I was reading a book to my daughter today. The book is small
enough for young hands with 6 thick cardboard pages. This book
was on transport and had one vehicle per page. When I got to
the end of the book, I realised that the humble bicycle was not
mentioned at all. I didn't realise that the discrimination was that
bad. They indoctrinate one year olds that the bicycle is not
transport. Should I throw out this book, or recommend to the
publisher that a bicycle should be added to the next edition?
Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion
Bicycle discrimination in toddler book
Thread navigation
Jump through the discussion
Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.
Thread details
What we know about this thread
- Original section
- Australia and New Zealand
- Published
- 22 September 2005
- Last activity
- 22 September 2005
- Original author
- ghostgum
- Posts
- 7
- Discussion status
- Public discussion
- Total views
- 872
- Views / 30 days
- 0
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
-
-
ghostgum said:
I was reading a book to my daughter today. The book is small
enough for young hands with 6 thick cardboard pages. This book
was on transport and had one vehicle per page. When I got to
the end of the book, I realised that the humble bicycle was not
mentioned at all. I didn't realise that the discrimination was that
bad. They indoctrinate one year olds that the bicycle is not
transport. Should I throw out this book, or recommend to the
publisher that a bicycle should be added to the next edition?A sad sign of the times.
Here in NZ we have just had an election. The Green Party never once used
the word "bicycle" in any of their campaigning! *Sigh* Only 20% of NZ
children now ride bikes regularly, compared to everybody when I was young.Peter
--
If you are careful enough in life, nothing bad -- or
good -- will ever happen to you. -
ghostgum said:
I was reading a book to my daughter today. The book is small
enough for young hands with 6 thick cardboard pages. This book
was on transport and had one vehicle per page. When I got to
the end of the book, I realised that the humble bicycle was not
mentioned at all. I didn't realise that the discrimination was that
bad. They indoctrinate one year olds that the bicycle is not
transport. Should I throw out this book, or recommend to the
publisher that a bicycle should be added to the next edition?Write to the publisher and duly complain!
BTW, what was included as 'transport'? Big trucks, sleek sports cars, space shuttles, diesel trains, jet ski's...
-
cfsmtb said:
Write to the publisher and duly complain!
BTW, what was included as 'transport'? Big trucks, sleek sports cars, space shuttles, diesel trains, jet ski's...Train, motor cycle, helicopter, fire engine, tractor,
convertible car (pink!), yacht, aeroplane, transport
carrier (semi-trailer carrying cars), truck.
All the pictures are of toys, so perhaps the problem
is that they couldn't find a toy bicycle.At least my daughter will see that I ride to work,
even if it isn't in the book. It was your bicycle
activism that made me notice that the bicycle
was excluded from the book and question why. -
ghostgum said:
All the pictures are of toys, so perhaps the problem
is that they couldn't find a toy bicycle.Myth: bicycles are toys!
-
aeek said:
Myth: bicycles are toys!
Correct response sir!
BTW we have three little toys bicycles in our household. A Barbie pink placcie thing, a nifty metal Chinese roadie thing that looks like it's got beltdrive and working spring brake & a teenie-weenie bmx. Oh, about 20 real ones. 😄
-
ghostgum said:
I was reading a book to my daughter today.
[...]Quoted message said:
They indoctrinate one year olds that the bicycle is not
transport. Should I throw out this book, or recommend to the
publisher that a bicycle should be added to the next edition?Maybe one year old is a good time to teach your daughter that books
don't present a complete view of the world?Have you tried searching second hand store for Richard Scary books? He
has a number of "things that go" based books, some which have bicycles
in them. Others, which are car focused, ridicule car culture in subtle
ways.yours,
Sam R.
Active in the last 60 minutes
Active in this thread
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.