Singlespeed · Public discussion

Best places to find and old frame

Started by classic · · Last activity · 7 posts · 6,303 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Singlespeed
Published
29 July 2009
Last activity
30 July 2009
Original author
classic
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
6,303
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I am having a real tough time finding any old steel frames for my attempt at a ss/fix. mostly womens, kids and old mountain bikes. I have seen more out on the road but it's probably because I am looking more. Is it possibly the area that I live in? Small town in upsate NY, I have to believe they are out there just no luck yet! Where do most of you find frame to build on? 😕

  2. classic said:

    I am having a real tough time finding any old steel frames for my attempt at a ss/fix. mostly womens, kids and old mountain bikes. I have seen more out on the road but it's probably because I am looking more. Is it possibly the area that I live in? Small town in upsate NY, I have to believe they are out there just no luck yet! Where do most of you find frame to build on? 😕

    You can use ANY frame for a Single Speed or a Fixie ...

    SURLY makes flip-flop hubs in various widths -- 126mm to 135mm.

    MICHE makes flip-flop hubs which I think have 130mm spacing.

    WHITE INDUSTRIES has a special (ENO) hub with an eccentric axle for use on frames with vertical dropouts.

    If you really want an old steel frame & can't find one at a local Goodwill store, then you'll have to buy it through eBay.

    BTW. A lot of the old frames which you think you want use 27" tires ... that means that the brake calipers are another issue if you decide to use 700c wheels.

  3. Thanks, for the info I will continue to search the local Goodwill shops and yard sales. I even went to a bike shop that deals mainly in older used bikes and he didn't have any...oh well. Living in a small city environment is great but there are times...🙄

  4. classic said:

    Thanks, for the info I will continue to search the local Goodwill shops and yard sales. I even went to a bike shop that deals mainly in older used bikes and he didn't have any...oh well. Living in a small city environment is great but there are times...🙄

    How far are you from Buffalo?

    How much/little do you want to spend?

    Do you know which wheel size you want to use?

    Are you already mechanically prepared to do the conversion OR is this going to be a learn-as-you-go endeavor?

    Initially, while you are looking for the 'ideal' frame, why don't use the "old Indian Camleback bike" you salvaged for your SS/Fixie? I'm pretty sure the older, balloon tire bike frames have clearance for a 700c wheel/tire.

    Presuming the Indian frame has an American/Ashtabula BB, you can get an Ashtabula-to-English adapter for ~$25 (DANSCOMP, amongst other places) if you want to change cranks OR if the crank is absent.

  5. The answers to your quetions in red!

    alfeng said:

    How far are you from Buffalo? too far three hours, my next search would be Ithaca, i should be able to find something depending on the cost!

    How much/little do you want to spend? I guess around $100 tops

    Do you know which wheel size you want to use? I have 700c that I can use from my old Pinerello, I would just put the old tubular's back on that

    Are you already mechanically prepared to do the conversion OR is this going to be a learn-as-you-go endeavor? I can handle the whole mechanical, paint if I want etc. time is another thing 😉

    Initially, while you are looking for the 'ideal' frame, why don't use the "old Indian Camleback bike" you salvaged for your SS/Fixie? I'm pretty sure the older, balloon tire bike frames have clearance for a 700c wheel/tire. The indian dates back to possibly the late 1800's and is a single speed coster brake, wooden wheeled bike. I wouldn't basdardize that for what I want for a ss/fix. It is a relic and deserves the best I can do for it for lasting so long even if it means nothing at all and donating to a bike museum 😄

    Presuming the Indian frame has an American/Ashtabula BB, you can get an Ashtabula-to-English adapter for ~$25 (DANSCOMP, amongst other places) if you want to change cranks OR if the crank is absent.

  6. classic said:

    The answers to your quetions in red!

    Sorry, does that mean you want to spend $100 for just the frame/fork OR for the entire SS/Fixie project?!?

    I honestly don't understand what you want -- a "show" SS to ride down to Starbuck's on OR a useable SS.

    Why can't you just sort out the limited drivetrain components on ANY frame whose size is close-enough to your Pinarello's frame?

    Besides, aren't you going to strip all the parts off the Indian to clean it up, etc.?

    So, to temporarily sort out the drivetrain on the Indian OR a "woman's bike" wouldn't be the permanent travesty that you seem to think I am suggesting you undertake.

    What is the rear spacing on the Indian -- 110mm?

    If your Pinarello uses a freewheel, then you just need to re-dish the wheel & add a BMX freewheel. Some people apparently don't bother to redish the rear wheel.

    If you want to build a Fixie, you're probably going to be spending between $75-to-$150 for a set of flip-flop OR track hubs.

    As I said, there are suitable flip-flop hubs in various spacings from 126mm-to-135mm, so there is no reason you can't use your Pinarello frame for a few weeks ... just remove the derailleurs & derailleur cables, install a shorter chain, remove one of the chainrings, and go.

    Qualms about stripping your Pinarello of its parts? Just think of it as a temporary strip-down for cleaning & re-greasing.

  7. Good questions!

    alfeng said:

    Sorry, does that mean you want to spend $100 for just the frame/fork OR for the entire SS/Fixie project?!? Frame/bike I will be building my own rear wheel.

    I honestly don't understand what you want -- a "show" SS to ride down to Starbuck's on OR a useable SS. We don't have a Starbucks 'round here, ok we do but it is too far to run down to to grab a cup! I want a usable ss which brings me to your next questions!

    Why can't you just sort out the limited drivetrain components on ANY frame whose size is close-enough to your Pinarello's frame? I could...

    Besides, aren't you going to strip all the parts off the Indian to clean it up, etc.? (looks similar to the below shot, but no tank and lower/second top tube, and much worse shape) Maybe but it is truly a piece of history and I am old enough to appreciate that more now that I am getting older. The Indian I believe is pretty much intact and may be a very nice museum piece for donation!

    So, to temporarily sort out the drivetrain on the Indian OR a "woman's bike" wouldn't be the permanent travesty that you seem to think I am suggesting you undertake.

    What is the rear spacing on the Indian -- 110mm? No idea, just found it last weekend, all I have done is sponge it of with water to identify and make some inquiries to "experts"

    If your Pinarello uses a freewheel, then you just need to re-dish the wheel & add a BMX freewheel. Some people apparently don't bother to redish the rear wheel.

    If you want to build a Fixie, you're probably going to be spending between $75-to-$150 for a set of flip-flop OR track hubs.

    As I said, there are suitable flip-flop hubs in various spacings from 126mm-to-135mm, so there is no reason you can't use your Pinarello frame for a few weeks ... just remove the derailleurs & derailleur cables, install a shorter chain, remove one of the chainrings, and go.

    Qualms about stripping your Pinarello of its parts? Just think of it as a temporary strip-down for cleaning & re-greasing. Now that is a great way of looking at it, I must admit that I am having a hard time wanting to strip the pinarello down! :o
    Part of this whole thing is to have another bike that I built, (I know I could just go out and buy one) so I could grab it and go, not taking a perfectly good bike and disassembling it to maybe rebuild one day. No I am not a purist and agree that any thing to get you out is better than none!
    I guess my original question should have been where did everyone else get there frames/bikes to build there ss/fix? Dumpster diving? Local bike shop that still deals in older bikes? Craig's list?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.