rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Anyway to prevent dents/scratches?

Started by ParadoX · · Last activity · 11 posts · 446 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
1 October 2004
Last activity
2 October 2004
Original author
ParadoX
Posts
11
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
446
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–11 of 11
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have noticed that when your learing on a UNI you tend to drop it quite
    a bit. Is there anyway to stop it? I was thinking along the lines of
    some sort of guard around the seat and/or fork. Any suggestions?

    -ParadoX

    --
    ParadoX

    -"There is nothing to fear but fear its self."
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ParadoX's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8015
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35371

  2. You sound like me when I started. I did not want to ding up my big
    investment.

    Probably the only ways to prevent scratches and dings is 1) don't drop
    it or 2) don't ride it. Since neither of these is going to happen,
    consider that a few scratches and dings here and there will give it some
    character. Also helps to identify your uni when somebody else with the
    same type of uni leaves theirs next to yours.

    Be careful with your uni but ride and have a good time.

    --
    mucRider - Old Unicycling Newbie

    Anything with more than one wheel is too complicated!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    mucRider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6119
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35371

  3. yeah I guess so, I shouldnt worry too much about it I suppose

    --
    ParadoX - Unicycling Newbie/Computer Expert

    -"There is nothing to fear but fear its self."
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ParadoX's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8015
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35371

  4. If you're fairly competent at falling and generally land on your feet,
    get into the habit of grabbing the seat when you start to fall.

    I don't really practice tricks, just spend hours riding so I don't have
    that many falls, but they do happen and it's very rare that my seat gets
    near the ground.

    --
    onewheeldave - Semi Skilled Unicyclist

    "He's also been known to indulge in a spot of flame juggling - but it's
    the Muni that really fires him up."

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    onewheeldave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/874
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35371

  5. What cycle do you have? Or more importantly, which saddle do you have
    on it? Most of the newer and better saddles can take a fair amount of
    abuse from dropping.

    Daniel

    --
    daino149 - On Vacation - till i find a job

    Check out my pics: www.unicyclist.com/gallery/daino Updated: 04.07.03
    Kaena
    Bugman - "if you are a little left of them, it would seem like they are
    on the right"
    Sig count: 2

    04.05.23 11214
    04.05.25 11284
    04.05.26 11329
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    daino149's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/933
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35371

  6. You can try and cover the saddle w/ a thick sports sock(s). Remove it
    from the saddle post, put it in a sock, and sew the end of the sock. Cut
    a small hole where the srews are and mount them back again. When falling
    becomes infrequent, you can take off the sock. (You can even color
    coordinate the sock.)

    --
    jawnz - Almost level 1 unicyclist

    Those who long for immortality don't know what to do on a rainy Sunday
    afternoon.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    jawnz's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7765
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35371

  7. a sock eh? Clever. Why did'nt I think of that?

    --
    ParadoX - Unicycling Newbie/Computer Expert

    -"There is nothing to fear but fear its self."
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ParadoX's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8015
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35371

  8. Just my personal philosophy:

    Brand new shiny white sneakers? Walk on the tops of them.

    Brand new expensive skis with cool graphics? Grind those edges first
    run.

    Brand new uni? Wipe out...it's only a matter of time anyway.

    😎

    --
    tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

    Tailgate at your own risk.....

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    tomblackwood's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3762
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35371

  9. tomblackwood said:

    *Just my personal philosophy:

    Brand new shiny white sneakers? Walk on the tops of them.

    Brand new expensive skis with cool graphics? Grind those edges first
    run.

    Brand new uni? Wipe out...it's only a matter of time anyway.

    😎 *

    Amen. It's like getting nice comfy new furniture and putting clear
    plastic over it. My trials uni is less than a week old. The first day or
    two, it was pristeen, and everyone thought it was gorgeous, but now that
    I've broken it in a little and it has some scuffs on it, i get people
    asking me what happened there? How did you do that? So i say, oh I was
    riding down some stairs and it fell. Then they get impressed at the
    danger of it or something.

    the point is: Scratches and scuffs are like unicycle battle scars.
    They're what unicycles use for bragging rights in unicycle prisons

    --
    BoojiBoy - Punk Rock Rider

    www.skawabunga.tk
    www.purevolume.com/skawabunga
    www.epluribusfunk.tk
    gallery.unicyclist.com/epluribusfunk
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BoojiBoy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3923
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35371

  10. onewheeldave said:

    * grabbing the seat when you start to fall.

    I don't really practice tricks, just spend hours riding so I don't
    have that many falls, but they do happen and it's very rare that my
    seat gets near the ground. *

    Same here ,,, I never saw the 'stunts' until I started reading here.

    I would never jump down anything that would bend my frame.
    (old uni not made for these type of stunts)

    The trick is to get a new one once your 'learned'.

    My original uni was my dad's ,,, and it was already beatup.
    It was really beatup once I got done with it,, and he took it way.
    (bought me the one I have now in the pics)

    So, I learned real quick to grab the seat on my new one.
    (hard to hold on to the 'old style' seat on mine without ripping the
    cover off)

    You get better at it... it's like a golf swing. Once you have it,,, it's
    good. But, you have to stay with it.
    (That goes for almost anything you do thou,,,

    "if you don't use it,,, you lose it" ... 😄 )

    happy uni-ing !

    --
    DigitalDave - scabless
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DigitalDave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8003
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35371

  11. yeah I guess its true, I just get very posessive about my stuff. (I yell
    at anyone who tries to scuff my shoes) Oh well, it will blow over and I
    wont care soon

    --
    ParadoX - Unicycling Newbie/Computer Expert

    -"There is nothing to fear but fear its self."
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ParadoX's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8015
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/35371

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.