Road Cycling · Public discussion

Best Cities to Ride

Started by JoeD · · Last activity · 58 posts · 3,240 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
13 March 2005
Last activity
21 March 2005
Original author
JoeD
Posts
58
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,240
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 58
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi,

    I live in NYC and am thinking of moving out of this area in the future.
    I am starting to look now for any city that would be bicycle friendly. I
    am leaning towards the Southwest of the country like NM, with its warmer
    climate and cheaper health insurance but I am open to any suggestions.
    I use my bike to, commute to work (20m RT), local shopping, long day
    trips and just getting around even though I have a car. I average about
    5k a year.
    Either because I have been careful, plain lucky or a bit of both, I have
    never had a serious problem in my 45 years of riding in the streets
    competing with the cars, trucks, cabs and the dreaded pedestrians. I am
    mentioning this because I am not afraid of city traffic. Highway traffic
    is whole nother story since I want to live to ride another 45 years.

    Would anyone living in or knowing about bicycle friendly cities, want
    another cyclist sharing the roads with them. I would promise to say "Hi"
    as I pass you or vice versa.

  2. JoeD <[email hidden]> wrote in news:lJ0Zd.2668$qf2.2314
    @newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

    Quoted message said:

    I live in NYC and am thinking of moving out of this area in the future.
    I am starting to look now for any city that would be bicycle friendly.

    To me, "bike friendly" means you can ride every day of the year. That rules
    out the snow belt. Some people would also rule out the humidity belt (aka, the
    southeast and gulf states). The west coast has pretty good year-round weather.
    There are lots of college towns in California with excellent bike route
    systems.

  3. "JoeD" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi,

    I live in NYC and am thinking of moving out of this area in the future.
    I am starting to look now for any city that would be bicycle friendly. I
    am leaning towards the Southwest of the country like NM, with its warmer
    climate and cheaper health insurance but I am open to any suggestions.
    I use my bike to, commute to work (20m RT), local shopping, long day
    trips and just getting around even though I have a car. I average about
    5k a year.
    Either because I have been careful, plain lucky or a bit of both, I have
    never had a serious problem in my 45 years of riding in the streets
    competing with the cars, trucks, cabs and the dreaded pedestrians. I am
    mentioning this because I am not afraid of city traffic. Highway traffic
    is whole nother story since I want to live to ride another 45 years.

    Would anyone living in or knowing about bicycle friendly cities, want
    another cyclist sharing the roads with them. I would promise to say "Hi"
    as I pass you or vice versa.


    Interesting, I live in Florida, and was thinking about the southwest also.
    Somewhere in the neighborhood of AZ, NM, NV or southern CA.

    Ken

  4. When I meant bicycle friendly, that means the city government provides
    bike lanes, proper signs, bridge access, law enforcement etc. and the
    driving public generally respects a cyclists right of way. I've already
    mentioned that I am leaning towards the SW because it is warm. Riding
    year round is nice but not a requirement. I do want dry weather at least
    9 to 10 months a year. The land needs rain for things to grow so rain
    is ok sometimes but not all the times. Cold doesn't bother me too much.
    I ride to work in 25 degrees with wind chill factor of 10 to 15 so if
    the mornings and evenings drop to 40 or 50, that's ok, if I'm dressed
    for it.

    Love to hear from some of you with concrete city (not state) suggestions.

    JoeD said:

    Hi,

    I live in NYC and am thinking of moving out of this area in the
    future. I am starting to look now for any city that would be bicycle
    friendly. I am leaning towards the Southwest of the country like NM,
    with its warmer climate and cheaper health insurance but I am open to
    any suggestions.
    I use my bike to, commute to work (20m RT), local shopping, long day
    trips and just getting around even though I have a car. I average
    about 5k a year.
    Either because I have been careful, plain lucky or a bit of both, I
    have never had a serious problem in my 45 years of riding in the
    streets competing with the cars, trucks, cabs and the dreaded
    pedestrians. I am mentioning this because I am not afraid of city
    traffic. Highway traffic is whole nother story since I want to live to
    ride another 45 years.

    Would anyone living in or knowing about bicycle friendly cities, want
    another cyclist sharing the roads with them. I would promise to say
    "Hi" as I pass you or vice versa.

  5. Ken Marcet said:

    "JoeD" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Would anyone living in or knowing about bicycle friendly cities, want
    another cyclist sharing the roads with them. I would promise to say
    "Hi" as I pass you or vice versa.

    Quoted message said:

    Interesting, I live in Florida, and was thinking about the southwest
    also. Somewhere in the neighborhood of AZ, NM, NV or southern CA.

    As a lifetime resident until recently, I can say southern CA has pretty good
    biking if you already live there, but I wouldn't move there for it. Roads are
    generally wide and there's a good network of bike paths, but to me it's
    unaesthetic and boring from a road rider's perspective. I enjoyed the mountain
    biking a lot more, but again, I wouldn't move there for it. That said, San
    Diego has arguably the best climate in the world, and probably the best biking
    in southern CA. Triathletes, etc., flock to San Diego so they can train all
    year.

    Almost anywhere you'd want to live in CA is expensive and crowded.

    I can't say enough about the biking where I live now, in southwest VA. Although
    we have winter, there are just a few days a year where it's below freezing
    during the day. It's rare the weather and roads are bad for cycling for more
    than three days in a row. There are times where it's cold and snowy for a week
    or so, but it's just one or two episodes a year. This winter we've been spared
    completely. So while fewer people ride all year, there's no reason not to.
    I've lived in Blacksburg for a couple of years now with no car. My bike is my
    primary transportation. Except for (or because of) the hills, the town is
    perfectly stuited for it. Blacksburg has been featured many times in "best
    places to live" articles.

    For anyone who wants to sample the biking in Southwest VA, the perfect
    opportunity is our club's Mountains of Misery and Wilderness Road Ride
    doubleheader:

    http://www.mountainsofmisery.com/

    The MoM ride in particular follows some of the most beautiful roads in the area,
    through Giles and Craig counties. Coincidentally I asked a couple of riders
    today how the Mt. Mitchell ride compares to the MoM. They all agreed the MoM
    double metric is probably harder, but more interesting. But there's also a
    regular century, with two big climbs instead of four, over mostly the same
    roads. The WRR has something for everyone, from an easy spin around Radford to
    a pretty demanding 70 miler.

    Another good one, especially for a flatlander, is the Burke's Garden century in
    August. It's the same beautiful Appalachian landscape, but the route follows a
    valley most of the way. It does climb a couple thousand feet but it's steady
    over the whole route, with the return trip being downhill. Many people do this
    ride with over a 20 MPH average, but of course you can take all day if you want
    to.

    We're also just a half hour's drive from the Blue Ridge Parkway, one of the best
    cycling roads in the country. Also nearby is the New River Trail, a 57 mile
    rail trail following the New River. There's plenty of mountain biking around
    too, within easy riding distance.

    So, come do one of our rides! If you want to come ride another time, our club
    has several rides going on every week, and plenty of friendly people to show you
    around:

    www.nrvbike.com

    Feel free to email for more info.

    Matt O.

  6. "JoeD" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    When I meant bicycle friendly, that means the city government provides
    bike lanes, proper signs, bridge access, law enforcement etc. and the
    driving public generally respects a cyclists right of way. I've already
    mentioned that I am leaning towards the SW because it is warm. Riding
    year round is nice but not a requirement. I do want dry weather at least 9
    to 10 months a year. The land needs rain for things to grow so rain is ok
    sometimes but not all the times. Cold doesn't bother me too much. I ride
    to work in 25 degrees with wind chill factor of 10 to 15 so if the
    mornings and evenings drop to 40 or 50, that's ok, if I'm dressed for it.

    Love to hear from some of you with concrete city (not state) suggestions.

    JoeD said:

    Hi,

    I live in NYC and am thinking of moving out of this area in the future. I
    am starting to look now for any city that would be bicycle friendly. I am
    leaning towards the Southwest of the country like NM, with its warmer
    climate and cheaper health insurance but I am open to any suggestions.
    I use my bike to, commute to work (20m RT), local shopping, long day
    trips and just getting around even though I have a car. I average about
    5k a year.
    Either because I have been careful, plain lucky or a bit of both, I have
    never had a serious problem in my 45 years of riding in the streets
    competing with the cars, trucks, cabs and the dreaded pedestrians. I am
    mentioning this because I am not afraid of city traffic. Highway traffic
    is whole nother story since I want to live to ride another 45 years.

    Would anyone living in or knowing about bicycle friendly cities, want
    another cyclist sharing the roads with them. I would promise to say "Hi"
    as I pass you or vice versa.


    Well, I have started to get used to the cycling around the Dallas Forth
    Worth area in Texas.
    The winters are mild, but the summers can get hot and humid, hydrate youself
    a lot.
    And although it has it's problems, good days and bad days, the riding is
    actually pretty good.
    A number of cities in the metroplex have posted bike routes on the regular
    roads and they have still built pretty good bike paths too.
    The bike paths they build are not the "lame crappy painted on the side of
    the road" bike paths you see in California either, they actually
    go to the trouble to pour reinforced steel concrete paths. So you can have
    the choice of braving the roads and traffic or taking a path without a lot
    of traffic.
    But I wish the cities could get together and have more interconnected bike
    paths though.
    Also a big plus the police generally cut you a lot of slack if you run a
    stop sign too, unless you hit something like a car. But be safe doing it as
    they could give you a ticket if they want to. You still have to obey the
    traffic laws like a car.
    Last Saturday, I went on a MS150 training ride in Cedar Hill Texas, where we
    rode down and around Joe Pool Lake, and there were many many cyclists out
    riding all over too, not just on the training ride. It was a good killer
    road ride, something like 8 miles of going uphill on the way back.
    Basically south of Dallas it gets hilly and North of Dallas it is more flat.
    I haven't tried it yet, but they also say the bike riding down in Austin
    Texas is pretty good too.
    You still encounter the idiot or moron car driver, but for the most part all
    the car drivers are pretty nice, and many will slow down or yeild the right
    of way to you.
    Your welcome to the area, I'll say hi if I see you around and about.

  7. Ken said:

    JoeD <[email hidden]> wrote in news:lJ0Zd.2668$qf2.2314
    @newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

    Quoted message said:

    I live in NYC and am thinking of moving out of this area in the


    future.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I am starting to look now for any city that would be bicycle


    friendly.

    Quoted message said:


    To me, "bike friendly" means you can ride every day of the year.


    That rules

    Quoted message said:

    out the snow belt.

    Not really, lot's of people ride year 'round in nothern climates. It's
    just a matter of having the right clothes and equipment.

  8. : To me, "bike friendly" means you can ride every day of the year. That
    rules
    : out the snow belt. Some people would also rule out the humidity belt
    (aka, the
    : southeast and gulf states). The west coast has pretty good year-round
    weather.
    : There are lots of college towns in California with excellent bike route
    : systems.

    Well, then, you had better rule out the Midwest and Texas--and maybe
    Arizona, too, because we get this god-awful wind that will blow you over if
    it catches you broadside....

    Pat in TX

  9. As others have said, the SW has some issues, at least in the major
    cities. I have lived in Arizona, NM, and Texas and none of the big
    name cities are particularly "bike-friendly" under any stretch of the
    imagination or any defininition with the possible exception of Austin.
    Phoenix is "LA east" and suffers from many of the same problems and
    more of its own making. If I had to choose a southwestern 'city' the
    short list would be Austin, Albuquerque, and Tucson.

    Some of the smaller towns are fine, at least the attitudes are better
    though the concessions like bike lanes may be lacking.

    Don't think the SW is all sun and warmth. I have lived all across the
    country and the coldest place I lived was just outside of Flagstaff,
    AZ. From Oct to April it rarely got above freezing and night-time
    temps would frequently be in the -30 to -45F range. The snowplows
    cleared on the major roads, and then only the auto traffic lanes. By
    mid-Dec most of the roads were lined with banks of snow 5-10' high and
    the lanes had just enough room for a car. Point is - if you are
    looking for year-round cycling you probably want to focus on locations
    under 7000' elevation.

    - rick

    JoeD said:

    When I meant bicycle friendly, that means the city government provides
    bike lanes, proper signs, bridge access, law enforcement etc. and the
    driving public generally respects a cyclists right of way. I've already
    mentioned that I am leaning towards the SW because it is warm. Riding
    year round is nice but not a requirement. I do want dry weather at least
    9 to 10 months a year. The land needs rain for things to grow so rain
    is ok sometimes but not all the times. Cold doesn't bother me too much.
    I ride to work in 25 degrees with wind chill factor of 10 to 15 so if
    the mornings and evenings drop to 40 or 50, that's ok, if I'm dressed
    for it.

    Love to hear from some of you with concrete city (not state) suggestions.

    JoeD said:

    Hi,

    I live in NYC and am thinking of moving out of this area in the
    future. I am starting to look now for any city that would be bicycle
    friendly. I am leaning towards the Southwest of the country like NM,
    with its warmer climate and cheaper health insurance but I am open to
    any suggestions.
    I use my bike to, commute to work (20m RT), local shopping, long day
    trips and just getting around even though I have a car. I average
    about 5k a year.
    Either because I have been careful, plain lucky or a bit of both, I
    have never had a serious problem in my 45 years of riding in the
    streets competing with the cars, trucks, cabs and the dreaded
    pedestrians. I am mentioning this because I am not afraid of city
    traffic. Highway traffic is whole nother story since I want to live to
    ride another 45 years.

    Would anyone living in or knowing about bicycle friendly cities, want
    another cyclist sharing the roads with them. I would promise to say
    "Hi" as I pass you or vice versa.

  10. JoeD <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi,

    I live in NYC and am thinking of moving out of this area in the future.
    I am starting to look now for any city that would be bicycle friendly. I
    am leaning towards the Southwest of the country like NM, with its warmer
    climate and cheaper health insurance but I am open to any suggestions.
    I use my bike to, commute to work (20m RT), local shopping, long day
    trips and just getting around even though I have a car. I average about
    5k a year.
    Either because I have been careful, plain lucky or a bit of both, I have
    never had a serious problem in my 45 years of riding in the streets
    competing with the cars, trucks, cabs and the dreaded pedestrians. I am
    mentioning this because I am not afraid of city traffic. Highway traffic
    is whole nother story since I want to live to ride another 45 years.

    Would anyone living in or knowing about bicycle friendly cities, want
    another cyclist sharing the roads with them. I would promise to say "Hi"
    as I pass you or vice versa.


    Everything in the Southwest is spreadout; you're going to have to get over
    your fear of highways or find a different area. My top choices if you manage
    to get over the highway fear:

    Silver City, New Mexico
    Fort Davis/Marfa/Alpine, Texas

    Highway traffic in both areas is relatively light most of the year.

  11. Pat said:
    Quoted message said:

    To me, "bike friendly" means you can ride every day of the year.
    That rules out the snow belt. Some people would also rule out the
    humidity belt (aka, the southeast and gulf states). The west coast
    has pretty good year-round weather. There are lots of college towns
    in California with excellent bike route systems.

    Well, then, you had better rule out the Midwest and Texas--and maybe
    Arizona, too, because we get this god-awful wind that will blow you
    over if it catches you broadside....

    Flagstaff may be more temperate but most of AZ is too hot to ride half the year,
    unless you like to ride at 5AM.

    Matt O.

  12. Rick Warner said:
    Quoted message said:

    Don't think the SW is all sun and warmth. I have lived all across


    the

    Quoted message said:

    country and the coldest place I lived was just outside of Flagstaff,
    AZ. From Oct to April it rarely got above freezing and night-time
    temps would frequently be in the -30 to -45F range. The snowplows
    cleared on the major roads, and then only the auto traffic lanes. By
    mid-Dec most of the roads were lined with banks of snow 5-10' high


    and

    Quoted message said:

    the lanes had just enough room for a car. Point is - if you are
    looking for year-round cycling you probably want to focus on


    locations

    Quoted message said:

    under 7000' elevation.


    I don't know if we define "frequently" the same but that sounds awfully
    cold.
    But sure, Flag has real winters. That's why so many teams hold their
    winter camps down here in Tucson.

    However you want to define it Tucson is a great cycling city. Local
    goveernemnts are bike friendly and there is great weather and ride
    options ranging from flat to extremely hilly. Also, there is a large
    cycling community with many cycle clubs so you can easily find a fit
    with your interests/personality.
    The only down side is having all the super fit retirees that cycle hard
    every day and just blow you up :-)

  13. JoeD <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    When I meant bicycle friendly, that means the city government provides
    bike lanes, proper signs, bridge access, law enforcement etc. and the
    driving public generally respects a cyclists right of way. I've already
    mentioned that I am leaning towards the SW because it is warm. Riding
    year round is nice but not a requirement. I do want dry weather at least
    9 to 10 months a year. The land needs rain for things to grow so rain
    is ok sometimes but not all the times. Cold doesn't bother me too much.
    I ride to work in 25 degrees with wind chill factor of 10 to 15 so if
    the mornings and evenings drop to 40 or 50, that's ok, if I'm dressed
    for it.

    Love to hear from some of you with concrete city (not state) suggestions.


    With this additional info you can add Taos, New Mexico to my list. There are
    more "bike lanes" and signage in this area but still you would need to get
    over the highway fear thing. Try a vacation out this way and see what you
    think.

  14. Rick Warner said:

    As others have said, the SW has some issues, at least in the major
    cities. I have lived in Arizona, NM, and Texas and none of the big
    name cities are particularly "bike-friendly" under any stretch of the
    imagination or any defininition with the possible exception of Austin.
    Phoenix is "LA east" and suffers from many of the same problems and
    more of its own making. If I had to choose a southwestern 'city' the
    short list would be Austin, Albuquerque, and Tucson.

    LA at least has older neighborhoods where the sprawl model isn't as bad. Places
    like Glendale and Pasadena are as pleasant as urban communities get, if you can
    stand the heat and smog.

    Quoted message said:

    Some of the smaller towns are fine, at least the attitudes are better
    though the concessions like bike lanes may be lacking.

    Don't think the SW is all sun and warmth. I have lived all across the
    country and the coldest place I lived was just outside of Flagstaff,
    AZ. From Oct to April it rarely got above freezing and night-time
    temps would frequently be in the -30 to -45F range. The snowplows
    cleared on the major roads, and then only the auto traffic lanes. By
    mid-Dec most of the roads were lined with banks of snow 5-10' high and
    the lanes had just enough room for a car. Point is - if you are
    looking for year-round cycling you probably want to focus on locations
    under 7000' elevation.

    This is true. Lower elevations are generally too hot, and higher elevations too
    cold. I didn't realize winter was that harsh in Flagstaff, or that it was that
    high. Our winters here in the Southeast are much milder than that.

    In southern CA too, once you're just a few miles inland, it's sweltering from
    May to October. If you're lucky enough to live by the coast it's great, but...

    Matt O.

  15. Matt O'Toole said:

    This is true. Lower elevations are generally too hot, and higher


    elevations too

    Quoted message said:

    cold. I didn't realize winter was that harsh in Flagstaff, or that


    it was that

    Quoted message said:

    high. Our winters here in the Southeast are much milder than that.

    In southern CA too, once you're just a few miles inland, it's


    sweltering from

    Quoted message said:

    May to October. If you're lucky enough to live by the coast it's


    great, but...

    Seems to me some diligent work with a good atlas might tell us a lot
    about where the climate is good.

    What would we want? Relatively low summer temperatures, relatively
    high winter temperatures, fairly low humidity, no killer winds, maybe
    rolling terrain (instead of super-steep hills or dead flat). Oh, and I
    prefer not being by a coast. It takes away 50% of your roaming
    territory, unless you pedal a boat.

    What else would we want?

    Personally, and a little off-topic: My favorite would be a fairly
    small town in an old farming area of the country, preferably with
    minimal sprawl. I prefer a tight network of small country roads to
    explore, and a human-scale town where the vehicle speeds are low.
    Ideally, the town would be large enough to have decent cultural
    amenities, but small enough that I can get to the countryside in
    reasonable time.

    To me, this is much more important than bike paths or bike lanes - both
    of which I tend to dislike. Put such a town about 30 miles from a
    larger city, and I think it's about perfect.

  16. I am SHOCKED nobody from Minneapolis/St. Paul has spoken up. This is an
    outstanding bike town.

    First, the cities and their suburbs spend MILLIONS on bike paths. Some
    shared, and some gloriously bike-only. Almost all of the famous
    sparkling lakes are ringed with both, and the people-watching is second
    to none. Minnesota has been turning old railroad beds into bike paths
    for years, so you can go to many towns on these gorgeous, tree-canopied
    crowned roads. The downtowns have lanes everywhere, much respect, and a
    healthy messenger culture. Surly bikes is based in Minneapolis.

    Second, the metro area here is fairly tiny. Ten minutes' drive puts you
    in the burbs, and twenty minutes' drive lands you smack dab in
    gently-hilly farm country. Small towns dot the landscape. You can ride
    to Duluth, rural Wisconsin, North Dakota, and all around the metro on
    paved paths.

    Third, winter riding is immensely popular here, even among sporadic
    riders. College kids and city commuters ride bikes year-round. Surly
    Bikes even has a new frame, the Pugsley, specially designed for snow
    and ice riding. (Think huge tires and a fork like a Texas rider's
    stance.) With all the frozen creek beds, a good ice bike can take you
    anywhere. And the best part is, you're not alone - it doesn't seem half
    as cold if five other people are out there on the lake at midnight too.

    Fourth, a practical and left-leaning culture in the Twin Cities fosters
    a bike-friendly lifestyle. The city buses have bike racks. There are
    shops everywhere. And if you've ever seen a northern city's populace
    decide to "wake up" all at once on the first warm day, you know they
    don't sleep until December: rollerbladers, pedestrians, coffee-shop
    junkies, bicyclists, sand-castle freaks, kayakers, joggers, yoga and
    Tai Chi nuts in the park... This city is so beautiful for outdoors
    activities. It's the cold that keeps the [censored] out.

  17. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    What would we want? Relatively low summer temperatures, relatively
    high winter temperatures, fairly low humidity, no killer winds, maybe
    rolling terrain (instead of super-steep hills or dead flat). Oh, and I
    prefer not being by a coast. It takes away 50% of your roaming
    territory, unless you pedal a boat.

    What else would we want?

    Personally, and a little off-topic: My favorite would be a fairly
    small town in an old farming area of the country, preferably with
    minimal sprawl. I prefer a tight network of small country roads to
    explore, and a human-scale town where the vehicle speeds are low.
    Ideally, the town would be large enough to have decent cultural
    amenities, but small enough that I can get to the countryside in
    reasonable time.

    To me, this is much more important than bike paths or bike lanes - both
    of which I tend to dislike. Put such a town about 30 miles from a
    larger city, and I think it's about perfect.

    Wow. Except for the temperature extremes we sometimes experience and the
    steep mountains nearby - which is actually a plus IMO - you've just
    perfectly described Carson City, NV. It really is a nice place to live if
    you ride, for both road riding and mountainbiking.

    Cheto

  18. Well, I'm not sure how much the climate would be to your liking, but
    Portland, Oregon is almost rediculously bike-friendly. There are bike
    lanes/trails throughout the metro area, bike racks on the buses and
    commuter trains, non-profit repair and resale collectives, (as well as
    dozens of excellent "regular" shops) and an extremely active bike
    culture.

    Also, you're within a day-ride of the coast, Mt. Hood, the central
    Willamette Valley wine country, etc., etc. The only real downside is
    that we get rain for at least half the year. Win some, lose some, I
    guess.

  19. "bryanska" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I am SHOCKED nobody from Minneapolis/St. Paul has spoken up. This is an
    outstanding bike town.

    First, the cities and their suburbs spend MILLIONS on bike paths. Some
    shared, and some gloriously bike-only. Almost all of the famous
    sparkling lakes are ringed with both, and the people-watching is second
    to none. Minnesota has been turning old railroad beds into bike paths
    for years, so you can go to many towns on these gorgeous, tree-canopied
    crowned roads. The downtowns have lanes everywhere, much respect, and a
    healthy messenger culture. Surly bikes is based in Minneapolis.

    Second, the metro area here is fairly tiny. Ten minutes' drive puts you
    in the burbs, and twenty minutes' drive lands you smack dab in
    gently-hilly farm country. Small towns dot the landscape. You can ride
    to Duluth, rural Wisconsin, North Dakota, and all around the metro on
    paved paths.

    Third, winter riding is immensely popular here, even among sporadic
    riders. College kids and city commuters ride bikes year-round. Surly
    Bikes even has a new frame, the Pugsley, specially designed for snow
    and ice riding. (Think huge tires and a fork like a Texas rider's
    stance.) With all the frozen creek beds, a good ice bike can take you
    anywhere. And the best part is, you're not alone - it doesn't seem half
    as cold if five other people are out there on the lake at midnight too.

    Fourth, a practical and left-leaning culture in the Twin Cities fosters
    a bike-friendly lifestyle. The city buses have bike racks. There are
    shops everywhere. And if you've ever seen a northern city's populace
    decide to "wake up" all at once on the first warm day, you know they
    don't sleep until December: rollerbladers, pedestrians, coffee-shop
    junkies, bicyclists, sand-castle freaks, kayakers, joggers, yoga and
    Tai Chi nuts in the park... This city is so beautiful for outdoors
    activities. It's the cold that keeps the [censored] out.


    Well you know I thought about that area, but then I thought about the
    weather AKA the extreme cold!

  20. "rcoder" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Well, I'm not sure how much the climate would be to your liking, but
    Portland, Oregon is almost rediculously bike-friendly. There are bike
    lanes/trails throughout the metro area, bike racks on the buses and
    commuter trains, non-profit repair and resale collectives, (as well as
    dozens of excellent "regular" shops) and an extremely active bike
    culture.

    Also, you're within a day-ride of the coast, Mt. Hood, the central
    Willamette Valley wine country, etc., etc. The only real downside is
    that we get rain for at least half the year. Win some, lose some, I
    guess.


    I have heard all of those things about Portland, and it has the mountains as
    a nice backdrop.
    slightly on the damp side with above average rainfall, or so I have read.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.