My heart goes out to Beloki it's so painful to see a main in such distress like that.
I hope that he can make a swift and full recovery.
Could his tire have come off so easily if he had been using clinchers? Assuming of course he was
using tubulars.
A community for cyclists, gear, training and racing.
Road Cycling · Public discussion
Thread navigation
Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.
Thread details
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
My heart goes out to Beloki it's so painful to see a main in such distress like that.
I hope that he can make a swift and full recovery.
Could his tire have come off so easily if he had been using clinchers? Assuming of course he was
using tubulars.
"Robert Nicholson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
"]news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:My heart goes out to Beloki it's so painful to see a main in such distress like that.
I hope that he can make a swift and full recovery.
Could his tire have come off so easily if he had been using clinchers? Assuming of course he was
using tubulars.
Clinchers have the advantage that they don't roll off if the rim gets hot (and the tubular
glue melts).
Tubulars have a few advantages. They are marginally lighter, but the most important thing in a road
race with long, winding descents is that if a tubular flats, the rider can ride out a flat on a
downhill turn (the tire stays on the rim, usually). A clincher in the situation will almost surely
slide out.
Interestingly, Indurain preferred clinchers due to reason #1, but most prefer tubulars.
BTW, if you are a Masters Fattie, ride clinchers. You won't get sewup glue all over yourself, your
living room, your bathroom and your dog trying to mount tubs.
"Robert Nicholson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
"]news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:My heart goes out to Beloki it's so painful to see a main in such distress like that.
I hope that he can make a swift and full recovery.
Could his tire have come off so easily if he had been using clinchers? Assuming of course he was
using tubulars.
It looked like the wheel momentarily stopped rotating right before he went sideways. At the speeds
he was doing, I doubt either type of tire would've had an advantage.
My heart goes out to the guy. It'll be next year before he's ready to race again. Hope he had health
insurance!
I dunno Henry. I can manage to avoid getting glue all over myself, but then I'm only 10-15#
overweight. That have something to do with it?
Mike
Quoted message said:Clinchers have the advantage that they don't roll off if the rim gets hot (and the tubular
glue melts).
Is this rim tape on Beloki's wheel - indicating a clincher?
In article c5MQa.6955$Bp2.762@fed1read07 said:"Robert Nicholson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
"]news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:My heart goes out to Beloki it's so painful to see a main in such distress like that.
I hope that he can make a swift and full recovery.
Could his tire have come off so easily if he had been using clinchers? Assuming of course he was
using tubulars.It looked like the wheel momentarily stopped rotating right before he went sideways. At the speeds
he was doing, I doubt either type of tire would've had an advantage.My heart goes out to the guy. It'll be next year before he's ready to race again. Hope he had
health insurance!I dunno Henry. I can manage to avoid getting glue all over myself, but then I'm only 10-15#
overweight. That have something to do with it?
Henry only uses one hand.
-WG
"Mike S." <mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet> wrote in message news:c5MQa.6955$Bp2.762@fed1read07...
Quoted message said:
I dunno Henry. I can manage to avoid getting glue all over myself, but
then
Quoted message said:I'm only 10-15# overweight. That have something to do with it?
I don't get glue on myself either.
The first few times though, got it all over the place.
<[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:Clinchers have the advantage that they don't roll off if the rim gets hot (and the tubular glue
melts).Is this rim tape on Beloki's wheel - indicating a clincher?
Ya, that's a clincher.
"warren" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
Henry only uses one hand.
Damn, just got rid of one rbr stalker only to come up with another.
My masturbatory practices are none of your business.
In article c5MQa.6955$Bp2.762@fed1read07 said:My heart goes out to the guy. It'll be next year before he's ready to race again. Hope he had
health insurance!
I believe Spain has government provided health care.
--
Mike Iglesias Email: [email hidden] University of California, Irvine phone: 949-824-6926
Network & Academic Computing Services FAX: 949-824-2069
(Mike Iglesias) said:In article c5MQa.6955$Bp2.762@fed1read07 said:My heart goes out to the guy. It'll be next year before he's ready to race again. Hope he had
health insurance!I believe Spain has government provided health care.
Great, now he'll be dead in six weeks from a staph infection.
--
Scott Johnson "Always with the excuses for small legs. People like you are why they only open the
top half of caskets." -Tommy Bowen
In article <[email hidden]>, Kurgan Gringioni
Quoted message said:"warren" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
Henry only uses one hand.Damn, just got rid of one rbr stalker only to come up with another.
Just trying to help maintain that precarious balance in your life.
You're welcome.
-WG
<[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:Clinchers have the advantage that they don't roll off if the rim gets hot (and the tubular glue
melts).Is this rim tape on Beloki's wheel - indicating a clincher?
Yes, it's rim tape, but he was trying to ride a tubular tire that was held to the rim with nothing
but rim tape, explaining why the tire rolled off. ; )
In article <[email hidden]>,
[email hidden] says...
Quoted message said:Clinchers have the advantage that they don't roll off if the rim gets hot (and the tubular
glue melts).Tubulars have a few advantages. They are marginally lighter, but the most important thing in a road
race with long, winding descents is that if a tubular flats, the rider can ride out a flat on a
downhill turn (the tire stays on the rim, usually). A clincher in the situation will almost surely
slide out.
This assumes the tubular stays on the rim, which it did not for Beloki.
Quoted message said:Interestingly, Indurain preferred clinchers due to reason #1, but most prefer tubulars.
I can still recall the time Indurain almost lost it on a downhill, but unclipped a foot and managed
to stay upright and continue.
Quoted message said:BTW, if you are a Masters Fattie, ride clinchers. You won't get sewup glue all over yourself, your
living room, your bathroom and your dog trying to mount tubs.
That's me.
-----------------
Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)
"Mike S." <mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet> wrote in message news:<c5MQa.6955$Bp2.762@fed1read07>...
Quoted message said:"Robert Nicholson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
"]news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:My heart goes out to Beloki it's so painful to see a main in such distress like that.
I hope that he can make a swift and full recovery.
Could his tire have come off so easily if he had been using clinchers? Assuming of course he was
using tubulars.It looked like the wheel momentarily stopped rotating right before he went sideways. At the speeds
he was doing, I doubt either type of tire would've had an advantage.
He was using clinchers, you can see this from the TV coverage. The inner tube exploded on the hot
tarmac after he locked the wheel the first time. Does anyone use tubulars these days?
Another disadvantage for using tubies (esp. for juniors and new Cat IV riders) is that if you roll
one and survive without a crash (a miracle in and of itself) you are NOT eligible for a free lap
(that was the case years ago when I was racing, it might be different now, if someone wants to
verify in the USCF rules)
Another reason I like tubies is a roadside flat is easier to fix, pull the old one off, put your
spare on, inflate it and ride off (here is a neat trick, where you would want to GENTLY heat the
rims with brakes to soften the glue and let the spare settle in)
I am a fattie burnout that is returning to riding after an extended hiatus. I took my bike in for a
tune up, the mechaninc (young guy, early 20's) saw the wheels and said "I've never seen stuff like
that before." OK, Mavic 850 hubs, Galli "Top Pro" rims, Vittoria Nuovo Pro tubies and a regina
freewheel, am I that dated (LMAO)
"Kurgan Gringioni" <[email hidden]> wrote in message >
Quoted message said:Clinchers have the advantage that they don't roll off if the rim gets hot (and the tubular
glue melts).Tubulars have a few advantages. They are marginally lighter, but the most important thing in a
road race with long, winding descents is that if a tubular flats, the rider can ride out a flat on
a downhill turn (the tire stays on the rim, usually). A clincher in the situation will almost
surely slide out.
Quoted message said:BTW, if you are a Masters Fattie, ride clinchers. You won't get sewup glue all over yourself, your
living room, your bathroom and your dog trying to mount tubs.
In article <[email hidden]>, jjpsych
Quoted message said:Another reason I like tubies is a roadside flat is easier to fix, pull the old one off, put your
spare on, inflate it and ride off
And then you get to go home and spend 45 minutes patching it. 2 minutes longer to change the
clincher and you're done with it. I race on Conti Sprinters but it's nice having clinchers to warm
up on and if I get a flat during the warmup I can repair it and still have a racing spare.
Quoted message said:
I am a fattie burnout that is returning to riding after an extended hiatus. I took my bike in for
a tune up, the mechaninc (young guy, early 20's) saw the wheels and said "I've never seen stuff
like that before." OK, Mavic 850 hubs, Galli "Top Pro" rims, Vittoria Nuovo Pro tubies and a
regina freewheel, am I that dated (LMAO)
That is old stuff that has been improved upon, except for the hubs. Put those on some new rims.
-WG
Kurgan Gringioni said:
and your dog trying to mount tubs.
This I want to see.
"David Off" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
"]news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:"Mike S." <mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet> wrote in message
news:<c5MQa.6955$Bp2.762@fed1read07>...
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:"Robert Nicholson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
"]news:[email hidden]...He was using clinchers, you can see this from the TV coverage. The inner tube exploded on the hot
tarmac after he locked the wheel the first time. Does anyone use tubulars these days?
I don't think the temperature of the tarmac had anything to do with the tire blowing, more the fact
that he locked up the rear. It doesn't take long to wear through the tire, clincher or tubular in a
high speed skid. Too much is being made out of what type of tire he had. Tubular or clincher, it
didn't matter, he was going down anyway.
Wade
"Kurgan Gringioni" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:<[email hidden]>...
Quoted message said:"warren" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
Henry only uses one hand.Damn, just got rid of one rbr stalker only to come up with another.
My masturbatory practices are none of your business.
Is that why you noticed Gum's use of her hands?
Weirdness Chang!
-KP
"K. J. Papai" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
"]news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:"Kurgan Gringioni" <[email hidden]> wrote in
message news:<[email hidden]>...
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:"warren" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:
Henry only uses one hand.Damn, just got rid of one rbr stalker only to come up with another.
My masturbatory practices are none of your business.
Is that why you noticed Gum's use of her hands?
Weirdness Chang!
Hey Papp -
Callistus Valerius (sp?) is someone else.
FYI, there is nothing weird about masturbation.
Active in the last 60 minutes
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.