General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Better Cut of Beef for Jerky

Started by Bob Simon · · Last activity · 12 posts · 249 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
6 January 2005
Last activity
7 January 2005
Original author
Bob Simon
Posts
12
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
249
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–12 of 12
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I've been slicing rump roast thin for my home made jerky. I'm happy
    with the flavor and texture of my jerky but I'd like less connective
    tissue. Is there an economical cut of beef that has less of this
    stuff, or is there a fast way to remove a good bit of it?

    --
    Bob Simon
    remove both "x"s from domain for private replies

  2. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Bob Simon said:

    I've been slicing rump roast thin for my home made jerky. I'm happy
    with the flavor and texture of my jerky but I'd like less connective
    tissue. Is there an economical cut of beef that has less of this
    stuff, or is there a fast way to remove a good bit of it?

    --
    Bob Simon
    remove both "x"s from domain for private replies

    Well trimmed Sirloin......
    --
    K.

    Sprout the MungBean to reply

    "I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell--you
    see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain

  3. "Bob Simon" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I've been slicing rump roast thin for my home made jerky. I'm happy
    with the flavor and texture of my jerky but I'd like less connective
    tissue. Is there an economical cut of beef that has less of this
    stuff, or is there a fast way to remove a good bit of it?

    Yse top round or London Broil when it goes on Sale. Remove any fat -
    partially freeze and cut diagonally across the grain.

    Dimitri

  4. Bob Simon said:

    I've been slicing rump roast thin for my home made jerky. I'm happy
    with the flavor and texture of my jerky but I'd like less connective
    tissue. Is there an economical cut of beef that has less of this
    stuff, or is there a fast way to remove a good bit of it?

    --
    Bob Simon
    remove both "x"s from domain for private replies


    I've had good luck with 'eye of the round'. Shaped right, and fairly
    economical.

  5. Bob Simon said:

    I've been slicing rump roast thin for my home made jerky. I'm happy
    with the flavor and texture of my jerky but I'd like less connective
    tissue. Is there an economical cut of beef that has less of this
    stuff, or is there a fast way to remove a good bit of it?

    I like using rump roast for jerky. Top round might work better for you,
    or full-cut round steaks (has the top, bottom and eye) since they are
    easy to trim.

    I haven't made jerky in a long time because beef isn't going on sale
    here, and I won't pay full price for meat for making jerky.

    Bob

  6. On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 19:28:08 GMT, "Dimitri" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:


    "Bob Simon" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I've been slicing rump roast thin for my home made jerky. I'm happy
    with the flavor and texture of my jerky but I'd like less connective
    tissue. Is there an economical cut of beef that has less of this
    stuff, or is there a fast way to remove a good bit of it?

    Yse top round or London Broil when it goes on Sale. Remove any fat -
    partially freeze and cut diagonally across the grain.

    Dimitri


    Thanks for the tips.

    I understand about making the beef more solid by partially freezing,
    but why is cutting diagonally across the grain the thing to do?

    --
    Bob Simon
    remove both "x"s from domain for private replies

  7. Buffalo Steak

  8. "Bob Simon" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 19:28:08 GMT, "Dimitri" <[email hidden]>

    <Snip>

    Quoted message said:

    Thanks for the tips.

    I understand about making the beef more solid by partially freezing,
    but why is cutting diagonally across the grain the thing to do?

    I cut diagonally to get longer strips.

    Cutting across the grain makes it easier to "rip apart". If you cut with the
    grain you ( I ) get a very stringy piece if meat.

    Dimitri

  9. Kwiter said:

    Buffalo Steak


    ooo, I'd like to try that!

    --
    Steve

    It's not a good idea to squat while wearing spurs.

  10. Bob Simon said:

    I've been slicing rump roast thin for my home made jerky.
    I'm happy with the flavor and texture of my jerky but I'd
    like less connective tissue. Is there an economical cut
    of beef that has less of this stuff, or is there a fast
    way to remove a good bit of it?

    The Mexican markets here often have very thin cut flank steak on sale. It's
    cut about 1/4 inch thick. Whenever I see it on sale I get a couple of pounds
    (or more) and roll the steaks up with the grain running the length of the
    roll prior to freezing. I can then partially thaw them, cut across the rolls
    and have jerkey strips quite easily. I cut them and dump them in a large
    ziplock bag along with the spices and some Morton's Tenderquick. A day or so
    in the fridge it's ready for the dehydrator. I'm out of jerkey at the moment
    so I'll hve to get some going this weekend. Often I pull it from the
    dehydrator a bit early and finish it in the smoker to gain a more "woodsy"
    flavor.
    ..
    --
    Pete Romfh, Telecom Geek & Amateur Gourmet.
    promfh at hal dash pc dot org


  11. Quoted message said:


    Thanks for the tips.

    I understand about making the beef more solid by partially freezing,
    but why is cutting diagonally across the grain the thing to do?

    --
    Bob Simon
    remove both "x"s from domain for private replies

    Depends on what you like----cutting with the grain makes for a more chewy
    type of jerky. Here is a good recipe you might want to try; it is excellent
    w/ deer meat:

    Jerky for 3# meat

    1/2 cup soy sauce {we use Kikkoman}
    1/2 cup worchestershire {Lea & Perrins}
    2 tbsp garlic powder
    2 tbsp onion powder
    2 tbsp seasoned salt
    1 tbsp black pepper
    2 tbsp liquid smoke

    Place sliced meat in above and let set overnight in fridge, turning the
    container occasionally. [Leaving longer does not make it stronger.] Dry
    however you like--we use a dehydrator.

  12. Quoted message said:

    Bob Simon <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I've been slicing rump roast thin for my home made jerky. I'm happy
    with the flavor and texture of my jerky but I'd like less connective
    tissue. Is there an economical cut of beef that has less of this
    stuff, or is there a fast way to remove a good bit of it?

    I use London broil (top sirloin I believe) for making jerky. It's pretty
    gristle free. Slice it against the grain, marinate the slices, then dry 'em
    out!

    Barb Anne

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.