Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

bicycle appraisal needed for one-off bike

Started by Marc Rosenbaum · · Last activity · 19 posts · 1,596 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
31 October 2003
Last activity
4 November 2003
Original author
Marc Rosenbaum
Posts
19
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,596
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–19 of 19
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm looking for a recommendation of a person who can appraise the bicycle I built for my Bachelor's
    thesis at MIT in 1974. It's a one-off - the first large diameter aluminum tube frame, and one-off
    pedals, hubs, and BB. It was built as a fixed gear bike, and weighs about 13 pounds currently. At
    the time I believe it was the lightest ridable bike in the world (it weighed in at 12 pounds 5
    ounces back then, with a different handlebar set-up that was connected to the fork crown).

    I'm either going to donate the bike to a musuem or sell it, in either case an appraisal would be
    helpful. It would be helpful to know what cost range I might expect for this service, also.

    Thanks for any assistance provided.

    Marc Rosenbaum Meriden, NH

  2. Quoted message said:

    I'm looking for a recommendation of a person who can appraise the bicycle I built for my Bachelor's
    thesis at MIT in 1974. It's a one-off - the first large diameter aluminum tube frame, and one-off
    pedals, hubs, and BB.

    Is this the same material science class that Gary Klein was in? Phil Brown

  3. (Marc Rosenbaum) said:

    Thanks for any assistance provided.

    Marc Rosenbaum Meriden, NH

    What else have you done?

    In my experience, such projects only take on real value if the builder becomes famous or otherwise
    important to the technology or industry later.

    Do you have any documentation to support a "lightest bike at the time" claim? Did anyone of
    significance ride it? Did it win any races, design awards, etc...?

    Barry

  4. "Phil Brown" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    I'm looking for a recommendation of a person who can appraise the bicycle I built for my
    Bachelor's thesis at MIT in 1974. It's a one-off - the first large diameter aluminum tube frame,
    and one-off pedals, hubs, and BB.

    Is this the same material science class that Gary Klein was in?

    Hard to believe that this guy beat Gary, at the same school, and that he was not mentioned in Klein
    v. Cannondale. Also, Bill Shook of American Classic was riding his OS aluminum bike in May of 1974.
    So, to be the supposed "first" OS aluminum frame, it would have had to be built before then. If the
    OPs dates are right, however, it is interesting that Gary conceived of his OS aluminum frame in
    October 1974 and built it in February 1975 -- all of this after the end of the school year in '74.
    Hmmmm. -- Jay Beattie.

  5. "Phil Brown" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    So, to be the supposed "first" OS aluminum frame, it would have had to be built


    before

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    then.

    There were "OS" aluminium frames made in France before WWII.

    That is why I put "first" in quotes. In the Klein v. Cannondale case, the court only talked about
    the Shook frame. But every time someone talks about being the first, someone else cites an earlier
    invention -- like the pre-war French OS aluminum tubed bike. It must be tough being a patent
    examiner. -- Jay Beattie.

  6. Jay Beattie <[email hidden]> wrote:
    : It must be tough being a patent examiner. -- Jay Beattie.

    actually it's not. prior art to them means an earlier patent. other than that it's up to the courts
    to decide.
    --
    david reuteler [email hidden]

  7. In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    Jay Beattie <[email hidden]> wrote:
    : It must be tough being a patent examiner. -- Jay Beattie.

    actually it's not. prior art to them means an earlier patent. other than that it's up to the
    courts to decide.

    It doesn't have to be a patent; just some published work, whether it be an advertisement, research
    paper, speech, or whatever.

    --
    Dave Kerber Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

    REAL programmers write self-modifying code.

  8. Marc Rosenbaum said:

    I'm looking for a recommendation of a person who can appraise the bicycle I built for my
    Bachelor's thesis at MIT in 1974. It's a one-off - the first large diameter aluminum tube
    frame, and one-off pedals, hubs, and BB. It was built as a fixed gear bike, and weighs about 13
    pounds currently. At the time I believe it was the lightest ridable bike in the world (it
    weighed in at 12 pounds 5 ounces back then, with a different handlebar set-up that was
    connected to the fork crown).

    I'm either going to donate the bike to a musuem or sell it, in either case an appraisal would be
    helpful. It would be helpful to know what cost range I might expect for this service, also.

    You might check with Gary Klein, who was involved in similar things at the 'Tute. I don't know what
    market or other interest there might be for this, but he should. He had built his first bike there
    at around that same time; but you probably know all about that.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | "Business!" cried the Ghost. "Mankind was my business. The _`\(,_ | common welfare was my
    business; charity, mercy, forbearance, (_)/ (_) | and benevolence, were, all, my business. The
    dealings of my trade were but a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!"
    --Dickens, "A Christmas Carol"

  9. David Kerber ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    Jay Beattie <[email hidden]> wrote:
    : It must be tough being a patent examiner. -- Jay Beattie.

    actually it's not. prior art to them means an earlier patent. other than that it's up to the
    courts to decide.

    It doesn't have to be a patent; just some published work, whether it be an advertisement, research
    paper, speech, or whatever.

    Yes, but the US patent office notoriously hands out patents without even the most cursory check for
    prior art. The overwhelming majority of US issued patents in my field are for techniques which were
    common practice years before they were patented. In principle of course they could be challenged in
    the courts but in practice small companies can't afford to do this.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) jasmine.org.uk~simon

    ;; of 90+ years of protection, but a cure for cancer, only 14? -- user 'Tackhead', in /.
    discussion of copyright law, 22/05/02

  10. "Jay Beattie" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    "Phil Brown" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    I'm looking for a recommendation of a person who can appraise the bicycle I built for my
    Bachelor's thesis at MIT in 1974. It's a one-off - the first large diameter aluminum tube
    frame, and one-off pedals, hubs, and BB.

    Is this the same material science class that Gary Klein was in?

    Hard to believe that this guy beat Gary, at the same school, and that he was not mentioned in
    Klein v. Cannondale. Also, Bill Shook of American Classic was riding his OS aluminum bike in May
    of 1974. So, to be the supposed "first" OS aluminum frame, it would have had to be built before
    then. If the OPs dates are right, however, it is interesting that Gary conceived of his OS
    aluminum frame in October 1974 and built it in February 1975 -- all of this after the end of the
    school year in '74. Hmmmm. -- Jay Beattie.

    Hmmmm yourself, Mr. Beattie. Just for the record, not because it relates to the question I asked,
    which was about finding an appraiser, not asking for an appraisal:

    My SB thesis in Mechanical Eng'g at MIT was submitted in May 1974 and is a matter of public record.
    The bike was designed and built over the previous winter and spring. It was the first frame that
    came out of the project that Prof. Shawn Buckley put together with students to construct aluminum
    frames, but it was far more optimized and included custom components that I designed and made also.
    The frame tubes are larger diameter than those frames (and the one that Gary built later) and much
    lighter. My project was inspired by Eddy Merckx's one hour record bike - and it was lighter and much
    stiffer than that bike - it would have weighed about 11 pounds with Merckx's wheels and tires, vs.
    the 13.2 pounds of the record bike.

    There were articles about the bike in Bicycling and Bike world in early 1975.

    I don't know about the Klein vs. Cannondale court case records cited in this thread. I do know I was
    subpoenaed in this case and spent 7 hours in a videotaped deposition. The patent discovery documents
    were full of references to my thesis bike. It took over 7 years for Klein to get his patent - in my
    opinion that was because there was nothing novel about his bike.

    I'm a newbie to news groups. Is it typical for the discussion to immediately veer into off-topic
    speculation rather than address the question asked? Some of the posts remind me of an expression
    from my days at MIT - Often Mistaken But Never In Doubt :-)

    If anyone can suggest where I can find a bicycle appraiser I'd be grateful of the assistance.

    Marc Rosenbaum

  11. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    So, to be the supposed "first" OS aluminum frame, it would have had to be built before then.

    There were "OS" aluminium frames made in France before WWII. Phil Brown

    Is an "OS aluminium" frame like one the 50's Gnôme Rhône that Sheldon had in France? On that note,
    where can you find a Gnôme-Rhône bicycle?

  12. (Marc Rosenbaum) said:

    My SB thesis in Mechanical Eng'g at MIT was submitted in May 1974 and is a matter of public
    record. The bike was designed and built over the previous winter and spring. It was the first
    frame that came out of the project that Prof. Shawn Buckley put together with students to
    construct aluminum frames, but it was far more optimized and included custom components that I
    designed and made also. The frame tubes are larger diameter than those frames (and the one that
    Gary built later) and much lighter. My project was inspired by Eddy Merckx's one hour record bike
    - and it was lighter and much stiffer than that bike - it would have weighed about 11 pounds with
    Merckx's wheels and tires, vs. the 13.2 pounds of the record bike.

    May I be vulgarly curious and ask whether there are any photographs on the Web anywhere? Of your
    bike, I mean?

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) jasmine.org.uk~simon

    ;; of 90+ years of protection, but a cure for cancer, only 14? -- user 'Tackhead', in /.
    discussion of copyright law, 22/05/02

  13. [email hidden] (Marc Rosenbaum) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I'm looking for a recommendation of a person who can appraise the bicycle I built for my
    Bachelor's thesis at MIT in 1974. It's a one-off - the first large diameter aluminum tube
    frame, and one-off pedals, hubs, and BB. It was built as a fixed gear bike, and weighs about 13
    pounds currently. At the time I believe it was the lightest ridable bike in the world (it
    weighed in at 12 pounds 5 ounces back then, with a different handlebar set-up that was
    connected to the fork crown).

    I'm either going to donate the bike to a musuem or sell it, in either case an appraisal would be
    helpful. It would be helpful to know what cost range I might expect for this service, also.

    Thanks for any assistance provided.

    these anal wackos (in a nice sorta way) might be able to help you:
    <http://www.classicrendezvous.com/>

    Quoted message said:

    Marc Rosenbaum

    say, isn't that last name "french"? maybe you sell it to a japanese collector, they love frenchie
    bike stuff 😉

  14. (Marc Rosenbaum) said:

    I'm looking for a recommendation of a person who can appraise the bicycle I built for my Bachelor's
    thesis at MIT in 1974. It's a one-off - the first large diameter aluminum tube frame, and one-off
    pedals, hubs, and BB. It was built as a fixed gear bike, and weighs about 13 pounds currently. At
    the time I believe it was the lightest ridable bike in the world (it weighed in at 12 pounds 5
    ounces back then, with a different handlebar set-up that was connected to the fork crown).

    Quoted message said:

    I'm either going to donate the bike to a musuem or sell it, in either case an appraisal would be
    helpful. It would be helpful to know what cost range I might expect for this service, also.

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks for any assistance provided.

    Quoted message said:

    Marc Rosenbaum Meriden, NH

    I presume you were in the same IAP seminar class as Gary Klein ?? I think you might contact Gary
    Klein since he probably has experience with such questions, having gone commercial with the frame
    that he built.

    - Don Gillies San Diego, CA

    P.S. I saw one of these frames in the basement of building 2, at MIT, in ~1982. It was being used as
    a paperweight.

  15. Jay Beattie said:

    "Phil Brown" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'm looking for a recommendation of a person who can appraise the bicycle I built for my
    Bachelor's thesis at MIT in 1974. It's a one-off - the first large diameter aluminum tube frame,
    and one-off pedals, hubs, and BB.

    Is this the same material science class that Gary Klein was in?

    Hard to believe that this guy beat Gary, at the same school, and that he was not mentioned in
    Klein v. Cannondale. Also, Bill Shook of American Classic was riding his OS aluminum bike in May
    of 1974. So, to be the supposed "first" OS aluminum frame, it would have had to be built before
    then. If the OPs dates are right, however, it is interesting that Gary conceived of his OS
    aluminum frame in October 1974 and built it in February 1975 -- all of this after the end of the
    school year in '74. Hmmmm. -- Jay Beattie.


    And Harlan Meyer built the oversize aluminum Cosmopolitan, which Rick Ball was racing in 1972, well
    before that.

    --
    Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April, 1971

  16. "Marc Rosenbaum" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Jay Beattie" <[email hidden]> wrote in message


    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    "Phil Brown" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    >
    >I'm looking for a recommendation of a person who can appraise the bicycle I built for my
    >Bachelor's thesis at MIT in 1974. It's a one-off - the first large diameter aluminum tube
    >frame, and


    one-off

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >pedals, hubs, and BB.

    Is this the same material science class that Gary Klein was in?

    Hard to believe that this guy beat Gary, at the same school, and


    that he

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    was not mentioned in Klein v. Cannondale. Also, Bill Shook of


    American

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Classic was riding his OS aluminum bike in May of 1974. So, to be


    the

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    supposed "first" OS aluminum frame, it would have had to be built


    before

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    then. If the OPs dates are right, however, it is interesting that


    Gary

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    conceived of his OS aluminum frame in October 1974 and built it in February 1975 -- all of this
    after the end of the school year in


    '74.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Hmmmm. -- Jay Beattie.

    Hmmmm yourself, Mr. Beattie. Just for the record, not because it relates to the question I asked,
    which was about finding an appraiser, not asking for an appraisal:

    I was Hmmming, because Gary claimed that his oversized aluminum tubed bike was the first, which
    seems like quite an outrageous claim if yours was already built -- and at the same school.

    Quoted message said:


    My SB thesis in Mechanical Eng'g at MIT was submitted in May 1974 and is a matter of public
    record. The bike was designed and built over the previous winter and spring. It was the first
    frame that came out of the project that Prof. Shawn Buckley put together with students to
    construct aluminum frames, but it was far more optimized and included custom components that I
    designed and made also. The frame tubes are larger diameter than those frames (and the one that
    Gary built later) and much lighter. My project was inspired by Eddy Merckx's one hour record bike
    - and it was lighter and much stiffer than that bike - it would have weighed about 11 pounds with
    Merckx's wheels and tires, vs. the 13.2 pounds of the record bike.

    There were articles about the bike in Bicycling and Bike world in early 1975.

    I don't know about the Klein vs. Cannondale court case records cited in this thread. I do know I
    was subpoenaed in this case and spent 7 hours in a videotaped deposition. The patent discovery
    documents were full of references to my thesis bike. It took over 7 years for Klein to get his
    patent - in my opinion that was because there was nothing novel about his bike.

    I'm a newbie to news groups. Is it typical for the discussion to immediately veer into off-topic
    speculation rather than address the question asked?

    This is not off topic. You claimed to have a first-of-its-kind, one-off bike. The provenance of your
    bike is what makes it valuable, if it is valuable at all. Otherwise, it is just another home-built
    bike -- and those have a very low resale value, especially if they have non-standard parts and a
    five or six speed drive train. First bikes are also known to break due to over-cooking the joints
    and other beginner's errors. Your bike may have collector's value, but I doubt anyone would buy it
    for reliability or rideability.

    Some of the posts remind me of an expression from my

    Quoted message said:

    days at MIT - Often Mistaken But Never In Doubt :-)

    My information comes from the affidavits filed in Klein v. Cannondale, being that I was not at MIT
    in the '70s. Those records are accurate for what they are, which is limited. I did race for the San
    Jose team in the late '70s, and we were sponsored by Klein -- but Gary never talked to me about
    whether he built the first OS aluminum frame, or about anything for that matter. We mostly laughed
    at the fat-tubed Klein bikes back then and thought that anyone with boron in their stays was a
    sissy. But then, we also were not quite clear on what boron was -- except that Superman did not like
    it, and that it might cause birth defects.

    Quoted message said:


    If anyone can suggest where I can find a bicycle appraiser I'd be grateful of the assistance.

    The absolute appraiser: E-bay. Frankly, you should see if there is a museum of science and industry
    somewhere that would be interested in it. They will appraise it and give you an appropriate tax
    deduction for the donation. Unless your bike was ridden by someone famous, or you are famous, or
    some component on the bike went into production and is now famous, I doubt that it has any value
    from a collector's standpoint -- certainly not as much value as the steel frame I helped build in
    '76 with custom drill-holes in the lugs. I designed those -- O.K., I ripped them off from Cinelli,
    but mine were cooler than Cinelli's. Drill-holes were as technical as I got, being that I was an
    English major at a crummy state school -- a few classes behind Jim Blackburn, and in a different
    department. But I thought of that rack! -- Jay Beattie.

  17. [email hidden] (Marc Rosenbaum) wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    I don't know about the Klein vs. Cannondale court case records cited in this thread. I do know I
    was subpoenaed in this case and spent 7 hours in a videotaped deposition. The patent discovery
    documents were full of references to my thesis bike. It took over 7 years for Klein to get his
    patent - in my opinion that was because there was nothing novel about his bike.

    Do you recall what it was that Klein actually patented. I thought he patented the very idea of a
    Bicycle frame which exceeded certain stiffness criteria regardless of material (a "high efficiency"
    frame if you will), not the idea of an oversize aluminum frame.

    -Amit

  18. Marc Rosenbaum said:

    I'm a newbie to news groups. Is it typical for the discussion to immediately veer into off-topic
    speculation rather than address the question asked? Some of the posts remind me of an expression
    from my days at MIT - Often Mistaken But Never In Doubt :-)

    Since you asked: If that was an expression was used at MIT in the 70's it was probably because
    that mentality is common to more than just newsgroups. Welcome to the results of our public
    education system.

    Shayne Wissler

  19. Quoted message said:

    I'm a newbie to news groups. Is it typical for the discussion to immediately veer into off-topic
    speculation rather than address the question asked? Some of the posts remind me of an expression
    from my days at MIT - Often Mistaken But Never In Doubt :-)

    If anyone can suggest where I can find a bicycle appraiser I'd be grateful of the assistance.

    Marc Rosenbaum

    Marc,

    What's it worth? Who knows. Put it up on Ebay and you'll get the appraisal that that market has to
    offer. You may also try other markets such as rec.bicycles.marketplace and get its appraisal. Or you
    might take it to the bicycle show held once a year in Las Vegas and see what happens. Anyway, those
    are my ideas.

    Kenny Lee

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.