Road Cycling · Public discussion

Armstrong and Lemond

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 106 posts · 4,497 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
18 July 2005
Last activity
23 July 2005
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
106
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
4,497
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–60 of 106
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. B. Lafferty said:

    Mill[a]r never tested positive for the EPO he was using. Who was the
    pro rider who said last year that only stupid riders test positive?

    There was a radio interview with Marc Lotz yesterday where he said that it
    was dumb luck that they found the epo in his freezer. They had a search
    warrant because of the growth hormone/steroids investigation (the case
    Landuyt/Museeuw etc.) and stumbled upon the epo. He admitted the epo use
    earlier and now added that in spite of that he was absolutely sure they
    would not catch him by testing, so this accidental discovery was really
    just bad luck for him...

    --
    Firefox Browser - Rediscover the web - http://getffox.com/
    Thunderbird E-mail and Newsgroups - http://gettbird.com/

  2. Jack Hollis a écrit :

    Quoted message said:


    I think that Victor Conte is a much more credible source than anyone
    who has made accusations against Lance. It's a fact that Balco
    produced an undetectable steroid and VC says he personally gave
    performance enhancing drugs to Jones.

    I don't know about you, but I don't find someone who tried to cheat
    the entire track and field community a very reliable person. It reminds
    me of the continued use by district attorneys of testimony of
    confessions
    given to prison cellmates.

    Quoted message said:

    Even so, there is no PF evidence that Jones took drugs.

    There you go.

    -ilan

  3. B. Lafferty said:

    Perhaps significantly, Armstrong has not sued Lemond for defamation. That
    is probably because, as a public figure, Armstrong would have to prove
    actual malice in a US court, a rather difficult legal burden. Armstrong
    would also open himself up to discovery including deposition under oath by
    Lemond's attorneys. That could prove interesting and great fun reading.

    As you say, such a lawsuit would be incredibly difficult to win,
    especially since Greg probably hasn't said anything blatant enough
    to be provably false (can't prove a negative) or show reckless
    disregard.
    That's why the absence of a lawsuit means nothing.

  4. B. Lafferty said:

    You know quite well that not testing positive means nothing today. David
    Miller never tested positive for the EPO he was using.

    "was he on Salvodelli's team?"

    (quotes for Steven)

    Pure genus Jim,
    Ken

  5. I thought we were talking about the case between Armstrong and the
    company holding his bonus for the 6th Tour de France win, and the
    company holding the money said based on the book that came out, they
    were investigating to see if he committed a doping offense. This
    failure to pay on behalf of the insurance company was based on what was
    contained in the book, which while possibly interesting reading,
    might have a better use as TP.

    I do understand that testing is not an absolute. Pantani never tested
    positive either remember. Neither did Frigo and his wife was just
    busted with a suitcase-full o' doping products. Barring anything
    better though, it is what we have to go on in the doping cases. The
    test results. What else do we have? I don't think medical records are
    going to show much, and or could be dragged in (you tell me), as
    there is a certain right to privacy. Can medical records be subpoened
    and brought into an open court? I assume that in some cases they
    could.

    Tom

  6. Quoted message said:

    ARMSTRONG:: I'll be a fitness junkie forever, not out of shape like
    some guys. But I'm not naming names... achoo-lemond!

    How old is Lance anyway... 12? What a [censored]. Great bike racer, great cancer
    survivor, but a [censored].

  7. "Bob" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    ARMSTRONG:: I'll be a fitness junkie forever, not out of shape like
    some guys. But I'm not naming names... achoo-lemond!

    How old is Lance anyway... 12? What a [censored]. Great bike racer, great
    cancer
    survivor, but a [censored].


    Have you read Daniel Coyle's book yet?

  8. Quoted message said:

    How old is Lance anyway... 12? What a [censored]. Great bike racer, great cancer
    survivor, but a [censored].

    http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/040715/3/50zz.html

    Lemond: "Lance is ready to do anything to keep his secret but I don't
    know how long he can convince everybody of his innocence."

    What would your response be, Bob? I personally thought the fake sneeze
    was funny. Much better than Greg's attack. After all, Lance's
    accusation can be proven.

  9. "Philo" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    How old is Lance anyway... 12? What a [censored]. Great bike racer, great
    cancer
    survivor, but a [censored].

    http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/040715/3/50zz.html

    Lemond: "Lance is ready to do anything to keep his secret but I don't
    know how long he can convince everybody of his innocence."

    What would your response be, Bob? I personally thought the fake sneeze
    was funny. Much better than Greg's attack. After all, Lance's
    accusation can be proven.

    It's going to be very interesting to see how Armstrong progresses in
    retirement. He'll no longer be on the bike generating the amount of
    publicity he does now which means people will be less likely to keep their
    mouths shut and grovel to make the dollar. Over the long haul, it's going to
    be Armstrong sticking his foot down his throat more and more. I got a call
    yesterday from a non-cycling friend who had seen the Playboy interview and
    his comment was that he never realized what a jerk Armstrong is. Priceless.

  10. Philo said:
    Quoted message said:

    How old is Lance anyway... 12? What a [censored]. Great bike racer, great cancer
    survivor, but a [censored].

    http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/040715/3/50zz.html

    Lemond: "Lance is ready to do anything to keep his secret but I don't
    know how long he can convince everybody of his innocence."

    What would your response be, Bob? I personally thought the fake sneeze
    was funny. Much better than Greg's attack. After all, Lance's
    accusation can be proven.

    Maybe they're both [censored].

    -eric

  11. "Eric Hill" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Philo said:
    Quoted message said:

    How old is Lance anyway... 12? What a [censored]. Great bike racer, great
    cancer
    survivor, but a [censored].

    http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/040715/3/50zz.html

    Lemond: "Lance is ready to do anything to keep his secret but I don't
    know how long he can convince everybody of his innocence."

    What would your response be, Bob? I personally thought the fake sneeze
    was funny. Much better than Greg's attack. After all, Lance's
    accusation can be proven.

    Maybe they're both [censored].

    -eric

    AFAIK, there are very few people other than Armstrong who speak ill of
    Lemond. He has a reputation as being a really nice guy.

  12. "B. Lafferty" <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    AFAIK, there are very few people other than Armstrong who speak ill of


    Lemond. He has a reputation as being a really nice guy.

    Oh, I've always wanted to do a Google hit statistic:

    Results 1 - 10 of about 281 for +lemond +[censored].

    Results 1 - 10 of about 1,300 for +lemond +"nice guy". (46 to 1: nice)

    Results 1 - 10 of about 27,400 for +armstrong +[censored].

    Results 1 - 10 of about 48,100 for +armstrong +"nice guy". (~2 to 1: nice)

  13. Bob said:
    Quoted message said:

    ARMSTRONG:: I'll be a fitness junkie forever, not out of shape like
    some guys. But I'm not naming names... achoo-lemond!

    How old is Lance anyway... 12? What a [censored]. Great bike racer, great cancer
    survivor, but a [censored].


    Did you actually believe that was real?

    R.

  14. On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 21:38:52 GMT, "B. Lafferty" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:


    "Philo" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    How old is Lance anyway... 12? What a [censored]. Great bike racer, great
    cancer
    survivor, but a [censored].

    http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/040715/3/50zz.html

    Lemond: "Lance is ready to do anything to keep his secret but I don't
    know how long he can convince everybody of his innocence."

    What would your response be, Bob? I personally thought the fake sneeze
    was funny. Much better than Greg's attack. After all, Lance's
    accusation can be proven.

    It's going to be very interesting to see how Armstrong progresses in
    retirement. He'll no longer be on the bike generating the amount of
    publicity he does now which means people will be less likely to keep their
    mouths shut and grovel to make the dollar. Over the long haul, it's going to
    be Armstrong sticking his foot down his throat more and more. I got a call
    yesterday from a non-cycling friend who had seen the Playboy interview and
    his comment was that he never realized what a jerk Armstrong is. Priceless.

    dumbass

  15. On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 21:49:56 GMT, Eric Hill <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:


    Maybe they're both [censored].

    -eric

    If you want a "nice guy" go over to the losers lounge and hang out
    with Jan.

  16. B. Lafferty said:


    AFAIK, there are very few people other than Armstrong who speak ill of
    Lemond. He has a reputation as being a really nice guy.

    So is it that "niceness" that prompted him to make accusations against
    Armstrong with no evidence?

    Looks like a clear case of envy to me. Lance trumped his
    comeback-from-disaster story big time, and Lemond is certainly not the
    "greatest American cyclist" anymore. He's worried about being
    forgotten, and the only way he can stay "in there" is by trying to get
    people to suspect Armstrong's legitimacy. It's pathetic.

    I'm no great fan of Armstrong's personality, and I suspect he was/is
    using banned substances... mostly because of all the evidence that it
    is common... but I'm even less a fan of Lemond's attitude; even if he
    was clean.

  17. Geraard Spergen says...

    Quoted message said:

    Results 1 - 10 of about 1,300 for +lemond +"nice guy". (46 to 1: nice)

    Quoted message said:

    Results 1 - 10 of about 48,100 for +armstrong +"nice guy". (~2 to 1: nice)

    I conclude that nice guys win less Tours.

    No wonder I never made it there...

  18. "Geraard Spergen" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:1121811536.ee0d78072f0e21eb04a0e2b703c6da29@teranews...

    Quoted message said:


    "B. Lafferty" <[email hidden]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    AFAIK, there are very few people other than Armstrong who speak ill of


    Lemond. He has a reputation as being a really nice guy.

    Oh, I've always wanted to do a Google hit statistic:

    Results 1 - 10 of about 281 for +lemond +[censored].

    Results 1 - 10 of about 1,300 for +lemond +"nice guy". (46 to 1: nice)

    Results 1 - 10 of about 27,400 for +armstrong +[censored].

    Results 1 - 10 of about 48,100 for +armstrong +"nice guy". (~2 to 1: nice)

    Google results are meaningless in this regard. I was referring to people
    who know him well personally.

    FWIW, googling Armstrong [censored] comes up with 96,600; Lemond [censored] 886.
    FWIW :-)

  19. "David Ferguson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 21:49:56 GMT, Eric Hill <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:


    Maybe they're both [censored].

    -eric

    If you want a "nice guy" go over to the losers lounge and hang out
    with Jan.

    Every team should have a loser of his stature and record.

  20. David Ferguson <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    If you want a "nice guy" go over to the losers lounge and
    hang out with Jan.

    LOL, I guess then to each his own. In 25 years:

    a) Lance will have the showcase of stuff to remind him of
    his 7 great TdF wins;

    b) Jan will still have friends.

    :-)

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.