Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

"Bike / Deer collusions do they happen? Yep"

Started by Mike Vandeman · · Last activity · 55 posts · 3,034 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
8 July 2005
Last activity
19 July 2005
Original author
Mike Vandeman
Posts
55
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,034
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 55
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. It's rather difficult to do hit a deer while hiking or horseback riding....

    Mike

    Thu, 07 Jul 2005:
    From: [email hidden]
    Subject: Bike / Deer collusions do they happen? Yep

    Not sure how often this happens at Tolt, but I am on my second time now.

    On the Tuesday Night at Tolt ride, Iain and I were flying way ahead of the group
    on '76. I came around the corner and locked up the brakes to avoid hitting the
    young deer standing on the trail. I was close enough to touch it, and it just
    stayed put into the other riders arrived..

    Second time was coming down IAB alone at night this past winter and just about
    nailed two deer crossing the trail. I found Bike lights have the same effect on
    Deer as car lights, they become paralyzed and don't move.

    Obviously lower on the cool factor then the Bear, that Eric C. encounterd at
    Whistler, but cool all the same.

    Erik

    ===
    I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
    humans ("pure habitat"😉. Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
    years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

  2. But a lot easier to hit one while driving or hunting...

    -Nick

    Mike Vandeman wrote in message ...

    Quoted message said:

    It's rather difficult to do hit a deer while hiking or horseback riding....

    Mike

    Thu, 07 Jul 2005:
    From: [email hidden]
    Subject: Bike / Deer collusions do they happen? Yep

    Not sure how often this happens at Tolt, but I am on my second time now.

    On the Tuesday Night at Tolt ride, Iain and I were flying way ahead of the


    group

    Quoted message said:

    on '76. I came around the corner and locked up the brakes to avoid hitting


    the

    Quoted message said:

    young deer standing on the trail. I was close enough to touch it, and it


    just

    Quoted message said:

    stayed put into the other riders arrived..

    Second time was coming down IAB alone at night this past winter and just


    about

    Quoted message said:

    nailed two deer crossing the trail. I found Bike lights have the same


    effect on

    Quoted message said:

    Deer as car lights, they become paralyzed and don't move.

    Obviously lower on the cool factor then the Bear, that Eric C. encounterd


    at

    Quoted message said:

    Whistler, but cool all the same.

    Erik

    ===
    I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
    humans ("pure habitat"😉. Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
    years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

  3. Years ago my gf nearly ran into a deer crossing a wide alpine ski trail at a
    little resort. She was so focused on skiing she didn't notice it wasn't
    another skiier, but I saw it from a distance. She told me a story about
    nearly hitting a deer while mountain biking. I guess it isn't that unusual.

    She finally hit a deer with the car last year and it did a lot of damage.
    Again, she didn't see it, but I did. She was driving. Wouldn't have made any
    difference though because the deer ran into our car at full speed trying to
    get away from a guy doing some mowing.

    "Mike Vandeman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    It's rather difficult to do hit a deer while hiking or horseback
    riding....

    Mike

    Thu, 07 Jul 2005:
    From: [email hidden]
    Subject: Bike / Deer collusions do they happen? Yep

    Not sure how often this happens at Tolt, but I am on my second time now.

    On the Tuesday Night at Tolt ride, Iain and I were flying way ahead of the
    group
    on '76. I came around the corner and locked up the brakes to avoid
    hitting the
    young deer standing on the trail. I was close enough to touch it, and it
    just
    stayed put into the other riders arrived..

    Second time was coming down IAB alone at night this past winter and just
    about
    nailed two deer crossing the trail. I found Bike lights have the same
    effect on
    Deer as car lights, they become paralyzed and don't move.

    Obviously lower on the cool factor then the Bear, that Eric C. encounterd
    at
    Whistler, but cool all the same.

    Erik

    ===
    I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
    humans ("pure habitat"😉. Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
    years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

  4. "Mike Vandeman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    It's rather difficult to do hit a deer while hiking or horseback


    riding....

    Quoted message said:


    Mike

    Thu, 07 Jul 2005:
    From: [email hidden]
    Subject: Bike / Deer collusions do they happen? Yep

    Not sure how often this happens at Tolt, but I am on my second time now.

    On the Tuesday Night at Tolt ride, Iain and I were flying way ahead of the


    group

    Quoted message said:

    on '76. I came around the corner and locked up the brakes to avoid


    hitting the

    Quoted message said:

    young deer standing on the trail. I was close enough to touch it, and it


    just

    Quoted message said:

    stayed put into the other riders arrived..

    Second time was coming down IAB alone at night this past winter and just


    about

    Quoted message said:

    nailed two deer crossing the trail. I found Bike lights have the same


    effect on

    Quoted message said:

    Deer as car lights, they become paralyzed and don't move.

    Obviously lower on the cool factor then the Bear, that Eric C. encounterd


    at

    Quoted message said:

    Whistler, but cool all the same.

    Erik

    Taken from http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?a=488&q=153905

    For both study sites combined, predation was the greatest source of
    mortality, accounting for deaths of 22.5% (95% CI = 17.6-28.8) of captured
    fawns and 46.2% (95% CI = 37.6-56.7) of mortalities through 34 weeks.
    Natural causes, excluding predation, were the second leading cause of death,
    accounting for deaths of 13.3% (95% CI = 9.5-18.6) of captured fawns and
    27.4% (95% CI = 20.1-37.3) of mortalities. Vehicle accidents accounted for
    deaths of 9 fawns. Hunting accounted for deaths of 7 monitored fawns.

    So, I suggest you go take on the NRA if deer death is so important to you.
    Or the off road vehicle movement, something else you choose to ignore.

  5. At Fri, 08 Jul 2005 03:12:11 GMT, message
    <[email hidden]> was posted by Mike
    Vandeman <[email hidden]>, including some, all or none of the
    following:

    Quoted message said:

    It's rather difficult to do hit a deer while hiking or horseback riding....

    No, it's dead easy while hiking. Drop to one knee, chamber the round
    and shoot. Most hunters go on foot or in ATVs, most mountain bikers
    prefer to look at wildlife rather than shoot it. Sheesh, Mike, you
    really have lost the plot!

    Guy
    --
    May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    85% of helmet statistics are made up, 69% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

  6. So do cars,trucks,motorcycles,doors,
    fences,windows,walls,and maybe you.

  7. * Mike Vandeman <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:

    It's rather difficult to do hit a deer while hiking or horseback riding....

    Mike

    So obviously deer aren't scared by mountain bikers at all then.

    Jason

  8. Jason said:

    * Mike Vandeman <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:

    It's rather difficult to do hit a deer while hiking or horseback
    riding....

    Mike

    So obviously deer aren't scared by mountain bikers at all then.

    Jason

    The ones at Snowshoe WV aren't. You can ride right up to them. They'll
    step just off the trail with a mouthfull of ferns until you pass by. It's
    really cool to see.

    Mike

  9. V-man,
    Let me help you help your deer. Go to http://www.muledeer.org and get
    involved.

    You should google on "mule deer". You would find that the biggest threats
    to your four (4) legged friends is urban development, highways,
    deforestation, etc... Mountain biking doesn't even register as a major
    factor.

    DUH!
    Charlie Maxwell

    "Mike Vandeman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    It's rather difficult to do hit a deer while hiking or horseback
    riding....

    Mike

    Thu, 07 Jul 2005:
    From: [email hidden]
    Subject: Bike / Deer collusions do they happen? Yep

    Not sure how often this happens at Tolt, but I am on my second time now.

    On the Tuesday Night at Tolt ride, Iain and I were flying way ahead of the
    group
    on '76. I came around the corner and locked up the brakes to avoid
    hitting the
    young deer standing on the trail. I was close enough to touch it, and it
    just
    stayed put into the other riders arrived..

    Second time was coming down IAB alone at night this past winter and just
    about
    nailed two deer crossing the trail. I found Bike lights have the same
    effect on
    Deer as car lights, they become paralyzed and don't move.

    Obviously lower on the cool factor then the Bear, that Eric C. encounterd
    at
    Whistler, but cool all the same.

    Erik

    ===
    I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
    humans ("pure habitat"😉. Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
    years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

  10. "Mike Vandeman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    It's rather difficult to do....

    Now Mikey thinks deer and mountain bikers are conspiring against him.

    Maybe deer like single track.

    --
    I am working on creating an internet that is off-limits to
    Mike Vandeman ("pure habitat"😉. Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
    minutes fighting trolls and spammers)
    http://www.geocities.com/crazeemikey/index.html

  11. Mike you foole, he didn't hit anything, only approached them. The fact
    that he could approach within touching range also shoots holes in you
    theory about bikes scaring wildlife too eh?

    I was following a 1/4 block behind a friend once walking home from the
    pub and he walked right square into the side of a bull elk, bounced off
    on his ass and got up to walk around it and continue home. The elk
    never budged.

    So Hikers 'can' hit wildlife, but the biker didn't...

    LOL!

    Mike
    86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00
    88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

    Mike Vandeman said:


    It's rather difficult to do hit a deer while hiking or horseback riding....

    Mike

    Thu, 07 Jul 2005:
    From: [email hidden]
    Subject: Bike / Deer collusions do they happen? Yep

    Not sure how often this happens at Tolt, but I am on my second time now.

    On the Tuesday Night at Tolt ride, Iain and I were flying way ahead of the group
    on '76. I came around the corner and locked up the brakes to avoid hitting the
    young deer standing on the trail. I was close enough to touch it, and it just
    stayed put into the other riders arrived..

    Second time was coming down IAB alone at night this past winter and just about
    nailed two deer crossing the trail. I found Bike lights have the same effect on
    Deer as car lights, they become paralyzed and don't move.

    Obviously lower on the cool factor then the Bear, that Eric C. encounterd at
    Whistler, but cool all the same.

    Erik

    ===
    I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
    humans ("pure habitat"😉. Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
    years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

  12. You been smokin' something Mike? Really, we mountain bikers and deer are
    not out to get you!

    Definition of collusion from the Encarta Dicionary: English (North America)
    Collusion col-lu-sion (noun) Secret cooperation between people in order
    to do something illegal or underhanded.

    You are a GENIOUS V-man!

    DUH!

    Charlie Maxwell

    "Mike Vandeman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    It's rather difficult to do hit a deer while hiking or horseback
    riding....

    Mike

    Thu, 07 Jul 2005:
    From: [email hidden]
    Subject: Bike / Deer collusions do they happen? Yep

    Not sure how often this happens at Tolt, but I am on my second time now.

    On the Tuesday Night at Tolt ride, Iain and I were flying way ahead of the
    group
    on '76. I came around the corner and locked up the brakes to avoid
    hitting the
    young deer standing on the trail. I was close enough to touch it, and it
    just
    stayed put into the other riders arrived..

    Second time was coming down IAB alone at night this past winter and just
    about
    nailed two deer crossing the trail. I found Bike lights have the same
    effect on
    Deer as car lights, they become paralyzed and don't move.

    Obviously lower on the cool factor then the Bear, that Eric C. encounterd
    at
    Whistler, but cool all the same.

    Erik

    ===
    I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
    humans ("pure habitat"😉. Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
    years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

  13. Per Jason:

    Quoted message said:

    So obviously deer aren't scared by mountain bikers at all then.

    I think it depends on how desensitized they are.

    In Valley Forge Park, for instance, you practically have to chase them out of
    the way.

    Go a little upstate, however, and it's a challenge to get with in a hundred
    yards of one.
    --
    PeteCresswell

  14. "Mike Vandeman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    It's rather difficult to do hit a deer while hiking or horseback
    riding....

    Mike

    Where in this does it say the cyclist hit the deer? I see "avoid hitting"
    and "just about nailed" but I see nothing stating that any deer were
    actually hit.
    Again with a "sensational" and misleading heading? Is this the intellectual
    credibility that is in demand at these conferences you attend?

  15. "Mike Vandeman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    It's rather difficult to do hit a deer while hiking or horseback
    riding....

    Mike

    Thu, 07 Jul 2005:
    From: [email hidden]
    Subject: Bike / Deer collusions do they happen? Yep

    Not sure how often this happens at Tolt, but I am on my second time now.

    On the Tuesday Night at Tolt ride, Iain and I were flying way ahead of the
    group
    on '76. I came around the corner and locked up the brakes to avoid
    hitting the
    young deer standing on the trail. I was close enough to touch it, and it
    just
    stayed put into the other riders arrived..

    Second time was coming down IAB alone at night this past winter and just
    about
    nailed two deer crossing the trail. I found Bike lights have the same
    effect on
    Deer as car lights, they become paralyzed and don't move.

    Obviously lower on the cool factor then the Bear, that Eric C. encounterd
    at
    Whistler, but cool all the same.

    Erik

    ===
    I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
    humans ("pure habitat"😉. Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
    years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

    Where does it say he hit the deer? It doesn't, Dingleberry. So you lied.
    It says he "almost" hit the deer.

  16. "Mike Vandeman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    It's rather difficult to do hit a deer while hiking or horseback


    riding....

    Quoted message said:


    Mike

    Thu, 07 Jul 2005:
    From: [email hidden]
    Subject: Bike / Deer collusions do they happen? Yep

    Not sure how often this happens at Tolt, but I am on my second time now.

    On the Tuesday Night at Tolt ride, Iain and I were flying way ahead of the


    group

    Quoted message said:

    on '76. I came around the corner and locked up the brakes to avoid


    hitting the

    Quoted message said:

    young deer standing on the trail. I was close enough to touch it, and it


    just

    Quoted message said:

    stayed put into the other riders arrived..

    Didn't hit the deer that was standing in the trail, and apparently made no
    attempt to move in response to the arrival of humans.

    This seems like a blow to the theory that deer will always take flight to
    escape people. It seems that people walking up on the deer is just as likely
    in this instance as people coming upon the deer while riding bikes.

    Quoted message said:

    Second time was coming down IAB alone at night this past winter and just


    about

    Quoted message said:

    nailed two deer crossing the trail. I found Bike lights have the same


    effect on

    Quoted message said:

    Deer as car lights, they become paralyzed and don't move.

    Looks like another miss to me.

  17. When I was a kid, my folks shipped me off to summer camp. We went for an
    overnight hike from the camp to the beach at Malibu. While camping under the
    stars that night, one of the kids woke us all up with a blood curdling
    scream, a young deer found his sleeping bag was just the right spot to curl
    up for the night. The next morning, the young deer and his mother remained
    in the camping area with us as we had breakfast. We probably shouldn't have
    done it, but we fed them pancakes and sausage.

    "po" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Years ago my gf nearly ran into a deer crossing a wide alpine ski trail at


    a

    Quoted message said:

    little resort. She was so focused on skiing she didn't notice it wasn't
    another skiier, but I saw it from a distance. She told me a story about
    nearly hitting a deer while mountain biking. I guess it isn't that


    unusual.

    Quoted message said:


    She finally hit a deer with the car last year and it did a lot of damage.
    Again, she didn't see it, but I did. She was driving. Wouldn't have made


    any

    Quoted message said:

    difference though because the deer ran into our car at full speed trying


    to

    Quoted message said:

    get away from a guy doing some mowing.

    "Mike Vandeman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    It's rather difficult to do hit a deer while hiking or horseback
    riding....

    Mike

    Thu, 07 Jul 2005:
    From: [email hidden]
    Subject: Bike / Deer collusions do they happen? Yep

    Not sure how often this happens at Tolt, but I am on my second time now.

    On the Tuesday Night at Tolt ride, Iain and I were flying way ahead of


    the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    group
    on '76. I came around the corner and locked up the brakes to avoid
    hitting the
    young deer standing on the trail. I was close enough to touch it, and


    it

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    just
    stayed put into the other riders arrived..

    Second time was coming down IAB alone at night this past winter and just
    about
    nailed two deer crossing the trail. I found Bike lights have the same
    effect on
    Deer as car lights, they become paralyzed and don't move.

    Obviously lower on the cool factor then the Bear, that Eric C.


    encounterd

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    at
    Whistler, but cool all the same.

    Erik

    ===
    I am working on creating wildlife habitat that is off-limits to
    humans ("pure habitat"😉. Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
    years fighting auto dependence and road construction.)

    http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

  18. Read the Subject again... "Bike / Deer collusions"

    Definition of collusion from the Encarta Dictionary: English (North America)
    Collusion col-lu-sion (noun) Secret cooperation between people in order
    to do something illegal or underhanded.

    Mike has been smoking crack again and says that we are conspiring with the
    deer against him to build illeagal jumps and trails. Sounds like something
    that would happen at http://www.muledeer.org ;o) So is illegal for dear to
    create trails now???

    Cheers!
    Charlie Maxwell

    "S Curtiss" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:nayze.55368$iU.54698@lakeread05...

    Quoted message said:


    "Mike Vandeman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    It's rather difficult to do hit a deer while hiking or horseback
    riding....

    Mike

    Where in this does it say the cyclist hit the deer? I see "avoid hitting"
    and "just about nailed" but I see nothing stating that any deer were
    actually hit.
    Again with a "sensational" and misleading heading? Is this the
    intellectual credibility that is in demand at these conferences you
    attend?

  19. "lowkey" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Mike Vandeman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    It's rather difficult to do....

    Now Mikey thinks deer and mountain bikers are conspiring against him.

    More paranoia from Mikey,
    http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Paranoia

    Quoted message said:


    Maybe deer like single track.

    --
    I am working on creating an internet that is off-limits to
    Mike Vandeman ("pure habitat"😉. Want to help? (I spent the previous 8
    minutes fighting trolls and spammers)
    http://www.geocities.com/crazeemikey/index.html

  20. Gee, it's kind of hard to imagine a bike and a deer plotting a conspiracy.

    Oh, you meant "collision" ? Never mind.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.