Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Are all cyclists [censored]?

Started by montreal5 · · Last activity · 45 posts · 3,858 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
16 August 2006
Last activity
20 August 2006
Original author
montreal5
Posts
45
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,858
Views / 30 days
20

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 45
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I live in NY, so my perception may be skewed, but are most "cyclists" [censored]? I ride my bike becuase it affords me personal freedom, and an outlet for whatever stresss I may accumulate. I have no need to be the fastest man in the park, have the most expensive bike, or the perfectly coordinated outfit. The best ride I ever had was in the empty farmlands north of the city, not in a peleton.

    I recently got scammed into a subscription for Bicycling magazine, and for me this somewhat typifies the cyclist culture, deification of professional cyclists and worship of gear. Anyway, I'd love to hear some shout outs from amateurs, becuase I know there are an infinitely larger numbers of "us" than there are of "them."

  2. i think you rblanket use of the word "[censored]" is a bit thick. you could take any collection of people and find a range from [censored] to saints.

    however, i think your judgement is particularly exasperated by your location. another post in the "bike cafe" forum is ranting pretty hard about NYC cyclists.

    i find that down here in SW Florida- even the most die-hard pace line still moves over for the old guy on his townie and still waves to a passing jogger.

    i wish you a better cycling envirnoment.

  3. montreal5 said:

    I live in NY, so my perception may be skewed, but are most "cyclists" [censored]? I ride my bike becuase it affords me personal freedom, and an outlet for whatever stresss I may accumulate. I have no need to be the fastest man in the park, have the most expensive bike, or the perfectly coordinated outfit. The best ride I ever had was in the empty farmlands north of the city, not in a peleton.

    I recently got scammed into a subscription for Bicycling magazine, and for me this somewhat typifies the cyclist culture, deification of professional cyclists and worship of gear. Anyway, I'd love to hear some shout outs from amateurs, becuase I know there are an infinitely larger numbers of "us" than there are of "them."


    I'm not sure I'm understanding your problem here. Just because you have your reasons for riding your bike and someone else has other motivations makes neither them nor you a "[censored]". It sounds like you need to be more secure about your own self and why you want to ride your bike and not worry about other folks.

  4. Eden said:

    I'm not sure I'm understanding your problem here. Just because you have your reasons for riding your bike and someone else has other motivations makes neither them nor you a "[censored]". It sounds like you need to be more secure about your own self and why you want to ride your bike and not worry about other folks.

    My observation that "cycling" culture fixates on a small portion of the bike-riding community (ie Landis et al) to the exclusion of the vast majority of people who rides bikes. I think its a case of the tailo wagging the dog.

  5. montreal5 said:

    I live in NY, so my perception may be skewed, but are most "cyclists" [censored]? I ride my bike becuase it affords me personal freedom, and an outlet for whatever stresss I may accumulate. I have no need to be the fastest man in the park, have the most expensive bike, or the perfectly coordinated outfit. The best ride I ever had was in the empty farmlands north of the city, not in a peleton.

    I recently got scammed into a subscription for Bicycling magazine, and for me this somewhat typifies the cyclist culture, deification of professional cyclists and worship of gear. Anyway, I'd love to hear some shout outs from amateurs, becuase I know there are an infinitely larger numbers of "us" than there are of "them."

    I don't think that Bicycling magazine represents the cross-section of American cycling. Its coverage of racing sucks---Velonews is much better. It does a lousy job discussing repair. I don't subscribe. What it does do is present lots of lists of "top 10 ways to do this" or "8 quick fixes for that", etc.... It is a commercial magazine that needs to sell adds-thus the emphasis on gear.

    Yes, some riders out on the road are image conscious--perhaps that is a product of the "lance" effect, as is the media focus on pro racing in July. They'll give up cycling when it is less cool-or when Americans stop being successful. How much coverage of men's pro tennis do you see these days now that there are no top American men??

    One could ask whether cyclists in NY are "[censored]" in any greater proportion than New Yorkers in general?

  6. John M said:

    One could ask whether cyclists in NY are "[censored]" in any greater proportion than New Yorkers in general?

    Yes, we NYers are [censored], but cycling really brings out the aggressive, egoists.

  7. i would say that nyc gets a bad rap

    generally i find that in most high density urban places your gonna get [censored]

    lots of people thinking they are much better than the man next to them

    we all need to get drunk more often

  8. Well...I am a [censored], pure and simple.:eek:
    Check out my signature at the bottom of this post. 😄
    However, If I played hockey, would you ask whether all hockey players were [censored]? the fact that I cycle is not relevant to the fact that I AM a [censored]. It is just coincidence. Cause and effect.
    I would definitely be a [censored] and [censored] whether or not I cycled.:p
    Trust this will help you on your journey of self-discovery😎
    (By the way, I assumed "[censored]" was an Australian slang word and was unaware that Americans recognised it....well, we learn something new every day!)

  9. montreal5 said:

    I live in NY, so my perception may be skewed, but are most "cyclists" [censored]? I ride my bike becuase it affords me personal freedom, and an outlet for whatever stresss I may accumulate. I have no need to be the fastest man in the park, have the most expensive bike, or the perfectly coordinated outfit. The best ride I ever had was in the empty farmlands north of the city, not in a peleton.

    I recently got scammed into a subscription for Bicycling magazine, and for me this somewhat typifies the cyclist culture, deification of professional cyclists and worship of gear. Anyway, I'd love to hear some shout outs from amateurs, becuase I know there are an infinitely larger numbers of "us" than there are of "them."

    Equipment wise, I guess its a bit like golf. Some players have the best clubs where others are happy with whatever they have. Its a personal choice.

    Fashion wise, once again its personal choice. Perhaps the style police would have something to say to some of us. he he.

    Peleton riding and empty farmlands riding are quite different. I do both and enjoy both. Once again its personal choice.

    What kind of sexual activities you persue is once again personal choice. Who am I to past judgement on someone who's personal choice is different to mine.

  10. montreal5 said:

    I live in NY, so my perception may be skewed, but are most "cyclists" [censored]?


    [cheapshot] I don't know about most, but right now I can definitely think of one ... 🙄 [/cheapshot]

  11. yeah, I'm a bit of a [censored]. Cycling is a [censored] sport :p
    Shaved and moisterised legs? CAAAAARMON!! We're all [censored] 🙂

  12. OK my workmate just had a go at me. We ride together to and from work, he abused me five minutes ago because my legs are hairy. "You better shave them !!!"
    This has prompted me to go from [censored] Grade 2 to [censored] Grade 1. As Darth Vader said, "it is now complete, Luke, you have fulfilled your destiny" or similar words.
    No turning back now

  13. this is how I used to justify stuff to my bogan (hick) mates when I used to care, and some if is true:

    The shoes are a given, but why do I need white ones? :p
    The shaved legs are for "3 massages a week" -- I never did that.
    The pants are for comfort.
    The shirt is for the pockets, coz I need to carry SO much stuff, and it's bright
    so I don't get run over

  14. I reckon everyone's a [censored] to some degree - cyclists, non-cyclists, bike riders, amateurs, pros, "us", "them",whatever.

    The thing is, who really cares.....?

  15. montreal5 said:

    Yes, we NYers are [censored], but cycling really brings out the aggressive, egoists.


    I think there is something about cycling that attracts type A personality a-holes. I don't know what it is, but there are a lot of them. You get together with the guys to play some hoops and no one is pretending like they are pros, but you get in a group of cyclists and a good percentage act like they are training for the Tour de France. It is amazing how important a 100 grams is to someone who's "racing" consists of charity rides.

  16. Aussie Steve said:

    Well...I am a [censored], pure and simple.:eek:
    Check out my signature at the bottom of this post. 😄
    However, If I played hockey, would you ask whether all hockey players were [censored]? the fact that I cycle is not relevant to the fact that I AM a [censored]. It is just coincidence. Cause and effect.
    I would definitely be a [censored] and [censored] whether or not I cycled.:p
    Trust this will help you on your journey of self-discovery😎
    (By the way, I assumed "[censored]" was an Australian slang word and was unaware that Americans recognised it....well, we learn something new every day!)

    Too true. I thought [censored] wasn't in the average american (or canadian) vocabulary. If you see one, two, or eight cyclers that are [censored], don't assume they all are. When you know every person that rides a bike, and can confirm that every single one of them is a [censored], then say that all cyclers are [censored]. If you mean the cyclers that have a sub 7 kilo bike with lightweights, or any carbon wheels, and still get passed by the battler on the steel frame up a hill, then yes....they could well be [censored].

  17. montreal5 said:

    I live in NY, so my perception may be skewed, but are most "cyclists" [censored]? I ride my bike becuase it affords me personal freedom, and an outlet for whatever stresss I may accumulate. I have no need to be the fastest man in the park, have the most expensive bike, or the perfectly coordinated outfit. The best ride I ever had was in the empty farmlands north of the city, not in a peleton.

    I recently got scammed into a subscription for Bicycling magazine, and for me this somewhat typifies the cyclist culture, deification of professional cyclists and worship of gear. Anyway, I'd love to hear some shout outs from amateurs, becuase I know there are an infinitely larger numbers of "us" than there are of "them."

    ''Are all NYorkers [censored]?'' You know the answer to that.

  18. bobbyOCR said:

    Too true. I thought [censored] wasn't in the average american (or canadian) vocabulary. If you see one, two, or eight cyclers that are [censored], don't assume they all are. When you know every person that rides a bike, and can confirm that every single one of them is a [censored], then say that all cyclers are [censored]. If you mean the cyclers that have a sub 7 kilo bike with lightweights, or any carbon wheels, and still get passed by the battler on the steel frame up a hill, then yes....they could well be [censored].

    [censored] was being used in New Zealand in the 70's. Seems it have encircled the world.

    Bike vs Performance as a measure of wankerism. Interesting concept. If I take out my 1980's steel rat bike and burn off some guys on flash bikes, does that make them [censored] because I was quicker on a rat bike, or does that make me the [censored] because I'm showing off?

  19. mikesbytes said:

    [censored] was being used in New Zealand in the 70's. Seems it have encircled the world.

    Bike vs Performance as a measure of wankerism. Interesting concept. If I take out my 1980's steel rat bike and burn off some guys on flash bikes, does that make them [censored] because I was quicker on a rat bike, or does that make me the [censored] because I'm showing off?

    Not exactly what I meant. But funny. not necessarily. I mean if a guy goes and buys lightweights because he can, for 'the look' where he could spend that on a training system to get better, then can't keep it up on the local rises with everyone else in the bunch. That guy may not be a [censored], but i think it brings him close enough to it.

  20. At one time I had somewhat of a superior ,elitist attitude, but I recognized my problem and reformed.
    Now that I have shed that one flaw I am absolutely perfect and above ridicule unlike simple folks.
    BTW: Call me MR. [censored]!

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.