Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Best front derailleur for half step plus granny

Started by Russell Seaton · · Last activity · 22 posts · 2,125 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
26 June 2004
Last activity
6 July 2004
Original author
Russell Seaton
Posts
22
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,125
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–22 of 22
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. (Russell Seaton) said:

    I've run the numbers on my spreadsheet using my existing
    14-16-18-21-24-28-34 7 speed cassette and a 42-39 did not
    work well. 42-40 worked better. The best chainring setup
    I've found with the above 7 speed setup is the 48-45 half
    step. The 42-40 setup just did not produce enough jump
    between successive gears. Your 12-28 7 speed cassette is
    the same as the above cassette except you have a 12 instead
    of a 34 or 32.

    Couple of things, including a retraction/correction.

    1) I was able to dig out the specs from my old set up. It
    was (to my astonishment) a 50/46/24, very close to your
    preferred 48/45. I musta had young legs once. Note: I
    used it with a 13-32 6-speed cassette.

    2) I'm not seeing the pit falls of the 42/39 yet, other than
    the really low gearing. My casual review of the gear
    charts (generated from Sheldon's very cool site) suggest
    that any 3 tooth jump on the chain rings gets you really
    close with most off the shelf cassettes. More important I
    would think, is whether or not the general size of the
    chain rings is getting the basic range of gears desired.
    I think your 48/45 is probably better in this regard.

    3) I'm still getting my head around your desire for running
    a 24t chain ring with 24 - 18 cogs. My gear charts
    (again, taken from Sheldon's site) indicate this is in
    the gear inch range of 26 to 39 inches or so. It looks
    to me that this run of gears is available with a 36t
    chain ring on 34 - 28t cogs. If you want something close
    to a steady set of step (full, half or what have you)
    from a 20 inch gear up to 100 inch gear, perhaps a more
    standard alpine gearing would work for you like a
    48/36/24. I just think you really beg problems as soon
    as your rear cogs get to be the same size as your granny
    or smaller.

    Quoted message said:

    Harris Cyclery carries 110mm bcd chainrings in every size.
    Including 41 and 45 teeth. Both T.A. brand, expensive, and
    a cheap BMX brand.

    Excellent. Thanks.

    -- Dave
    ==============================================
    "It is impossible, or not easy, to do noble acts without
    the proper equipment." Aristotle, <<Politics>>, 1323a-b,
    trans Jowett
    ==============================================

  2. Quoted message said:

    2) I'm not seeing the pit falls of the 42/39 yet, other
    than the really low gearing. My casual review of the
    gear charts (generated from Sheldon's very cool site)
    suggest that any 3 tooth jump on the chain rings gets
    you really close with most off the shelf cassettes.
    More important I would think, is whether or not the
    general size of the chain rings is getting the basic
    range of gears desired. I think your 48/45 is probably
    better in this regard.

    I reran the numbers last night using a 42-39, 45-42, and 48-
    45 half steps coupled with 14-16-18-21-24-28-32(34) seven
    speed off the shelf cassettes and 12-14-16-18-20-23-26-30-34
    nine speed off the shelf cassettes. And the 42-39, 45-42,
    and 48-45 chainrings work pretty well. I think the 45-42
    works best for me. But my current 48-45 and your 42-39 are
    just fine too. I now think I will get a 42 chainring and go
    with 45-42 half step chainrings. And stay with my current
    seven speed 14-16-18-21-24-28-34 cassette. And not spend the
    money yet for a nine speed setup.

    In answer to a post by another, off the shelf cassettes are
    what appeal to me. Buy a seven speed 14-32 or nine speed 12-
    34 from Nashbar and put it on the bike and ride.

    Quoted message said:

    3) I'm still getting my head around your desire for
    running a 24t chain ring with 24 - 18 cogs. My gear
    charts (again, taken from Sheldon's site) indicate
    this is in the gear inch range of 26 to 39 inches or
    so. It looks to me that this run of gears is available
    with a 36t chain ring on 34 - 28t cogs. If you want
    something close to a steady set of step (full, half or
    what have you) from a 20 inch gear up to 100 inch
    gear, perhaps a more standard alpine gearing would
    work for you like a 48/36/24. I just think you really
    beg problems as soon as your rear cogs get to be the
    same size as your granny or smaller.

    I have a 20 tooth inner chainring. 20 tooth. I love really
    low gears. A 20 inner chainring gives me a 16 gear inch low
    when using my 34 rear cog. If I were to use a normal 24
    inner chainring, then I would only have a 19 gear inch low
    instead of my current 16 gear inch low. Not as good.

    I am going to run chainrings of 45-42-20. I currently run
    48-45-20. In the past I used a 24 tooth inner chainring. But
    the 20 tooth inner chainring gives me even lower low gears
    for no extra effort.

    When I run 45-42-20 chainrings with my current 14-16-18-21-24-
    34 seven speed cassette cogs, I will have a high gear of 87
    gear inches. Not too high but I reckon I can live with it
    when touring loaded. I could also purchase a 12-14-16-18-21-24-
    28 seven speed off the shelf cassette from Nashbar for $18
    to run half step and get a high gear of 101 gear inches and
    a low of 19 gear inches when coupled with my soon to be 45-42-
    20 chainrings.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.