Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Bearings needed to rebuild Speedplay Frog pedals

Started by bfd · · Last activity · 6 posts · 670 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
22 April 2008
Last activity
23 April 2008
Original author
bfd
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
670
Views / 30 days
10

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Speedplay provides a detailed description on how to take apart its
    Frog pedal. I called Speedplay about what bearings are needed and was
    told to buy their bearing kit from them that contains 2 cartridge
    bearings, 2 needle bearings and 2 o-rings. The cost is $37, Ouch!

    I took my Frog pedal apart and found the bearings to be a basic
    cartridge and needle bearing. I went to a local bearing shop and
    picked up one cartridge bearing (p/n R4Z) and 1 needle bearing (p/n
    HK1010) for a total cost of $10. The o-ring is replaceable, but the
    one I had seemed OK, so I'm reusing. So DIY and save!

  2. In article
    <[email hidden]>,

    bfd said:

    Speedplay provides a detailed description on how to take apart its
    Frog pedal. I called Speedplay about what bearings are needed and was
    told to buy their bearing kit from them that contains 2 cartridge
    bearings, 2 needle bearings and 2 o-rings. The cost is $37, Ouch!

    I took my Frog pedal apart and found the bearings to be a basic
    cartridge and needle bearing. I went to a local bearing shop and
    picked up one cartridge bearing (p/n R4Z) and 1 needle bearing (p/n
    HK1010) for a total cost of $10. The o-ring is replaceable, but the
    one I had seemed OK, so I'm reusing. So DIY and save!

    Thanks for the parts references. I've got a pair of these that need to
    be rebuilt.

  3. I did basically the same thing back in Nov, 2006. I found them online from
    vxb.com and got a little better price, especially on a quantity which can
    help with shipping. I don't have good access to a bearing shop. I've got
    5 sets of these pedals so I bought a package of 10 roller bearings and 8
    individual needle bearings and paid about $6 per pedal plus shipping. The
    quantity spread the shipping costs out pretty well.

    Code Name Quantity
    Price/Ea. Total
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    R4ZZ 10 Bearing R4ZZ 1/4"x5/8"x0.196" Shielded 1
    $14.95 $14.95
    Kit6940 HK1010 Needle Bearing 10x14x10 TLA1010 8
    $3.95 $31.60
    Shipping: 3-10 Days USA Only
    w/Tracking: $9.35
    Sales
    Tax: $0.00

    As the OP said, much better than $37 and a pretty simple repair.
    Lyle

    "bfd" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Speedplay provides a detailed description on how to take apart its
    Frog pedal. I called Speedplay about what bearings are needed and was
    told to buy their bearing kit from them that contains 2 cartridge
    bearings, 2 needle bearings and 2 o-rings. The cost is $37, Ouch!

    I took my Frog pedal apart and found the bearings to be a basic
    cartridge and needle bearing. I went to a local bearing shop and
    picked up one cartridge bearing (p/n R4Z) and 1 needle bearing (p/n
    HK1010) for a total cost of $10. The o-ring is replaceable, but the
    one I had seemed OK, so I'm reusing. So DIY and save!

  4. bfd said:

    Speedplay provides a detailed description on how to take apart its
    Frog pedal. I called Speedplay about what bearings are needed and was
    told to buy their bearing kit from them that contains 2 cartridge
    bearings, 2 needle bearings and 2 o-rings. The cost is $37, Ouch!

    I took my Frog pedal apart and found the bearings to be a basic
    cartridge and needle bearing. I went to a local bearing shop and
    picked up one cartridge bearing (p/n R4Z) and 1 needle bearing (p/n
    HK1010) for a total cost of $10. The o-ring is replaceable, but the
    one I had seemed OK, so I'm reusing. So DIY and save!

    very good. but not all bearings are created equal. what brand are the
    originals and what brand did you replace them with?

  5. jim beam said:
    bfd said:

    Speedplay provides a detailed description on how to take apart its
    Frog pedal. I called Speedplay about what bearings are needed and was
    told to buy their bearing kit from them that contains 2 cartridge
    bearings, 2 needle bearings and 2 o-rings. The cost is $37, Ouch!

    Quoted message said:

    I took my Frog pedal apart and found the bearings to be a basic
    cartridge and needle bearing.  I went to a local bearing shop and
    picked up one cartridge bearing (p/n R4Z) and 1 needle bearing (p/n
    HK1010) for a total cost of $10. The o-ring is replaceable, but the
    one I had seemed OK, so I'm reusing. So DIY and save!

    very good.  but not all bearings are created equal.  what brand are the
    originals and what brand did you replace them with?

    Good question. The original R4Z was an NBK and replaced with one from
    KYY (or was it YKK? The box stated it was made in Japan). The
    original needle bearing only had the part number on it (HK 1010). The
    replacement was a [censored] (Germany) model HK1010B (Sounds like a famous
    dropout...).

    Installed the new bearings yesterday with lots of grease and the pedal
    seems to work fine (at least spinning it in my hand). I'll see how it
    works on the road. Thanks!

  6. Tim McNamara said:

    In article
    <[email hidden]>,

    bfd said:

    Speedplay provides a detailed description on how to take apart its
    Frog pedal. I called Speedplay about what bearings are needed and was
    told to buy their bearing kit from them that contains 2 cartridge
    bearings, 2 needle bearings and 2 o-rings. The cost is $37, Ouch!

    Quoted message said:

    I took my Frog pedal apart and found the bearings to be a basic
    cartridge and needle bearing.  I went to a local bearing shop and
    picked up one cartridge bearing (p/n R4Z) and 1 needle bearing (p/n
    HK1010) for a total cost of $10. The o-ring is replaceable, but the
    one I had seemed OK, so I'm reusing. So DIY and save!

    Thanks for the parts references.  I've got a pair of these that need to
    be rebuilt.

    Download the instructions from Speedplay, its a very simple fix. Good
    Luck! Brewster

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.