UK and Europe · Public discussion

Bent rear-mech hanger

Started by Russ · · Last activity · 10 posts · 565 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
27 March 2006
Last activity
28 March 2006
Original author
Russ
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
565
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi all,

    Not sure if my terminology is correct, but I've managed to aquire a
    bent rear-mech hanger. I had an accident this morning which involved
    my chain getting tangled up in my rear wheel. Unfortunately, this had
    the knock-on effect of shearing off half my spokes between the cassette
    and the wheel, and pulling my rear mech into the wheel as well.

    I can obviously replace the wheel and rear mech without too much
    trouble, but what should I do about the bent bit of metal that my rear
    mech attaches to? It's certainly not vertical, I'm assuming it should
    be? The bike is a Cromoloy (sp?) frame, btw.

    Much appreciated folks,

    Russ

  2. Russ said:

    Hi all,

    I can obviously replace the wheel and rear mech without too much
    trouble, but what should I do about the bent bit of metal that my rear
    mech attaches to? It's certainly not vertical, I'm assuming it should
    be? The bike is a Cromoloy (sp?) frame, btw.

    Much appreciated folks,

    Russ

    [font=Tms Rmn]Take the frame to your local Bike Shop. They will be able to straighten and realign for you.
    [/font]

  3. "Russ" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi all,

    Not sure if my terminology is correct, but I've managed to aquire a
    bent rear-mech hanger. I had an accident this morning which involved
    my chain getting tangled up in my rear wheel. Unfortunately, this had
    the knock-on effect of shearing off half my spokes between the cassette
    and the wheel, and pulling my rear mech into the wheel as well.

    Sounds like an amazing accident. I've never sheared a single spoke, but have
    managed to break rear cassettes through shear power. 🙂

    A lot of bikes have little drop off for rear mechs that take the strain from
    pressure. They probably used to sell more of these after the London-Brighton
    and the staff who used to put the bikes on the train. Nowadays, those were
    the good old days.

    Advice given so far seems fair. If you aren't sure, local bike shop for you.

    Nick

  4. "elyob" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    A lot of bikes have little drop off for rear mechs that take the strain
    from pressure.

    Al bikes have these, because typically if you bend an Al frame you can't
    bend it back again safely. Steel bikes like Russ's don't need one coz you
    can safely bend it back.

    cheers,
    clive

  5. "Clive George" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "elyob" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    A lot of bikes have little drop off for rear mechs that take the strain
    from pressure.

    Al bikes have these, because typically if you bend an Al frame you can't
    bend it back again safely. Steel bikes like Russ's don't need one coz you
    can safely bend it back.


    I did this to an old steel ridgeback. Completely destroyed the hanger
    (thread an all), it only cost ~£15 to get a new relacement brazed (or
    whatever) onto the frame.

    Compare this to the £12 quid I needed to pay to replace a slightly bent
    replaceable dropout on my aluminium bike.

  6. John said:


    Compare this to the £12 quid I needed to pay to replace a slightly bent
    replaceable dropout on my aluminium bike.

    I had a crash week before last on a hired bike. The mech hanger was
    bent, I bent it back to get me 'home'. The hire guy charged me €10 to
    replace it.

  7. in message <[email hidden]>, Russ

    (') said:

    Hi all,

    Not sure if my terminology is correct, but I've managed to aquire a
    bent rear-mech hanger. I had an accident this morning which involved
    my chain getting tangled up in my rear wheel. Unfortunately, this had
    the knock-on effect of shearing off half my spokes between the cassette
    and the wheel, and pulling my rear mech into the wheel as well.

    I can obviously replace the wheel and rear mech without too much
    trouble, but what should I do about the bent bit of metal that my rear
    mech attaches to? It's certainly not vertical, I'm assuming it should
    be? The bike is a Cromoloy (sp?) frame, btw.

    Steel frames (which includes CroMo) usually have the mech hanger as an
    integral part of the frame. If so, it needs to be straightened, and that
    needs to be done carefully and precisely. Take it to your LBS.

    Aluminium frames, if they're any good, and carbon ones, have the mech
    hanger as a separate, sacrificial piece made of soft metal - the idea
    being that if it does get put under unfair load, it will snap before the
    frame gets damaged. If yours is this sort you need to get a replacement.
    Unfortunately, there is no standard pattern for these, so you need to
    get a replacement designed for your make and model (and sometimes even
    year) of frame.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
    ;; Let's have a moment of silence for all those Americans who are stuck
    ;; in traffic on their way to the gym to ride the stationary bicycle.
    ;; Rep. Earl Blumenauer (Dem, OR)

  8. MSeries said:
    John said:


    Compare this to the £12 quid I needed to pay to replace a slightly bent
    replaceable dropout on my aluminium bike.

    I had a crash week before last on a hired bike. The mech hanger was
    bent, I bent it back to get me 'home'. The hire guy charged me €10 to
    replace it.

    yebbut you weren't in the UK ;-)

    I had a similar experience in Italy, € 20 for replacing the hanger,
    gear cable, adjusting, mending the chain and also a new spoke

    Ribble have just charged me £14.99 for the same part.

  9. Russ said:

    Hi all,

    Not sure if my terminology is correct, but I've managed to aquire a
    bent rear-mech hanger. I had an accident this morning which involved
    my chain getting tangled up in my rear wheel. Unfortunately, this had
    the knock-on effect of shearing off half my spokes between the cassette
    and the wheel, and pulling my rear mech into the wheel as well.

    I can obviously replace the wheel and rear mech without too much
    trouble, but what should I do about the bent bit of metal that my rear
    mech attaches to? It's certainly not vertical, I'm assuming it should
    be? The bike is a Cromoloy (sp?) frame, btw.


    Did this in Spain a few years ago. Only a few spokes though but frame
    and derailleur bent. Rode through the mountains on a shortenened chain
    using the 42x18 until I got to Donostia where the frame was straightened
    and gears replaced all for less than the price of the rear changer at home.
    All the best
    Dan Gregory

  10. Clive George said:

    "elyob" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    A lot of bikes have little drop off for rear mechs that take the strain
    from pressure.

    Al bikes have these,

    not all of them

    Quoted message said:

    because typically if you bend an Al frame you can't
    bend it back again safely. Steel bikes like Russ's don't need one coz you
    can safely bend it back.

    but some have them anyway

    best wishes
    james

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.