Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

Back in the USA (sorta beer / home report)

Started by Sand Squid · · Last activity · 94 posts · 3,033 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
30 September 2006
Last activity
24 October 2006
Original author
Sand Squid
Posts
94
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,033
Views / 30 days
112

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 94
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. The good news: I'm out of the sandbox !!!!!!!
    The bad news: I'm heading back out in for another tour in March.

    Durring a layover in Germany I enjoyed a Dortmunder and a
    Jägermeister, they were divine.

    Upon my arrival to Norfolk, VA I scouted out a few decent liquor stores
    and found some goods to satisfy my craving for some "serious" hops. I
    lucked out and after 4 stops I had a six pack each of: Dogfish Head
    Brewery 60 Minute IPA, and Cottonwood Endo IPA, coupled with a bottle
    of Buffalo Trace has made for several enjoyable evenings while I try to
    fight through the De-Mob Porcess and get my ass back to home.

    Hanging out in the "smoke pit" several picnic tables, and a BBQ stand
    in th courtyard of the B.E.Q.( Bachelor Enlisted Quarters.... think of
    a big cheap military only hotel) surrouded by dozens folks young
    enough to be my children doing keg stands and being about the only
    married one among them is a "different" experience to say the least...
    It was not easy to decline the blatant advances of drunked 20 year old
    females at first but it's getting much easier now. (Nice to see not
    much has changed in Norfolk in the past 20 years ;-)

    No riding yet. I shipped my Van Dessel SS home via Military Air Cargo a
    week before I broke camp, so I've been relegated to spining on the
    stationary bike in the Gym while grooving to my iPod. There is a
    Scalpel w/ w Left HeadShok chained to the bike rack every night. I have
    not found the owner yet, but I thought to leave a note on his steed
    begging for a rip around the Base. I know it sounds like a wierd thing
    to do, but it is the first "real" bike I've seen in almost a year, and
    I'm jones'in for a ride, even though it is a CrapN'Fail.

    Some things I've come to appreciate, more than I could ever imagine
    after almost 9 months in the Desert:

    Of course the essentials: beer, and beautiful women.
    Wearing something (anything) other than DCU's
    Seeing any color besides "brown" and "sand"
    Trees, shrubs flowers and foliage of ay kind
    The feel of grass (lawn type ;-) between your toes
    Laying on your back on a freshly mowed lawn and watching CLOUDS roll
    by.
    Rain, ohh god rain felt so good! aboyt a 3 dozen of us were just
    standing outside in the pouring rain two nights ago, it was AMAZING.
    Not having to get dressed and pull on your boots and hike 100 Meters to
    use the latrine in the middle of the night.

    When I was over there a Master Gunnery Sergeant (that would be a USMC
    E-9) and I were talking and he made a comment that I did not really
    entirely grasp untill I got home: "Freedom has a flavor the protected
    will never know." Now that I'm back, I get it.

  2. Sand Squid said:

    When I was over there a Master Gunnery Sergeant (that would be a USMC
    E-9) and I were talking and he made a comment that I did not really
    entirely grasp untill I got home: "Freedom has a flavor the protected
    will never know." Now that I'm back, I get it.

    WTF is that supposed to mean? Does he think he's protecting the rest of
    the country? He needs to read the latest out of W. House to learn how
    much his buddies deaths have been protecting his family back home.
    Even the King is running out of excuses to be there.
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2006/09/27/MNGC4LDHSF1.DTL

    Shawn

  3. Sand Squid said:

    The good news: I'm out of the sandbox !!!!!!!
    The bad news: I'm heading back out in for another tour in March.

    Durring a layover in Germany I enjoyed a Dortmunder and a
    Jägermeister, they were divine.

    Upon my arrival to Norfolk, VA I scouted out a few decent liquor
    stores and found some goods to satisfy my craving for some "serious"
    hops. I lucked out and after 4 stops I had a six pack each of:
    Dogfish Head Brewery 60 Minute IPA, and Cottonwood Endo IPA, coupled
    with a bottle of Buffalo Trace has made for several enjoyable
    evenings while I try to fight through the De-Mob Porcess and get my
    ass back to home.

    Hanging out in the "smoke pit" several picnic tables, and a BBQ stand
    in th courtyard of the B.E.Q.( Bachelor Enlisted Quarters.... think of
    a big cheap military only hotel) surrouded by dozens folks young
    enough to be my children doing keg stands and being about the only
    married one among them is a "different" experience to say the least...
    It was not easy to decline the blatant advances of drunked 20 year old
    females at first but it's getting much easier now. (Nice to see not
    much has changed in Norfolk in the past 20 years ;-)

    No riding yet. I shipped my Van Dessel SS home via Military Air Cargo
    a week before I broke camp, so I've been relegated to spining on the
    stationary bike in the Gym while grooving to my iPod. There is a
    Scalpel w/ w Left HeadShok chained to the bike rack every night. I
    have not found the owner yet, but I thought to leave a note on his
    steed begging for a rip around the Base. I know it sounds like a
    wierd thing to do, but it is the first "real" bike I've seen in
    almost a year, and I'm jones'in for a ride, even though it is a
    CrapN'Fail.

    Some things I've come to appreciate, more than I could ever imagine
    after almost 9 months in the Desert:

    Of course the essentials: beer, and beautiful women.
    Wearing something (anything) other than DCU's
    Seeing any color besides "brown" and "sand"
    Trees, shrubs flowers and foliage of ay kind
    The feel of grass (lawn type ;-) between your toes
    Laying on your back on a freshly mowed lawn and watching CLOUDS roll
    by.
    Rain, ohh god rain felt so good! aboyt a 3 dozen of us were just
    standing outside in the pouring rain two nights ago, it was AMAZING.
    Not having to get dressed and pull on your boots and hike 100 Meters
    to use the latrine in the middle of the night.

    When I was over there a Master Gunnery Sergeant (that would be a USMC
    E-9) and I were talking and he made a comment that I did not really
    entirely grasp untill I got home: "Freedom has a flavor the protected
    will never know." Now that I'm back, I get it.

    Welcome home, John. And thanks. (MOST of us appreciate what you do.)

    Bill S.

  4. Shawn said:
    Sand Squid said:

    When I was over there a Master Gunnery Sergeant (that would be a USMC
    E-9) and I were talking and he made a comment that I did not really
    entirely grasp untill I got home: "Freedom has a flavor the protected
    will never know." Now that I'm back, I get it.

    WTF is that supposed to mean?

    It means you need to walk a mile in another Man's shoes.

    JD

  5. Sand Squid said:


    The good news: I'm out of the sandbox !!!!!!!
    The bad news: I'm heading back out in for another tour in March.

    Durring a layover in Germany I enjoyed a Dortmunder and a
    Jägermeister, they were divine.

    Upon my arrival to Norfolk, VA I scouted out a few decent liquor stores
    and found some goods to satisfy my craving for some "serious" hops. I
    lucked out and after 4 stops I had a six pack each of: Dogfish Head
    Brewery 60 Minute IPA, and Cottonwood Endo IPA, coupled with a bottle
    of Buffalo Trace has made for several enjoyable evenings while I try to
    fight through the De-Mob Porcess and get my ass back to home.

    Hanging out in the "smoke pit" several picnic tables, and a BBQ stand
    in th courtyard of the B.E.Q.( Bachelor Enlisted Quarters.... think of
    a big cheap military only hotel) surrouded by dozens folks young
    enough to be my children doing keg stands and being about the only
    married one among them is a "different" experience to say the least...
    It was not easy to decline the blatant advances of drunked 20 year old
    females at first but it's getting much easier now. (Nice to see not
    much has changed in Norfolk in the past 20 years ;-)

    No riding yet. I shipped my Van Dessel SS home via Military Air Cargo a
    week before I broke camp, so I've been relegated to spining on the
    stationary bike in the Gym while grooving to my iPod. There is a
    Scalpel w/ w Left HeadShok chained to the bike rack every night. I have
    not found the owner yet, but I thought to leave a note on his steed
    begging for a rip around the Base. I know it sounds like a wierd thing
    to do, but it is the first "real" bike I've seen in almost a year, and
    I'm jones'in for a ride, even though it is a CrapN'Fail.

    Some things I've come to appreciate, more than I could ever imagine
    after almost 9 months in the Desert:

    Of course the essentials: beer, and beautiful women.
    Wearing something (anything) other than DCU's
    Seeing any color besides "brown" and "sand"
    Trees, shrubs flowers and foliage of ay kind
    The feel of grass (lawn type ;-) between your toes
    Laying on your back on a freshly mowed lawn and watching CLOUDS roll
    by.
    Rain, ohh god rain felt so good! aboyt a 3 dozen of us were just
    standing outside in the pouring rain two nights ago, it was AMAZING.
    Not having to get dressed and pull on your boots and hike 100 Meters to
    use the latrine in the middle of the night.

    When I was over there a Master Gunnery Sergeant (that would be a USMC
    E-9) and I were talking and he made a comment that I did not really
    entirely grasp untill I got home: "Freedom has a flavor the protected
    will never know." Now that I'm back, I get it.

    Welcome back - home! And may your next tour end exactly the same way.
    --
    Slack

  6. Sand Squid said:

    The good news: I'm out of the sandbox !!!!!!!

    If'n you make it over to the Left Coast by chance, I'd like to buy you
    a beer...after riding bikes of course.

    JD

  7. Sand Squid said:

    The good news: I'm out of the sandbox !!!!!!!
    The bad news: I'm heading back out in for another tour in March.

    Durring a layover in Germany I enjoyed a Dortmunder and a
    Jägermeister, they were divine.

    Upon my arrival to Norfolk, VA I scouted out a few decent liquor stores
    and found some goods to satisfy my craving for some "serious" hops. I
    lucked out and after 4 stops I had a six pack each of: Dogfish Head
    Brewery 60 Minute IPA, and Cottonwood Endo IPA, coupled with a bottle
    of Buffalo Trace has made for several enjoyable evenings while I try to
    fight through the De-Mob Porcess and get my ass back to home.

    Hanging out in the "smoke pit" several picnic tables, and a BBQ stand
    in th courtyard of the B.E.Q.( Bachelor Enlisted Quarters.... think of
    a big cheap military only hotel) surrouded by dozens folks young
    enough to be my children doing keg stands and being about the only
    married one among them is a "different" experience to say the least...
    It was not easy to decline the blatant advances of drunked 20 year old
    females at first but it's getting much easier now. (Nice to see not
    much has changed in Norfolk in the past 20 years ;-)

    No riding yet. I shipped my Van Dessel SS home via Military Air Cargo a
    week before I broke camp, so I've been relegated to spining on the
    stationary bike in the Gym while grooving to my iPod. There is a
    Scalpel w/ w Left HeadShok chained to the bike rack every night. I have
    not found the owner yet, but I thought to leave a note on his steed
    begging for a rip around the Base. I know it sounds like a wierd thing
    to do, but it is the first "real" bike I've seen in almost a year, and
    I'm jones'in for a ride, even though it is a CrapN'Fail.

    Some things I've come to appreciate, more than I could ever imagine
    after almost 9 months in the Desert:

    Of course the essentials: beer, and beautiful women.
    Wearing something (anything) other than DCU's
    Seeing any color besides "brown" and "sand"
    Trees, shrubs flowers and foliage of ay kind
    The feel of grass (lawn type ;-) between your toes
    Laying on your back on a freshly mowed lawn and watching CLOUDS roll
    by.
    Rain, ohh god rain felt so good! aboyt a 3 dozen of us were just
    standing outside in the pouring rain two nights ago, it was AMAZING.
    Not having to get dressed and pull on your boots and hike 100 Meters to
    use the latrine in the middle of the night.

    When I was over there a Master Gunnery Sergeant (that would be a USMC
    E-9) and I were talking and he made a comment that I did not really
    entirely grasp untill I got home: "Freedom has a flavor the protected
    will never know." Now that I'm back, I get it.

    Thank you for your service to our country.

  8. Sand Squid said:

    When I was over there a Master Gunnery Sergeant (that would be a USMC
    E-9) and I were talking and he made a comment that I did not really
    entirely grasp untill I got home: "Freedom has a flavor the protected
    will never know." Now that I'm back, I get it.

    Thanks a lot! Get a ride in soon.

    --
    Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall

    If FDR fought fascism the way Bush fights terrorism, we'd all be
    speaking German now.

  9. Shawn said:
    Sand Squid said:

    When I was over there a Master Gunnery Sergeant (that would be a USMC
    E-9) and I were talking and he made a comment that I did not really
    entirely grasp untill I got home: "Freedom has a flavor the protected
    will never know." Now that I'm back, I get it.

    WTF is that supposed to mean? Does he think he's protecting the rest of
    the country? He needs to read the latest out of W. House to learn how
    much his buddies deaths have been protecting his family back home.
    Even the King is running out of excuses to be there.
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2006/09/27/MNGC4LDHSF1.DTL

    Remember your most "epic" mtb ride. My guess is, every patrol the Army
    does is worse.

    If you're saying that all that hard work and sacrifice is probably going
    to mean squat, then I hope you're wrong, think you're right.

    --
    Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall

    If FDR fought fascism the way Bush fights terrorism, we'd all be
    speaking German now.

  10. JD said:
    Shawn said:
    Sand Squid said:

    When I was over there a Master Gunnery Sergeant (that would be a USMC
    E-9) and I were talking and he made a comment that I did not really
    entirely grasp untill I got home: "Freedom has a flavor the protected
    will never know." Now that I'm back, I get it.

    WTF is that supposed to mean?

    It means you need to walk a mile in another Man's shoes.

    I get the metaphor and all. My point was; them being over there is
    making us less safe by the admission of the W House, so what's the point?
    My father died in a pointless war, it sickens me to see it happening
    again, and bothers me that the ones dieing now think they're doing
    something with a beneficial purpose.
    They're not. They are just dieing. Time to bring them home.

    Shawn

  11. Sand Squid said:

    The good news: I'm out of the sandbox !!!!!!!
    The bad news: I'm heading back out in for another tour in March.

    Durring a layover in Germany I enjoyed a Dortmunder and a
    Jägermeister, they were divine.

    Upon my arrival to Norfolk, VA I scouted out a few decent liquor stores
    and found some goods to satisfy my craving for some "serious" hops. I
    lucked out and after 4 stops I had a six pack each of: Dogfish Head
    Brewery 60 Minute IPA, and Cottonwood Endo IPA, coupled with a bottle
    of Buffalo Trace has made for several enjoyable evenings while I try to
    fight through the De-Mob Porcess and get my ass back to home.

    Hanging out in the "smoke pit" several picnic tables, and a BBQ stand
    in th courtyard of the B.E.Q.( Bachelor Enlisted Quarters.... think of
    a big cheap military only hotel) surrouded by dozens folks young
    enough to be my children doing keg stands and being about the only
    married one among them is a "different" experience to say the least...
    It was not easy to decline the blatant advances of drunked 20 year old
    females at first but it's getting much easier now. (Nice to see not
    much has changed in Norfolk in the past 20 years ;-)

    No riding yet. I shipped my Van Dessel SS home via Military Air Cargo a
    week before I broke camp, so I've been relegated to spining on the
    stationary bike in the Gym while grooving to my iPod. There is a
    Scalpel w/ w Left HeadShok chained to the bike rack every night. I have
    not found the owner yet, but I thought to leave a note on his steed
    begging for a rip around the Base. I know it sounds like a wierd thing
    to do, but it is the first "real" bike I've seen in almost a year, and
    I'm jones'in for a ride, even though it is a CrapN'Fail.

    Some things I've come to appreciate, more than I could ever imagine
    after almost 9 months in the Desert:

    Of course the essentials: beer, and beautiful women.
    Wearing something (anything) other than DCU's
    Seeing any color besides "brown" and "sand"
    Trees, shrubs flowers and foliage of ay kind
    The feel of grass (lawn type ;-) between your toes
    Laying on your back on a freshly mowed lawn and watching CLOUDS roll
    by.
    Rain, ohh god rain felt so good! aboyt a 3 dozen of us were just
    standing outside in the pouring rain two nights ago, it was AMAZING.
    Not having to get dressed and pull on your boots and hike 100 Meters to
    use the latrine in the middle of the night.

    When I was over there a Master Gunnery Sergeant (that would be a USMC
    E-9) and I were talking and he made a comment that I did not really
    entirely grasp untill I got home: "Freedom has a flavor the protected
    will never know." Now that I'm back, I get it.

    Congratulations, and thank you for you sacrifice and service. I like
    the freedom quote. Reminds me of the comments a group of Iranian
    refugees made to me over dinner one night, when I asked them what they
    impressed them the most when they came to America. They said
    everybody smiles here, and you don't have to live in constant terror.
    That's freedom. It's not the perfect, but it's the best thing going.
    They also asked if there was any chance George Bush could continue his
    advance and liberate their country, too.

    So go stand in the rain and drink some good beer, have a ride, get home
    and jump on your woman, soldier, (in whateve order you like). You've
    certainly earned it, and for that again, I thank you.

    CDB

  12. Sand Squid said:


    The good news: I'm out of the sandbox !!!!!!!
    The bad news: I'm heading back out in for another tour in March.

    Durring a layover in Germany I enjoyed a Dortmunder and a
    Jägermeister, they were divine.

    Upon my arrival to Norfolk, VA I scouted out a few decent liquor stores
    and found some goods to satisfy my craving for some "serious" hops. I
    lucked out and after 4 stops I had a six pack each of: Dogfish Head
    Brewery 60 Minute IPA, and Cottonwood Endo IPA, coupled with a bottle
    of Buffalo Trace has made for several enjoyable evenings while I try to
    fight through the De-Mob Porcess and get my ass back to home.

    Hanging out in the "smoke pit" several picnic tables, and a BBQ stand
    in th courtyard of the B.E.Q.( Bachelor Enlisted Quarters.... think of
    a big cheap military only hotel) surrouded by dozens folks young
    enough to be my children doing keg stands and being about the only
    married one among them is a "different" experience to say the least...
    It was not easy to decline the blatant advances of drunked 20 year old
    females at first but it's getting much easier now. (Nice to see not
    much has changed in Norfolk in the past 20 years ;-)

    No riding yet. I shipped my Van Dessel SS home via Military Air Cargo a
    week before I broke camp, so I've been relegated to spining on the
    stationary bike in the Gym while grooving to my iPod. There is a
    Scalpel w/ w Left HeadShok chained to the bike rack every night. I have
    not found the owner yet, but I thought to leave a note on his steed
    begging for a rip around the Base. I know it sounds like a wierd thing
    to do, but it is the first "real" bike I've seen in almost a year, and
    I'm jones'in for a ride, even though it is a CrapN'Fail.

    Some things I've come to appreciate, more than I could ever imagine
    after almost 9 months in the Desert:

    Of course the essentials: beer, and beautiful women.
    Wearing something (anything) other than DCU's
    Seeing any color besides "brown" and "sand"
    Trees, shrubs flowers and foliage of ay kind
    The feel of grass (lawn type ;-) between your toes
    Laying on your back on a freshly mowed lawn and watching CLOUDS roll
    by.
    Rain, ohh god rain felt so good! aboyt a 3 dozen of us were just
    standing outside in the pouring rain two nights ago, it was AMAZING.
    Not having to get dressed and pull on your boots and hike 100 Meters to
    use the latrine in the middle of the night.

    When I was over there a Master Gunnery Sergeant (that would be a USMC
    E-9) and I were talking and he made a comment that I did not really
    entirely grasp untill I got home: "Freedom has a flavor the protected
    will never know." Now that I'm back, I get it.

    Thank you for your service!! Glad you're back safe and sound.
    (Cold beer & Hot Women) Indeed! :-)

    -Grig

  13. Paladin said:


    They also asked if there was any chance George Bush could continue his
    advance and liberate their country, too.

    Welcome back, Clyde, and sorry to hear it's not for good.

    And also sorry to see that there are so many people willing to use your
    return as an opportunity to make cheap political points. You and others
    like you deserve better.

    CC

  14. Sand Squid said:

    The good news: I'm out of the sandbox !!!!!!!
    The bad news: I'm heading back out in for another tour in March.

    When I was over there a Master Gunnery Sergeant (that would be a USMC
    E-9) and I were talking and he made a comment that I did not really
    entirely grasp untill I got home: "Freedom has a flavor the protected
    will never know." Now that I'm back, I get it.

    Welcome back John!
    I read the quote loud and clear.
    Thanks for all that you do...
    Just remember if we meet the beer is on me!

    I hope you enjoy the living hell out your time off...

    Jimbo(san)

  15. In the previous article said:

    The good news: I'm out of the sandbox !!!!!!!
    The bad news: I'm heading back out in for another tour in March.

    You didn't have to go, but you did. Thank you.

    If you like tasty IPAs and you find yourself out Michigan way, drop me
    a line and I would be honored to buy you an Arcadia.
    --
    _+_ From the catapult of |If anyone disagrees with any statement I make, I
    _|70|___🙂=}- J.D. Baldwin |am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also
    \ / [email hidden]|to deny under oath that I ever made it. -T. Lehrer
    ***~~~~-----------------------------------------------------------------------

  16. (J.D. Baldwin) said:


    In the previous article said:

    The good news: I'm out of the sandbox !!!!!!!
    The bad news: I'm heading back out in for another tour in March.

    You didn't have to go, but you did. Thank you.

    If you like tasty IPAs and you find yourself out Michigan way, drop me
    a line and I would be honored to buy you an Arcadia.

    Put me down for the free beer list if you find your way to Arizona.

    Welcome home, and thanks for your service to our country.

    Mark Hickey
    Habanero Cycles
    http://www.habcycles.com
    Home of the $795 ti frame

  17. "Sand Squid" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    The good news: I'm out of the sandbox !!!!!!!
    The bad news: I'm heading back out in for another tour
    in March.

    (snip John Wayne)

    Dear Gomer,

    The sad fact is that you are merely a too; commanded by a fool. Get used to
    the commute, as W's war is just starting. I bet you wished you kept your day
    job as a Memphis meter maid.


  18. Quoted message said:

    The good news: I'm out of the sandbox !!!!!!!
    The bad news: I'm heading back out in for another tour
    in March.

    (snip John Wayne)

    Dear Gomer,

    The sad fact is that you are merely a tool commanded by a fool. Get used to
    the commute, as W's war is just starting. I bet you wished you kept your day
    job as a Memphis meter maid.

  19. You ever taken hostile fire while out on patrol? Ever run to a bunker
    under incoming mortars? Perhaps, taken a round in the chest plate of
    your body armor? Stood over the smouldering remains of men, women and
    children murdered by an IED because they didn't share the same
    religious or political views as you??? Didn't think so.

    But that's really okay with me.... Tell you what; You just go ahead and
    keep living in your pathetic state of denial, and false sense of
    security and enjoying your liberties and freedoms, and I'll keep going
    out putting my life on the line to defend your rights to express your
    opinions without fear of public execution for daring to express them.

    --
    "Are those cold yet?"

  20. Shawn said:
    JD said:
    Shawn said:

    Sand Squid wrote:
    >When I was over there a Master Gunnery Sergeant (that would be a USMC
    >E-9) and I were talking and he made a comment that I did not really
    >entirely grasp untill I got home: "Freedom has a flavor the protected
    >will never know." Now that I'm back, I get it.
    WTF is that supposed to mean?


    It means you need to walk a mile in another Man's shoes.

    I get the metaphor and all. My point was; them being over there is
    making us less safe by the admission of the W House, so what's the point?

    The point is; I'd rather play the "away game" so we never have to
    expose our families to the "home game", again.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.