Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Black Cannondale / Suntour Superbe Pro

Started by Dave Mayer · · Last activity · 14 posts · 879 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
9 July 2005
Last activity
12 July 2005
Original author
Dave Mayer
Posts
14
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
879
Views / 30 days
9

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–14 of 14
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Found but have not yet bought an interesting bike from the late 80's. It is
    a black Cannondale with black-anodized Suntour Superbe Pro components.
    Hubs, derailleurs (with gold accents), crankset and a black Gran Compe
    brakeset. Gold-anodized friction downtube shifters with a 6-speed freewheel
    setup. It all looks really sharp.

    The bike is too big for me, but I'm thinking about possible resale value. I
    have never seen this combination on Ebay. Advice?

  2. Dave Mayer said:

    Found but have not yet bought an interesting bike from the late 80's. It is
    a black Cannondale with black-anodized Suntour Superbe Pro components.
    Hubs, derailleurs (with gold accents), crankset and a black Gran Compe
    brakeset. Gold-anodized friction downtube shifters with a 6-speed freewheel
    setup. It all looks really sharp.

    The bike is too big for me, but I'm thinking about possible resale value. I
    have never seen this combination on Ebay. Advice?

    i think it's worth 5000-USD.

  3. Its called a Black Lightning. I think c-dale offered different versions
    starting from 1987. All the bikes i have seen are equiped with suntour
    sprint & not superbe. C-dale also made a White Lightning that was
    superbe-pro. Search ebay.

  4. Dave Mayer said:

    Found but have not yet bought an interesting bike from the late 80's. It is
    a black Cannondale with black-anodized Suntour Superbe Pro components.
    Hubs, derailleurs (with gold accents), crankset and a black Gran Compe
    brakeset. Gold-anodized friction downtube shifters with a 6-speed freewheel
    setup. It all looks really sharp.

    The bike is too big for me, but I'm thinking about possible resale value. I
    have never seen this combination on Ebay. Advice?

    Quick sea story about a C-dale like this. I was a long time runner, got
    hurt, decided to ride vice run. Went into Ocean Front bikes in Va Bch
    to look. Rode a Cannondale with gold Suntour, really liked it but the
    owner, Stuart Moon said, for comparison, ride this Italian job, Ciocc
    with Campag and tubulars. Rode it, loved it, the rest is history. I
    often wonder what path into the bike biz I would have taken with the
    Cannonball/Suntour stuff/clincher bike.

  5. "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Dave Mayer said:

    Found but have not yet bought an interesting bike from the late 80's. It
    is
    a black Cannondale with black-anodized Suntour Superbe Pro components.
    Hubs, derailleurs (with gold accents), crankset and a black Gran Compe
    brakeset. Gold-anodized friction downtube shifters with a 6-speed
    freewheel
    setup. It all looks really sharp.

    The bike is too big for me, but I'm thinking about possible resale value.
    I
    have never seen this combination on Ebay. Advice?

    Quick sea story about a C-dale like this. I was a long time runner, got
    hurt, decided to ride vice run. Went into Ocean Front bikes in Va Bch
    to look. Rode a Cannondale with gold Suntour, really liked it but the
    owner, Stuart Moon said, for comparison, ride this Italian job, Ciocc
    with Campag and tubulars. Rode it, loved it, the rest is history. I
    often wonder what path into the bike biz I would have taken with the
    Cannonball/Suntour stuff/clincher bike.

    Manager of the bike section at Walmart?

    Or more likely, a pizza parlor in downtown Boulder.

    🙂

    Thank god for that Ciocc, btw. The industry (and the biking world for us
    addicts) would be a poorer place if you were serving pizzas!

    Lee

  6. Qui si parla Campagnolo said:
    Dave Mayer said:

    Found but have not yet bought an interesting bike from the late 80's. It is
    a black Cannondale with black-anodized Suntour Superbe Pro components.
    Hubs, derailleurs (with gold accents), crankset and a black Gran Compe
    brakeset. Gold-anodized friction downtube shifters with a 6-speed freewheel
    setup. It all looks really sharp.

    The bike is too big for me, but I'm thinking about possible resale value. I
    have never seen this combination on Ebay. Advice?

    Quick sea story about a C-dale like this. I was a long time runner, got
    hurt, decided to ride vice run. Went into Ocean Front bikes in Va Bch
    to look. Rode a Cannondale with gold Suntour, really liked it but the
    owner, Stuart Moon said, for comparison, ride this Italian job, Ciocc
    with Campag and tubulars. Rode it, loved it, the rest is history. I
    often wonder what path into the bike biz I would have taken with the
    Cannonball/Suntour stuff/clincher bike.

    Funny - I was shopping for a bike about the same time (1984-5). I
    rode many steel bikes, and couldn't find one that felt right. I ended
    up riding a Cannondale SR-500 (that was the green model with the
    Suntour Sprint derailleurs, but had a Superbe Pro crank), and was
    hooked. I remember looking at the "Black Lightning" (which, AFAICR)
    was equipped with Superbe Pro derailleurs. The funny thing about
    those frames was that they had chunky oval seat stays turned the wrong
    way to the wind (presumably to reduce flex). The tubes looked
    enormous in the mid-80's, but almost svelte by comparison to today's
    big tube aluminum bikes.

    That bike influenced my philosophies on how much flex is too much, as
    is still reflected in the Habanero frames (which aren't as stiff as a
    'dale, but are a lot stiffer than most steel frames).

    Mark Hickey
    Habanero Cycles
    http://www.habcycles.com
    Home of the $695 ti frame

  7. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Lee' lee_AT_SHOES_wheelman_DOT_com said:

    "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:



    snip

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Quick sea story about a C-dale like this. I was a long time runner, got
    hurt, decided to ride vice run. Went into Ocean Front bikes in Va Bch
    to look. Rode a Cannondale with gold Suntour, really liked it but the
    owner, Stuart Moon said, for comparison, ride this Italian job, Ciocc
    with Campag and tubulars. Rode it, loved it, the rest is history. I
    often wonder what path into the bike biz I would have taken with the
    Cannonball/Suntour stuff/clincher bike.

    Manager of the bike section at Walmart?

    Or more likely, a pizza parlor in downtown Boulder.

    🙂

    Thank god for that Ciocc, btw. The industry (and the biking world for us
    addicts) would be a poorer place if you were serving pizzas!

    Lee

    Here! Here!

    Had he taken the first bike, Peter would have known better than to have
    gone into the bike business.

    How does Admiral Chisholm sound....??

    HAND

  8. "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:


    I often wonder what path into the

    Quoted message said:

    bike biz I would have taken with the Cannonball/Suntour
    stuff/clincher bike.

    The dark side.

  9. I bought a first generation Cannondale frame as a quick replacement for
    a broken custom steel frame and rode that for a year or two until I
    broke the derailleur hanger in a mishap. I got the Black Lightning
    frame as a free replacement. I rode that bike hard for 17 or 18 years
    until it developed a huge crack in the downtube. That was a great
    bike. It was stiff but not anymore boneshaking than my old SP racing
    frame, and it lasted a good long time, especially considering the $200
    or so initial investment. -- Jay Beattie.

  10. Hey Dave:

    Sports Junkies in Port Moody?

    I might go take a look at the bike this week (a friend told me about
    it), so let me know if you snap it up.

    -JJ

    Dave Mayer said:

    Found but have not yet bought an interesting bike from the late 80's. It is
    a black Cannondale with black-anodized Suntour Superbe Pro components.
    Hubs, derailleurs (with gold accents), crankset and a black Gran Compe
    brakeset. Gold-anodized friction downtube shifters with a 6-speed freewheel
    setup. It all looks really sharp.

    The bike is too big for me, but I'm thinking about possible resale value. I
    have never seen this combination on Ebay. Advice?

  11. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:

    Hey Dave:

    Sports Junkies in Port Moody?

    Damn! They're on to us!

    Quoted message said:

    I might go take a look at the bike this week (a friend told me about
    it), so let me know if you snap it up.

    -JJ

    Not like I want more roadies there snapping up the good stuff, but
    sigh... their Boxing Day sale is excellent.

    Quoted message said:
    Dave Mayer said:

    Found but have not yet bought an interesting bike from the late 80's. It is
    a black Cannondale with black-anodized Suntour Superbe Pro components.
    Hubs, derailleurs (with gold accents), crankset and a black Gran Compe
    brakeset. Gold-anodized friction downtube shifters with a 6-speed freewheel
    setup. It all looks really sharp.

    --
    Ryan Cousineau [email hidden] http://www.wiredcola.com/
    "I don't want kids who are thinking about going into mathematics
    to think that they have to take drugs to succeed." -Paul Erdos

  12. H M Leary said:


    Here! Here!

    Had he taken the first bike, Peter would have known better than to have
    gone into the bike business.

    How does Admiral Chisholm sound....??

    HAND

    No...I was an 'operator' and not a diplomat when in the USN. When I
    stopped flying, I stopped having any interest in staying in the USN.
    Never good at playing the game.

  13. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Qui si parla Campagnolo said:
    H M Leary said:


    Here! Here!

    Had he taken the first bike, Peter would have known better than to have
    gone into the bike business.

    How does Admiral Chisholm sound....??

    HAND

    No...I was an 'operator' and not a diplomat when in the USN. When I
    stopped flying, I stopped having any interest in staying in the USN.
    Never good at playing the game.

    ET TU, Brutus?

    Had I stayed in the AF I would have been rifted.

    I didn't go into the bike business cause I didn't have any money to lose.
    I am also a charter member of The Royal Order of the Klutz!

    HAND
    Going riding

  14. Jesse: all I want is the wheels on this. In return, I would provide a good
    replacement set of wheels and some cash to seal the deal.

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hey Dave:

    Sports Junkies in Port Moody?

    I might go take a look at the bike this week (a friend told me about
    it), so let me know if you snap it up.

    -JJ

    Dave Mayer said:

    Found but have not yet bought an interesting bike from the late 80's. It
    is
    a black Cannondale with black-anodized Suntour Superbe Pro components.
    Hubs, derailleurs (with gold accents), crankset and a black Gran Compe
    brakeset. Gold-anodized friction downtube shifters with a 6-speed
    freewheel
    setup. It all looks really sharp.

    The bike is too big for me, but I'm thinking about possible resale value.
    I
    have never seen this combination on Ebay. Advice?


Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.