rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Best 3" tire that is not a Gazz?

Started by Sofa · · Last activity · 15 posts · 473 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
27 July 2004
Last activity
28 July 2004
Original author
Sofa
Posts
15
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
473
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–15 of 15
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Well...my Gazz is beyond middle age, and I can see some spots that I
    hope I don't need to rely on grip for when they are down....

    The gazz was really the only 3" option when I got it, and I think it's
    probably not worth almost twice the price as something similar these
    days...not to mention that a tire 2 or 3mm skinnier would allow for more
    clearance, the Gazz's only downside (in my current setup...perhaps it's
    the frame's downside? the tire is cheaper to remedy)

    What 3" non-Gazz's seem to work best, last longest, look coolest,
    ect...

    Has anyone used several varieties of 3"rs?

    --
    Sofa - you - pee - dee

    'yea i no allot of mi frends an i r hecka smartr then othr peeple at mi
    skool cus we can balense and we can ride farthar then other peeple wich
    makes ur bran more exersised an it helps u consentrate an improves ur
    mentel stamena' - 1wheelthrilla

    'Unicycle Product Reviews' (http://tinyurl.com/368h6) *107* reviews on
    *72* products

    'London Unicycling Club ' (http://www.brianmackenzie.com/LUC/) (London,
    Ontario, Canada)

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sofa's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/706
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/34168

  2. I've used the Gazz and the Duro (that's standard on the KH24).

    The Gazz is a great tire but I actually prefer the rounder profile of
    the Duro. It has sufficient volume to provide a fairly cushy ride. It
    rolls well over obstacles and it grips very well.

    I think that overall the Duro is a very good alternative to the Gazz.

    -mg

    --
    mgrant - Ever hoping for the best!

    The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older, shorter of
    breath, and one day closer to death.
    michael_j_grant (at) yahoo (dot) com
    Gallery: http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/Michael_Grant/
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    mgrant's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/440
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/34168

  3. i've used the gazz and the arrow racing (standard on a Yuni MUni) the
    gazz owns that tire, i wouldn't recommend it over a gazz.

    --
    TheBadger587

    MUni every day.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    TheBadger587's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5576
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/34168

  4. I like it, I like it...keep it coming!

    Halo?

    Intense?

    --
    Sofa - you - pee - dee

    'yea i no allot of mi frends an i r hecka smartr then othr peeple at mi
    skool cus we can balense and we can ride farthar then other peeple wich
    makes ur bran more exersised an it helps u consentrate an improves ur
    mentel stamena' - 1wheelthrilla

    'Unicycle Product Reviews' (http://tinyurl.com/368h6) *107* reviews on
    *72* products

    'London Unicycling Club ' (http://www.brianmackenzie.com/LUC/) (London,
    Ontario, Canada)

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sofa's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/706
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/34168

  5. Hi,

    Sofa said:

    *

    Halo?

    *

    All the same tires:

    Halo Contra - Duro Wildlife - Point Bigfoot

    Only the labels are different!

    Roland

    --
    wendino - Der Einradladen

    'municycle.com - Der Einradladen' (http://municycle.com)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    wendino's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/689
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/34168

  6. wendino said:

    *
    Only the labels are different!

    Roland *

    really? that's good to know!

    --
    Sofa - you - pee - dee

    'yea i no allot of mi frends an i r hecka smartr then othr peeple at mi
    skool cus we can balense and we can ride farthar then other peeple wich
    makes ur bran more exersised an it helps u consentrate an improves ur
    mentel stamena' - 1wheelthrilla

    'Unicycle Product Reviews' (http://tinyurl.com/368h6) *107* reviews on
    *72* products

    'London Unicycling Club ' (http://www.brianmackenzie.com/LUC/) (London,
    Ontario, Canada)

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sofa's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/706
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/34168

  7. wendino said:

    *Hi,

    All the same tires:

    Halo Contra - Duro Wildlife - Point Bigfoot

    Only the labels are different!

    Roland *

    It's also the same as the Arrow Racing 3 incher!

    I have ridden a Duro 24x3" (labelled Arrow Racing) and the Gazz. The
    Gazz is a better tyre. I also have a Dyno Fireball 24x3" (hardly ridden)
    and an IRC Kujo DH 24x3" (not ridden at all yet). Max Dingemans rode one
    of these for a while - try PM'ing him, maybe.

    In my opinion the Gazz remains the best 3" tyre for unicycling.

    -T()\|y

    --
    TonyMelton - He's the tucky!

    See some photos of the first 'NZ MUni Weekend'
    (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/NZ-MUni-Weekend-2004)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    TonyMelton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2118
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/34168

  8. TonyMelton said:

    *

    In my opinion the Gazz remains the best 3" tyre for unicycling.

    -T()\|y *

    reaons? i don't mind the clearance issue if the tire is 'actually' that
    much better

    --
    Sofa - you - pee - dee

    'yea i no allot of mi frends an i r hecka smartr then othr peeple at mi
    skool cus we can balense and we can ride farthar then other peeple wich
    makes ur bran more exersised an it helps u consentrate an improves ur
    mentel stamena' - 1wheelthrilla

    'Unicycle Product Reviews' (http://tinyurl.com/368h6) *107* reviews on
    *72* products

    'London Unicycling Club ' (http://www.brianmackenzie.com/LUC/) (London,
    Ontario, Canada)

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sofa's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/706
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/34168

  9. Sofa said:

    *Halo?

    Intense? *

    Jeff Groves was on a Halo at Cal Muni Weekend 2003. He may have some
    opinions on it.

    I ride a 24x3 fireball for commuting and an intense 24x3.0 DH comp 60
    tire for offroad. At moab I rode Dan Heaton's muni with a Gazz. I
    personally think the intense is as good, if not better than the gazz for
    90% of the trails I ride. It has more substantial knobbies and seems to
    give better grip for hill climbing and descents than the gazz. Also, the
    sidewalls are beffier than any other tire on the market. It's most
    definitely better than the fireball. The only area that the gazz is
    better in (in my opinion) is skinny riding. It has a slightly squarer
    profile, which is better for skinies. If I were riding north shore I'd
    use a gazz.

    Kris Holm was on a Duro at Moab 2004. He said it was a better all around
    muni tire due to the rounder profile, but he did say that for hard core
    DH and north-shore type riding the gazz excels.

    --
    gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

    Don't you think it's a cruel irony that acting like a G.I. Joe in the
    army can get you a Medal, while playing with one can get you thrown
    out?

    http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Trials-Muni
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    gerblefranklin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4295
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/34168

  10. Sofa,
    Thanks for starting this thread, it gives me a little more info on
    tire alternatives since I didn't get but 1 response to my thread about
    the arrow 3"r

    --
    Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

    If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/34168

  11. Krashin'Kenny said:

    *Sofa,
    Thanks for starting this thread, it gives me a little more info on
    tire alternatives since I didn't get but 1 response to my thread about
    the arrow 3"r *

    No worries KK, I had only your interests in mind when I started the
    thread 😉

    --
    Sofa - you - pee - dee

    'yea i no allot of mi frends an i r hecka smartr then othr peeple at mi
    skool cus we can balense and we can ride farthar then other peeple wich
    makes ur bran more exersised an it helps u consentrate an improves ur
    mentel stamena' - 1wheelthrilla

    'Unicycle Product Reviews' (http://tinyurl.com/368h6) *107* reviews on
    *72* products

    'London Unicycling Club ' (http://www.brianmackenzie.com/LUC/) (London,
    Ontario, Canada)

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sofa's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/706
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/34168

  12. Sofa said:

    *

    reasons? *

    Ummm, it just feels better. Maybe not a very satisfying reason, but hey,
    its a reason nonetheless.

    --
    TonyMelton - He's the tucky!

    See some photos of the first 'NZ MUni Weekend'
    (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/NZ-MUni-Weekend-2004)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    TonyMelton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2118
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/34168

  13. TonyMelton said:

    *
    Ummm, it just feels better. *

    Sometimes that's all that matters!

    --
    Sofa - you - pee - dee

    'yea i no allot of mi frends an i r hecka smartr then othr peeple at mi
    skool cus we can balense and we can ride farthar then other peeple wich
    makes ur bran more exersised an it helps u consentrate an improves ur
    mentel stamena' - 1wheelthrilla

    'Unicycle Product Reviews' (http://tinyurl.com/368h6) *107* reviews on
    *72* products

    'London Unicycling Club ' (http://www.brianmackenzie.com/LUC/) (London,
    Ontario, Canada)

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sofa's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/706
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/34168

  14. I have both a Gazz and IRC Kujo. The Gazz beats the Kujo hands down in
    every way except looks. The Kujo has a red sidewall and that's the
    color that ALL tire sidewalls should be.

    SH

    --
    showard - ------
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    showard's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/452
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/34168

  15. Comparing downhill tires like the Gazz and other 3" tires is more tricky
    than it sounds. You have to ride the tire for a while in a variety of
    conditions and experiment with tire pressure before you can really get
    to know the tire. If you just try a tire for one ride you can't really
    give a good review of it.

    There is also the issue of needing to break in the tire. I have two
    muni wheels for my 24" muni. Both have a 3" Gazz on them. One is well
    broken in and the other has only been used for one ride. The two tires
    are completely different. The tire that is new is missing the nice
    cush. It needs to be broken in. The fact that they are on different
    rims also makes a difference. The broken in Gazz is on a wide Avro Zum
    rim (38 mm wide) and the new Gazz is on an Alex DX32 rim (32 mm wide).
    If I was to try the two tires in a blind test, I would swear they were
    two different tires. Tire condition (how well it is broken in) and rim
    width and tire pressure makes a big difference with these tires.

    You need to try these big tires for many rides before you can really
    form an informed opinion about them. If you've only tried a tire for
    one ride you haven't really gotten to know the tire.

    Unfortunately, the only fat tire I've every used is a Gazz. I can't
    offer any kind of a comparison with other fat 3" tires.

    Informed reviews of the Gazz versus other fat 3" tires are lacking
    because very few people have actually tried more than one tire brand for
    any length of time. The people who have put several fat tires like the
    Gazz and Duro through their paces need to write reviews so the rest of
    us can get an idea about how they compare.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com
    Gallery: '' (http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/john_childs)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    john_childs's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/449
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/34168

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.