Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Best serious non-leather saddles.

Started by Nate Knutson · · Last activity · 10 posts · 794 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
15 June 2004
Last activity
19 June 2004
Original author
Nate Knutson
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
794
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. What are the all-synthetic saddles people have had the best luck with
    for touring, commuting, etc? Most of the more intelligent ones outside
    of the realm of suspended leather all have leather covers anyway. I'm
    built pretty wide in back too, so I've found that wider saddles
    contact my sit bones more. I favor touring/commuting position setups
    that are somewhat on the upright side. I've been riding a WTB Speed-V
    for about a year, and it definitely seems to be among the better of
    its class (cheap, all-synthetic, yet made to actually be used rather
    than be an easy sell), but it does start hurting me after a while.
    What I'm after doesn't have to be cheap but it needs to be wide,
    non-leather, and not overly padded. Anybody know what I'm missing?

    Thanks

    PS: No obvious "Give up and get a Brooks," or "What are
    vegans/vegetarians on about, anyway?" comments, plz.

  2. [email hidden] (Nate Knutson) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    What are the all-synthetic saddles people have had the best luck with
    for touring, commuting, etc?

    I've been very happy with my Flow saddle from Saddleco, which meets
    all your criteria.

    Fred Roses

  3. Nate Knutson said:

    What are the all-synthetic saddles people have had the best luck with
    for touring, commuting, etc?

    I think some of the Terry *-fly saddles have synthetic covers (dragonfly,
    butterfly, etc.) I use the original Fly myself, and love it. But it has
    a leather cover.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by
    _`\(,_ | little statesmen and philosophers and divines. --Ralph Waldo
    (_)/ (_) | Emerson

  4. [email hidden] (Nate Knutson) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    What are the all-synthetic saddles people have had the best luck with
    for touring, commuting, etc? Most of the more intelligent ones outside
    of the realm of suspended leather all have leather covers anyway. I'm
    built pretty wide in back too, so I've found that wider saddles
    contact my sit bones more. I favor touring/commuting position setups
    that are somewhat on the upright side. I've been riding a WTB Speed-V
    for about a year, and it definitely seems to be among the better of
    its class (cheap, all-synthetic, yet made to actually be used rather
    than be an easy sell), but it does start hurting me after a while.
    What I'm after doesn't have to be cheap but it needs to be wide,
    non-leather, and not overly padded. Anybody know what I'm missing?

    Thanks

    PS: No obvious "Give up and get a Brooks," or "What are
    vegans/vegetarians on about, anyway?" comments, plz.

    I like the size and shape of the Avocet Men's O2 Air saddle. $49 at
    Cambria, which seems to be the only mail order place that carries it
    these days: http://www.cambriabike.com/saddles/saddles.htm

  5. [email hidden] (Nate Knutson) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    What are the all-synthetic saddles people have had the best luck with
    for touring, commuting, etc? Most of the more intelligent ones outside
    of the realm of suspended leather all have leather covers anyway. I'm
    built pretty wide in back too, so I've found that wider saddles
    contact my sit bones more. I favor touring/commuting position setups
    that are somewhat on the upright side. I've been riding a WTB Speed-V
    for about a year, and it definitely seems to be among the better of
    its class (cheap, all-synthetic, yet made to actually be used rather
    than be an easy sell), but it does start hurting me after a while.
    What I'm after doesn't have to be cheap but it needs to be wide,
    non-leather, and not overly padded. Anybody know what I'm missing?

    Thanks

    PS: No obvious "Give up and get a Brooks," or "What are
    vegans/vegetarians on about, anyway?" comments, plz.

    I forgot to add in my previous message that the synthetic leather on
    the Avocet is not very good -- there's a vinyl-y outer layer (giving
    it the look of leather) that began wearing off after a few months of
    use. Underneath is some kind of fabric that seems to be reasonably
    tough.

  6. He said serious.

    Greg
    --
    Destroy your safe and happy lives
    Before it is too late
    The battles we fought were long and hard
    Just not to be consumed by rock'n'roll

  7. [email hidden] (Nate Knutson) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    What are the all-synthetic saddles people have had the best luck with
    for touring, commuting, etc? Most of the more intelligent ones outside
    of the realm of suspended leather all have leather covers anyway. I'm
    built pretty wide in back too, so I've found that wider saddles
    contact my sit bones more. I favor touring/commuting position setups
    that are somewhat on the upright side. I've been riding a WTB Speed-V
    for about a year, and it definitely seems to be among the better of
    its class (cheap, all-synthetic, yet made to actually be used rather
    than be an easy sell), but it does start hurting me after a while.
    What I'm after doesn't have to be cheap but it needs to be wide,
    non-leather, and not overly padded. Anybody know what I'm missing?

    Thanks

    Saddles (seats) are a very individual thing. For the most part it's a
    process of trial and error until you find one that fits your
    particular anatomy and position.

    FWIW: For many years I tried all of the recommendations, including
    Brooks saddles. Nothing worked, so I went recumbent. A couple years
    ago I got a mountain bike, which eventually received a WTB saddle.
    *That* saddle on *that* bike is the most comfortable I've been on an
    upright in 20 years. I now have 3 WTB saddles on 3 of 4 uprights, in
    addition to 2 recumbents.

    Jeff

  8. [email hidden] (Nate Knutson) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    What are the all-synthetic saddles people have had the best luck with
    for touring, commuting, etc? Most of the more intelligent ones outside
    of the realm of suspended leather all have leather covers anyway. I'm
    built pretty wide in back too, so I've found that wider saddles
    contact my sit bones more. I favor touring/commuting position setups
    that are somewhat on the upright side. I've been riding a WTB Speed-V
    for about a year, and it definitely seems to be among the better of
    its class (cheap, all-synthetic, yet made to actually be used rather
    than be an easy sell), but it does start hurting me after a while.
    What I'm after doesn't have to be cheap but it needs to be wide,
    non-leather, and not overly padded. Anybody know what I'm missing?

    Thanks


    Need a *wide*, non-leather saddle? Get an Avocet O2W. Yes, its listed
    as a "women" model, but its wide (women version is 7.0 inches wide;
    men's version is 6.3 inches; racing version is 5.6 inches) and comfy
    and some men do actually ride it. Its available with both cro-moly and
    ti rails. For more, see here:

    http://www.avocet.com/saddlefeatures/o2sadfea.html

  9. -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Nate Knutson said:

    What are the all-synthetic saddles people have had the best luck with
    for touring, commuting, etc? Most of the more intelligent ones outside
    of the realm of suspended leather all have leather covers anyway. I'm
    built pretty wide in back too, so I've found that wider saddles
    contact my sit bones more. I favor touring/commuting position setups
    that are somewhat on the upright side. I've been riding a WTB Speed-V
    for about a year, and it definitely seems to be among the better of
    its class (cheap, all-synthetic, yet made to actually be used rather
    than be an easy sell), but it does start hurting me after a while.
    What I'm after doesn't have to be cheap but it needs to be wide,
    non-leather, and not overly padded. Anybody know what I'm missing?

    _ If you like the Speed-V, why not try the next widest in their
    range, The Rocket-V ? The longest I've been on it is about 4 hrs,
    but for me it's the most comfortable saddle I've ever used. I
    don't know how serious it is, but it's not my butt that's
    complaining after 4 hours, but my legs.

    _ Booker C. Bense

    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: 2.6.2

    iQCVAwUBQNHiSmTWTAjn5N/lAQEEUQP/dyzKdmDfFD3jDjEOZgcVwQ4UEqgtWutH
    vLS7xfqcwVx0qE+nVFe9607QwKyZQC80AlB/zEMzcyMIbu0C9uK3AD3MfNeMx/mD
    Od1kdWEqhw3CO6EI84EZPCVlJMqxtVHp30DgPK8JMQLnAkERX77QHZi7kP5WHvzL
    4UgyehBfFm4=
    =R45E
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

  10. "David L. Johnson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Nate Knutson said:

    What are the all-synthetic saddles people have had the best luck with
    for touring, commuting, etc?

    I think some of the Terry *-fly saddles have synthetic covers (dragonfly,
    butterfly, etc.) I use the original Fly myself, and love it. But it has
    a leather cover.


    ---------------------------

    I didnt care weather (whether) it was leather or synthetic... tried
    several terrys, including the ladies when I was buying for my wife's
    bike.... and I found the terrys to be good, but kinda convex feeling
    versus the concave feeling of the WTB designs. I prefer the feeling of
    settling into a hollow slightly versus the Terrys where I felt like I
    was sliding off the top of a ball kinda.

    anyway, WTB has become my favorite for road and MTB.

    d

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.