What is the best approach to get onto the SHB bike lane from the South?
What about the the North?
TIA
K.,
A community for cyclists, gear, training and racing.
Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion
Thread navigation
Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.
Thread details
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
What is the best approach to get onto the SHB bike lane from the South?
What about the the North?
TIA
K.,
Kimon said:What is the best approach to get onto the SHB bike lane from the South?
What about the the North?
From the South I like either Clarence or Kent, then up on the (allowed)
footpath to Observatory Hill.
From the North there's a cycleway through North Sydney from just near the
station, but I find it easier to head down toward Blues Pt until the
next lights and go left there. That brings you out to the roundabout at
Milsons Pt, where you go right, then left just past the station.
The stairs are rideable in both directions if you're keen.
--
Dave Hughes | [email hidden]
If you can do a job with power tools, then that's the
right way to do it. - Joe Zeff
Kimon said:What is the best approach to get onto the SHB bike lane from the South?
What about the the North?
As a visitor I spent a bit of time trying to find the answer to the same
question. Here's a pdf with map
http://oc.site.net.au/cycling/shb.pdf
Owen
Nah, who needs stairs, just use the car lanes. Surprised that no one does,
except for maybe some tourists blundering around. probably no worse than
the rest of Sydney roads. From Kent you can pretend you are going to use the
car lanes to go over the Bridge and go up about 200 m or so to where there
is an exit/entry for emergency vehicles on the left and get onto the
footpath from there. This saves a steep climb on the footpath over the
Cahill Expressway cutting. Just look out for cars merging on your left from
the Cahill.
There was a recent story in the paper about a cyclist who fell off going
down the stairs, broke just about every bone except his neck - risky. No way
to stop once committed, and pedals can touch the steps on the central
wheeling ramp.
bobm
"Random Data" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:Kimon said:What is the best approach to get onto the SHB bike lane from the South?
What about the the North?From the South I like either Clarence or Kent, then up on the (allowed)
footpath to Observatory Hill.From the North there's a cycleway through North Sydney from just near the
station, but I find it easier to head down toward Blues Pt until the
next lights and go left there. That brings you out to the roundabout at
Milsons Pt, where you go right, then left just past the station.The stairs are rideable in both directions if you're keen.
--
Dave Hughes | [email hidden]
If you can do a job with power tools, then that's the
right way to do it. - Joe Zeff
Fractal said:From Kent you can pretend you are going to use the car lanes to go over
the Bridge and go up about 200 m or so to where there is an exit/entry
for emergency vehicles on the left and get onto the footpath from there.
This saves a steep climb on the footpath over the Cahill Expressway
cutting. Just look out for cars merging on your left from the Cahill.
I reckon the little pinch is a lot nicer than playing tag with the cars
there. They're accelerating hard and I've had a few run ins with couriers
and taxis.
Quoted message said:There was a recent story in the paper about a cyclist who fell off going
down the stairs, broke just about every bone except his neck - risky. No
way to stop once committed, and pedals can touch the steps on the
central wheeling ramp.
I've stopped going up and down a few times, and I've tagged pedals and
stayed up going both ways. Hell, you can chuck stoppies going down and
still get the back down without too much trouble. I suspect the guy who
stacked was either going way too fast or panic braked.
--
Dave Hughes | [email hidden]
Real children don't go hoppity-skip unless they are on drugs
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather
Back in 1986 I use to ride from Rose Bay to North Sydney pool and use the
bridge deck with the few cars there where at 5:30 - 6:00am until one foggy
day when I almost ran up the rear of a broken down car. Did not see it's
lights till almost on top of it. From that day on thought if I cannot see
the car what hope has a car seeing me!
Gordon
"Fractal" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:Nah, who needs stairs, just use the car lanes. Surprised that no one
does, except for maybe some tourists blundering around. probably no worse
than the rest of Sydney roads. From Kent you can pretend you are going to
use the car lanes to go over the Bridge and go up about 200 m or so to
where there is an exit/entry for emergency vehicles on the left and get
onto the footpath from there. This saves a steep climb on the footpath
over the Cahill Expressway cutting. Just look out for cars merging on your
left from the Cahill.There was a recent story in the paper about a cyclist who fell off going
down the stairs, broke just about every bone except his neck - risky. No
way to stop once committed, and pedals can touch the steps on the central
wheeling ramp.bobm
"Random Data" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:Kimon said:What is the best approach to get onto the SHB bike lane from the South?
What about the the North?From the South I like either Clarence or Kent, then up on the (allowed)
footpath to Observatory Hill.From the North there's a cycleway through North Sydney from just near the
station, but I find it easier to head down toward Blues Pt until the
next lights and go left there. That brings you out to the roundabout at
Milsons Pt, where you go right, then left just past the station.The stairs are rideable in both directions if you're keen.
--
Dave Hughes | [email hidden]
If you can do a job with power tools, then that's the
right way to do it. - Joe Zeff
Owen said:Kimon said:What is the best approach to get onto the SHB bike lane from the South?
What about the the North?As a visitor I spent a bit of time trying to find the answer to the same
question. Here's a pdf with map
Awesome. Thanks, dude.
In aus.bicycle on 22 Mar 2006 00:35:05 -0800
Kimon said:
Owen said:As a visitor I spent a bit of time trying to find the answer to the same
question. Here's a pdf with map
Awesome. Thanks, dude.
Only problem is you have to get up Kent St...
Is it less hilly if you approach it from the Argyle St end?
Zebee
Zebee Johnstone said:Only problem is you have to get up Kent St...
Is it less hilly if you approach it from the Argyle St end?
Zebee
You are not honestly calling Kent Street a hill? 😄
I normally go up King and turn into Clarence St. and over the wee bridge at Observatory hill.
The only problem I've had with riding down the stairs was the time I went a tad to fast and bounced my rear wheel into the air so that on the last ramp I was balancing on the front wheel only. I only just made it and scared myself silly. These days I am either on the tandem which is easy (but not with the wife on back) or the fixie which is an old track bike and to short a wheel base for me. 🙂
Cheers
Geoff
Zebee Johnstone said:Only problem is you have to get up Kent St...
Kent's not that hard. If you're coming from the South I reckon Clarence is
easier, since it's flatter. It's a bit of a pinch up to Observatory Hill,
but going around the back takes forever and you've still got the climb.
(It's not quite as steep, but longer at the North end)
--
Dave Hughes | [email hidden]
"Never make any mistaeks." (Anonymous, in a mail discussion.)
Active in the last 60 minutes
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.