Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Avid Shorty 6 Verses Shimano XT m737 Cantis

Started by Cyclopath! - Keiron · · Last activity · 9 posts · 1,026 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
3 November 2006
Last activity
6 November 2006
Original author
Cyclopath! - Keiron
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,026
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Does anybody have any personal experience or well reasoned guesses in this
    particular quandary?

    In my view the Avids look nicer but also 'look more substantial' and less
    like they would flex under load. The XTs look very much like the rather
    generic cantis that came with my rockhopper (somewhere around mid-90s model
    i think, secondhand so guessing).

    Does jumping up the canti models represent the same difference as upgrading
    from stock V's to more top-level V's?
    This being my first set of cantis i guess i'm just wondering what sort of
    performance i can expect; will these Avid/XT cantis give stopping power
    equivilent to say Deore V's or better, or worse?

    Comments appreciated.

  2. Cyclopath! - Keiron said:

    Does anybody have any personal experience or well reasoned guesses in this
    particular quandary?

    In my view the Avids look nicer but also 'look more substantial' and less
    like they would flex under load. The XTs look very much like the rather
    generic cantis that came with my rockhopper (somewhere around mid-90s model
    i think, secondhand so guessing).

    Does jumping up the canti models represent the same difference as upgrading
    from stock V's to more top-level V's?
    This being my first set of cantis i guess i'm just wondering what sort of
    performance i can expect; will these Avid/XT cantis give stopping power
    equivilent to say Deore V's or better, or worse?

    Comments appreciated.

    I think the most important factors in getting good canti performance
    are proper set up and quality brake pads. Given both of those, cantis
    will give you good performance--they're just more dependent on proper
    setup than Vs.

    Apart from that, I can share a personal experience. I was using Avid
    Shorty 4s on my cyclocross bike awhile back (essentially the same brake
    as the 6 but without the cartridge-style pad) and had severe brake
    chatter on the front end, which I just could not eliminate. I finally
    swapped them with some XTR cantis from my mountain bike. The XTRs
    worked perfectly on the cross bike, and the Avids worked perfectly on
    the rigid MTB. I suspect the shorter, stiffer fork on the MTB was a
    better mate with the Avids.

    I've heard others complain of chatter and squeal with Avids on 'cross
    bikes as well, though plenty use them with no problems. Just something
    to consider if you're using a 700c fork--if that's the case you might
    want to try the XTs.

    As far as performance, my XTRs work great for 'cross and my Avids were
    great offroad once on the MTB. I've since gone disc, but apart from
    the much-improved wet-weather performance they give me nothing over the
    Avids. Even the cheap Tektro I recently installed on a commuter stops
    great.

    Hope this helps.

  3. Quoted message said:
    Cyclopath! - Keiron said:

    Does anybody have any personal experience or well reasoned guesses in this
    particular quandary?

    In my view the Avids look nicer but also 'look more substantial' and less
    like they would flex under load. The XTs look very much like the rather
    generic cantis that came with my rockhopper (somewhere around mid-90s model
    i think, secondhand so guessing).

    Does jumping up the canti models represent the same difference as upgrading
    from stock V's to more top-level V's?
    This being my first set of cantis i guess i'm just wondering what sort of
    performance i can expect; will these Avid/XT cantis give stopping power
    equivilent to say Deore V's or better, or worse?

    Comments appreciated.

    I think the most important factors in getting good canti performance
    are proper set up and quality brake pads. Given both of those, cantis
    will give you good performance--they're just more dependent on proper
    setup than Vs.

    Apart from that, I can share a personal experience. I was using Avid
    Shorty 4s on my cyclocross bike awhile back (essentially the same brake
    as the 6 but without the cartridge-style pad) and had severe brake
    chatter on the front end, which I just could not eliminate. I finally
    swapped them with some XTR cantis from my mountain bike. The XTRs
    worked perfectly on the cross bike, and the Avids worked perfectly on
    the rigid MTB. I suspect the shorter, stiffer fork on the MTB was a
    better mate with the Avids.

    I've heard others complain of chatter and squeal with Avids on 'cross
    bikes as well, though plenty use them with no problems.

    Funny you should mention this. I was going to ask for help with this
    exact issue. I have Shorty 4s on my Soma and I cannot get the front
    brakes to stop squealing. They don't really chatter but they sure as
    hell squeal. This is with the stock pads and I have them toed in
    generously.

    Any suggestions for quieting them down?

    Thanks,
    Greg

    --
    "All my time I spent in heaven
    Revelries of dance and wine
    Waking to the sound of laughter
    Up I'd rise and kiss the sky" - The Mekons

  4. Cyclopath! - Keiron said:

    Does anybody have any personal experience or well reasoned guesses in this
    particular quandary?


    <snip>

    Quoted message said:


    Comments appreciated.

    I've no experience with the M737's, but I just installed a set of Avid
    Shorty 6's on a rigid singlespeed MTB fork. Their bushings are
    noticeably smoother than the ones on any of the other three types of
    cantilever brakes I've used, and the arms look solid. But I have two
    problems with them. First, if I set the pads pretty close to the rim, I
    can't disengage the straddle cable without loosening the fine
    adjustment screw at the brake lever. This problem springs from the
    lower mechanical advantage of "shorty" cantilevers. Second, during
    installation I stripped one of the Allen nuts that secures the brake
    pad stud to the cantilever arm. It's the same size and has the same
    torque specs as the anchor bolts and the stud bolts, yet it's got
    noticeably shallower depth, and there's not much engagement. I called
    Avid to send me a new nut, but they refused. They wanted me to warranty
    it through a shop. I didn't care for that attitude.

  5. Stephen Greenwood said:
    Cyclopath! - Keiron said:

    Does anybody have any personal experience or well reasoned guesses in this
    particular quandary?


    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    Comments appreciated.

    I've no experience with the M737's, but I just installed a set of Avid
    Shorty 6's on a rigid singlespeed MTB fork. Their bushings are
    noticeably smoother than the ones on any of the other three types of
    cantilever brakes I've used, and the arms look solid. But I have two
    problems with them. First, if I set the pads pretty close to the rim, I
    can't disengage the straddle cable without loosening the fine
    adjustment screw at the brake lever. This problem springs from the
    lower mechanical advantage of "shorty" cantilevers. Second, during
    installation I stripped one of the Allen nuts that secures the brake
    pad stud to the cantilever arm. It's the same size and has the same
    torque specs as the anchor bolts and the stud bolts, yet it's got
    noticeably shallower depth, and there's not much engagement. I called
    Avid to send me a new nut, but they refused. They wanted me to warranty
    it through a shop. I didn't care for that attitude.

    Interesting. I've called them a few times about my Avid Juicys and
    they've sent me all kinds of fittings without a second thought. I never
    demanded anything, they just sent the stuff out. In fact, so far every
    component company I've called for minor issues they've sent little stuff
    out for free without bothering me to go to a shop.

    Greg

    --
    "All my time I spent in heaven
    Revelries of dance and wine
    Waking to the sound of laughter
    Up I'd rise and kiss the sky" - The Mekons

  6. Cyclopath! - Keiron said:

    Does anybody have any personal experience or well reasoned guesses in this
    particular quandary?

    In my view the Avids look nicer but also 'look more substantial' and less
    like they would flex under load. The XTs look very much like the rather
    generic cantis that came with my rockhopper (somewhere around mid-90s model
    i think, secondhand so guessing).

    Does jumping up the canti models represent the same difference as upgrading
    from stock V's to more top-level V's?
    This being my first set of cantis i guess i'm just wondering what sort of
    performance i can expect; will these Avid/XT cantis give stopping power
    equivilent to say Deore V's or better, or worse?

    Comments appreciated.

    Avids almost always squeal like banshee...and we do not sell them,
    period. Tektros, shimano, both good units.

  7. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:

    Apart from that, I can share a personal experience. I was using Avid
    Shorty 4s on my cyclocross bike awhile back (essentially the same brake
    as the 6 but without the cartridge-style pad) and had severe brake
    chatter on the front end, which I just could not eliminate. I finally
    swapped them with some XTR cantis from my mountain bike. The XTRs
    worked perfectly on the cross bike, and the Avids worked perfectly on
    the rigid MTB. I suspect the shorter, stiffer fork on the MTB was a
    better mate with the Avids.

    Interesting that you say your MTB fork is shorter than your cyclocross
    fork. My MTB forks are no shorter than my road bike forks (I know
    because I can put my spare road bike wheels into the MTB with plenty of
    clearance) but I originally assumed that a fork for a 26x1.75 wheel
    would be shorter than a fork for a 700cx23 wheel. It ain't so.

    I do agree that rigidity is much better on the MTB.

    cheers,
    Darryl

  8. Cyclopath! - Keiron <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Does anybody have any personal experience or well reasoned guesses in this
    particular quandary?

    In my view the Avids look nicer but also 'look more substantial' and less
    like they would flex under load. The XTs look very much like the rather
    generic cantis that came with my rockhopper (somewhere around mid-90s


    model

    Quoted message said:

    i think, secondhand so guessing).

    Does jumping up the canti models represent the same difference as


    upgrading

    Quoted message said:

    from stock V's to more top-level V's?
    This being my first set of cantis i guess i'm just wondering what sort of
    performance i can expect; will these Avid/XT cantis give stopping power
    equivilent to say Deore V's or better, or worse?

    Comments appreciated.


    Many thanks to all.

    Seeing as there seems to be little to seperate their performance (apart from
    the more superficial(?) squeaking), I've decided to go with the XT as
    they're currently running at half the price of the avids.
    For those who are interested http://www.chainreactioncycles.com are selling
    the XTs at £15 each (i do not work for this company, just seemed like a half
    decent deal to me). Thanks again.

    cheers

  9. Darryl C said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:

    Apart from that, I can share a personal experience. I was using Avid
    Shorty 4s on my cyclocross bike awhile back (essentially the same brake
    as the 6 but without the cartridge-style pad) and had severe brake
    chatter on the front end, which I just could not eliminate. I finally
    swapped them with some XTR cantis from my mountain bike. The XTRs
    worked perfectly on the cross bike, and the Avids worked perfectly on
    the rigid MTB. I suspect the shorter, stiffer fork on the MTB was a
    better mate with the Avids.

    Interesting that you say your MTB fork is shorter than your cyclocross
    fork. My MTB forks are no shorter than my road bike forks (I know
    because I can put my spare road bike wheels into the MTB with plenty of
    clearance) but I originally assumed that a fork for a 26x1.75 wheel
    would be shorter than a fork for a 700cx23 wheel. It ain't so.

    I do agree that rigidity is much better on the MTB.

    cheers,
    Darryl

    Huh, I just assumed they were shorter. Maybe not. Definitely much
    thicker legs, though. I still assume the added stiffness was what kept
    the Avid from chattering on that bike, unless it was some difference in
    the canti studs or something.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.