Road Cycling · Public discussion

Are Powerbar's OK for recovery?

Started by Paul Kossa · · Last activity · 21 posts · 1,178 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
19 May 2004
Last activity
26 May 2004
Original author
Paul Kossa
Posts
21
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,178
Views / 30 days
1

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 21
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I know the catalogs say they're for "before" and "during."
    But I compared the Powerbar's ingrediants to my current
    recovery aid -- Endurox R4 -- and discovered that the
    nutritional profile is very similar? Any opinions . . . ?

  2. Paul Kossa said:

    I know the catalogs say they're for "before" and "during."
    But I compared the Powerbar's ingrediants to my current
    recovery aid -- Endurox R4 -- and discovered that the
    nutritional profile is very similar? Any opinions . . . ?

    You worry too much.

    Bill "popcorn and ice cream bars" S.

  3. I suggest eating some good protiens and clean carbs. I
    wouldn't put that [censored] in my system after I work out. Iti is
    okay during, due to you are on the run, but you should have
    some time to prepare something of much better value at home.

    Curt

    "Paul Kossa" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I know the catalogs say they're for "before" and "during."
    But I compared the Powerbar's ingrediants to my current
    recovery aid -- Endurox R4 -- and discovered that the
    nutritional profile is very similar? Any opinions . . . ?

  4. "Paul Kossa" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I know the catalogs say they're for "before" and "during."
    But I compared the Powerbar's ingrediants to my current
    recovery aid -- Endurox R4 -- and discovered that the
    nutritional profile is very similar? Any opinions . . . ?

    I would only eat powerbars, as opposed to powerbar's.

    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky Please replace earthlink for mouse-potato
    and .net for .com Home of the meditative cyclist:
    home.earthlink.netWelcome.htm See the
    books I've set free at:
    bookcrossing.comCpetersky

  5. S o r n i said:
    Paul Kossa said:

    I know the catalogs say they're for "before" and
    "during." But I compared the Powerbar's ingrediants to
    my current recovery aid -- Endurox R4 -- and discovered
    that the nutritional profile is very similar? Any
    opinions . . . ?

    Quoted message said:

    You worry too much.

    Quoted message said:

    Bill "popcorn and ice cream bars" S.

    There's a danger that eating anything with the texture of
    Powerbars after cycling will provide a strong negative
    reinforcement, discouraging further riding.

    Don't fret in detail about what's in the stuff (as long as
    it's not dodgy "supplements."😉. But real food (not too much
    junk food) with some protein and carbohydrates is likely to
    be as good or better after riding as any touted recovery
    aid. Plus, it tastes like food.

  6. S o r n i said:
    Paul Kossa said:

    compared the Powerbar's ingrediants to my current
    recovery aid --

    You worry too much.

    Bill "popcorn and ice cream bars" S.

    Agreed.
    --
    Rick "Manicotti and ravioli" Onanian

  7. Claire Petersky said:

    I would only eat powerbars, as opposed to powerbar's.

    No matter how many I try, I can't eat either one.
    --
    Rick "PB crackers & single-serving Applesauce" Onanian

  8. "Rick Onanian" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Wed, 19 May 2004 04:12:35 GMT, "Claire Petersky" <cpetersky@mouse-

    potato.com said:

    I would only eat powerbars, as opposed to powerbar's.

    No matter how many I try, I can't eat either one.

    Well, if you were going to eat one, you'd want the
    powerbars.

    apostrophe.fsnet.co.ukapostrophe.fsnet.co.uk

    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky Please replace earthlink for mouse-potato
    and .net for .com Home of the meditative cyclist:
    home.earthlink.netWelcome.htm See the
    books I've set free at:
    bookcrossing.comCpetersky

  9. Paul Kossa said:

    I know the catalogs say they're for "before" and "during."
    But I compared the Powerbar's ingrediants to my current
    recovery aid -- Endurox R4 -- and discovered that the
    nutritional profile is very similar? Any opinions . . . ?

    I just wonder why you'd choose these over real food.

    Matt O.

  10. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Matt O'Toole

    BPaul Kossa said:

    I know the catalogs say they're for "before" and "during."
    But I compared the Powerbar's ingrediants to my current
    recovery aid -- Endurox R4 -- and discovered that the
    nutritional profile is very similar? Any opinions . . . ?

    I just wonder why you'd choose these over real food.

    Matt O. [/B]


    Like what? I know that protein is good for recovery but can someone give me ideas on good recovery foods?

    Dan.

  11. "BanditManDan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]

    [...]

    Quoted message said:

    Like what? I know that protein is good for recovery but
    can someone give me ideas on good recovery foods?

    Hydrolyzed whey protein and high GI carbs in a 1:2 ratio
    immediately after the exercise (1 gram carb per 2lb
    bodyweight and half that amount of protein). Eat solid food
    including a protein source 1 to 2 hours after that to stop
    your body going catabolic.

    --

    A: Top-posters.
    B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

  12. On Thu, 20 May 2004 03:57:58 +1000, "DRS" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    "BanditManDan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]

    [...]

    Quoted message said:

    Like what? I know that protein is good for recovery but
    can someone give me ideas on good recovery foods?

    Hydrolyzed whey protein and high GI carbs in a 1:2 ratio
    immediately after the exercise (1 gram carb per 2lb
    bodyweight and half that amount of protein). Eat solid food
    including a protein source 1 to 2 hours after that to stop
    your body going catabolic.

    Two excellent posts in a row. Nice.

    -B (this one and the 3000 miles recent post: "Cycling is an
    aerobic activity. It does little to preserve muscle mass
    because it primarily recruits Type I fibres (endurance). It
    also doesn't burn as many calories as people think."😉

  13. BanditManDan said:

    I know that protein is good for recovery but can someone
    give me ideas on good recovery foods?

    I like some fruit and cottage cheese after a ride.
    --
    terry morse Palo Alto, CA bike.terrymorse.combike.terrymorse.com

  14. "Terry Morse" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    BanditManDan said:

    I know that protein is good for recovery but can someone
    give me ideas on good recovery foods?

    I like some fruit and cottage cheese after a ride.

    I go for those outrageously expensive Odwallas -- usually
    the Mo' Beta, but the Superfood will oddly appeal, too.

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky Please replace earthlink for mouse-potato
    and .net for .com Home of the meditative cyclist:
    home.earthlink.netWelcome.htm See the
    books I've set free at:
    bookcrossing.comCpetersky

  15. "Terry Morse" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    BanditManDan said:

    I know that protein is good for recovery but can someone
    give me ideas on good recovery foods?

    I like some fruit and cottage cheese after a ride.

    I go for those outrageously expensive Odwallas -- usually
    the Mo' Beta, but the Superfood will oddly appeal, too.

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky Please replace earthlink for mouse-potato
    and .net for .com Home of the meditative cyclist:
    home.earthlink.netWelcome.htm See the
    books I've set free at:
    bookcrossing.comCpetersky

  16. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Terry Morse

    BBanditManDan said:

    I know that protein is good for recovery but can someone
    give me ideas on good recovery foods?

    I like some fruit and cottage cheese after a ride.
    --
    terry morse Palo Alto, CA bike.terrymorse.combike.terrymorse.com [/B]

    That sounds good. How about beef jerky? Would that work, it's low fat and high in protein?

  17. BanditManDan said:

    How about beef jerky? Would that work, it's low fat and
    high in protein?

    I guess so, if you like that sort of stuff. Jerky
    tastes pretty nasty to me. Don't forget the recovery
    carbs, as well.

    Yesterday, I had a shake of fat-free milk with some maple
    syrup and one scoop of vegetable protein. It was tasty and
    satisfying.
    --
    terry morse Palo Alto, CA bike.terrymorse.combike.terrymorse.com

  18. Terry Morse said:
    BanditManDan said:

    How about beef jerky? Would that work, it's low fat and
    high in protein?

    I guess so, if you like that sort of stuff. Jerky
    tastes pretty nasty to me. Don't forget the recovery
    carbs, as well.

    Yesterday, I had a shake of fat-free milk with some maple
    syrup and one scoop of vegetable protein. It was tasty and
    satisfying.

    Vegetable Protein. Isn't that stuff was made from those
    muscular, genetically enhanced carrots.

    -B

  19. Badger_South said:

    Vegetable Protein. Isn't that stuff was made from those
    muscular, genetically enhanced carrots.

    Seriously, there is such a thing? The stuff I have is
    from Naturade:

    "Naturade Soy-Free Veg is pure vegetable protein. This
    unique blend of high-quality protein from pea, rice, potato,
    barley and spirulina provides a balanced supply of amino
    acids. Methionine and lysine are added to match the amino
    acid profile of animal protein."

    To my palate, it tastes much better than the soy
    protein powder.
    --
    terry morse Palo Alto, CA bike.terrymorse.combike.terrymorse.com

  20. Terry Morse said:
    Badger_South said:

    Vegetable Protein. Isn't that stuff was made from those
    muscular, genetically enhanced carrots.

    Seriously, there is such a thing? The stuff I have is from
    Naturade:

    Naw, man, I was just joshin'...sort of a play on "Who Goes
    There?" by Don
    A. Stuart / John W. Campbell Jr. or The Thing From Another
    World... imdb.comtt0044121

    Ned "Scotty" Scott: "Please doctor, I've got to ask this. It
    sounds like, well, just as though you're describing some
    form of super carrot."

    Quoted message said:

    "Naturade Soy-Free Veg is pure vegetable protein. This
    unique blend of high-quality protein from pea, rice,
    potato, barley and spirulina provides a balanced supply of
    amino acids. Methionine and lysine are added to match the
    amino acid profile of animal protein."

    To my palate, it tastes much better than the soy
    protein powder.

    In the age of mad cow, it might be an acceptable
    alternative. The Methionine and Lysine can be made in an
    a.a. synthesizer. One might ask the manufacturer the
    source of these.

    (Whey Protein, the animal version, is made partly with eggs
    and partly with milk by-products...and who knows what else?)

    -B

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.