Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Bicycling tights/shorts or not?

Started by Steve Knight · · Last activity · 24 posts · 3,326 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
25 September 2003
Last activity
29 September 2003
Original author
Steve Knight
Posts
24
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,326
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 24
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. My commute to work is about 40 minutes. back I ride the bus part way and is only about 20 minutes. I
    hate the idea of changing pants at work. I would have to carry my cell phone pda and other stuff in
    my backpack and change it when I get to work. what a hassle every day. my crotch would like it but
    it is a pain to do. bad enough changing my shoes and changing my tee shirt as it is soaked with
    sweat. I was thinking of cycling shorts and wearing my carhart overalls over them. but still a lot
    of switching that I would be bound to forget something.
    performancebike.comProfile.cfm look good. still a pain to go to the john
    it but may work to wear all day. going to be a bit spendy if I buy 5 pair.

    --
    Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes Custom made wooden planes at reasonable prices See
    knight-toolworks.comknight-toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.

  2. "Steve Knight" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    My commute to work is about 40 minutes. back I ride the bus part way and


    is

    Quoted message said:

    only about 20 minutes. I hate the idea of changing pants at work. I would have to carry my cell


    phone

    Quoted message said:

    pda and other stuff in my backpack and change it when I get to work. what


    a

    Quoted message said:

    hassle every day. my crotch would like it but it is a pain to do. bad


    enough

    Quoted message said:

    changing my shoes and changing my tee shirt as it is soaked with sweat.
    I was thinking of cycling shorts and wearing my carhart overalls over


    them.

    Quoted message said:

    but still a lot of switching that I would be bound to forget something.
    performancebike.comProfile.cfm look good. still a pain to go to the
    john it but may work to wear all day.


    going

    Quoted message said:

    to be a bit spendy if I buy 5 pair.

    Do you have the option of leaving stuff at work?

    The time it takes to change isn't huge; I have been riding for years and leaving stuff at work -
    just bringing in underwear and socks on a daily basis.

    As I would usually shower when getting to the office or, I'd wear the same lycra gear for 4-5 days,
    making it easy to find my cycling gear etc.

    Tim

  3. "Steve Knight" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    My commute to work is about 40 minutes. back I ride the bus part way and


    is

    Quoted message said:

    only about 20 minutes. I hate the idea of changing pants at work. I would have to carry my cell


    phone

    Quoted message said:

    pda and other stuff in my backpack and change it when I get to work. what


    a

    Quoted message said:

    hassle every day. my crotch would like it but it is a pain to do. bad


    enough

    Quoted message said:

    changing my shoes and changing my tee shirt as it is soaked with sweat.
    I was thinking of cycling shorts and wearing my carhart overalls over


    them.

    Quoted message said:

    but still a lot of switching that I would be bound to forget something.
    performancebike.comProfile.cfm look good. still a pain to go to the
    john it but may work to wear all day.


    going

    Quoted message said:

    to be a bit spendy if I buy 5 pair.

    I strongly recommend that you don't spend all day wearing a sweaty chamois. Unless you particularly
    like saddle sores and boils.

    Mike

  4. "Steve Knight" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    My commute to work is about 40 minutes. back I ride the bus part way and


    is

    Quoted message said:

    only about 20 minutes. I hate the idea of changing pants at work. I would have to carry my cell


    phone

    Quoted message said:

    pda and other stuff in my backpack and change it when I get to work. what


    a

    Quoted message said:

    hassle every day. my crotch would like it but it is a pain to do. bad


    enough

    Quoted message said:

    changing my shoes and changing my tee shirt as it is soaked with sweat.
    I was thinking of cycling shorts and wearing my carhart overalls over


    them.

    Quoted message said:

    but still a lot of switching that I would be bound to forget something.
    performancebike.comProfile.cfm look good. still a pain to go to the
    john it but may work to wear all day.


    going

    Quoted message said:

    to be a bit spendy if I buy 5 pair.

    As someone who has (getting personal here) experienced the problems that fungus/yeast/bacteria can
    cause down there, I recommend changing when you get to work, and wearing your bike shorts only once
    (or one day) between washings.

    As a preventative measure, especially during summer, and especially if you aren't showering or
    changing after your commute, I would sprinkle a little OTC anti-fungal powder such as Zeasorb AF
    down there between your commute and work day.

    Maybe buy a few pair of Andiamo's, which are more suitable to wearing under your regular clothes.

    tinyurl.comomck

    Cheers!

  5. Quoted message said:

    As someone who has (getting personal here) experienced the problems that fungus/yeast/bacteria can
    cause down there, I recommend changing when you get to work, and wearing your bike shorts only once
    (or one day) between washings.

    right now my undies don't get too damp (miracle as my back and head are soaking
    (G)) so the shorts might be fine. I would have to test it of course.

    Quoted message said:

    As a preventative measure, especially during summer, and especially if you aren't showering or
    changing after your commute, I would sprinkle a little OTC anti-fungal powder such as Zeasorb AF
    down there between your commute and work day.

    Maybe buy a few pair of Andiamo's, which are more suitable to wearing under your regular clothes.

    good Idea I will get some. I got a rub sore right now. about the only thing that has not gotten used
    to the seat. I will check them out REI is local so I can go find them.

    --
    Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes Custom made wooden planes at reasonable prices See
    knight-toolworks.comknight-toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.

  6. Quoted message said:

    Do you have the option of leaving stuff at work?


    no all of it needs to go back and forth. wish I could though.

    Quoted message said:


    The time it takes to change isn't huge; I have been riding for years and leaving stuff at work -
    just bringing in underwear and socks on a daily basis.

    no but to me it is a hassle. I am lazy about dressing and grooming. I admit it so I have to work
    around it. I could leave pants but the gear changing is a pain and I know I will forget my phone or
    pda or something.

    Quoted message said:

    As I would usually shower when getting to the office or, I'd wear the same lycra gear for 4-5 days,
    making it easy to find my cycling gear etc.

    I wish I could but My shop is underground and it will soon be 58 degrees in there. not showering
    temp even if I could (G)

    --
    Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes Custom made wooden planes at reasonable prices See
    knight-toolworks.comknight-toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.

  7. you're still carrying a pda AND a phone? - just kidding

    Quoted message said:

    Do you have the option of leaving stuff at work?

    The time it takes to change isn't huge; I have been riding for years and leaving stuff at work -
    just bringing in underwear and socks on a daily basis.

    That's what I do. I bring underwear and socks daily and alos keep a spare pair of each in a desk
    drawer. I also keep a pair of nice shorts, a teeshirt, a sweater or overshirt, and a pair of shoes
    in the drawer. I bring in a clean teeshirt and overshirt every week or every other week.

    With that setup you can even get by without the shower if there is none. Without the shower but with
    clean underwear and socks, your crotch and feet will be healthy and you will still smell just enough
    that your boss will not hover over you.

    If you have a backpack and a steady supply of plastic bags, you are all set.

    Doug

  8. How can you work with salt crystals covering your body? I gotta get my shower in after a workout.

    Dave

  9. Steve Knight said:

    My commute to work is about 40 minutes. back I ride the bus part way and is only about 20
    minutes. I hate the idea of changing pants at work. I would have to carry my cell phone pda and
    other stuff in my backpack and change it when I get to work. what a hassle every day. my crotch
    would like it but it is a pain to do. bad enough changing my shoes and changing my tee shirt as
    it is soaked with sweat. I was thinking of cycling shorts and wearing my carhart overalls over
    them. but still a lot of switching that I would be bound to forget something.
    performancebike.comProfile.cfm look good. still a pain to go to the
    john it but may work to wear all day. going to be a bit spendy if I buy 5 pair.

    Perhaps I'm lucky. I have my own office, and we have showers. Even so, I invariably wear lycra, and
    carry everything in a pannier. Perhaps it's overkill. I dislike wearing any sort of rucsac - I did
    it for long enough, and panniers are much nicer. "Ordinary" clothes rub and flap about - if I wanted
    to have sails blown by the wind I'd take up yachting. The other nice thing is having pockets at the
    back so that keys don't did a hole in either your crotch or bum.

    A+ Paul
    --
    Paul Floyd paulf.free.frpaulf.free.fr (for what it's worth) Surgery: ennobled Gerald.

  10. When I used to ride to work, I used a spray bottle with rubbing alchol and water to rinse off, then
    rub down with a towel. Clean and anti bacterial.

  11. "Steve Knight" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    As someone who has (getting personal here) experienced the problems


    that

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    fungus/yeast/bacteria can cause down there, I recommend changing when


    you

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    get to work, and wearing your bike shorts only once (or one day)


    between

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    washings.

    right now my undies don't get too damp (miracle as my back and head


    are soaking

    Quoted message said:

    (G)) so the shorts might be fine. I would have to test it of course.

    Quoted message said:

    As a preventative measure, especially during summer, and especially


    if you

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    aren't showering or changing after your commute, I would sprinkle a


    little

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    OTC anti-fungal powder such as Zeasorb AF down there between your


    commute

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    and work day.

    Maybe buy a few pair of Andiamo's, which are more suitable to wearing


    under

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    your regular clothes.

    good Idea I will get some. I got a rub sore right now. about the only


    thing that

    Quoted message said:

    has not gotten used to the seat. I will check them out REI is local so I can go find them.

    Damn, Steve, you just asked about riding in the rain. You will not want to stand around all day in
    wet shorts -- no matter what kind of shorts they may be. Find a place to stash your stuff and then
    change. Find a hook on the back of a door or someplace to hang your clothes. When the rain hits, you
    will thank me. -- Jay Beattie.

  12. On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 17:59:07 -0700, "Jay Beattie" <[email hidden]> w

    Quoted message said:

    Damn, Steve, you just asked about riding in the rain. You will not want to stand around all day in
    wet shorts -- no matter what kind of shorts they may be. Find a place to stash your stuff and then
    change. Find a hook on the back of a door or someplace to hang your clothes. When the rain hits,
    you will thank me. -- Jay Beattie.

    true I was not thinking of combining them in that way (G)

    --
    Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes Custom made wooden planes at reasonable prices See
    knight-toolworks.comknight-toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.

  13. Jay Beattie said:

    Damn, Steve, you just asked about riding in the rain. You will not want to stand around all day in
    wet shorts -- no matter what kind of shorts they may be.

    Umm... fenders?

    Chalo Colina

  14. Steve Knight said:

    My commute to work is about 40 minutes. back I ride the bus part way and is only about 20 minutes.
    I hate the idea of changing pants at work. I would have to carry my cell phone pda and other stuff
    in my backpack and change it when I get to work. what a hassle every day. my crotch would like it
    but it is a pain to do. bad enough changing my shoes and changing my tee shirt as it is soaked
    with sweat. I was thinking of cycling shorts and wearing my carhart overalls over them. but still
    a lot of switching that I would be bound to forget something.
    performancebike.comProfile.cfm look good. still a pain to go to the
    john it but may work to wear all day. going to be a bit spendy if I buy 5 pair.


    I wouldn't recommend wearing bike shorts all day but of course it gets done all the time when
    touring. But it feels good to put on clean stuff when you get to work. A lot of people worry about
    having a shower available but I find that taking a shower in the morning before you leave is
    perfectly fine, in combination with CLEAN clothes at work.

    A lot of people will drive 1 day a week and use that to stock their at-work clothing supply and
    retrieve dirties.

    I carry my "civvies" in a backpack as you describe. I leave a pair of shoes at work. It doesn't take
    long to change. Since you're already changing your shoes and shirt, what's left - just pants. No
    more than 5 minutes to change.

  15. RE/

    Quoted message said:

    A lot of people worry about having a shower available but I find that taking a shower in the
    morning before you leave is perfectly fine, in combination with CLEAN clothes at work.

    I didn't want to say anything because it might sound indelicate...but now that you've broached
    the issue....

    I used to train at a gym in Hawaii that had no locker room, no showers, no nothing... The consesus
    at that time was that if you start clean, you can sweat and dry off once in a day without any
    problem - and most of these people were of a racial/cultural group that is extremely sensitive to
    such matters...
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

  16. Paul Floyd <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 04:33:22 GMT, Steve Knight

    Quoted message said:

    My commute to work is about 40 minutes. back I ride the bus part way and is only about 20
    minutes. I hate the idea of changing pants at work. I would have to carry my cell phone pda and
    other stuff in my backpack and change it when I get to work. what a hassle every day. my crotch
    would like it but it is a pain to do. bad enough changing my shoes and changing my tee shirt as
    it is soaked with sweat. I was thinking of cycling shorts and wearing my carhart overalls over
    them. but still a lot of switching that I would be bound to forget something.
    performancebike.comProfile.cfm look good. still a pain to go to the
    john it but may work to wear all day. going to be a bit spendy if I buy 5 pair.

    Perhaps I'm lucky. I have my own office, and we have showers. Even so, I invariably wear lycra,
    and carry everything in a pannier. Perhaps it's overkill. I dislike wearing any sort of rucsac - I
    did it for long enough, and panniers are much nicer. "Ordinary" clothes rub and flap about - if I
    wanted to have sails blown by the wind I'd take up yachting. The other nice thing is having
    pockets at the back so that keys don't did a hole in either your crotch or bum.

    A+ Paul

    I agree with all of this (particulaly about backpacks - I hate them). Cycling is much more enjoyable
    in the right clothes. Shorts (and some form of cycling tights in cold weather) are the only
    specialist items needed, but do eliminate chafing. I don't usually use other "cycle clothing", but
    choose things that are fairly tight fitting to cycle
    in. Work clothes stay at work (my children really don't believe I own a suit and wonder what I do
    with the ties I get for Christmas) so I don't have extra to carry. I need to wash, so it makes
    sense to do this after I have cycled to work rather than before.

    In poor weather it is in fact easier to change when you get to work than to be there all day in
    soggy socks etc.

    I don't have a cell phone or PDA so I can't comment on this aspect.

    I advise you to invest in some cycle shorts and change at work and to get panniers or bar-bag/seat
    post bag to eliminate your backpack - I think this is the crux of the issue, without a back pack you
    really won't mind carrying stuff on your bike anyway.

    Andrew Webster

  17. Quoted message said:

    I wouldn't recommend wearing bike shorts all day but of course it gets done all the time when
    touring. But it feels good to put on clean stuff when you get to work. A lot of people worry about
    having a shower available but I find that taking a shower in the morning before you leave is
    perfectly fine, in combination with CLEAN clothes at work.

    I run my woodworking shop clean is not an issue (G) my clothes get dirty every day. My underware
    right now doesn to really get too damp so I doubt shorts will get too damp either. I usually sweat
    pretty good in the crotch area. so I am not complaining.

    Quoted message said:

    A lot of people will drive 1 day a week and use that to stock their at-work clothing supply and
    retrieve dirties.

    not sure if I want to carry dirty clothes on the bus (G)

    Quoted message said:

    I carry my "civvies" in a backpack as you describe. I leave a pair of shoes at work. It doesn't
    take long to change. Since you're already changing your shoes and shirt, what's left - just pants.
    No more than 5 minutes to change.

    the shoes I don't have a choice on. they are the biggest pain as I have to carry sandals with me
    so i can walk into stores and such. if it was not for the backpack making me sweat I would not
    have to change my tee shirt. a bigger pack with a mesh back may eliminate that.but the pants are
    the hard part. all the [censored] I would have to transfer will drive me nuts. keys wallet phone pda
    knife and god knows what else (G) that's too much like work to me. I hate doing stuff like that.
    right now I can't afford enough sorts for a week of riding so I have time to think about it (G)

    --
    Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes Custom made wooden planes at reasonable prices See
    knight-toolworks.comknight-toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.

  18. Quoted message said:

    I agree with all of this (particulaly about backpacks - I hate them). Cycling is much more
    enjoyable in the right clothes. Shorts (and some form of cycling tights in cold weather) are the
    only specialist items needed, but do eliminate chafing. I don't usually use other "cycle clothing",
    but choose things that are fairly tight fitting to cycle
    in. Work clothes stay at work (my children really don't believe I own a suit and wonder what I do
    with the ties I get for Christmas) so I don't have extra to carry. I need to wash, so it makes
    sense to do this after I have cycled to work rather than before.

    I have been debating on the shorts issue. but I just don't know if i want to go to the effort of
    changing. the Jeans are not too bad and the chafing is getting better. it's not a real long ride to
    work. only 42 minutes right now. but I hate changing clothes and hate even more moving my daily gear
    around. hey we all have our hangups (G) I am so lazy I only shave once a week and go weeks without
    looking in a mirror. All I have a racing bike so there are no places to hang anything. so it has to
    be on my back. but I have carried the backpack for years so it is no big deal but for the sweat on
    my back it causes and that it is getting too small with all of the bicycle stuff in it.

    but right now I am broke and have to worry about fenders and rain gear first of all. its portland
    oregon and the weather is pretty unpredictable.

    --
    Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes Custom made wooden planes at reasonable prices See
    knight-toolworks.comknight-toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.

  19. In article <[email hidden]>, Steve Knight

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I agree with all of this (particulaly about backpacks - I hate them). Cycling is much more
    enjoyable in the right clothes. Shorts (and some form of cycling tights in cold weather) are the
    only specialist items needed, but do eliminate chafing. I don't usually use other "cycle
    clothing", but choose things that are fairly tight fitting to cycle
    in. Work clothes stay at work (my children really don't believe I own a suit and wonder what I
    do with the ties I get for Christmas) so I don't have extra to carry. I need to wash, so it
    makes sense to do this after I have cycled to work rather than before.

    I have been debating on the shorts issue. but I just don't know if i want to go to the effort of
    changing. the Jeans are not too bad and the chafing is getting better. it's not a real long ride
    to work. only 42 minutes right now. but I hate changing clothes and hate even more moving my
    daily gear around. hey we all have our hangups (G) I am so lazy I only shave once a week and go
    weeks without looking in a mirror. All I have a racing bike so there are no places to hang
    anything. so it has to be on my back. but I have carried the backpack for years so it is no big
    deal but for the sweat on my back it causes and that it is getting too small with all of the
    bicycle stuff in it.

    42 minutes is nothing to sneeze at! That's a lot longer than my commute, and I shower and change
    every time. If you don't want to go to the effort of changing, you can at least get a set of these
    "liner shorts":

    mec.caproduct detail.jsp
    5&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=14691&bmUID=1064725916320

    Even if you have a road "racing" bike, there are several rack options. The simplest is a seatpost
    rack, but it will only support a limited load. However, most racing bikes can be made to accomodate
    a full pannier-grade rack: I have a pretty Pinarello that is currently being subjected to the misery
    of rack use, and it has no bolt eyelets for mounting a rack near the dropouts.

    A cheap pannier is a great investment if you can make it: it feels much nicer than a backpack, and
    you can carry far too much. I tote my rather large lunch, a change of clothes, and flat-repair gear
    (tools, pump, tube, patches, spare chain link) every day. I limit myself to one pannier partly to
    stop my pack-mule (more like pack-rat) instincts.

    Quoted message said:

    but right now I am broke and have to worry about fenders and rain gear first of all. its portland
    oregon and the weather is pretty unpredictable.

    For sure! Fenders are the best rain gear of all.

    --
    Ryan Cousineau, [email hidden] sfu.ca~rcousine President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

  20. Steve Knight said:


    Quoted message said:

    I wouldn't recommend wearing bike shorts all day but of course it gets done all the time when
    touring. But it feels good to put on clean stuff when you get to work. A lot of people worry about
    having a shower available but I find that taking a shower in the morning before you leave is
    perfectly fine, in combination with CLEAN clothes at work.

    I run my woodworking shop clean is not an issue (G) my clothes get dirty every day. My underware
    right now doesn to really get too damp so I doubt shorts will get too damp either. I usually sweat
    pretty good in the crotch area. so I am not complaining.

    Quoted message said:

    A lot of people will drive 1 day a week and use that to stock their at-work clothing supply and
    retrieve dirties.

    not sure if I want to carry dirty clothes on the bus (G)

    Quoted message said:

    I carry my "civvies" in a backpack as you describe. I leave a pair of shoes at work. It doesn't
    take long to change. Since you're already changing your shoes and shirt, what's left - just pants.
    No more than 5 minutes to change.

    the shoes I don't have a choice on. they are the biggest pain as I have to carry sandals with me
    so i can walk into stores and such. if it was not for the backpack making me sweat I would not
    have to change my tee shirt. a bigger pack with a mesh back may eliminate that.but the pants are
    the hard part. all the [censored] I would have to transfer will drive me nuts. keys wallet phone pda
    knife and god knows what else (G) that's too much like work to me. I hate doing stuff like that.
    right now I can't afford enough sorts for a week of riding so I have time to think about it (G)

    just stay funky, Steve. nothing anyone says will help you to see a better way.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.