UK and Europe · Public discussion

Autoshifting on rebuilt Raleigh

Started by bob · · Last activity · 6 posts · 363 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
11 August 2007
Last activity
12 August 2007
Original author
bob
Posts
6
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
363
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–6 of 6
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Thanks all for your comments on my rebuild. I now have a techy question.
    I was giving said Raleigh its first proper tour last night when I found
    a strange problem, namely the chain automatically shifting down a gear
    and then immediately back up every now and again. It mostly happened
    under what I like to think of as "power".

    Now, the rear cassette (Tiagra) has 8 cogs which seems an awful lot to
    me, but there you go, my mind is still in the 80's. Each shift seems to
    coincide with a chain revolution. The transmission alignment seems to be
    OK. So any ideas on the problem?

    Some thoughts of mine. Is it because I'm using a non-indexed friction
    shifter, that slight deviation from the rear cog being perfectly
    selected causes the problem. Another possibility- the chain is fitted
    with a Powerlink. This is a b****ck hair wider than the chain. Could
    this be enough to cause an inadvertent shift?

    Alternatively will the whole thing just bed down with a bit of wear?

    Your thoughts as ever appreciated.

    Cheers
    --
    geomannie

  2. bob said:

    Thanks all for your comments on my rebuild. I now have a techy question.
    I was giving said Raleigh its first proper tour last night when I found
    a strange problem, namely the chain automatically shifting down a gear
    and then immediately back up every now and again. It mostly happened
    under what I like to think of as "power".

    Now, the rear cassette (Tiagra) has 8 cogs which seems an awful lot to
    me, but there you go, my mind is still in the 80's. Each shift seems to
    coincide with a chain revolution. The transmission alignment seems to be
    OK. So any ideas on the problem?

    Some thoughts of mine. Is it because I'm using a non-indexed friction
    shifter, that slight deviation from the rear cog being perfectly
    selected causes the problem. Another possibility- the chain is fitted
    with a Powerlink. This is a b****ck hair wider than the chain. Could
    this be enough to cause an inadvertent shift?

    Alternatively will the whole thing just bed down with a bit of wear?

    Sheldon, as always, has a view. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/autoshift.html

    --
    Brian G
    www.wetwo.co.uk

  3. In message <[email hidden]>, Brian G
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:
    bob said:

    Thanks all for your comments on my rebuild. I now have a techy
    question. I was giving said Raleigh its first proper tour last night
    when I found a strange problem, namely the chain automatically
    shifting down a gear and then immediately back up every now and
    again. It mostly happened under what I like to think of as "power".
    Now, the rear cassette (Tiagra) has 8 cogs which seems an awful lot
    to me, but there you go, my mind is still in the 80's. Each shift
    seems to coincide with a chain revolution. The transmission alignment
    seems to be OK. So any ideas on the problem?
    Some thoughts of mine. Is it because I'm using a non-indexed
    friction shifter, that slight deviation from the rear cog being
    perfectly selected causes the problem. Another possibility- the chain
    is fitted with a Powerlink. This is a b****ck hair wider than the
    chain. Could this be enough to cause an inadvertent shift?
    Alternatively will the whole thing just bed down with a bit of wear?

    Sheldon, as always, has a view. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/autoshift.html


    I should have thought to look myself.

    Cable guide now greased. I'll have to wait for it to dry before testing
    however. I couldn't possibly get it wet and muddy just yet.
    --
    geomannie

  4. in message <+GTWrACZOYvGFwdB@downie#n0sapm#.co.uk>, bob

    ('downiegeon0spam.co.uk@downie#n0sapm#.co.uk') said:

    Thanks all for your comments on my rebuild. I now have a techy question.
    I was giving said Raleigh its first proper tour last night when I found
    a strange problem, namely the chain automatically shifting down a gear
    and then immediately back up every now and again. It mostly happened
    under what I like to think of as "power".

    Sorry... but this is frame flex.

    Steel frames of this vintage do flex. It's what makes them comfortable to
    ride on less-than-perfect roads. Old five- and six- speed derailleurs were
    much less sensitive, because it the cage had to move further to shift
    gear. But the cable goes from the lever, under the bottom bracket, to the
    mech, and as the frame flexes the points where the cable is held relative
    to the frame move with respect to one another. It isn't very much... but
    it doesn't need to be.

    Quoted message said:

    Now, the rear cassette (Tiagra) has 8 cogs which seems an awful lot to
    me, but there you go, my mind is still in the 80's. Each shift seems to
    coincide with a chain revolution. The transmission alignment seems to be
    OK. So any ideas on the problem?

    Some thoughts of mine. Is it because I'm using a non-indexed friction
    shifter, that slight deviation from the rear cog being perfectly
    selected causes the problem. Another possibility- the chain is fitted
    with a Powerlink. This is a b****ck hair wider than the chain. Could
    this be enough to cause an inadvertent shift?

    Possible. The cassette will be ramped, and the slightly wider link may be
    enough to catch the ramps.

    But I think (my commuter bike is also an old steel Raleigh, though nothing
    like as nice as yours) that it's frame flex.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    ;; Women are from Venus. Men are from Mars. Lusers are from Uranus.

  5. On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 13:00:06 +0100, bob

    downiegeon0spam.co.uk@downie#n0sapm#.co.uk said:

    In message <[email hidden]>, Brian G
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:
    bob said:

    Thanks all for your comments on my rebuild. I now have a techy
    question. I was giving said Raleigh its first proper tour last night
    when I found a strange problem, namely the chain automatically
    shifting down a gear and then immediately back up every now and
    again. It mostly happened under what I like to think of as "power".
    Now, the rear cassette (Tiagra) has 8 cogs which seems an awful lot
    to me, but there you go, my mind is still in the 80's. Each shift
    seems to coincide with a chain revolution. The transmission alignment
    seems to be OK. So any ideas on the problem?
    Some thoughts of mine. Is it because I'm using a non-indexed
    friction shifter, that slight deviation from the rear cog being
    perfectly selected causes the problem. Another possibility- the chain
    is fitted with a Powerlink. This is a b****ck hair wider than the
    chain. Could this be enough to cause an inadvertent shift?
    Alternatively will the whole thing just bed down with a bit of wear?

    Sheldon, as always, has a view. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/autoshift.html


    I should have thought to look myself.

    Cable guide now greased. I'll have to wait for it to dry before testing
    however. I couldn't possibly get it wet and muddy just yet.

    Shimano recommend setting the rear derailleur sprockets slightly towards the
    next biggest cassette sprocket to prevent upshifting, see:

    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/SI/105/RD-5500-5501/SI-5TK0D-En_v1_m56577569830603908.pdf

    However Bob mentions downshifting under load which is very odd.

    Neil

  6. In message <[email hidden]>, Simon
    Brooke <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    in message <+GTWrACZOYvGFwdB@downie#n0sapm#.co.uk>, bob

    ('downiegeon0spam.co.uk@downie#n0sapm#.co.uk') said:

    Thanks all for your comments on my rebuild. I now have a techy question.
    I was giving said Raleigh its first proper tour last night when I found
    a strange problem, namely the chain automatically shifting down a gear
    and then immediately back up every now and again. It mostly happened
    under what I like to think of as "power".

    Sorry... but this is frame flex.

    Steel frames of this vintage do flex. It's what makes them comfortable to
    ride on less-than-perfect roads. Old five- and six- speed derailleurs were
    much less sensitive, because it the cage had to move further to shift
    gear. But the cable goes from the lever, under the bottom bracket, to the
    mech, and as the frame flexes the points where the cable is held relative
    to the frame move with respect to one another. It isn't very much... but
    it doesn't need to be.

    Quoted message said:

    Now, the rear cassette (Tiagra) has 8 cogs which seems an awful lot to
    me, but there you go, my mind is still in the 80's. Each shift seems to
    coincide with a chain revolution. The transmission alignment seems to be
    OK. So any ideas on the problem?

    Some thoughts of mine. Is it because I'm using a non-indexed friction
    shifter, that slight deviation from the rear cog being perfectly
    selected causes the problem. Another possibility- the chain is fitted
    with a Powerlink. This is a b****ck hair wider than the chain. Could
    this be enough to cause an inadvertent shift?

    Possible. The cassette will be ramped, and the slightly wider link may be
    enough to catch the ramps.

    But I think (my commuter bike is also an old steel Raleigh, though nothing
    like as nice as yours) that it's frame flex.


    Thanks all. I think you've nailed it. Following Brian G's pointer to
    Sheldon I greased the bottom bracket cable guides. Touch wood, having
    given it a 10 mile spin, no autoshifting. I am guessing that friction
    was ratcheting up the cable tension (downshift), then it snapping back
    (upshift).

    Cheer
    --
    geomannie

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.