Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Bike seat question

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 77 posts · 1,689 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
7 November 2007
Last activity
18 November 2007
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
77
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,689
Views / 30 days
27

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 61–77 of 77
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Tim McNamara said:
    Quoted message said:

    In my experience, saddle/shorts complaints are often a symptom of
    riding position difficulties.

    Quoted message said:

    In my experience as well. Poor saddle adjustment as well as other
    position problems account for a lot of discomfort wrongly blamed on
    the saddle.

    Poor riding positions are most commonly found with beginners, riders
    who have no long term mileage that would develop tougher skin in the
    appropriate areas of contact with the saddle. Put these two together
    and you get chafing raspberries on the pressure points. I am not
    convinced that position comes first in this problem.

    Jobst Brandt

  2. Michael Press said:


    Bicycling is not supposed to be comfortable.
    Ride until you are worn out, then rest.

    So why the padded shorts then? Why all the different-shaped and widths
    of saddles? Or does that comfort not count?
    ~

  3. Quoted message said:


    Poor riding positions are most commonly found with beginners, riders
    who have no long term mileage that would develop tougher skin in the
    appropriate areas of contact with the saddle. Put these two together
    and you get chafing raspberries on the pressure points. I am not
    convinced that position comes first in this problem.

    Jobst Brandt

    I don't want tough skin on my ass, and won't do anything that requires it.
    -------
    I tend to suspect that a lot of "getting used to a saddle" is low-level
    nerve damage, rather like how boxers get used to minor concussions. Just
    because "it hurt at first but doesn't anymore" doesn't mean something
    good happened.
    ~

  4. On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 05:27:15 -0600, DougC <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Poor riding positions are most commonly found with beginners, riders
    who have no long term mileage that would develop tougher skin in the
    appropriate areas of contact with the saddle. Put these two together
    and you get chafing raspberries on the pressure points. I am not
    convinced that position comes first in this problem.

    Jobst Brandt

    I don't want tough skin on my ass, and won't do anything that requires it.
    -------
    I tend to suspect that a lot of "getting used to a saddle" is low-level
    nerve damage, rather like how boxers get used to minor concussions. Just
    because "it hurt at first but doesn't anymore" doesn't mean something
    good happened.
    ~


    If you were to check the skin condition of any rider who rides more
    than a few hours a week I would bet you would find calloused or
    toughened up skin where the saddle hits or rubs. You do not find a
    carpenter who uses a hammer all day that does not have calloused
    hands. You do not find a walking person who does not have thicker skin
    on the bottom of their feet. If you find a person who walks barefoot
    all the time outside they may have even thicker skin than a person who
    walks in shoes the same amount.

  5. Can we assume that you are talking about perineum pressure? If so, I had
    that problem recently on my indoor training (stationary) bike. I was doing
    fine until I thought it would be a good idea to put the front wheel up on
    one of those plastic risers. That changed the position of the saddle
    relative to my torso position, of course, which then placed enormous
    pressure on that sensitive "nerve." My pecker went numb in just 15 minutes
    of pedaling (I stupidly continued for the full hour) and normal sensation
    took alarmingly long to return. I don't mind reporting that this experience
    worried me! Truthfully, I didn't realize at first that the riser was the
    cause, so I started researching to find a more forgiving saddle. A lot of
    people were very complimentary of the Specialized Toupe saddle for this
    particular symptom, so I bought one. The final combined solution was
    twofold: (1) saddle with better body geometry (excellent!) and (2) removal
    of the plastic riser allowing the front tire to rest on the floor.

    I haven't experienced any "pressure" problems on my road bike which has a
    Fizik Arione saddle (approx. 5 degree forward tilt).

    Ken Bour

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Can anyone out there recommend a "dual platform" seat?

    My bikes have the traditional narrow seat and I'm experiencing the
    typical nerve damage and pain to the point where I can't ride
    anymore. I have a "road bike" and a "hybrid" touring bike.

    Greatly appreciate a reply to [email hidden].

    Thanking you in advance,

    Trent

  6. Jim Behning said:

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 05:27:15 -0600, DougC <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Poor riding positions are most commonly found with beginners, riders
    who have no long term mileage that would develop tougher skin in the
    appropriate areas of contact with the saddle. Put these two together
    and you get chafing raspberries on the pressure points. I am not
    convinced that position comes first in this problem.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Jobst Brandt

    Quoted message said:

    I don't want tough skin on my ass, and won't do anything that requires it.
    -------
    I tend to suspect that a lot of "getting used to a saddle" is low-level
    nerve damage, rather like how boxers get used to minor concussions. Just
    because "it hurt at first but doesn't anymore" doesn't mean something
    good happened.
    ~

    If you were to check the skin condition of any rider who rides more
    than a few hours a week I would bet you would find calloused or
    toughened up skin where the saddle hits or rubs. You do not find a
    carpenter who uses a hammer all day that does not have calloused
    hands. You do not find a walking person who does not have thicker skin
    on the bottom of their feet. If you find a person who walks barefoot
    all the time outside they may have even thicker skin than a person who
    walks in shoes the same amount.

    I have been using diaper rash ointment on my butt for quite a while
    now (only when I ride). I put a liberal amount of that stuff on my
    biking shorts and I can go for several hours with absolutely no
    discomfort. I buy big cans at walgreens for about $11.00. I tried
    other stuff, but zinc oxide (diaper rash ointment) doesn't break down
    easily. I've gone from using thick padded short to skinny padded ones
    and the ointment is great. For anyone who experiences discomfort while
    riding, I highly recommend it. It will prevent chaffing and
    irritation, but it won't prevent numbness though. BTW, my butt feels
    smooth and doesn't seem to have riding calluses. I used to have a
    rough butt and calluses both on my hands and butt the first few years
    of my cycling life, 24 yrs ago. Not anymore.

    Andres

  7. DougC said:
    Quoted message said:

    Poor riding positions are most commonly found with beginners, riders
    who have no long term mileage that would develop tougher skin in the
    appropriate areas of contact with the saddle. Put these two together
    and you get chafing raspberries on the pressure points. I am not
    convinced that position comes first in this problem.

    Quoted message said:

    Jobst Brandt

    I don't want tough skin on my ass, and won't do anything that requires it.
    -------
    I tend to suspect that a lot of "getting used to a saddle" is low-level
    nerve damage, rather like how boxers get used to minor concussions. Just
    because "it hurt at first but doesn't anymore" doesn't mean something
    good happened.

    I think you're worrying unnecessarily.

    Ever work with your hands? Or play a musical instrument? Or even
    spend a lot of time writing with a pencil? Your skin will toughen at
    the points where it takes pressure.

    It's only "damage" if you overdo it before gradually toughening the
    skin. Then you get sore. It's no big deal!

    - Frank Krygowski

  8. Quoted message said:
    Jim Behning said:

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 05:27:15 -0600, DougC <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] wrote:

    > Poor riding positions are most commonly found with beginners,
    > riders who have no long term mileage that would develop tougher
    > skin in the appropriate areas of contact with the saddle. Put
    > these two together and you get chafing raspberries on the
    > pressure points. I am not convinced that position comes first
    > in this problem. Jobst Brandt

    I don't want tough skin on my ass, and won't do anything that
    requires it. ------- I tend to suspect that a lot of "getting
    used to a saddle" is low-level nerve damage, rather like how
    boxers get used to minor concussions. Just because "it hurt at
    first but doesn't anymore" doesn't mean something good happened.
    ~


    If you were to check the skin condition of any rider who rides more
    than a few hours a week I would bet you would find calloused or
    toughened up skin where the saddle hits or rubs. You do not find a
    carpenter who uses a hammer all day that does not have calloused
    hands. You do not find a walking person who does not have thicker
    skin on the bottom of their feet. If you find a person who walks
    barefoot all the time outside they may have even thicker skin than
    a person who walks in shoes the same amount.

    You know, I think it's not something I want to check! ;-) However,
    It's quite likely that skin does toughen up. I have more trouble with
    chafing and saddle sores in the spring every year, after two or three
    months of relatively minimal riding (depending on the winter wondeland
    weather), than I do in the summmer or fall even though my riders are
    longer in those times of year.

    Quoted message said:

    I have been using diaper rash ointment on my butt for quite a while
    now (only when I ride). I put a liberal amount of that stuff on my
    biking shorts and I can go for several hours with absolutely no
    discomfort. I buy big cans at walgreens for about $11.00. I tried
    other stuff, but zinc oxide (diaper rash ointment) doesn't break down
    easily. I've gone from using thick padded short to skinny padded
    ones and the ointment is great. For anyone who experiences discomfort
    while riding, I highly recommend it. It will prevent chaffing and
    irritation, but it won't prevent numbness though. BTW, my butt feels
    smooth and doesn't seem to have riding calluses. I used to have a
    rough butt and calluses both on my hands and butt the first few years
    of my cycling life, 24 yrs ago. Not anymore.

    When I started playing guitar back in 1979, I developed thick, visible
    callouses on my fingertips. Nearly 30 years later, the skin on my
    fingertips is toughened but there has not been a thick callous on them
    in years. I still play guitar a couple of hours a day- I use 12s on my
    main guitars, 10s on the Sel-Mac copy. I think that the skin develops
    toughness rather than callouses with constant exposure.

  9. Doug Cimper said:
    Quoted message said:

    Poor riding positions are most commonly found with beginners,
    riders who have no long term mileage that would develop tougher
    skin in the appropriate areas of contact with the saddle. Put
    these two together and you get chafing raspberries on the pressure
    points. I am not convinced that position comes first in this
    problem.

    Quoted message said:

    I don't want tough skin on my ass, and won't do anything that
    requires it.

    Quoted message said:

    I tend to suspect that a lot of "getting used to a saddle" is
    low-level nerve damage, rather like how boxers get used to minor
    concussions. Just because "it hurt at first but doesn't anymore"
    doesn't mean something good happened.

    This isn't about nerves but rather surface abrasion, just as skin on
    the hands gets accustomed to handlebars. A new rider, if able to ride
    long distances, would develop blisters from unaccustomed stress on
    tender skin... on the hands and on the buttocks.

    Just the same, there are lateral forces on the skin where one sits,
    the smaller of these being absorbed by laterally displacing padding in
    shear, whether on the saddle or in the shorts. That's why a thin
    layer Spenco gel on saddles served a purpose. When riders started
    choosing saddles by weight, padded shorts came to the rescue.

    Jobst Brandt

  10. Ken Bour said:

    Can we assume that you are talking about perineum pressure?

    No. This is about pelvic pressure on the wide part of the saddle.
    Don't let's get started about saddles with fart slots.

    Quoted message said:

    If so, I had that problem recently on my indoor training
    (stationary) bike. I was doing fine until I thought it would be a
    good idea to put the front wheel up on one of those plastic risers.
    That changed the position of the saddle relative to my torso
    position, of course, which then placed enormous pressure on that
    sensitive "nerve." My pecker went numb in just 15 minutes of
    pedaling (I stupidly continued for the full hour) and normal
    sensation took alarmingly long to return. I don't mind reporting
    that this experience worried me! Truthfully, I didn't realize at
    first that the riser was the cause, so I started researching to find
    a more forgiving saddle. A lot of people were very complimentary of
    the Specialized Toupe saddle for this particular symptom, so I
    bought one. The final combined solution was twofold: (1) saddle
    with better body geometry (excellent!) and (2) removal of the
    plastic riser allowing the front tire to rest on the floor.

    This is an old story of non bicyclists telling us that we will become
    impotent if we persist in riding on conventional bicycle saddles.

    There will always be people with special physical problems who should
    not try to tell the rest of bicyclists that they also have this
    problem and should, for instance, ride recumbents and the like.

    Quoted message said:

    I haven't experienced any "pressure" problems on my road bike which
    has a Fizik Arione saddle (approx. 5 degree forward tilt).

    I'm glad you found a solution to your problem.

    Jobst Brandt

  11. Tim McNamara said:
    Quoted message said:
    Jim Behning said:

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 05:27:15 -0600, DougC <[email hidden]>
    wrote:

    > [email hidden] wrote:
    >
    >> Poor riding positions are most commonly found with beginners,
    >> riders who have no long term mileage that would develop tougher
    >> skin in the appropriate areas of contact with the saddle. Put
    >> these two together and you get chafing raspberries on the
    >> pressure points. I am not convinced that position comes first
    >> in this problem. Jobst Brandt
    >
    > I don't want tough skin on my ass, and won't do anything that
    > requires it. ------- I tend to suspect that a lot of "getting
    > used to a saddle" is low-level nerve damage, rather like how
    > boxers get used to minor concussions. Just because "it hurt at
    > first but doesn't anymore" doesn't mean something good happened. ~
    If you were to check the skin condition of any rider who rides more
    than a few hours a week I would bet you would find calloused or
    toughened up skin where the saddle hits or rubs. You do not find a
    carpenter who uses a hammer all day that does not have calloused
    hands. You do not find a walking person who does not have thicker
    skin on the bottom of their feet. If you find a person who walks
    barefoot all the time outside they may have even thicker skin than
    a person who walks in shoes the same amount.

    You know, I think it's not something I want to check! ;-) However,
    It's quite likely that skin does toughen up. I have more trouble with
    chafing and saddle sores in the spring every year, after two or three
    months of relatively minimal riding (depending on the winter wondeland
    weather), than I do in the summmer or fall even though my riders are
    longer in those times of year....

    Politically incorrect comment: I do not.

    --
    Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
    Tradition is the worst rational for action.

  12. aka Jobst Brandt said:

    ...
    There will always be people with special physical problems who should
    not try to tell the rest of bicyclists that they also have this
    problem and should, for instance, ride recumbents and the like.

    Similarly, there will always be upright riders that should not try to
    tell EVERYONE that proper fit on an upright will cure comfort problems
    for ALL riders. Some post here regularly.

    --
    Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
    Tradition is the worst rational for action.

  13. Per DougC:

    Quoted message said:

    So why the padded shorts then? Why all the different-shaped and widths
    of saddles? Or does that comfort not count?

    It's pain reduction, not comfort.... -)
    --
    PeteCresswell

  14. Per Jim Behning:

    Quoted message said:

    If you were to check the skin condition of any rider who rides more
    than a few hours a week I would bet you would find calloused or
    toughened up skin where the saddle hits or rubs. You do not find a
    carpenter who uses a hammer all day that does not have calloused
    hands.

    I wonder what would be found on the ichial tuberosities
    themselves.

    Back in my surfing days, I and my fellow surfers used to get
    these large tumor-like lumps on our shins - from paddling the
    board while kneeling on it. The skin wasn't all that tough, but
    the lump made a pad between the board and the shin bone.
    --
    PeteCresswell

  15. Quoted message said:

    Can anyone out there recommend a "dual platform" seat?

    My bikes have the traditional narrow seat and I'm experiencing the
    typical nerve damage and pain to the point where I can't ride
    anymore. I have a "road bike" and a "hybrid" touring bike.

    Greatly appreciate a reply to [email hidden].

    Thanking you in advance,

    Trent

    you should try the new selle success kevlar saddle. what you really
    need is not width, but sit bone support.
    carlos
    www.bikingthings.com
    Get Faster, Enjoy Cycling, Get Fit, Live Better.

  16. Quoted message said:

    Can anyone out there recommend a "dual platform" seat?

    My bikes have the traditional narrow seat and I'm experiencing the
    typical nerve damage and pain to the point where I can't ride
    anymore. I have a "road bike" and a "hybrid" touring bike.

    Greatly appreciate a reply to [email hidden].

    Thanking you in advance,

    Trent

    Brooks saddles. Problems solved.

  17. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Can anyone out there recommend a "dual platform" seat?

    My bikes have the traditional narrow seat and I'm experiencing the
    typical nerve damage and pain to the point where I can't ride
    anymore. I have a "road bike" and a "hybrid" touring bike.

    Greatly appreciate a reply to [email hidden].

    Thanking you in advance,

    Trent

    Brooks saddles. Problems solved.

    Are you sure? You give a refund if it doesn't solve the problem?

    Lou
    --
    Posted by news://news.nb.nu (http://www.nb.nu)

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.