rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

beta of unicyclist.org

Started by leo · · Last activity · 25 posts · 1,042 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
25 June 2004
Last activity
3 July 2004
Original author
leo
Posts
25
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,042
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 25
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Finally I can announce the beta of 'unicyclist.org'
    (http://unicyclist.org).
    Please read my first post.

    The website now is already multiple Gb's big; over 1100 movies.
    The whole setup is made to expand unlimited.
    I wrote ALL of the code ALL by myself starting entirely from scratch.
    Right now I'm fixing the * RSS / RDF / Atom feeds*.
    These feeds makes it possible to keep up with blogs in a very timesaving
    and convenient way.
    For windows users 'SharpReader' (http://www.sharpreader.net/) is a very
    simple nice and clean Agent (and freeware!).
    But also Outlook(tm) seems to do the job nowadays.

    My plan is to start in about a week to daily discuss hints on a certain
    trick.
    I've invited top unicyclists like Irene Genelin, Dana Schneider,
    Christian Hoverath, Dustin Kelm,
    'Teresa & Sem' (http://semcycle.com) Abrahams, and 'Kris Holm'
    (http://www.krisholm.com/) to
    join a kind of panel that will make drafts which will be released for
    discussion and finally posted.
    And off course to write on the blog as well.

    Everyone who goes to NAUCC or UNICON please have a look at all 3/3 steps
    of my standard validator.

    Please note it's all beta. And although I may have a separate
    development environment I'll always prefer to code in
    the live website. The website validates valid xhtml Strict. When giving
    feedback about multimedia problems please make
    sure you use the latest versions of players before sending any feedback.
    Currently MAC AOL user may experience
    some troubles.

    Last but not least: we'll need your input! Please submit your movies,
    and pictures. When submitting please realize that
    the main purpose of the website is educational, and not to show how many
    people can ride downstairs.
    Also please know there is still a lot of uncutted footage waiting to be
    added.
    If you want to submit files larger than 2Mb please contact me.

    Anyway, enjoy your preview.

    --
    leo - errorist

    Leo Vandewoestijne [-lay?oh! fun-duh-wwho-styne-uhh-]
    'unicycle.net' (http://www.unicycle.net/)
    866-UNI-CYCL
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    leo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/224
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/33451

  2. leo said:

    *Finally I can announce the beta of 'unicyclist.org'
    (http://unicyclist.org).
    Please read my first post.
    *

    Yawn

    --
    Magic 8 Ball - Concentrate and ask again...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Magic 8 Ball's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5545
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/33451

  3. Well from what I got to see before the site stopped working for me
    (basically I read the first post, and watched some great videos) the
    site is absolutely fantastic and you should be thanked by lots of people
    lots of times for all the work you've obviously put into it...so
    thankyou.

    On a personal note, seeing some of those level 10 skills made me realise
    for some of them that they are actually doable even for someone like me
    who hasn't done a great deal of freestyle. On the other hand, seeing
    some of the other level 10 skills made me realise how great a rider you
    are and how bad I am at freestyle. 🙂

    Can anyone tell me how many official level 10 riders there are? I do
    realise that a lot of people can do all the skills confidently but don't
    follow the (American?) skills list, etc, etc.

    Congratulations Leo, the site is amazing.

    Andrew

    --
    andrew_carter - Quit jivin' me, turkey!

    HTTP://WWW.UNICYCLIST.COM/GALLERY/ANDREW
    andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
    http://www.unicycles.com.au
    Unicycling Tips and Tutorials - http://www.unicycle.2ya.com
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    andrew_carter's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1052
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/33451

  4. Oh yeah, two more things - one I really like the shadow in the title and
    the way the site is set out so simply in general, and two the 'THE
    UNICYCLE BLOG' title has just moved into an odd position.

    Andrew

    --
    andrew_carter - Quit jivin' me, turkey!

    HTTP://WWW.UNICYCLIST.COM/GALLERY/ANDREW
    andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
    http://www.unicycles.com.au
    Unicycling Tips and Tutorials - http://www.unicycle.2ya.com
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    andrew_carter's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1052
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/33451

  5. leo said:

    *Finally I can announce the beta of 'unicyclist.org'
    (http://unicyclist.org).
    Please read my first post.
    *

    What's with the personal attack on James Potter in your first post?
    That's totally inappropriate.

    If your intent is to say that you want the site focused on unicycling
    and that you don't want any chatty comments in the blog, then just say
    so. If you're reserving the right to delete comments and block users
    then just say so. But putting up a sign that says "James Potter and his
    ilk are not welcome here" is way out of bounds.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com
    Gallery: '' (http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/john_childs)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    john_childs's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/449
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/33451

  6. I found your editorials and comparisons to unicyclist.com kind of
    confusing, and I'm not sure why you feel you need to knock down other
    people or web services in promotion of yourself and your own. The
    conversational aspect of unicyclist.com is attractive and helpful to
    many people, and the fact you don't like it doesn't decrease its value
    to others.

    That said, the video postings you've done are fantastic. I could click
    through that stuff for days. I love the "partial stalker" video with
    Sem....what a hoot. And specifically, the way you've broken down each
    of the Levels into into unique video clips of each skill is a tremendous
    resource for those of us that can only aspire to that type of riding.

    I like those parts a lot. As for all the other words and editorializing,
    I'd paraphrase your motto: less preaching, more riding.

    --
    tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

    Tailgate at your own risk.....

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    tomblackwood's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3762
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/33451

  7. I like it, that's a really cool site 😄

    --
    Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

    If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/33451


  8. Quoted message said:

    -Originally posted on Leo's site-
    James_Potter is a perfect example of a kid who is wasting bytes which
    were dedicated for unicycling. Since I don't want to sponsor any of
    the costs to benefit those kind of people in any way, I gladly will:
    [bofh] # echo "ALL: those kid's IP's : deny " >> /etc/host.allow

    Could you please give a few examples of my byte-wasting? Sure, maybe I
    make a few useless posts in the J.C. forum, but they're always some type
    of conversation which is what that forum is used for.

    Other than that, you got a spiffy site there!

    --
    James_Potter - Rettop_Semaj

    -If there was an eleventh commandment, it is to be "thou shalt dip thy
    pizza, for it is, wicked."-
    --Thedan
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    James_Potter's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3807
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/33451

  9. It looks like a cross between the unicyclist.com forum and Andrew
    Carters tutorials web site. More like a magazine than a forum or a
    dictionary. All valid and useful in their own way.

    Ideally I'd like the blog to be more about unicycling in general and
    less about specific gigs, juggling, James Potter etc. but that's just my
    oppinion.

    Anyway. Thanks for making the site. I can tell it has been a lot of work
    and I really appreciate it.
    I look forward see how it develops.

    --
    Borges

    "However, I confess that the ultimate wheel lacks the day to day
    practicality of the conventional unicycle" -Mikefule
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Borges's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/925
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/33451

  10. James_Potter said:

    Could you please give a few examples of my byte-wasting?

    I could point to 2,5 "less-usefull" post, that were in the same (few)
    threads I'm in. During my wade to most of your post in the last two
    months I see I made a terrible wrong conclusion since all other posts
    were contructive and helpfull.
    I need to apologize. I had a total wrong opinion on you. I dropped that
    paragraph right out.

    Quoted message said:

    -Originally posted by tomblackwood-
    feel you need to knock down... ...web services in promotion of
    yourself and your own

    I'm not the only one who make wrong conlusions. As a matter of fact I
    realize that when (on the IUF meet in Beijing) was agreed that Gilby
    (fresh in function as maintainer of unicycling.org / RSU ) came up with
    the webinterface (on unicyclist.com in stead of unicycling.org) he
    definitly saved the group from dead-bleading in it's own succes. As I
    allready wrote I consider unicyclist.com as very usefull. And I
    appreciate Gilby's (voluntairy and costfull) initiative a lot! *IF* I
    feld the need to promote myself I rather would do that at
    booking-agencies. If I had spend 1000+ hours on that, I did'nt had time
    to create what I've made.

    This part made me sad...

    Quoted message said:

    -Originally posted by andrew_carter-
    how great a rider you are and how bad I am


    but> -Originally posted by andrew_carter-

    Quoted message said:

    I am actually now far more motivated to go out and learn


    ...that follow-up was great. You got it! That's what I wanted in the
    first place.

    Quoted message said:

    -Originally posted by tomblackwood-
    less preaching, more riding.

    amen!

    "And on the eight day He allowed the unicycle to be invented. And God
    saw that it was good."

    --
    leo - errorist

    Leo Vandewoestijne [-lay?oh! fun-duh-wwho-styne-uhh-]
    'unicycle.net' (http://www.unicycle.net/)
    866-UNI-CYCL
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    leo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/224
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/33451

  11. leo said:

    *I could point to 2,5 "less-usefull" post, that were in the same (few)
    threads I'm in. During my wade to most of your post in the last two
    months I see I made a terrible wrong conclusion since all other posts
    were contructive and helpfull.
    I need to apologize. I had a total wrong opinion on you. I dropped
    that paragraph right out.
    When you wrote that you proofed I'm not the only one who make wrong
    conlusions.*

    Oh good, now Gilby won't get the idea to block me. 🙂
    I think you meant Logan_A. though.... He rarely posted a useful post.
    But I think he died, or something....

    --
    James_Potter - Rettop_Semaj

    -If there was an eleventh commandment, it is to be "thou shalt dip thy
    pizza, for it is, wicked."-
    --Thedan
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    James_Potter's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3807
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/33451


  12. Quoted message said:

    and Andrew Carters tutorials web site.


    No, no, no...

    Peter van Boekhaut (I'm sorry, that spelling is probably way of - I mean
    'munimanpete'😉 and I did this (and are still doing this) as a joint
    project. He did the whole web page-making side of things on his own. I
    just made some tutorials and gathered and wrote some tips.

    Andrew

    --
    andrew_carter - Quit jivin' me, turkey!

    HTTP://WWW.UNICYCLIST.COM/GALLERY/ANDREW
    andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
    http://www.unicycles.com.au
    Unicycling Tips and Tutorials - http://www.unicycle.2ya.com
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    andrew_carter's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1052
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/33451

  13. The site won't load for me using Mozilla 1.7 or Firefox 0.9. I get an
    error about an XML parsing error. The site loads fine for me in IE 6.
    Is it just me? Leo is the last person I would expect to make a site
    that only works in IE and fails with an error in Mozilla.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com
    Gallery: '' (http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/john_childs)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    john_childs's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/449
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/33451

  14. I like the site a lot! I got to it after you took out the potter
    bashing, which I'm glad for, as I don't really like to see someone bash
    someone who they've never met in the inagural post of a potentially
    great site. Not to mention, plenty of Potter's posts are useful. And all
    the ones that aren't are in "most replys", and it's not like you read
    that one, so why care? Anyways, when I get DSL my hardrive will soon
    fill with crazy freestyle vidseos that I'll never get around to
    mastering the contents of.

    It's a great site, but I'm curious, why is it devoid of trials or muni?
    No pictures of them, no posts about them, nothing. Is this just because
    it's not quite up yet, or are you just covering freestyle? I've found no
    mention of trials or muni. Just curious. Also, will you be providing any
    content on unicycle maintainence?

    Also, wasn't it pretty scary 1fww-ing an ice tire?! My calfs can
    alrerady imagine the learning scars! What next, gliding?

    Cheers.

    --
    gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

    Don't you think it's a cruel irony that acting like a G.I. Joe in the
    army can get you a Medal, while playing with one can get you thrown
    out?

    http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Trials-Muni
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    gerblefranklin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4295
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/33451

  15. john_childs said:

    The site won't load for me using Mozilla 1.7 or Firefox 0.9. I get an
    error about an XML parsing error. The site loads fine for me in IE 6.
    Is it just me? Leo is the last person I would expect to make a site
    that only works in IE and fails with an error in Mozilla.

    Works for me in Firefox 0.9, though the colour scheme is quite nauseating.

    --
    Danny Colyer (the UK company has been laughed out of my reply address)
    <URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/>
    "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." - Thomas Paine

  16. john_childs said:

    *The site won't load for me using Mozilla 1.7 *

    I'm using Mozilla 1.0.1 on Linux. The site usually works, but I suspect
    the site is dynamic. The error is on the server, I think, not the
    client. When it doesn't work, I get an xml parse error as well. I'll
    try to check it out on XP today and see what happens. Oh, to watch the
    vids, I used Safari on Mac OSX.

    I'll offer a few criticisims here. Leo, the only reason I'm offering
    them is because your site has lots of potential and is off to a good
    start in the multi-media department, and indexing department.

    1. Change the background. The green is way too dark to make reading
    pleasant.

    2. Ditch the background shifting logo. I'm gussing it is a flash
    animation. It doesn't show up on my linux browser and is a waste of
    bandwidth, at least consider restricting it to your home page.

    3. Don't break the back button. When going through the process of
    creating a Standard Skill routine. I spent forever because If I missed a
    skill and had to go back a step, I lost all my original choices. If the
    purpose is to validate ( I never got to that step due to errors ), there
    must be a way to easily go back and make changes. Printing in pdf format
    is going to be way cool! If there is an XML error like John mentions,
    and the error shows up on step two and you can't go back to start
    over!

    4. Correct your spelling mistakes. Spelling mistakes are not a sign of
    coolness unless they are obviously intentional. As the webmaster, you
    should be using a spell checker. Your guests are allowed to misspell
    words, We're all idiot lusers anyway.

    5. Maybe find a way (since I couldn't complete the 3 steps I don't know
    if you did) of saving the routine as an xml file or some file which can
    be uploaded back to your server and edited in the future.

    Overall, you did quite a lot of work to get things setup. Thanks for
    your effort!

    --
    iunicycle - Old back, new cricks
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    iunicycle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1869
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/33451


  17. Quoted message said:

    -Originally posted by James_Potter-
    Logan_A


    There have been more weird characters like that over here. Sendfairy for
    exmple. Or Grogboy; a story on it's own. This kid obviously suffered
    personal problems. Handing him the positive effects of unicycling would
    prevent bad things to happen. But I can understand it well the community
    did not had patience with him. I think in the middle your teen-years the
    unicycle can become a very good friend of yourself. Personly I received
    a lot of self-confidence from the unicycle.> -Originally posted by John Childs-

    Quoted message said:

    only works in IE

    Code:
    --------------------
    xhtml 1.0 Strict is maybe the most compatible but also the most fragile flavour of html.
    A single <br> or <BR /> will cause some browers to output nothing at all.
    Last night there was a <a href="link" title="text" title="text">
    with as result your browsers not displaying anything.
    MSIE still worked because it does not understand xhtml at all
    and reads it like if it was regular html.
    --------------------

    Quoted message said:

    -Originally posted by gerblefranklin-
    why is it devoid of trials or muni?


    Simply because I cannot tell you anything on that. As I'm aware of Muni
    currently being the most popular dicipline I am glad Kris Holm responded
    enthousiast on my request. I hope it soon will result in a trick by
    trick page like the other pages.
    But I can start adding Muni movies as soon people submit them via the
    submit page.
    If you have any usefull footage you are encouraged to do so> -Originally posted by gerblefranklin-

    Quoted message said:

    scary 1fww-ing on ice


    As scary as riding world steepest velodrome (on two wheels in Gent,
    Belgium). As soon you understand your fully in control (gravity is
    pretty constant on earth) you can have a go. Besides that I really know
    how to make UPD's. Which reminds me to the time when I was in a
    stuntteam. The leader once asked me "are you scared?" I responded with
    "Well -eh- I don't feel fully comfortable" and he said "That's the best
    answer to give. If you would have said 'no' I would have kicked you out.
    Because if you are not scared you are kamikaze, and not thinking about
    the risks you take."> -Originally posted by gerblefranklin-

    Quoted message said:

    will you be providing any content on unicycle maintainence?


    Hmmm, never considered. Undecided. Maybe later on.> -Originally posted by iunicycle-

    Quoted message said:

    I suspect the site is dynamic.
    ...
    1... 2... 3... 4... 5...


    Dynamic is a bit short.
    Comparisons like === of variable-variables ($$var)
    Dynamicdynamic would fit better.
    As I pointed in the post on Anthony Gatto jugglers and unicyclist make
    excellent coders because of being able to control multiple processes,
    and thinking flexible and creative.
    I wonder what I would able to if I had some more than onlys few very
    basic math.

    I actually think about releasing the blog software since it has a very
    simple but powerfull setup and can be made compatible with excisting
    databases.

    1 & 2 > Background/colors are personal taste. I will never be able to
    please all. With 12 images, 1 sheet, 4 splash videos, and 2 other
    scripts I can (entirely) sidewide change the look and feel completly.
    Just like Google I have prepared special themes on events like haloween,
    valentines-day, etc. The first event-theme is allready finished and will
    run during UNICON.

    3 > The broken back button bothers me a lot. I also would like better
    javascripts on it. It could make it a simple 2 steps But I don't want
    javascript or cookies as an dependecy. Also the pdf filesize is yet way
    too big.

    4 > I'm 3D; Dislectic, Dumb, and Dutch
    Which means my native language is Dutch. I speak English, German, French
    and even some Finish. I've performed in all those languages.

    Most horrible mistake I ever made was dividing friends in boyfriends and
    girlfriends since there are seperate words for fe/male friend in all
    mentioned languages... except english.

    Opposit I once was not happy when a gay-oriented friend of me introduced
    me to his neightbour as "his friend" which has in Dutch a meaning which
    is not really what he tried to express... oups.

    I know my grammer sucks more than my spelling does. And that it affects
    my shows a lot.
    But those errors shows I'm human. While using spell checkers expose me
    better off than I really am.

    The moto of Adam Curry his Dutch website is "'Spellchecken is for
    sissies' (http://tinyurl.com/2nnof)". While he's from the USA serious
    posts on his Dutch Blog more than often turned out into ring-fights of
    spell-checkers. And so killed a lot of usefull discussions.
    I'm teached en-uk but the en-us influence turned me more into en-int:
    Saddle or seat?

    Teresa saved me from horrible errors during setting up things. I
    repeatedly wrote "standart" (which is almost Dutch spelling).

    But what about Bush today: "as Turkey meets the Human Rights the EU
    should..."
    should have been: "if Turkey meets the Human Rights the EU should..."
    If (according Klaas Bill) Rumsfeld rides an unicycle, and Bush make's
    lot of language-errors.... why can't I do both?
    There a worser things to harm the world. Oups, let's avoid politics.

    Anyway if I validate my css, xhtml, rss, atom, and more I should do
    spellchecking as well. But that will make editing even more time
    consuming. Time I need hard on other things.

    5 > The script make's a horrible lot of processes. During the
    development it sometimes took over 28 seconds.
    Have a look at the source... That XML thing is an excellent idea! But
    uploading stuff is risky business.
    I've noticed an tremendous boost of cross-site-scripting bug-tracks on
    port 80 right after the launch.
    I even had requests for formmail exploits as 'explained by me before'
    (http://tinyurl.com/2949v).
    Still I dare to come up with some XML (or like) thing.

    Further I appreciate all complaints. I only can eliminate errors if I
    know the excistance. Please don't be shy to use the comments field on
    the post "First post".

    --
    leo - errorist

    Leo Vandewoestijne [-lay?oh! fun-duh-wwho-styne-uhh-]
    'unicycle.net' (http://www.unicycle.net/)
    866-UNI-CYCL
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    leo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/224
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/33451

  18. Cool! Things are working in Mozilla 1.7 and Firefox 0.9 now.

    I did get an XML parsing error when trying to play the video of Dustin
    Kelm doing the side ride on a giraffe. And also with Julien doing the
    sideways seat drag.

    The site is very much needed. I've been wishing for some place that had
    video clips of all the different skills. For example, people here have
    asked questions like what is a side ride. Trying to explain what a side
    ride is without a video is pretty much pointless.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com
    Gallery: '' (http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/john_childs)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    john_childs's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/449
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/33451

  19. Leo,

    What sorts of muni and trials videos are you looking for? What would
    you consider useful footage?

    Andrew

    --
    andrew_carter - Quit jivin' me, turkey!

    HTTP://WWW.UNICYCLIST.COM/GALLERY/ANDREW
    andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
    http://www.unicycles.com.au
    Unicycling Tips and Tutorials - http://www.unicycle.2ya.com
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    andrew_carter's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1052
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/33451

  20. leo said:

    *
    4 > I'm 3D; Dislectic, Dumb, and Dutch
    Which means my native language is Dutch. I speak English, German,
    French and even some Finish. I've performed in all those languages.
    *

    Well, I guess most of us should be very thankful you didn't choose one
    of your other languages to use, except for the videos I would be lost.

    Being married to an "English as Third Language" person, I am amazed that
    anyone could learn and maintain in their heads more than one at a time.

    Great effort!

    --
    iunicycle - Old back, new cricks
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    iunicycle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1869
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/33451

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.