I'm putting 2 cups basmati in a rice cooker today, which is the way I make
it more often than not. (I soak it 30 minutes first.) Today I'm putting in
some saffron. I won't use any other spice in it today, but it got me to
wondering if there is anything else that anyone has tried that I might add.
I have added one of these at one time or another, in combination, or only
one ingredient, cardamon pods, cardamon poweder, coriander seeds or
coriander powder, fresh coriander when finished, tumeric, garam masala, but
I've never had the right amount or combination for 2 cups of basmati. I
don't care for chicken stock in basmati. There isn't an Indian spice I've
tried that I don't like.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Dee
General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion
Basmati Rice - spicin' it up
Thread navigation
Jump through the discussion
Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.
Thread details
What we know about this thread
- Original section
- General fitness, health and nutrition
- Published
- 8 April 2005
- Last activity
- 12 April 2005
- Original author
- Dee Randall
- Posts
- 38
- Discussion status
- Public discussion
- Total views
- 1,165
- Views / 30 days
- 0
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
-
-
Dee Randall said:
I'm putting 2 cups basmati in a rice cooker today, which is the way I
make it more often than not. (I soak it 30 minutes first.) Today
I'm putting in some saffron. I won't use any other spice in it
today, but it got me to wondering if there is anything else that
anyone has tried that I might add. I have added one of these at one
time or another, in combination, or only one ingredient, cardamon
pods, cardamon poweder, coriander seeds or coriander powder, fresh
coriander when finished, tumeric, garam masala, but I've never had
the right amount or combination for 2 cups of basmati. I don't care
for chicken stock in basmati. There isn't an Indian spice I've tried
that I don't like. Any suggestions? Thanks. DeeYou didn't mention anything about salt. Hopefully, a little salt is
just assumed.Crumble in some dried dundicut peppers, seeds and all.
A cinnamon stick might be interesting, but I've never tried it.
Bob
-
"zxcvbob" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
Dee Randall said:
I'm putting 2 cups basmati in a rice cooker today, which is the way I
make it more often than not. (I soak it 30 minutes first.) Today
I'm putting in some saffron. I won't use any other spice in it
today, but it got me to wondering if there is anything else that
anyone has tried that I might add. I have added one of these at one
time or another, in combination, or only one ingredient, cardamon
pods, cardamon poweder, coriander seeds or coriander powder, fresh
coriander when finished, tumeric, garam masala, but I've never had
the right amount or combination for 2 cups of basmati. I don't care
for chicken stock in basmati. There isn't an Indian spice I've tried
that I don't like. Any suggestions? Thanks. DeeYou didn't mention anything about salt. Hopefully, a little salt is just
assumed.Crumble in some dried dundicut peppers, seeds and all.
A cinnamon stick might be interesting, but I've never tried it.
Bob
Thanks, Bob. I used to not use salt when cooking rice, but now I do and
it's MUCH better. I'd never thought of dried dundicut peppers -- that, I
will do.Dee
-
I've thrown cumin seeds in when cooking basmati rice.
The other day at a local Indian restaurant I had lemon rice which was
basmati with lemon juice, various nuts/seeds, cilantro (fresh
coriander) and other veggies. I'll have to pay closer attention next
time I'm there to what was in it. It was a nice change.Heidi
-
"Heidi" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
I've thrown cumin seeds in when cooking basmati rice.
The other day at a local Indian restaurant I had lemon rice which was
basmati with lemon juice, various nuts/seeds, cilantro (fresh
coriander) and other veggies. I'll have to pay closer attention next
time I'm there to what was in it. It was a nice change.Heidi
Some coconut milk and/or shredded unsweetened coconut can be nice.
--
Peter AitkenRemove the [censored] from my email address before using.
-
Dee Randall said:
I'm putting 2 cups basmati in a rice cooker today, which is the way I
makeQuoted message said:
it more often than not. (I soak it 30 minutes first.) Today I'm
putting inQuoted message said:
some saffron. I won't use any other spice in it today, but it got me
toQuoted message said:
wondering if there is anything else that anyone has tried that I
might add.Quoted message said:
I have added one of these at one time or another, in combination, or
onlyQuoted message said:
one ingredient, cardamon pods, cardamon poweder, coriander seeds or
coriander powder, fresh coriander when finished, tumeric, garam
masala, butQuoted message said:
I've never had the right amount or combination for 2 cups of basmati.
IQuoted message said:
don't care for chicken stock in basmati. There isn't an Indian spice
I'veQuoted message said:
tried that I don't like.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.
DeeIf it's real Basmati (imported) just be sure to wash it very well...
only rice harvested in the US is fit for human consumption as packaged.Sheldon
-
"Peter Aitken" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
"Heidi" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
I've thrown cumin seeds in when cooking basmati rice.
The other day at a local Indian restaurant I had lemon rice which was
basmati with lemon juice, various nuts/seeds, cilantro (fresh
coriander) and other veggies. I'll have to pay closer attention next
time I'm there to what was in it. It was a nice change.Heidi
Some coconut milk and/or shredded unsweetened coconut can be nice.
Add a bit of turmeric and some lemon grass to the above and it takes on a
bit of a Thai feeling.A.
-
"Sheldon" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
Dee Randall said:
I'm putting 2 cups basmati in a rice cooker today, which is the way I
makeQuoted message said:
it more often than not. (I soak it 30 minutes first.) Today I'm
putting inQuoted message said:
some saffron. I won't use any other spice in it today, but it got me
toQuoted message said:
wondering if there is anything else that anyone has tried that I
might add.Quoted message said:
I have added one of these at one time or another, in combination, or
onlyQuoted message said:
one ingredient, cardamon pods, cardamon poweder, coriander seeds or
coriander powder, fresh coriander when finished, tumeric, garam
masala, butQuoted message said:
I've never had the right amount or combination for 2 cups of basmati.
IQuoted message said:
don't care for chicken stock in basmati. There isn't an Indian spice
I'veQuoted message said:
tried that I don't like.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.
DeeIf it's real Basmati (imported) just be sure to wash it very well...
only rice harvested in the US is fit for human consumption as packaged.Sheldon
Sheldon, yes, I do wash my rice pretty well. I've seen travel pictures of
the rice piled in the road, and I've been to Nepal where people sit for
hours picking lice off the top of each other's heads. Yuk! Look what you've
done now!
However, do you have any suggestions other than just 4-5 washings?
On all my veggies, I usually spray vinegar on them after rinsing off, and
let them sit on the counter for a while.
DeeQuoted message said:
-
Anita Amaro said:
Add a bit of turmeric and some lemon grass to the above and it takes
on aQuoted message said:
bit of a Thai feeling.
Hmm, a Thai feeling... I know how a Thai feels... you got any
ingredients makes rice take on the mouth feel of Titty? heheSheldon
-
Dee Randall said:
"Sheldon" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
Quoted message said:
If it's real Basmati (imported) just be sure to wash it very
well...Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
only rice harvested in the US is fit for human consumption as
packaged.Quoted message said:
Sheldon, yes, I do wash my rice pretty well. I've seen travel
pictures ofQuoted message said:
the rice piled in the road, and I've been to Nepal where people sit
forQuoted message said:
hours picking lice off the top of each other's heads. Yuk! Look what
you'veQuoted message said:
done now!
However, do you have any suggestions other than just 4-5 washings?
On all my veggies, I usually spray vinegar on them after rinsing off,
andQuoted message said:
let them sit on the counter for a while.
Lice nothing... did you ever notice how there are no toilets within a
hundred miles of those rice paddys... the rice paddy IS the toilet...
not just for the water buffalo, all that human waste too.I wash Basmati until the water runs clear, I use a fine mesh sieve set
into a pot. Then I soak it about a half hour. Drain, rinse, and cook.
Soaked you only need one cup water to each cup dry rice. I find
Basmati cooks up better if soaked. There are at least a zillion
ingredients you can add to Basmati, or any rice for that matter.Sheldon
-
"Sheldon" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
Dee Randall said:
"Sheldon" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
Quoted message said:
If it's real Basmati (imported) just be sure to wash it very
well...Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
only rice harvested in the US is fit for human consumption as
packaged.Quoted message said:
Sheldon, yes, I do wash my rice pretty well. I've seen travel
pictures ofQuoted message said:
the rice piled in the road, and I've been to Nepal where people sit
forQuoted message said:
hours picking lice off the top of each other's heads. Yuk! Look what
you'veQuoted message said:
done now!
However, do you have any suggestions other than just 4-5 washings?
On all my veggies, I usually spray vinegar on them after rinsing off,
andQuoted message said:
let them sit on the counter for a while.
Lice nothing... did you ever notice how there are no toilets within a
hundred miles of those rice paddys... the rice paddy IS the toilet...
not just for the water buffalo, all that human waste too.I wash Basmati until the water runs clear, I use a fine mesh sieve set
into a pot. Then I soak it about a half hour. Drain, rinse, and cook.
Soaked you only need one cup water to each cup dry rice. I find
Basmati cooks up better if soaked. There are at least a zillion
ingredients you can add to Basmati, or any rice for that matter.Sheldon
Finally!! A person who only uses one cup water to each cup dry rice!! I
thought I am the only person in the universe that uses 1-1.One winter we camped at Cocoapah Bend, Yuma, Arizona, next to the lettuce
fields. We would occasionally see the planes spraying the fields; but for
some reason early in the morning a few dogs would run up and down the rows
of lettuce, one set of the dog's legs on each side of the lettuce head,
dragging their 'bottoms' all the complete row. It was the silliest sight
and still stays in my mind when I'm shopping for lettuce.
Dee -
On Fri 08 Apr 2005 11:18:21a, Sheldon wrote in rec.food.cooking:
Quoted message said:
Dee Randall said:
"Sheldon" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
Quoted message said:
If it's real Basmati (imported) just be sure to wash it very well...
only rice harvested in the US is fit for human consumption as
packaged.Sheldon, yes, I do wash my rice pretty well. I've seen travel
pictures of the rice piled in the road, and I've been to Nepal where
people sit for hours picking lice off the top of each other's heads.
Yuk! Look what you've done now!
However, do you have any suggestions other than just 4-5 washings?
On all my veggies, I usually spray vinegar on them after rinsing off,
and let them sit on the counter for a while.Lice nothing... did you ever notice how there are no toilets within a
hundred miles of those rice paddys... the rice paddy IS the toilet...
not just for the water buffalo, all that human waste too.I wash Basmati until the water runs clear, I use a fine mesh sieve set
into a pot. Then I soak it about a half hour. Drain, rinse, and cook.
Soaked you only need one cup water to each cup dry rice. I find
Basmati cooks up better if soaked. There are at least a zillion
ingredients you can add to Basmati, or any rice for that matter.Sheldon
Sheldon,
Does the soak first, then cook in an equal amount of water also apply to
most other white rices?Thanks...
--
Wayne Boatwright
____________________________________________Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.
Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974 -
Wayne Boatwright said:
Sheldon,Does the soak first, then cook in an equal amount of water also apply to
most other white rices?Thanks...
I've done that with brown rice. It cooks a lot faster that way.
Bob
-
On Fri 08 Apr 2005 12:20:49p, zxcvbob wrote in rec.food.cooking:
Quoted message said:
Wayne Boatwright said:
Sheldon,Does the soak first, then cook in an equal amount of water also apply to
most other white rices?Thanks...
I've done that with brown rice. It cooks a lot faster that way.
Bob
Thanks, Bob. Good to know about the brown rice, one of my favorites.
I've only ever tried soaking wild rice before cooking. It cooks faster,
but the added benefit with wild rice is the grain not "exploding" before it
gets tender.--
Wayne Boatwright
____________________________________________Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.
Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974 -
"Wayne Boatwright" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
On Fri 08 Apr 2005 11:18:21a, Sheldon wrote in rec.food.cooking:
Quoted message said:
Dee Randall said:
"Sheldon" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
>
> If it's real Basmati (imported) just be sure to wash it very well...
> only rice harvested in the US is fit for human consumption as
> packaged.Sheldon, yes, I do wash my rice pretty well. I've seen travel
pictures of the rice piled in the road, and I've been to Nepal where
people sit for hours picking lice off the top of each other's heads.
Yuk! Look what you've done now!
However, do you have any suggestions other than just 4-5 washings?
On all my veggies, I usually spray vinegar on them after rinsing off,
and let them sit on the counter for a while.Lice nothing... did you ever notice how there are no toilets within a
hundred miles of those rice paddys... the rice paddy IS the toilet...
not just for the water buffalo, all that human waste too.I wash Basmati until the water runs clear, I use a fine mesh sieve set
into a pot. Then I soak it about a half hour. Drain, rinse, and cook.
Soaked you only need one cup water to each cup dry rice. I find
Basmati cooks up better if soaked. There are at least a zillion
ingredients you can add to Basmati, or any rice for that matter.Sheldon
Sheldon,
Does the soak first, then cook in an equal amount of water also apply to
most other white rices?Thanks...
Quoted message said:
Wayne Boatwright
Wayne, I don't soak my Japanese rice. For me, it makes it too mushy. And
it's mushy enough without soaking. However, other's might.I almost always go 1-1; sometimes 1-1/4 cup water to 1 cup rice; depending
on the rice; for instance, I would go 1-1/4 with Tex-Mex without soaking,
and perhaps 1-1 WITH soaking.
I usually use a rice cooker, although I am capable of cooking rice on the
stove.
Today I put the rice cooker outside to 'cook.' Seems like a reasonable thing
to do.
Dee -
On Fri 08 Apr 2005 04:12:40p, Monsur Fromage du Pollet wrote in
rec.food.cooking:Quoted message said:
Dee Randall wrote on 08 Apr 2005 in rec.food.cooking
Quoted message said:
"Wayne Boatwright" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
On Fri 08 Apr 2005 11:18:21a, Sheldon wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> Dee Randall wrote:
>> "Sheldon" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
>> >
>> > If it's real Basmati (imported) just be sure to wash it very
>> > well... only rice harvested in the US is fit for human
>> > consumption as packaged.
>>
>> Sheldon, yes, I do wash my rice pretty well. I've seen travel
>> pictures of the rice piled in the road, and I've been to Nepal
>> where people sit for hours picking lice off the top of each
>> other's heads. Yuk! Look what you've done now!
>> However, do you have any suggestions other than just 4-5
>> washings? On all my veggies, I usually spray vinegar on them
>> after rinsing off, and let them sit on the counter for a while.
>
> Lice nothing... did you ever notice how there are no toilets
> within a hundred miles of those rice paddys... the rice paddy
> IS the toilet... not just for the water buffalo, all that human
> waste too.
>
> I wash Basmati until the water runs clear, I use a fine mesh
> sieve set into a pot. Then I soak it about a half hour.
> Drain, rinse, and cook.
> Soaked you only need one cup water to each cup dry rice. I find
> Basmati cooks up better if soaked. There are at least a
> zillion ingredients you can add to Basmati, or any rice for
> that matter.
>
> SheldonSheldon,
Does the soak first, then cook in an equal amount of water also
apply to most other white rices?Thanks...
Quoted message said:
Wayne Boatwright
Wayne, I don't soak my Japanese rice. For me, it makes it too
mushy. And it's mushy enough without soaking. However, other's might.I almost always go 1-1; sometimes 1-1/4 cup water to 1 cup rice;
depending
on the rice; for instance, I would go 1-1/4 with Tex-Mex without
soaking, and perhaps 1-1 WITH soaking.
I usually use a rice cooker, although I am capable of cooking rice
on the stove.
Today I put the rice cooker outside to 'cook.' Seems like a
reasonable thing to do.
DeeBefore I was diagnosed type 2 diabetic, I would cook a cup of Basmati
rice in the rice cooker. I would use a can of cream of chicken soup and
enough water/chicken stock to make 2 cups liquid. I also would chuck in
some chunked chicken thighs and a bit of mushrooms, onions and/or
whatever other veggies I had on hand and felt like using. After the
rice cooker turned to warm; I'd also chuck in a handfull of frozen peas
then stir and serve. I am a working stiff and I am hungry when I get
home...I don't/can't wait the additional soaking time required to go
the other way. This was a good, fairly cheap, fast 1 pot meal and
depending of what I added to the rice... enough leftovers for lunch the
next day.I've made virtually the same concoction many times with the same ratios,
but I've always cooked it in the oven. Very tasty. With two of us eating
it, there were never any leftovers. <g>--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
____________________________________________Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.
Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974 -
"Wayne Boatwright" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
On Fri 08 Apr 2005 02:52:48p, Dee Randall wrote in rec.food.cooking:
Quoted message said:
"Wayne Boatwright" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...Quoted message said:
On Fri 08 Apr 2005 11:18:21a, Sheldon wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> Dee Randall wrote:
>> "Sheldon" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
>> >
>> > If it's real Basmati (imported) just be sure to wash it very
>> > well... only rice harvested in the US is fit for human consumption
>> > as packaged.
>>
>> Sheldon, yes, I do wash my rice pretty well. I've seen travel
>> pictures of the rice piled in the road, and I've been to Nepal where
>> people sit for hours picking lice off the top of each other's heads.
>> Yuk! Look what you've done now!
>> However, do you have any suggestions other than just 4-5 washings?
>> On all my veggies, I usually spray vinegar on them after rinsing off,
>> and let them sit on the counter for a while.
>
> Lice nothing... did you ever notice how there are no toilets within a
> hundred miles of those rice paddys... the rice paddy IS the toilet...
> not just for the water buffalo, all that human waste too.
>
> I wash Basmati until the water runs clear, I use a fine mesh sieve set
> into a pot. Then I soak it about a half hour. Drain, rinse, and
> cook.
> Soaked you only need one cup water to each cup dry rice. I find
> Basmati cooks up better if soaked. There are at least a zillion
> ingredients you can add to Basmati, or any rice for that matter.
>
> SheldonSheldon,
Does the soak first, then cook in an equal amount of water also apply
to most other white rices?Thanks...
Quoted message said:
Wayne Boatwright
Wayne, I don't soak my Japanese rice. For me, it makes it too mushy.
And it's mushy enough without soaking. However, other's might.Thanks, Dee. Well, I don't ever buy Japanese rice. I actually find it
too
"delicate" for my taste.Quoted message said:
I almost always go 1-1; sometimes 1-1/4 cup water to 1 cup rice;
depending
on the rice; for instance, I would go 1-1/4 with Tex-Mex without
soaking, and perhaps 1-1 WITH soaking.
I usually use a rice cooker, although I am capable of cooking rice on
the stove.
Today I put the rice cooker outside to 'cook.' Seems like a reasonable
thing to do.
DeeI don't own a rice cooker, probably never will, not because I wouldn't
want
one, but I cook rice rarely enough that it doesn't warrant the cost or the
storage space. I will definitely try some various ratios and try pre-
soaking. I've tried plenty of methods using non-soaked rice.Unless I'm planning on using the rice in another dish, I really prefer
rice
the way one most often gets it in Chinese restaurants, on the dry side and
rather "clumpy". I've never really been able to recreate that.--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
____________________________________________
Wayne, I like rice this way, too. I'm pretty sure the restaurants use large
rice cookers to make their rice, not by pot on top of the stove. But I
think to get this dry, clumpy rice, you could get it only by cooking in a
rice cooker. Otherwise, you would really have to watch your stove burner to
make sure it didn't dry out and burn. Also, this dry, clumpy rice comes
about -- I think -- by it sitting around a while, not being served right
away. Let us all know if, when you get your dry, clumpy rice -- just try a
little less water, first. Also, I don't think restaurants use very much
oil/butter, which inclines soy sauce just to run off instead of soak up.By the way, does anyone know why Canadians use mushroom soy sauce -- I'm
sure not all do, but every Chinese restaurant I've eaten in in Canada has
used the mushroom soy sauce.Dee
-
We usually use Basmati to make Plain / Steamed rice or Polau (aka
Pilaf). For Plain Rice no seasoning or spice (not even Salt). For Polau
the "siple" recipe that we follow is:* melt some butter or ghee
* add some ginger (fresh is prefered, but powder can be substituted)
* add cardamon & cinnamon
* add the washed & drained rice to the butter and ginger
* constantly stir the rice to make sure every individual rice grain
has a chance to be coated with the butter / ghee on mid to mid-hi heat
* after ~10 minutes, add liquid and salt
* stir very gently once or twice, but no more
* wait for a boil
* immediately turn heat to med to med-low
* cover for about 25 - 35 minThe liquid would be approximately 1.5 times the amount of rice. So, for
2 cups of rice there would be ~3 cups of liquid. The liquid is mostly
water with very little whole milk. For 3 cups of liquid there would be
about a quarter of a cup of milk.We almost never ever soak the rice in water. In tends to break the
rice. Many of our friends use the cooker, but we haven't tried it yet.- manzoor
-
On Sat 09 Apr 2005 08:43:22a, Manzoorul Hassan wrote in rec.food.cooking:
Quoted message said:
We usually use Basmati to make Plain / Steamed rice or Polau (aka
Pilaf). For Plain Rice no seasoning or spice (not even Salt). For Polau
the "siple" recipe that we follow is:* melt some butter or ghee
* add some ginger (fresh is prefered, but powder can be substituted)
* add cardamon & cinnamon
* add the washed & drained rice to the butter and ginger
* constantly stir the rice to make sure every individual rice grain
has a chance to be coated with the butter / ghee on mid to mid-hi heat
* after ~10 minutes, add liquid and salt
* stir very gently once or twice, but no more
* wait for a boil
* immediately turn heat to med to med-low
* cover for about 25 - 35 minThe liquid would be approximately 1.5 times the amount of rice. So, for
2 cups of rice there would be ~3 cups of liquid. The liquid is mostly
water with very little whole milk. For 3 cups of liquid there would be
about a quarter of a cup of milk.We almost never ever soak the rice in water. In tends to break the
rice. Many of our friends use the cooker, but we haven't tried it yet.- manzoor
That sounds delicious!
--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
____________________________________________Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.
Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974 -
On Sat 09 Apr 2005 07:29:46a, Dee Randall wrote in rec.food.cooking:
Quoted message said:
Quoted message said:
Unless I'm planning on using the rice in another dish, I really prefer
rice the way one most often gets it in Chinese restaurants, on the dry
side and rather "clumpy". I've never really been able to recreate
that.--
Wayne Boatwright *¨*
____________________________________________
Wayne, I like rice this way, too. I'm pretty sure the restaurants use
large rice cookers to make their rice, not by pot on top of the stove.
But I think to get this dry, clumpy rice, you could get it only by
cooking in a rice cooker. Otherwise, you would really have to watch
your stove burner to make sure it didn't dry out and burn. Also, this
dry, clumpy rice comes about -- I think -- by it sitting around a while,
not being served right away. Let us all know if, when you get your dry,
clumpy rice -- just try a little less water, first. Also, I don't think
restaurants use very much oil/butter, which inclines soy sauce just to
run off instead of soak up.By the way, does anyone know why Canadians use mushroom soy sauce -- I'm
sure not all do, but every Chinese restaurant I've eaten in in Canada
has used the mushroom soy sauce.Dee
Thanks, Dee. All points well taken, and I wil experiment.
--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*
____________________________________________Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day.
Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Active in the last 60 minutes
Active in this thread
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.