rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Best Way to Protect Seat?

Started by Moogs · · Last activity · 9 posts · 308 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
22 April 2005
Last activity
22 April 2005
Original author
Moogs
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
308
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I know this isn't entirely necessary, but I'd like to keep my
    brand-spankin'-new Fusion seat looking that way. I put duct tape on the
    front and back of my old seat to prevent it from getting chewed up in
    falls, but I think it's especially important now that I have a handle,
    if the handle gets chewed up it could hurt my hand when I try to grab
    it. What do you guys do to protect your seat from falling and damaging
    it?

    --
    Moogs
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Moogs's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9535
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39796

  2. Go naked. You can always knock down the rough spots with a heavy grit
    sand paper.

    --
    pdc - That's my boy!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    pdc's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8160
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39796

  3. Putting duct tape on your handle to keep it "looking new" is like
    putting plastic covers on your sofa; I'd rather have something become
    ugly through use than start out ugly.

    --
    tholub - Kinetic Sculptor
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    tholub's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/804
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39796

  4. Let the seat take its knocks. The plastic handle can take it. It's not
    going to get chewed up so much that it will hurt your hand. Replacement
    KH handles are only $9 anyways.

    It's the people who do seat drags outside on pavement or concrete that
    have to worry about grinding away their front or rear bumpers. The rest
    of us don't worry about it at all.

    I've got black hockey tape on my muni handle and bumper, but that's only
    to cover up the ugly Miyata green rather than to offer any protection.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
    Gallery: '' (http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/john_childs)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    john_childs's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/449
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39796

  5. Moogs said:

    *I know this isn't entirely necessary, but I'd like to keep my
    brand-spankin'-new Fusion seat looking that way. I put duct tape on
    the front and back of my old seat to prevent it from getting chewed up
    in falls, but I think it's especially important now that I have a
    handle, if the handle gets chewed up it could hurt my hand when I try
    to grab it. What do you guys do to protect your seat from falling and
    damaging it? *

    Fall? Why fall? Just stay up.

    --
    harper - TANKED at GASWORKS

    -Greg Harper

    B L U E S H I F T

    "My world view has come crashing down like a drunk clown on a giraffe,
    riding through a cactus patch..." -evil-nick on "Entry of the
    Gladiators"
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    harper's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/426
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39796

  6. My Muni looks like someone lashed it with chains, especially the seat--
    visual proof of my countless wrecks and encounters with rocks.

    Unicycling is an action sport. Allow your rig to proudly bear the scars
    of your glory. And buy a 10 buck front bumper every 6 months or so if
    need be.

    JL

    --
    vivalargo - Santa Barbara Unicycle Club
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    vivalargo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5625
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39796

  7. If you have to tape your seat, use electric tape. If you do a realy
    nice job of it, you can hardly tell it's there.

    --
    halfbike - Obsessed Rider

    Every great person has a signature. This is mine.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    halfbike's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9428
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39796

  8. I have a KH saddle and I do seat drags on rough cement all the time. My
    bumpers are worn down a lot, and the edge on the front one is a little
    sharp, but it's not too much of a problem, and I think they still have a
    long ways to drag before they need changing. I did crack the back
    bumper, because I had been trying to ride normally, then punch the front
    bumper and go directly into seat drag in back, but that's another
    matter.

    I am constantly amazed at how many rough falls my seat has gone through
    without any damage. Unicycle saddles are very tough.

    --
    jsm - Freestyler

    Help edit the Unicyclopedia!
    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    jsm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6911
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39796

  9. and DON'T do this:

    +----------------------------------------------------------------+
    | Attachment filename: 106_0675.jpg |
    |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/302291|
    +----------------------------------------------------------------+

    --
    Murde Mental - Unicycling Martyr

    I own Total_Uni's soul
    and yes this means I also own your soul Evan_Byrne.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Murde Mental's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4463
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/39796

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.