large
    generally have access to all the same books as
    accountants and might prefer to struggle along with the
    accounting on their own (probably to their detriment.)
    But that doesn't make the accounting profession any less
    proper. So I might have missed your point about coaches
    - let me know if that's the case.

    You have.

    Quoted message said:

    As for my job, well, that's too personal :-).

    But it was OK to ask me, eh? Discussion over.

    I was (in this order) a

    Quoted message said:

    lifeguard, a courtroom artist, a B-52 Navigator, and
    finally a computer programmer. In hindsight, some of those
    occupations were more proper than others :-).

    I do believe that generally there are far too many folks
    riding on the coat tails of athletes, particularly in the
    Olympics - but I don't regard coaches as being among them.

    Thanks for sharing your info, and congrats on your
    retirement!

    - Al

  11. "martin cléroult" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Sorry for my english...
    M. Heenan Like in everything, there is good and bad
    coaches. But the difference in your situation is the
    message that you receive


    always

    Quoted message said:

    seems to be negative. One can questionned. I don't feel
    the way you describe coaches. As a coach, I certainly do
    mistakes, but the only ones who don't do mistakes are
    the ones who do nothing. And i know what is Vo2max... I
    coach about winning, as well achieve a 25meter
    underwater, as well a


    first

    Quoted message said:

    provincial standard, as well the first time a kid put his
    face in the


    water.

    Quoted message said:

    There is something great about winning and coming back
    home with this


    little

    Quoted message said:

    smile on your face that turn your day in a dream come
    true. I just don't agree with your comment, it'snot funny,
    and please, for the future, there is a way to write
    publicly. Martin Cléroult

    Clearly my attempt at irony and humour didn't translate. I
    apologise.

  12. Duncan Heenan said:

    Discussion over.

    Are you going to explain whether you think coaching is a
    legitimate profession or not, and if not, why not?
    ...because you haven't yet.

    martin

  13. Duncan Heenan said:


    "martin cléroult" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Sorry for my english...
    M. Heenan Like in everything, there is good and bad
    coaches. But the difference in your situation is the
    message that you receive


    always

    Quoted message said:

    seems to be negative. One can questionned. I don't feel
    the way you describe coaches. As a coach, I certainly do
    mistakes, but the only ones who don't do mistakes are
    the ones who do nothing. And i know what is Vo2max... I
    coach about winning, as well achieve a 25meter
    underwater, as well a


    first

    Quoted message said:

    provincial standard, as well the first time a kid put his
    face in the


    water.

    Quoted message said:

    There is something great about winning and coming back
    home with this


    little

    Quoted message said:

    smile on your face that turn your day in a dream come
    true. I just don't agree with your comment, it'snot
    funny, and please, for the future, there is a way to
    write publicly. Martin Cléroult

    Clearly my attempt at irony and humour didn't translate. I
    apologise.

    It didn't work in English either.

    martin

  14. In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    As for my job, well, that's too personal :-).

    But it was OK to ask me, eh? Discussion over.

    I would like to think that since I went on to explain
    about the jobs I had that you would realize I wasn't
    serious. Oh well.

    Quoted message said:

    I was (in this order) a

    Quoted message said:

    lifeguard, a courtroom artist, a B-52 Navigator, and
    finally a computer programmer. In hindsight, some of
    those occupations were more proper than others :-).

    I do believe that generally there are far too many
    folks riding on the coat tails of athletes,
    particularly in the Olympics - but I don't regard
    coaches as being among them.

    Thanks for sharing your info, and congrats on your
    retirement!


    - Al

  15. I find these "purity of the sport" arguments very
    entertaining.

    The horrors of society for changing the sport as they see
    fit with no regard for those who dedicate their lives to the
    pursuit... Please spare me the tears.

    I believe your point is a good one - that the fastskin
    suits supposedly reduce the participants own friction and
    because of it should not be compared to previous world
    records. Okay so be it.

    Personally I think there is an inherent understanding that a
    world record is a measurement of the era the record was
    generated - not necessarily the person behind the record.
    Look at how we talk about it. "What is the current world
    record in the 100 butterfly?" It's not "who holds the
    current world record?". When you scan a list of records what
    do you look at. Times and dates. Then maybe the names.

    I find your argument about science hollow. Maybe you mean
    something deeper, but I question your claims that scientist
    would be more socially responsible if they didn't fall
    victim to the evils of hydrodynamic research.

    To be the Devil's advocate, where exactly is the line? I
    mean is nutrition research too much. How about using
    waveless pools? What about using heart rate monitors during
    training? For that matter what about keeping track of your
    hear rate with out a HR monitor?

    Even in your beloved long distance open water events -
    where "just a dab" of ointment to prevent chaffing - what
    if I need two dabs? Would that be okay? No I mean two big
    dabs - one to cover each knee - I get "chaffed" there. What
    if Joan needs to cover her body - to prevent the chaffing -
    will that be okay? Well since you allowing petroleum
    products, can I use something that might be a little
    "slicker"? And does your nose plug attaches to your ear
    plug? Because there is a guy over there who is wearing a
    single nose, ear, eye piece.

    The "high cost" that we all pay - does not exist. I mean I
    can't believe you of all people would ever buy a fastskin
    suit - and there are others who won't either. The advantage
    these suits create are minimal, well potentially huge where
    hundreds of seconds count, but at the local swim club times
    are off by seconds. So yeah, there will be the rich kid on
    the block who has an "unfair" advantage - but the advantage
    will be immeasurable at that level. Will others want to
    emulate him, or their stars? Well yes if there is excitement
    around the sport. If there is no excitement left then the
    sport dies - I mean who watches/plays squash anymore? Seems
    to me that is a much higher price to pay.

    -CF

  16. "Duncan Heenan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "diablo" <[email hidden]> wrote in message -"]news:[email hidden]-
    kc.rr.com...

    Quoted message said:


    "Duncan Heenan"
    <[email hidden]> wrote in


    message

    Quoted message said:

    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Swimming is a leisutre activity, not a business. It
    does not need to be 'viable'. That is the language of
    greedy capitalism, not simple


    pleasure.

    Quoted message said:


    No, Duncan, Swimming *to you* is a leisure activity. To
    others its a sport and a profession.

    Yes, and it is they - the money grubbers - who are
    spoiling it for the many, like me, who just do it because
    we like it.

    How in the world is it being spoiled for you? If you're
    swimming "leisurely" then can buy $10 swim "trunks" and $5
    goggles and wait for the local pond to open up. Or go to
    most "Ys" which typically have water temperature at 82-85
    and only have "lap swimming" for a limited time during the
    day. Your world of swimming and the competitive world of
    swimming don't overlap - ever. So I am sitting here
    dumfounded on how you could possibly have your leisure
    time spoiled.

    -CF

  17. "Duncan Heenan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Dude you're one messed up individual. I've never had a coach
    in all my years of sports - (swimming, running, (American)
    football, basketball, baseball, soccer (football),
    weightlifting, volleyball, and yes, I even have a business
    coach) ever belittle me or make me feel otherwise worthless.

    You are correct. A "teacher" teaches you proper technique. A
    coach is someone with a gift - they have the ability to help
    you find yourself - to reach down get more out of your body,
    mind, soul, than you ever thought possible.

    If you've never experienced a real coach then you truly have
    missed out - and it explains your pent-up hostilities. A
    coach is not a drill sergeant, nor are they a personal
    assistant. They are there to help your mind discover and
    accept what your body is capable of doing.

    All of my coaches have been active in the sports (and
    business) that they coached in, and I wouldn't dream of
    selecting a coach that wasn't.

    By the way. I'm not a coach.

    -CF

  18. In article <3Xaic.16584$S42.13639@lakeread03>,

    ChronoFish said:


    Dude you're one messed up individual. I've never had a
    coach in all my years of sports - (swimming, running,
    (American) football, basketball, baseball, soccer
    (football), weightlifting, volleyball, and yes, I even
    have a business coach) ever belittle me or make me feel
    otherwise worthless.

    Just to jump in for a sec...

    Gee, you've lived a blessed life. I think, in my limited
    experience with high school coaches and PE instructors
    many years ago, that I usually wound up with the drill
    sergeant type.

    I recall one good one, though. The one who made me feel good
    about being on the swim team was the school's band teacher.
    He volunteered to act as the swim coach one year when the
    school didn't have a regular coach. Unfortunately, his
    swimming knowledge wasn't much better than mine. He coached
    with Councilman's book in one hand.

    Ross

  19. "ChronoFish" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:3Xaic.16584$S42.13639@lakeread03...

    Quoted message said:


    "Duncan Heenan" <[email hidden]>
    wrote in


    message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Dude you're one messed up individual. I've never had a
    coach in all my


    years of sports - (swimming, running, (American) football,

    Quoted message said:

    basketball, baseball, soccer (football), weightlifting,
    volleyball, and


    yes, I even have a business coach) ever belittle me or make

    Quoted message said:

    me feel otherwise worthless.

    You are correct. A "teacher" teaches you proper technique.
    A coach is


    someone with a gift - they have the ability to help you find

    Quoted message said:

    yourself - to reach down get more out of your body, mind,
    soul, than you


    ever thought possible.

    Quoted message said:


    If you've never experienced a real coach then you truly
    have missed out -


    and it explains your pent-up hostilities. A coach is not

    Quoted message said:

    a drill sergeant, nor are they a personal assistant. They
    are there to


    help your mind discover and accept what your body is capable

    Quoted message said:

    of doing.

    All of my coaches have been active in the sports (and
    business) that they


    coached in, and I wouldn't dream of selecting a coach that

    Quoted message said:

    wasn't.

    By the way. I'm not a coach.

    -CF

    Of course you don't see through them. You've fallen for the
    Coaches' patter, that's all. It's the American way......

  20. Quoted message said:

    Hm, still no experiences from users. Just a discussion
    about banning them


    or

    Quoted message said:

    not and the use of coaches. Banning suits would be stupid
    in my opinion. Let there be freedom!! Or you should ban
    everythging that isn't available to everybody, like


    books

    Quoted message said:

    on training, supplements, etc.

    Fred

    Well, adding a propeller on your ass is available to
    everyone if someone made it. Should that be ok as well?

    Curt

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.