General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

are very ripe tomatoes still edible?

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 33 posts · 652 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
24 April 2006
Last activity
28 April 2006
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
33
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
652
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 33
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I usually buy more tomatoes than I use the same day. After a few days
    they will start getting very soft/ripe. Are they still edible or have
    they started to rot and should be discarded?

    If they are edible, what sort of food could I use them in? They quickly
    get too soft to cut nicely and use in a salad.

  2. Quoted message said:

    I usually buy more tomatoes than I use the same day. After a few days
    they will start getting very soft/ripe. Are they still edible or have
    they started to rot and should be discarded?

    If they are edible, what sort of food could I use them in? They quickly
    get too soft to cut nicely and use in a salad.

    Tomato sauce.

    -sw

  3. Quoted message said:

    I usually buy more tomatoes than I use the same day. After a few days
    they will start getting very soft/ripe. Are they still edible or have
    they started to rot and should be discarded?

    Taste.

    Quoted message said:

    If they are edible, what sort of food could I use them in?

    BLT

    Quoted message said:

    They quickly get too soft to cut nicely and use in a salad.

    Get a sharper knife.

    Sheldon

  4. Quoted message said:

    I usually buy more tomatoes than I use the same day. After a few days
    they will start getting very soft/ripe. Are they still edible or have
    they started to rot and should be discarded?

    If they are edible, what sort of food could I use them in? They quickly
    get too soft to cut nicely and use in a salad.

    Salsa

  5. Quoted message said:

    I usually buy more tomatoes than I use the same day. After a few days
    they will start getting very soft/ripe. Are they still edible or have
    they started to rot and should be discarded?

    If they are edible, what sort of food could I use them in? They quickly
    get too soft to cut nicely and use in a salad.

    I generally blanch and peel over-ripe tomatoes, then chop them fine into
    some sort of sauce.

    If they are moldy, the I toss them.

    Om

  6. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I usually buy more tomatoes than I use the same day. After a few days
    they will start getting very soft/ripe. Are they still edible or have
    they started to rot and should be discarded?

    If they are edible, what sort of food could I use them in? They quickly
    get too soft to cut nicely and use in a salad.

    Why don't you refrigerate them before they become so overripe?

  7. Doug Kanter said:

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I usually buy more tomatoes than I use the same day. After a few days
    they will start getting very soft/ripe. Are they still edible or have
    they started to rot and should be discarded?

    If they are edible, what sort of food could I use them in? They quickly
    get too soft to cut nicely and use in a salad.

    Why don't you refrigerate them before they become so overripe?

    That's not going to stop them.... 😉
    Only slow them down.

    Om

  8. Doug Kanter said:

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I usually buy more tomatoes than I use the same day. After a few days
    they will start getting very soft/ripe. Are they still edible or have
    they started to rot and should be discarded?

    If they are edible, what sort of food could I use them in? They quickly
    get too soft to cut nicely and use in a salad.

    Why don't you refrigerate them before they become so overripe?

    If you chill them they loose all/most of the flavor. Thats why a lot
    of the tomatoes you buy are so tasteless.

  9. "George" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Doug Kanter said:

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I usually buy more tomatoes than I use the same day. After a few days
    they will start getting very soft/ripe. Are they still edible or have
    they started to rot and should be discarded?

    If they are edible, what sort of food could I use them in? They quickly
    get too soft to cut nicely and use in a salad.

    Why don't you refrigerate them before they become so overripe?

    If you chill them they loose all/most of the flavor. Thats why a lot of
    the tomatoes you buy are so tasteless.

    Actually, that's NOT why the ones you buy are tasteless. As far as the ones
    you refrigerate at home, take them out of the fridge 1/2 hour ahead of time.
    It's a concept! 🙂

  10. "OmManiPadmiOmelet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Doug Kanter said:

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I usually buy more tomatoes than I use the same day. After a few days
    they will start getting very soft/ripe. Are they still edible or have
    they started to rot and should be discarded?

    If they are edible, what sort of food could I use them in? They quickly
    get too soft to cut nicely and use in a salad.

    Why don't you refrigerate them before they become so overripe?

    That's not going to stop them.... 😉
    Only slow them down.

    Om

    Obviously! But, the way the OP's doing things now, I get the sense that
    things are progressing too fast. Of course, it said "I usually buy more than
    I need", so....duh. Buy less?

  11. George said:
    Doug Kanter said:

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I usually buy more tomatoes than I use the same day. After a few days
    they will start getting very soft/ripe. Are they still edible or have
    they started to rot and should be discarded?

    If they are edible, what sort of food could I use them in? They quickly
    get too soft to cut nicely and use in a salad.

    Why don't you refrigerate them before they become so overripe?

    If you chill them they loose all/most of the flavor. Thats why a lot of
    the tomatoes you buy are so tasteless.

    That's the most rediculous thing I've ever heard!
    There is nothing wrong with refrigerating tomatoes to slow down
    over-ripening.

    The reason many store tomatoes are tasteless is because they are picked
    green and not vine-ripened.

    Try growing your own. I let them ripen on the vine then will refrigerate
    to preserve. The flavor is explosive. ;-d

    I eat them sun-warmed right off the vine as much as I can, but one can
    only eat so much at one time. <G>

    Om

  12. Doug Kanter said:

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I usually buy more tomatoes than I use the same day. After a few days
    they will start getting very soft/ripe. Are they still edible or have
    they started to rot and should be discarded?

    If they are edible, what sort of food could I use them in? They quickly
    get too soft to cut nicely and use in a salad.

    Why don't you refrigerate them before they become so overripe?

    Refrigeration murders the flavor... never refrigerate fresh tomatoes.

    Sheldon

  13. Steve Wertz said:
    Quoted message said:

    I usually buy more tomatoes than I use the same day. After a few days
    they will start getting very soft/ripe. Are they still edible or have
    they started to rot and should be discarded?

    If they are edible, what sort of food could I use them in? They quickly
    get too soft to cut nicely and use in a salad.

    Tomato sauce.

    Salad tomatoes are lousy for sauce, too juicy.

    Sheldon

  14. Doug Kanter said:

    "George" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Doug Kanter said:

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    If you chill them they loose all/most of the flavor. Thats why a lot of
    the tomatoes you buy are so tasteless.

    Actually, that's NOT why the ones you buy are tasteless.

    Why are they tasteless?

  15. Doug Kanter said:

    "George" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Doug Kanter said:

    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    >I usually buy more tomatoes than I use the same day. After a few days
    >they will start getting very soft/ripe. Are they still edible or have
    >they started to rot and should be discarded?
    >
    >If they are edible, what sort of food could I use them in? They quickly
    >get too soft to cut nicely and use in a salad.

    Why don't you refrigerate them before they become so overripe?

    If you chill them they loose all/most of the flavor. Thats why a lot of
    the tomatoes you buy are so tasteless.

    Actually, that's NOT why the ones you buy are tasteless. As far as the ones
    you refrigerate at home, take them out of the fridge 1/2 hour ahead of time.
    It's a concept! 🙂

    Too late... fruit of the nightshade family lose flavor from cold,
    permanently.

    Sheldon

  16. "jay" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Doug Kanter said:

    "George" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Doug Kanter wrote:
    > <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    > news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    If you chill them they loose all/most of the flavor. Thats why a lot of
    the tomatoes you buy are so tasteless.

    Actually, that's NOT why the ones you buy are tasteless.

    Why are they tasteless?

    Some are varieties which are primarily bred to have tougher skin, because
    bruise less and ship ship better. Notice in seeds catalogs that specialty
    tomatoes may say "Bred to store longer in the autumn", or "earliest variety
    ever known to man", but they often make no claims for taste. Finally, some
    of the tomatoes you get in the store are ripened less than others before
    being packed. I know they can ripen on the counter, but they don't taste
    quite the same as one that's gone further on the plant.

  17. "Sheldon" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Doug Kanter said:

    "George" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Doug Kanter wrote:
    > <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >
    >>I usually buy more tomatoes than I use the same day. After a few days
    >>they will start getting very soft/ripe. Are they still edible or have
    >>they started to rot and should be discarded?
    >>
    >>If they are edible, what sort of food could I use them in? They
    >>quickly
    >>get too soft to cut nicely and use in a salad.
    >
    > Why don't you refrigerate them before they become so overripe?

    If you chill them they loose all/most of the flavor. Thats why a lot
    of
    the tomatoes you buy are so tasteless.

    Actually, that's NOT why the ones you buy are tasteless. As far as the
    ones
    you refrigerate at home, take them out of the fridge 1/2 hour ahead of
    time.
    It's a concept! 🙂

    Too late... fruit of the nightshade family lose flavor from cold,
    permanently.

    Sheldon

    That doesn't explain the fact that locally grown greenhouse tomatoes taste
    just fine after refrigeration. And, I'm comparing them to what I've grown
    over the years.

    Never mind, though. If the OP's tomatoes are ripening too fast and too much,
    the options are limited. Toss them, refrigerate them, or make sauce.

  18. "Sheldon" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Doug Kanter said:

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I usually buy more tomatoes than I use the same day. After a few days
    they will start getting very soft/ripe. Are they still edible or have
    they started to rot and should be discarded?

    If they are edible, what sort of food could I use them in? They quickly
    get too soft to cut nicely and use in a salad.

    Why don't you refrigerate them before they become so overripe?

    Refrigeration murders the flavor... never refrigerate fresh tomatoes.

    Sheldon

    It's not that the refrigeration ruins the tomatoes. The issue is that they
    simply taste different because they're cold. Take them out of the
    refrigerator a while before using them.

  19. OmManiPadmiOmelet said:
    George said:
    Doug Kanter said:

    <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    > I usually buy more tomatoes than I use the same day. After a few days
    > they will start getting very soft/ripe. Are they still edible or have
    > they started to rot and should be discarded?
    >
    > If they are edible, what sort of food could I use them in? They quickly
    > get too soft to cut nicely and use in a salad.
    >

    Why don't you refrigerate them before they become so overripe?

    If you chill them they loose all/most of the flavor. Thats why a lot
    of the tomatoes you buy are so tasteless.

    That's the most rediculous thing I've ever heard!
    There is nothing wrong with refrigerating tomatoes to slow down
    over-ripening.

    Actual fact, I remember reading that a few years ago where the "tomato
    growers board" paid to investigate why tomatoes were tasteless. This was
    the quality tomatoes that weren't picked green. They found that
    something (precise technical term) was permanently stopped when the
    tomatoes were brought below a certain temperature. The quality tomatoes
    I get at the local market even have "do not refrigerate" labels.

    Quoted message said:


    The reason many store tomatoes are tasteless is because they are picked
    green and not vine-ripened.

    Try growing your own. I let them ripen on the vine then will refrigerate
    to preserve. The flavor is explosive. ;-d

    I eat them sun-warmed right off the vine as much as I can, but one can
    only eat so much at one time. <G>

    Om

  20. Doug Kanter said:

    I know they can ripen on the counter, but they don't taste
    quite the same as one that's gone further on the plant.

    I used to believe that too. One season we were threatened by a very early
    freeze and I had some plants that were started late in the fall with
    about 400 tomatoes that were very green on the vine. I decided to pick
    them rather than let them freeze. They ripened perfectly over a
    fairly long period of time and tasted as good as ones I have picked ripe
    on the vine. It didn't even freeze. <sigh>

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.