Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

Big Guy Bike and Disc Brake Question

Started by Desert_wanderer · · Last activity · 16 posts · 1,662 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
17 February 2004
Last activity
21 February 2004
Original author
Desert_wanderer
Posts
16
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,662
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–16 of 16
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I am finally getting back into riding and need to replace an 8 year old specialized hardrock which
    has served me well as a commuter and moderate trail bike. I am 6"2' and 250lbs and always found the
    21' frame a little cramped so I tried out a 23' Giant Yukon and it felt 100% better. No more feeling
    like I'm over the bars too much. I wanted the 04 Hardrock but it felt exactly like my current bike
    and specialized doesn't make a bigger frame.

    What are the pro's and con's regarding disc brakes?

    And do anyone large fellows here recommend any brand over another?

  2. Avid mech.

    I MTB 2004

  3. "desert_wanderer" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<vqqYb.511$C21.110@fed1read07>...

    Quoted message said:

    What are the pro's and con's regarding disc brakes?

    Pros - better modulation, more powerful

    Cons - in the hands of the inexperienced, they make it easy to skid, which destroys trails

    JD

  4. "JD" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "desert_wanderer" <[email hidden]> wrote in message


    news:<vqqYb.511$C21.110@fed1read07>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    What are the pro's and con's regarding disc brakes?

    Pros - better modulation, more powerful

    Cons - in the hands of the inexperienced, they make it easy to skid, which destroys trails

    I'm in agreement that you CAN skid pretty easily with good disc brakes, but in my experience,
    what tends to cause more _unintended_ skidding is brakes that are insufficient in one way or
    another. If brakes don't have good modulation (as you correctly noted, discs often have better
    modulation), then riders cannot feel what is happening well enough and cannot control the amount
    of braking force applied, leading to skids that were unintended. On the other hand, if brakes
    have decent modulation but insufficient power, riders wind up skidding because they cannot seem
    to apply enough force to get slowed down as soon as they wanted to, and finally they brake with
    near-panic force, which inevitably leads to skidding. Both of these factors are certainly
    affected by the amount of experience of the rider, and as you suggested, inexperience can
    increase skidding, particularly if the brakes are very capable. In my experience, top quality
    brakes (for the reasonably experienced rider) leads to _less_ skidding for those who are
    conscious of the damage caused by skids and who thus avoid skidding if at all possible. However,
    for those who are either unaware of the damage or who are simply stupid and don't care, it might
    be good for them to be given the opportunity to ride without ANY brakes for a few good downhill
    rides. I don't know if it would teach them much, but it would be fun to watch, at least for a
    little while, and would possibly have the side benefit of reducing the "skidiot" population.
    [With credit to JD, or whoever first came up with such an excellent term-analogy.] (Miss-spell
    intended.)
    --
    D N I E T S Off to R the M __, D H

    Reply to group. (Detestible spammers!)

  5. JD said:

    "desert_wanderer" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<vqqYb.511$C21.110@fed1read07>...

    Quoted message said:

    What are the pro's and con's regarding disc brakes?

    Pros - better modulation, more powerful

    Also, better in wet conditions. Dip the rim in some nasty mud, and rim brakes are inoperable for a
    bit, but disc brakes should keep working (don't have them to validate this).

    --
    -BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

  6. RE/

    Quoted message said:

    What are the pro's and con's regarding disc brakes?

    I'm about 220#. Disc brakes are a no-brainer for me - but YYMV.

    One thing, just because I'm heavy, I thought I needed a 180mm disc on the front. In retrospect, I
    think it was money (and interchangability) down the drain. I'd go for 160 front and rear unless I
    were doing some much-more-radical descents than I do now.
    --
    PeteCresswell

  7. (Pete Cresswell) said:

    RE/

    Quoted message said:

    What are the pro's and con's regarding disc brakes?

    I'm about 220#. Disc brakes are a no-brainer for me - but YYMV.

    One thing, just because I'm heavy, I thought I needed a 180mm disc on the front. In retrospect, I
    think it was money (and interchangability) down the drain. I'd go for 160 front and rear unless I
    were doing some much-more-radical descents than I do now.

    Yeah, I was going to get 185s but the Avids weren't readily available so I got 160s. For my riding
    and 220 lbs they're much, MUCH better than I expected.

    Greg

    --
    "Destroy your safe and happy lives before it is too late, the battles we fought were long and hard,
    just not to be consumed by rock n' roll..." - The Mekons

  8. "desert_wanderer" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:vqqYb.511$C21.110@fed1read07...

    Quoted message said:

    I am finally getting back into riding and need to replace an 8 year old specialized hardrock which
    has served me well as a commuter and moderate trail bike. I am 6"2' and 250lbs and always found
    the 21' frame a little cramped so I tried out a 23' Giant Yukon and it felt 100% better. No more
    feeling like I'm over the bars too much. I wanted the 04 Hardrock but it felt exactly like my
    current bike and specialized doesn't make a bigger frame.

    What are the pro's and con's regarding disc brakes?

    And do anyone large fellows here recommend any brand over another?

    Go for them, you'll never regret it, but get quality ones. (6', 230 lbs here)

  9. RE/

    Quoted message said:

    Yeah, I was going to get 185s but the Avids weren't readily available so I got 160s. For my riding
    and 220 lbs they're much, MUCH better than I expected.

    Another (purely intuitive - no data whatsoever) observation: Seems to me like the smaller the
    diameter, the less prone a disc is to getting bash-induced irregularities - both from the exposure
    and strength/leverage perspectives.

    OTOH, it also seems like the infamous ejection factor would become less as the disc diameter is
    increased.
    --
    PeteCresswell

  10. Thank you all very much for all the great advice.

    M

    "desert_wanderer" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:vqqYb.511$C21.110@fed1read07...

    Quoted message said:

    I am finally getting back into riding and need to replace an 8 year old specialized hardrock which
    has served me well as a commuter and moderate trail bike. I am 6"2' and 250lbs and always found
    the 21' frame a little cramped so I tried out a 23' Giant Yukon and it felt 100% better. No more
    feeling like I'm over the bars too much. I wanted the 04 Hardrock but it felt exactly like my
    current bike and specialized doesn't make a bigger frame.

    What are the pro's and con's regarding disc brakes?

    And do anyone large fellows here recommend any brand over another?

  11. RE/

    Quoted message said:

    Thank you all very much for all the great advice.

    Consider open vs closed systems.

    I like my Hope C2 closed system brakes because I like to fiddle with the adjustment as I ride.

    Others like an open system for the opposite reason.

    The front brake on one of my bikes is a Hope C2 (hydraulic). On the other bike it's an Avid mech.
    Both 185mm discs.

    It's pretty clear to me that the hydraulics have an edge over mechs...but that's not to take
    anything away from the performance/feel of Avid mechs - they *are* pretty good.

    OTOH, my Avids have this little spring clip that holds the pads in place - which can get bent if a
    wheel is inserted clumsely...and which will cause the pads to just fall out soon thereafter. Bad
    design IMHO....OTOOH, maybe not everybody is as clumsey as Yours Truly.
    --
    PeteCresswell

  12. (Pete Cresswell) wrote: <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    OTOH, it also seems like the infamous ejection factor would become less as the disc diameter is
    increased.

    That's a point. Did the problem fix itself or did it just go away? I haven't heard of anyone having
    this problem for months now. I would have thought that it would have been happening more often with
    all those new bikes and their disc brakes purchased over the Xmas period.
    --
    Westie (Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

  13. In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    (Pete Cresswell) wrote: <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    OTOH, it also seems like the infamous ejection factor would become less as the disc diameter is
    increased.

    That's a point. Did the problem fix itself or did it just go away? I haven't heard of anyone
    having this problem for months now. I would have thought that it would have been happening more
    often with all those new bikes and their disc brakes purchased over the Xmas period.

    All hype machines run out of gas rather quickly.
    --
    _________________________
    Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia ramsays-online.comramsays-online.com

  14. RE/

    Quoted message said:

    That's a point. Did the problem fix itself or did it just go away? I haven't heard of anyone having
    this problem for months now.

    Shhhhhhh!
    --
    PeteCresswell

  15. Speaking of Disc Brakes, I just put Disc Brakes on My Ellsworth Isis, I put a Avid Mechanical up
    front, and a deore mechanical in the rear (don't ask!), anyway, I have put about 10 miles on the
    bike since then, and the front brake still seems really weak, my LBS helped me set it up, so I am
    quite sure it is adjusted correctly, I am using LX levers. when I first put them on I did some VERY
    hard stops, I used to be able to do stoppies while riding urban and at the skate park with my v-
    brakes, but these don't seem to have the power to stop the front wheel to endo, is it possible I
    glazed the pads/rotor? do I have to wait longer for break-in? The deore brake will lock the rear
    wheel effortlessly Jerry

  16. RE/

    Quoted message said:

    is it possible I glazed the pads/rotor? do I have to wait longer for break-in? The deore brake
    will lock the rear wheel effortlessly

    I'm convinced that *something* happens to some pads/rotors.

    I've got two wheelsets that are interchangable between my FS (also an Isis) and hardtail.

    On the FS it is impossible for me to lock the rear wheel on pavement (Hope C2). I don't consider
    this to be a problem because that's not something I want to do anyhow....and, used as a fine-tuning
    supplement to the front brake, the rear is plenty strong.

    On the hardtail, I can lock the rear wheel with only a moderate squeeze of the handles. Same tires,
    same wheels, same rotors - I can swap rear wheels and the problem persists.

    In my case, one possibility is the different pad compounds. In fact, one thing I'd fault the Avids
    for is that the front brake is a little grabby.

    --
    PeteCresswell

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.