General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Are Ramblers neo-communists?

Started by AMacmil304 · · Last activity · 12 posts · 476 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
18 September 2004
Last activity
21 September 2004
Original author
AMacmil304
Posts
12
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
476
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–12 of 12
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I recently read that the Ramblers movement originated from communism.

    Is this true?

    Can anyone shed any light on this?

  2. Quoted message said:

    I recently read that the Ramblers movement originated from communism.

    The rambling movement's ethos of the late nineteenth centuries owed more to the
    radicalist philosphies of Thomas Paine and John Stuart Mill.
    ---
    John Gardner
    Caving Routes in the Northern Pennines: http://braemoor.co.uk/cavingtrip
    A Walking Guide to Chartreuse: http://braemoor.co.uk/chartreuse

  3. "AMacmil304" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I recently read that the Ramblers movement originated from communism.

    Is this true?

    Can anyone shed any light on this?

    The mass trespass of Kinder Scout in 1932 was instigated by the British
    Workers' Sport Federation, largely made up of members and supporters of the
    Communist Party. See link for more details.

    http://pubs.socialistreviewindex.org.uk/sr229/renton.htm

  4. [email hidden] (AMacmil304) wrote in news:20040918070301.09094.00000855
    @mb-m21.aol.com:

    Quoted message said:

    I recently read that the Ramblers movement originated from communism.

    Is this true?

    Can anyone shed any light on this?

    If you mean rising up against the state then yes I would agree with that.
    The Mass Treaspass was a kind of revolution. But I don't see how modern
    descriptions of Rambling and Communism work so well together.

    --
    Adrian

  5. "Adrian Tupper" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] (AMacmil304) wrote in
    news:20040918070301.09094.00000855
    @mb-m21.aol.com:

    Quoted message said:

    I recently read that the Ramblers movement originated from communism.
    Is this true?
    Can anyone shed any light on this?

    If you mean rising up against the state then yes I would agree with that.
    The Mass Treaspass was a kind of revolution. But I don't see how modern
    descriptions of Rambling and Communism work so well together.

    The Kinder Scout trespass was by ramblers - not by Ramblers. The RA did not
    exist at the time.

    The mass trepsss was organised by Benny Rothman, a member of the British
    Workers Sports Federation, which is associated with the Young Communist
    Leagure - see
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,4342623,00.html

    Cheers
    Andrew Kay

  6. In message <[email hidden]>, Adrian Tupper
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] (AMacmil304) wrote in news:20040918070301.09094.00000855
    @mb-m21.aol.com:

    Quoted message said:

    I recently read that the Ramblers movement originated from communism.

    Is this true?

    Can anyone shed any light on this?

    If you mean rising up against the state then yes I would agree with that.
    The Mass Treaspass was a kind of revolution. But I don't see how modern
    descriptions of Rambling and Communism work so well together.


    The National Council of Ramblers Federations, which became the Ramblers
    Association in 1935, opposed the trespass, as did Tom Stephenson,
    access campaigner, founder of the Pennine Way and first full time
    secretary of the Ramblers Association.

    The idea for the trespass came from the British Workers' Sports
    Federation, described in Roly Smith's excellent "Kinder Scout: Portrait
    of a Mountain", as "communist-inspired".

    See http://www.ramblers.org.uk/info/ramblers/history.html for the RA's
    take on its history.

  7. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I recently read that the Ramblers movement originated from communism.

    If you mean rising up against the state then yes I would agree with that.
    The Mass Treaspass was a kind of revolution. But I don't see how modern
    descriptions of Rambling and Communism work so well together.

    The difficulty with that is that the rambling movement started in the
    nineteenth century, so the Mass Trespass has nothing to do with its origins. As
    I said in an earlier post, if one wishes to associate the origins with a
    philosophical ethos, one would be better looking towards the radical writings
    of Thomas Paine and John Stuart Mill.

    John
    ---
    John Gardner
    Caving Routes in the Northern Pennines: http://braemoor.co.uk/cavingtrip
    A Walking Guide to Chartreuse: http://braemoor.co.uk/chartreuse

  8. [email hidden] (John Gardner) wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I recently read that the Ramblers movement originated from
    communism.

    If you mean rising up against the state then yes I would agree with
    that. The Mass Treaspass was a kind of revolution. But I don't see
    how modern descriptions of Rambling and Communism work so well
    together.

    The difficulty with that is that the rambling movement started in the
    nineteenth century, so the Mass Trespass has nothing to do with its
    origins. As I said in an earlier post, if one wishes to associate the
    origins with a philosophical ethos, one would be better looking
    towards the radical writings of Thomas Paine and John Stuart Mill.

    At last, a link between philosophy and walking.

    --
    Adrian

  9. "Andrew Kay" <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:


    "Adrian Tupper" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] (AMacmil304) wrote in
    news:20040918070301.09094.00000855
    @mb-m21.aol.com:

    Quoted message said:

    I recently read that the Ramblers movement originated from
    communism. Is this true?
    Can anyone shed any light on this?

    If you mean rising up against the state then yes I would agree with
    that. The Mass Treaspass was a kind of revolution. But I don't see
    how modern descriptions of Rambling and Communism work so well
    together.

    The Kinder Scout trespass was by ramblers - not by Ramblers. The RA
    did not exist at the time.

    The mass trepsss was organised by Benny Rothman, a member of the
    British Workers Sports Federation, which is associated with the Young
    Communist Leagure - see
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,4342623,00.html

    Yes, good point. The Mass Treaspass was, however, a pivotal point
    in the history of walking and it makes me a bit sad that it wasn't
    organised by a bunch of walkers.

    --
    Adrian

  10. Chris Townsend <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    In message <[email hidden]>, Adrian Tupper
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] (AMacmil304) wrote in
    news:20040918070301.09094.00000855 @mb-m21.aol.com:

    Quoted message said:

    I recently read that the Ramblers movement originated from
    communism.

    Is this true?

    Can anyone shed any light on this?

    If you mean rising up against the state then yes I would agree with
    that. The Mass Treaspass was a kind of revolution. But I don't see
    how modern descriptions of Rambling and Communism work so well
    together.


    The National Council of Ramblers Federations, which became the
    Ramblers Association in 1935, opposed the trespass, as did Tom
    Stephenson, access campaigner, founder of the Pennine Way and first
    full time secretary of the Ramblers Association.

    The idea for the trespass came from the British Workers' Sports
    Federation, described in Roly Smith's excellent "Kinder Scout:
    Portrait of a Mountain", as "communist-inspired".

    See http://www.ramblers.org.uk/info/ramblers/history.html for the RA's
    take on its history.

    I wonder what they would think of the post-FMD walks to re-open the
    countryside. Or indeed the progression through the parliaments of
    the access bills.

    --
    Adrian

  11. "Adrian Tupper" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Chris Townsend <[email hidden]> wrote in
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    In message <[email hidden]>, Adrian Tupper
    <[email hidden]> writes

    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] (AMacmil304) wrote in
    news:20040918070301.09094.00000855 @mb-m21.aol.com:

    > I recently read that the Ramblers movement originated from
    > communism.
    >
    > Is this true?
    >
    > Can anyone shed any light on this?
    >
    >
    >
    >

    If you mean rising up against the state then yes I would agree with
    that. The Mass Treaspass was a kind of revolution. But I don't see
    how modern descriptions of Rambling and Communism work so well
    together.


    The National Council of Ramblers Federations, which became the
    Ramblers Association in 1935, opposed the trespass, as did Tom
    Stephenson, access campaigner, founder of the Pennine Way and first
    full time secretary of the Ramblers Association.

    The idea for the trespass came from the British Workers' Sports
    Federation, described in Roly Smith's excellent "Kinder Scout:
    Portrait of a Mountain", as "communist-inspired".

    See http://www.ramblers.org.uk/info/ramblers/history.html for the RA's
    take on its history.

    I wonder what they would think of the post-FMD walks to re-open the
    countryside. Or indeed the progression through the parliaments of
    the access bills.


    Or even the procession THROUGH the UK parliament whiich occurred last week.
    (OK - it was only a very small procession!)

    druidh

  12. In a recent message <[email hidden]>,
    AMacmil304 <[email hidden]> wrote.

    Quoted message said:

    I recently read that the Ramblers movement originated from communism.

    Is this true?


    [...]

    To me, it seems more likely that it grew from the availability of
    cheap-day-return tickets on the railways, long before the days of the
    mass-trespasses.

    But yes, the socialist movement did use access to private land for
    recreation as a weapon in the class struggle.

    Regards,
    Nick.
    --
    Nick Hopton and Anne Hopton
    Caversham, Reading, England
    <[email hidden]>

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.