Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

BEND, OREGON - Looking for a really long ride

Started by steve deno · · Last activity · 10 posts · 482 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
24 May 2004
Last activity
26 May 2004
Original author
steve deno
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
482
Views / 30 days
5

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. All, I looked in the archive but couldn't find the answer to this.
    Does anyone know of a really long(preferably singletrack with climbs)
    ride near Bend? I will be there for the weekend and would like to get
    in like 5+ hours of good hard riding to prepare for a 100 miler.

    Thanks in advance

  2. steve deno said:

    All, I looked in the archive but couldn't find the answer to this.
    Does anyone know of a really long(preferably singletrack with climbs)
    ride near Bend? I will be there for the weekend and would like to get
    in like 5+ hours of good hard riding to prepare for a 100 miler.

    Thanks in advance

    there's a really excellent map "mountain biking and cross country skiing
    map" put out by Adventure Maps on waterproof paper, $8.95 at any of the
    local bike shops.

    The ones that come to mind are,

    Edison/Lava Lake trail 2300' feet of climbing, out and back 20 miles.
    Starts at the Edison sno-park, map suggests adding the Kwohl Butter Shelter
    spur trail.

    I made a 30 miles loop out of the Sparks/Lava trail by coming back on the
    road, it's a 22 miles ride otherwise.

    Map also suggests Bachelor Sparks Lava loop which which is 28 miles

    Make sure it's not too hot, was in the high 90's when we rode!!

    map has lots of other ideas too

    Penny S

  3. Penny S said:
    Quoted message said:


    map has lots of other ideas too

    I have to run to a band concert, will study map a little more carefully and
    see if there's anything else worth noting.

    p.

  4. There is a great trail around Newberry Crater, 20 or so miles in the
    Newberry Volcanic National Monument. Then you can ride up Paulina Peak for
    some good sustained climbing.

    Mike

    "steve deno" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    All, I looked in the archive but couldn't find the answer to this.
    Does anyone know of a really long(preferably singletrack with climbs)
    ride near Bend? I will be there for the weekend and would like to get
    in like 5+ hours of good hard riding to prepare for a 100 miler.

    Thanks in advance

  5. Mike Kennedy said:

    There is a great trail around Newberry Crater, 20 or so miles in
    the Newberry Volcanic National Monument. Then you can ride up Paulina
    Peak for some good sustained climbing.

    Mike

    that's on the map too. ;-)

    Quoted message said:

    "steve deno" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    All, I looked in the archive but couldn't find the answer to this.
    Does anyone know of a really long(preferably singletrack with climbs)
    ride near Bend? I will be there for the weekend and would like to
    get in like 5+ hours of good hard riding to prepare for a 100 miler.

    Thanks in advance

  6. "Penny S" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Mike Kennedy said:

    There is a great trail around Newberry Crater, 20 or so miles in
    the Newberry Volcanic National Monument. Then you can ride up Paulina
    Peak for some good sustained climbing.

    Mike

    that's on the map too. ;-)

    Isn't that stuff still snowed in? I haven't been up there
    for several weeks, but that's what I thought...

  7. David said:

    "Penny S" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Mike Kennedy said:

    There is a great trail around Newberry Crater, 20 or so miles in
    the Newberry Volcanic National Monument. Then you can ride up
    Paulina Peak for some good sustained climbing.

    Mike

    that's on the map too. ;-)

    Isn't that stuff still snowed in? I haven't been up there
    for several weeks, but that's what I thought...

    the ranger district up there maintains really good trail information on the
    web ( or they used to, looks like the format has changed a bit)

    http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/centraloregon/recreation/trails/index.shtml

  8. [email hidden] (steve deno) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    All, I looked in the archive but couldn't find the answer to this.
    Does anyone know of a really long(preferably singletrack with climbs)
    ride near Bend? I will be there for the weekend and would like to get
    in like 5+ hours of good hard riding to prepare for a 100 miler.

    Thanks in advance

    Go to Bend. Find a decent guide book written by a local. Buy the
    guide book. Ride.

    JD

  9. I think all of the local bike shops carry the set of maps to trails in the
    area. There is a ride that starts in a park just outside of Bend (Shevlin?)
    and heads west thru a network of linked trails to Swampy Lakes and well
    beyond. The Flag Line trail is pretty epic if you can find it. Ask a local
    which way it should be done, then go the opposite direction for a harder
    ride.

    Newberry crater is also really nice. If you bike up, it starts with
    something like a 1500-1800 foot climb. Then a scenic and technical 20 mile
    loop.

    Take mucho water. Start early.

    "steve deno" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    All, I looked in the archive but couldn't find the answer to this.
    Does anyone know of a really long(preferably singletrack with climbs)
    ride near Bend? I will be there for the weekend and would like to get
    in like 5+ hours of good hard riding to prepare for a 100 miler.

    Thanks in advance

  10. "Gwood" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I think all of the local bike shops carry the set of maps to trails in the
    area. There is a ride that starts in a park just outside of Bend (Shevlin?)
    and heads west thru a network of linked trails to Swampy Lakes and well
    beyond.

    One of my favorite rides was starting from well beyond Swampy Lakes,
    riding through Shevlin. Lots of elevation loss, and nice to do it as a one way
    (from the mountains into Bend, rather than the other way). Don't remember
    where we started, but it was all legal (not wilderness), and we rode past
    Broken Top before reaching Swampy Lakes.

    Quoted message said:

    The Flag Line trail is pretty epic if you can find it. Ask a local
    which way it should be done, then go the opposite direction for a harder
    ride.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.