Carlton is especially interested in doctors who want to sign.
Thanks for the link, Guy - signed up as soon as I read it (Perfectly happy with my own lid, but not the idea of compulsory lids for all). Also put my title down as Dr., which I'm allowed to do [1] - wonder if that'll add any weight?
David E. Belcher
[1] Not the medical variety, though (PhD, Chemistry)!
: [1] Not the medical variety, though (PhD, Chemistry)!
I'm sure he was looking for medical doctors somehow...
-- Arthur Clune PGP/GPG Key: http://www.clune.org/pubkey.txt "Blogs are neither necessary nor sufficient for evil to triumph. They're just what we call an enabling technology" - Danny O'Brien
-- Arthur Clune PGP/GPG Key: http://www.clune.org/pubkey.txt "Blogs are neither necessary nor sufficient for evil to triumph. They're just what we call an enabling technology" - Danny O'Brien
Carlton is especially interested in doctors who want to sign.
Thanks for the link, Guy - signed up as soon as I read it (Perfectly happy with my own lid, but not the idea of compulsory lids for all). Also put my title down as Dr., which I'm allowed to do [1] - wonder if that'll add any weight?
David E. Belcher
[1] Not the medical variety, though (PhD, Chemistry)!
I'm number 388. Plain Mr. Maybe I'm a surgeon.
-- Dave...
Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain
Ugh. No space for comments. And a choice of two positions (of which I could accept the second but wouldn't choose it); no "Other" option.
OK, bikebiz, if you're listening I'd love to sign. But with a supplementary question for the BMA. And a note that I recently rejoined the CTC in support of their position and in reaction to Martlew's comments about them.
Ugh. No space for comments. And a choice of two positions (of which I could accept the second but wouldn't choose it); no "Other" option.
OK, bikebiz, if you're listening I'd love to sign. But with a supplementary question for the BMA. And a note that I recently rejoined the CTC in support of their position and in reaction to Martlew's comments about them.
It's a petition. Having two positions is a bit radical as it is - it's not really a vote. And you don't do comments in petitions. If you broadly agree with it, sign. If you want to add more, write to the BMA as an individual.
"Arthur Clune" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...
Quoted message said:
David E. Belcher <[email hidden]> wrote:
: [1] Not the medical variety, though (PhD, Chemistry)!
I'm sure he was looking for medical doctors somehow...
Oh well, worth a try, I guess. Mind you, it's surprising how much weight the title does carry sometimes - I got a fawning letter of apology from Barclays the other week, plus a 30 quid refund (which was nice), after a [censored] they made with my bank account.
On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 23:01:51 +0000, [email hidden] (Nick Kew)
Quoted message said:
OK, bikebiz, if you're listening I'd love to sign. But with a supplementary question for the BMA. And a note that I recently rejoined the CTC in support of their position and in reaction to Martlew's comments about them.
email the editor - carlton at bikebiz dot co dot uk
"Arthur Clune" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...
Quoted message said:
David E. Belcher <[email hidden]> wrote:
: [1] Not the medical variety, though (PhD, Chemistry)!
I'm sure he was looking for medical doctors somehow...
Oh well, worth a try, I guess. Mind you, it's surprising how much weight the title does carry sometimes - I got a fawning letter of apology from Barclays the other week, plus a 30 quid refund (which was nice), after a [censored] they made with my bank account.
The trouble is I don't really like using the title as a matter of course, but in a fit of enthusiasm shortly after geting my doctorate I filled in my title as "Dr." on a couple of forms - and now that it's escaped into the wild I can't seem to stop people from so addressing me...
On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 09:34:13 GMT, Paul Rudin <[email hidden]> wrote:
[of Dr]
Quoted message said:
The trouble is I don't really like using the title as a matter of course, but in a fit of enthusiasm shortly after geting my doctorate I filled in my title as "Dr." on a couple of forms - and now that it's escaped into the wild I can't seem to stop people from so addressing me...
I'm not a Dr, I'm an unsubmitted PhD (for what that's worth.) As I work in academia I tend to be surrounded by doctors and the assumption is that I am one too---I am working as a postdoc after all!---so Dr Blackburn has escaped into the wild too despite my best efforts to prevent it.
I'm not a Dr, I'm an unsubmitted PhD (for what that's worth.)
Submitted a half-hearted effort that was quite rightly thrown back as needing more work, decided I'm not a great researcher and abandoned it in favour of a job.
Quoted message said:
As I work in academia I tend to be surrounded by doctors and the assumption is that I am one too---I am working as a postdoc after all!---so Dr Blackburn has escaped into the wild too despite my best efforts to prevent it.
A bit like the nonexistent Dr. Clinch, though I work in technical services rather than as a postdoc. Being in a medical school I have MDs as well as PhDs about the place.
Pete. -- Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email hidden] http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/
On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 09:34:13 GMT, Paul Rudin <[email hidden]> wrote:
Quoted message said:
[of Dr]
Quoted message said:
The trouble is I don't really like using the title as a matter of course, but in a fit of enthusiasm shortly after geting my doctorate I filled in my title as "Dr." on a couple of forms - and now that it's escaped into the wild I can't seem to stop people from so addressing me...
Quoted message said:
I'm not a Dr, I'm an unsubmitted PhD (for what that's worth.) As I work in academia I tend to be surrounded by doctors and the assumption is that I am one too---I am working as a postdoc after all!---so Dr Blackburn has escaped into the wild too despite my best efforts to prevent it.
I am a Dr but have restarted life as an undergraduate. Not the right place to show off the title I thought, so I just entered Ms on the form. However, some record combining by central university services later I am now stuck with the title in the system...
It's a petition. Having two positions is a bit radical as it is - it's not really a vote. And you don't do comments in petitions. If you broadly agree with it, sign.
Yeah, all right. Have done.
Quoted message said:
If you want to add more, write to the BMA as an individual.
Haven't done. Probably won't be arsed, but it's still possible.
Carlton is especially interested in doctors who want to sign.
I am distressed that there is no option for titles such as "Sir", "Lord", "The Right Honourable"...
--
Dave Larrington - http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/ World Domination? Just find a world that's into that kind of thing, then chain to the floor and walk up and down on it in high heels. (Mr. Sunshine)
Carlton is especially interested in doctors who want to sign.
Thanks for the link, Guy - signed up as soon as I read it (Perfectly happy with my own lid, but not the idea of compulsory lids for all). Also put my title down as Dr., which I'm allowed to do [1] - wonder if that'll add any weight?
David E. Belcher
[1] Not the medical variety, though (PhD, Chemistry)!
I'm number 388. Plain Mr. Maybe I'm a surgeon.
Wow! I was number 8. It's been doing good business overnight!