Road Cycling · Public discussion

Are the classic's less exciting these days...................

Started by Charles Hizark · · Last activity · 8 posts · 720 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
20 April 2004
Last activity
21 April 2004
Original author
Charles Hizark
Posts
8
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
720
Views / 30 days
10

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–8 of 8
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. A few weeks ago there was a report that some of the race
    sponsors were having problems getting some sponsors.

    Well after watching some of the classics I think I know one
    of the reasons why....!!! The classic's seem like they are
    missing something with so many of the big stars missing. No
    Lance, no Jan, No Simoni...... Eddy Merckx said a few years
    ago that cycling is a spectacle and needs Panache...ie
    excitement. Now I can certainly understand why the Lance and
    others would avoid Paris Roubaix. I am glad too see that the
    cobbled sections has been re-introduced into the TDF.
    Hopefully the UCI's council on professional cycling has
    changed things for the better.

  2. "Charles Hizark" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    A few weeks ago there was a report that some of the race
    sponsors were having problems getting some sponsors.

    Well after watching some of the classics I think I know
    one of the reasons why....!!! The classic's seem like they
    are missing something with so many of the big stars
    missing. No Lance, no Jan, No Simoni...... Eddy Merckx
    said a few years ago that cycling is a spectacle and needs
    Panache...ie excitement. Now I can certainly understand
    why the Lance and others would avoid Paris Roubaix. I am
    glad too see that the cobbled sections has been re-
    introduced into the TDF. Hopefully the UCI's council on
    professional cycling has changed things for the better.

    Hoste, Hincappie, Vandenbrooke, Van Petegem and three dozen
    other musclebound strongmen don't have enough "panache" for
    you? So instead you want some guy who couldn't sprint his
    way out of a three legged race, a fat man who goes fast in
    one race a year and an Italian whose greatest claim to fame
    is that he wins a Giro when there's no one else in shape?

  3. In article <[email hidden]>, Tom

    Kunich said:

    "Charles Hizark" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    A few weeks ago there was a report that some of the race
    sponsors were having problems getting some sponsors.

    Well after watching some of the classics I think I know
    one of the reasons why....!!! The classic's seem like
    they are missing something with so many of the big stars
    missing. No Lance, no Jan, No Simoni...... Eddy Merckx
    said a few years ago that cycling is a spectacle and
    needs Panache...ie excitement. Now I can certainly
    understand why the Lance and others would avoid Paris
    Roubaix. I am glad too see that the cobbled sections has
    been re-introduced into the TDF. Hopefully the UCI's
    council on professional cycling has changed things for
    the better.

    Hoste, Hincappie, Vandenbrooke, Van Petegem and three
    dozen other musclebound strongmen don't have enough
    "panache" for you? So instead you want some guy who
    couldn't sprint his way out of a three legged race, a fat
    man who goes fast in one race a year and an Italian whose
    greatest claim to fame is that he wins a Giro when there's
    no one else in shape?

    Tom, Charles is speaking from the "everyman" point of view
    that doesn't follow pro bike racing close enough to know
    about anyone other than a few big names. Eventually he may
    learn why there are so many contenders in the Classics who
    are not the same guys who will contend in the grand tours.

    Rebellin?! Show of hands...Who picked him to win from that
    group of 6 riders?

    -WG

  4. Quoted message said:

    A few weeks ago there was a report that some of the race
    sponsors


    were

    Quoted message said:

    having problems getting some sponsors.

    Well after watching some of the classics I think I know
    one of the reasons why....!!! The classic's seem like they
    are missing


    something

    Quoted message said:

    with so many of the big stars missing. No Lance, no Jan,
    No Simoni...... Eddy Merckx said a few years ago that
    cycling is a spectacle and needs Panache...ie excitement.
    Now I can certainly understand why the Lance and others
    would avoid Paris Roubaix. I am glad too see that the
    cobbled sections has been re-introduced into


    the

    Quoted message said:

    TDF. Hopefully the UCI's council on professional cycling
    has changed things for the better.

    I think the lack of excitement this year also has to do with
    the good weather. With bad weather, like rain in P-R, hard
    winds etc., it's much more spectacular to watch and it
    doesn't make much difference who's riding. Maybe we can
    blame global warming for the lack of the typical spring and
    fall storms and rain what makes the classics more
    interesting.

    "Charles Hizark" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    A few weeks ago there was a report that some of the race
    sponsors


    were

    Quoted message said:

    having problems getting some sponsors.

    Well after watching some of the classics I think I know
    one of the reasons why....!!! The classic's seem like they
    are missing


    something

    Quoted message said:

    with so many of the big stars missing. No Lance, no Jan,
    No Simoni...... Eddy Merckx said a few years ago that
    cycling is a spectacle and needs Panache...ie excitement.
    Now I can certainly understand why the Lance and others
    would avoid Paris Roubaix. I am glad too see that the
    cobbled sections has been re-introduced into


    the

    Quoted message said:

    TDF. Hopefully the UCI's council on professional cycling
    has changed things for the better.

  5. "Ronald" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    A few weeks ago there was a report that some of the race
    sponsors


    were

    Quoted message said:

    having problems getting some sponsors.

    Well after watching some of the classics I think I know
    one of the reasons why....!!! The classic's seem like
    they are missing


    something

    Quoted message said:

    with so many of the big stars missing. No Lance, no Jan,
    No Simoni...... Eddy Merckx said a few years ago that
    cycling is a spectacle and needs Panache...ie
    excitement. Now I can certainly understand why the Lance
    and others would avoid Paris Roubaix. I am glad too see
    that the cobbled sections has been re-introduced into


    the

    Quoted message said:

    TDF. Hopefully the UCI's council on professional cycling
    has changed things for the better.

    I think the lack of excitement this year also has to do
    with the good weather. With bad weather, like rain in P-R,
    hard winds etc., it's much more spectacular to watch and
    it doesn't make much difference who's riding. Maybe we can
    blame global warming for the lack of the typical spring
    and fall storms and rain what makes the classics more
    interesting.


    Lack of excitement? Milan-San Remo once again had the sprinting-
    climbers attack and try and get away. They didn't and it
    came down to a double world champion, a 4-time MSR winner
    and the worlds best sprinter in a showdown. Yes, very
    boring. From where I was standing on the Paterberg and
    Bosberg, it was extremely windy all day during the RVV (and
    wet and cold at the beginning). Hincapie just said on
    PezCycling that all the favorites were blown by the end
    because the race was so hard. All the favorites reached the
    Muur together, the best cobbled classics guy who had yet to
    win a classic at that time, jumps clear. Bettini went clear
    of his group over the top of the Bosberg but couldn't catch
    the break. Weseman was an immensely deserving winner. Going
    back through 1992 at least, there were no RVVs run in very
    wet conditions. Paris-Roubaix was run in dry conditions, not
    as dramatic on TV, but the winner of 3 of cycling's 5
    Monuments (Tafi) prefers it that way. Who are we to argue?
    In the last 25 km, we had Bonnen and Hincapie clear and
    getting caught. On the Carrefour de L'Arbre, Museeuw led
    Weseman at the front of the race with PVP in solo pursuit.
    Boring? Amstel Gold had 5 stars in a final break of 6
    (Kessler ain't so bad either). Boring. I think this year
    proves, once again, why April is the greatest month of the
    year. -Mike

  6. [email hidden] (Charles Hizark) schreibt
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    A few weeks ago there was a report that some of the race
    sponsors were having problems getting some sponsors.

    Well after watching some of the classics I think I know
    one of the reasons why....!!!

    Maybe it's the economy. Maybe it's the war. Maybe it's the
    doping scandals. Maybe it's really nothing at all, just a
    lull, as things go in cycles (no pun intended.)

    I find the classics riveting. I can't watch them live, I
    can't even get OLN because my lousy local cable cabal have
    conspired against the village I live in. I do manage to
    follow the live updates on CN and enjoy those quite a bit. I
    wish I had the vacation time and a few bucks to rub together
    to go see a few of these in person. Maybe next year.

  7. Quoted message said:

    Rebellin?! Show of hands...Who picked him to win from that
    group of 6 riders?

    more so who would have picked him for a back to back?

  8. "Mike Owens" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Lack of excitement? Milan-San Remo once again had the sprinting-
    climbers attack and try and get away. They didn't and it
    came down to a double world champion, a 4-time MSR winner
    and the worlds best sprinter in a showdown. Yes, very
    boring. From where I was standing on the Paterberg and
    Bosberg, it was extremely windy all day during the RVV
    (and wet and cold at the beginning). Hincapie just said on
    PezCycling that all the favorites were blown by the end
    because the race was so hard. All the favorites reached
    the Muur together, the best cobbled classics guy who had
    yet to win a classic at that time, jumps clear. Bettini
    went clear of his group over the top of the Bosberg but
    couldn't catch the break. Weseman was an immensely
    deserving winner. Going back through 1992 at least, there
    were no RVVs run in very wet conditions. Paris-Roubaix was
    run in dry conditions, not as dramatic on TV, but the
    winner of 3 of cycling's 5 Monuments (Tafi) prefers it
    that way. Who are we to argue? In the last 25 km, we had
    Bonnen and Hincapie clear and getting caught. On the
    Carrefour de L'Arbre, Museeuw led Weseman at the front of
    the race with PVP in solo pursuit. Boring? Amstel Gold had
    5 stars in a final break of 6 (Kessler ain't so bad
    either). Boring. I think this year proves, once again, why
    April is the greatest month of the year.

    The classics are really the only thing about April I do
    like... everything else, like the last month of classes, the
    allergies, the unpredictable weather, the taxes, I can take
    or leave. The Arenberg Forest alone redeemed that,
    somewhat... what beautiful, fairy-tale scenery, and what
    dreadful, frightening racing.

    -Sonarrat.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.